PDA

View Full Version : Free agent RB?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-02-2012, 03:33 AM
Taking a guess here we need to sign a FA RB. Mendy may be done for the year and Moore has been out , possibly coming back this week. Dwyer and Batch are both on IR. That leaves us only Redman & Clay.

What free agent RB is out there that could step in? To throw one name out there what about Westbrook? We need a pass catching RB cause we need to go more spread to move the flippin ball. Another possible name would be Buckhalter.

mshifko
01-02-2012, 10:22 AM
That baron batch injury looms as it seems he had a great start to TC

Oviedo
01-02-2012, 10:31 AM
That baron batch injury looms as it seems he had a great start to TC

I agree. If he had been able to translate his camp performance to the regular season he could be having a good rookie season and a great opportunity right now.

Not sure who is on the street that would add any value but I think the Mendenhall injury could derail our play off run.

phillyesq
01-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Former Bronco Ryan Torain is a free agent. Not sure that he would be much of an asset, but at this point, the Steelers would be pretty much looking for a healthy emergency back.

The more likely move for the Steelers would be activating Chad Spann from the p.s.

Steel Life
01-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Laurence Maroney? Tyrell Sutton? Ryan Torain? Tashard Choice?...Tiki Barber? :stirpot

Mister Pittsburgh
01-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Tiki - edgerin James - Portis - Larry Johnson - Julius jones - ladell betts - Sean Alexander -
Westbrook - marony - lendale white - Garrett Wolfe

No idea if any of these guys are in any kind of shape but I read Clay was limping after the game.

Maybe our hand will be forced & we won't have any RB's & our gameplan will be to spread teams out & go high octane. We need to get to where we can put up 30 per game to win it all.

flippy
01-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Let's see what Spann can do. I was pretty excited when we signed him. I thought he was a FA with some great upside coming out of college. Michael Turner turned out pretty good out of Northern Illinois and Spann score more TDs in a season than Turner ever did.

Clay and Spann could be our Thunder and Lightning on the run to #7.

More likely, we'll force Moore to come back and be ready.

SidSmythe
01-02-2012, 12:27 PM
David Johnson baby!!!!

fordfixer
01-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Former Bronco Ryan Torain is a free agent. Not sure that he would be much of an asset, but at this point, the Steelers would be pretty much looking for a healthy emergency back.

The more likely move for the Steelers would be activating Chad Spann from the p.s.

Torain was brought to the Redskins by Mike Shanahan from the Broncos. He had some injuries There, However could be a good pick up IIRC he is a hard runner

Mister Pittsburgh
01-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Holy smokes. I didn't even realize we had picked up another RB in Spann.

NorthCoast
01-02-2012, 01:05 PM
I know there are plenty of Mendenhall supporters on this board, but I dont think we will miss him as much as some think. He continues to frustrate me with how he comes to a complete stop at the line when he doesnt see a hole. He also hits the hole with his head too high (ref. the complete smackdown by the Browns LB when he had a hole to hit).

Sans the fumbles, Redman had a very decent game, made some key 1st downs that I guarantee RM would not have made. Remember, Mendy had fumblitis early in his career. This was the first time we have seen Redman have an issue (weather could have been a factor, as there was a cold drizzle most of the game).
I continue to believe if RM wants big money, he wont be a Steeler and I have no problem with that at all.

Sugar
01-02-2012, 01:08 PM
What's Willie Parker up to these days? :stirpot

JAR
01-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Where's Verron Haynes? :)

Jooser
01-02-2012, 01:52 PM
I know there are plenty of Mendenhall supporters on this board, but I dont think we will miss him as much as some think. He continues to frustrate me with how he comes to a complete stop at the line when he doesnt see a hole. He also hits the hole with his head too high (ref. the complete smackdown by the Browns LB when he had a hole to hit).

Sans the fumbles, Redman had a very decent game, made some key 1st downs that I guarantee RM would not have made. Remember, Mendy had fumblitis early in his career. This was the first time we have seen Redman have an issue (weather could have been a factor, as there was a cold drizzle most of the game).
I continue to believe if RM wants big money, he wont be a Steeler and I have no problem with that at all.

Save the Mendenhall hate speech, he's done this season. I do guarantee that Redman had 2 fumbles yesterday though....

:roll:

NorthCoast
01-02-2012, 02:21 PM

Save the Mendenhall hate speech, he's done this season. I do guarantee that Redman had 2 fumbles yesterday though....

:roll:

No hate here, ...just ambivalent to RM. Dont think his style is the best fit for our crappy OL. Think he can be easily replaced (as was FWP).

mshifko
01-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Bettis still looks good :)

focosteeler
01-02-2012, 02:34 PM

I believe playing in the UFL....he wanted to come back, give him a tryout :stirpot

SidSmythe
01-02-2012, 02:49 PM

I believe playing in the UFL....he wanted to come back, give him a tryout :stirpot

You know this isn't a bad idea.
The problem with Mendy going down is that we only had 2 RBs on our current roster with game experience. Bringing in a foreigner or bringing up a rookie makes me nervous.

Shawn
01-02-2012, 03:04 PM
I volunteer my services. 38 yo, 145 pounds of pure thunder. Call me.

:mrgreen:

pittpete
01-02-2012, 03:12 PM

Hows ya dance moves?

7 UP
01-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Anyone know what the rules are in regards to making additions to your team in the post season? Im not sure the Steelers can go outside the organization for help at this point.

fordfixer
01-02-2012, 03:27 PM

:mrgreen:
Call you what? :lol:

Mister Pittsburgh
01-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Anyone know what the rules are in regards to making additions to your team in the post season? Im not sure the Steelers can go outside the organization for help at this point.
I was wondering the same but figured most teams carry one K and one P & I would think if you P injured his ACL you could pick one up. Would obviously have to be a street FA as rosters are locked. Insane to think about but quick Willie may be an option since he is actively playing.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-02-2012, 03:49 PM
I say shock teams & line Hines up at RB in a single back set from shotgun every offensive play with Heath & Saunders lined up off each tackle & Wallace & Brown manning the sidelines.

pittpete
01-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Steelers signed Madison, so I guess we can pick up street freeagents/

OTOH, would be awesome seeing Hines in the backfield as a 2nd RB though.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-02-2012, 05:40 PM

He would be the perfect back for single back sets. He can pick up the blitz & catch. Could throw as well.

flippy
01-02-2012, 10:25 PM

He would be the perfect back for single back sets. He can pick up the blitz & catch. Could throw as well.

And he can catch shovel passes that go for -3 yards. ;)

frankthetank1
01-03-2012, 12:09 AM

mendenhall frustrates me a ton. i like redman's style much more. he hits the hole so much quicker and is a lot harder to tackle than mendenhall. the biggest loss is mendenhall's receiving ability and depth at RB. i hope moore can come back because he is the only really good rb we have to catch passes. i really hope redman protects the ball better because he has some serious potential

Captain Lemming
01-03-2012, 12:30 AM

You know who I am convinced would be a GREAT RB? Troy.

Look at how he handles int returns. Dude has vision, ridiculous burst, can cut on a dime, can make you miss. He has an RB body type. Powerful leg drive. If he can leap over the line to make a tackle dont you KNOW he can do that totin the rock at the goaline, which is much easier.

I see a Walter Peyton WITH MORE SPEED.

We will never see it, and he would get injured even more than he does now, but that dude has ridiculous skills.

He played the position way back in high school. Give him one training camp and he would be a freak at RB just like he is at safety.