PDA

View Full Version : Be honest can this offense take us deep into the playoffs?

pittpete
01-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Be honest, take off your rah rah Steeler glasses...
What is going on with this offense?
I know this isnt a new revelation,but we just cant score and just cant put a game away.
I mean 13 points against the Browns, Im so angry. :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger
Ben looked like crap, almost every pass was high.
Wallace looked like he was high.
Heath continues to be ignored in the passing game.
2 more turnovers,another missed FG, Ben taking a sack to take us out of FG range,a bad holding call to take us out of FG range, continued failure in the Redzone,Kemo with another late cheapshot.
Mendenhall done.
Do you honestly feel that this offense can turn it around for the playoffs and what makes you think things will change?
Im really hoping so, defense has carried this team most of the year.
This is not a whine, just want some peoples opinions...
Thanks

hawaiiansteel
01-01-2012, 10:48 PM
we're gonna win it all, baby! :tt2

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Best-of-the-Burgh-Blogs/Pulling-No-Punches/November-2010/Tomlin-Arians.jpg

flippy
01-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Maybe we can scrap the running game and go 5 wide no huddle for the entire playoff run.

5 of 6 of Brown, Wallace, Sanders, Miller, Saunders, Cotchery should be uncoverable.

Ghost
01-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Denver has a much better D than the browns and the Steelers will need to play a ton better next week just to get out of the wildcard.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-01-2012, 10:54 PM
in a word, no.

but inevitably some here will blame lebeau.

hawaiiansteel
Maybe we can scrap the running game and go 5 wide no huddle for the entire playoff run.

5 of 6 of Brown, Wallace, Sanders, Miller, Saunders, Cotchery should be uncoverable.

I would substitute Hines Ward in for Saunders, Hines is a gamer.

pittpete

If thats an honest response, what makes you think its uncoverable.Browns seemed to be able to stop it with regularity today.
Ben would probably get killed. :cry:

Snatch98
01-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Where are all the Rah Rah Redman supporters? I like Issac but with Mendenhall down we're going to be in a bad place. Unless Arians gets creative with the run game, fat chance of that happening. Although if Ben can get healthy (without the bye not likely) I think we still have as good a chance as any especially if Woodley can get back to full strength. Clay also hasn't looked bad so we roll with a legit two headed monster and hope Ben can channel some more playoff magic.

Losing Mendenhall is a huge blow and should shout loud and clear his worth to the Steelers.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Where are all the Rah Rah Redman supporters? I like Issac but with Mendenhall down we're going to be in a bad place. Unless Arians gets creative with the run game, fat chance of that happening. Although if Ben can get healthy (without the bye not likely) I think we still have as good a chance as any especially if Woodley can get back to full strength. Clay also hasn't looked bad so we roll with a legit two headed monster and hope Ben can channel some more playoff magic.

Losing Mendenhall is a huge blow and should shout loud and clear his worth to the Steelers.

I know you're a Redman :Hater, but I'm not ready to give up on Ike just yet. Tomlin will be in his ear all week about fumbling. Let's see how he responds.

NJ-STEELER
01-01-2012, 11:14 PM
he fumbled trying to break the tackles of 3 browns and the other on a good hit. he wasnt holding the ball out there like a loaf of bread

he just needs to be a lil smarter when the game situation calls for it (2nd fumble)

Herewegosteelers!
01-01-2012, 11:18 PM
:Agree

fezziwig
01-01-2012, 11:27 PM
No, I don't see it happening. This offense is and has been in such a funk this season and when, I expected them to re-write the Steelers record books.

They have always looked like chaos to me and this season is even worse. Many of their routes or plays are far from crisp. They don't always seem to know when the ball is coming or they just look confused and again, not crisp when executing their plays.
Even with all Bens passing yards, they seem so unorganized.

I don't even know how to explain this offense and it has seemed that way always to me. Maybe it's the bunch formations that makes me think that way but, I really can't put my finger on it.
Once again, the turnovers don't help.

Snatch98
01-01-2012, 11:27 PM

I know you're a Redman :Hater, but I'm not ready to give up on Ike just yet. Tomlin will be in his ear all week about fumbling. Let's see how he responds.

I'm definitely not a redman hater. I love that he runs hard, he fits the steeler mold character wise and he's been great a spell back. What he isn't is a full time back and honestly I hope he proves me wrong. I've just been tired of hearing "we don't need Mendenhall" or "give redman more carries".

Ghost
01-01-2012, 11:28 PM
We better all start praying now this game doesn't come down to a mid range (or longer) field goal because Suisham FLAT OUT SUCKS BALLS!

Snatch98
01-01-2012, 11:34 PM
We better all start praying now this game doesn't come down to a mid range (or longer) field goal because Suisham FLAT OUT SUCKS BALLS!

I'm no Suisham supporter but if you live in Western, PA and stepped outside tonight you'd know it was windy as hell. Yes I'm aware the game was in Cleveland but from a friend that came in for New Years eve and left this afternoon. He said it was every bit as windy in Cleveland, ESPECIALLY with Lake Erie right outside the stadium.

Ghost
01-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Dawson hit from 45 and 49.

Suisham is a joke. And not only do they have to worry about him not hitting, they have to change the game plan whenever it's 4th and short from 35 yards and more and seriously consider having to go for a first. It's ridiculous.

fezziwig
01-01-2012, 11:47 PM
If he is still on the team next season, Tomlin would need his head examined.

fordfixer
01-01-2012, 11:57 PM
I know this isnt a new revelation,but we just cant score and just cant put a game away.
I mean 13 points against the Browns, Im so angry. :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger
2 more turnovers,another missed FG, Ben taking a sack to take us out of FG range,a bad holding call to take us out of FG range, continued failure in the Redzone,Kemo with another late cheapshot.
Mendenhall done.
Do you honestly feel that this offense can turn it around for the playoffs and what makes you think things will change?
Thanks
Your right lets not go to Denver next week lets just give up, get Wallace in rehab, and get rested up for next season. :lol:

pick6
01-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Redzone, Redzone, Redzone

Ball security, ball security, ball security.

At one point we threw about 3 sloppy fade patterns a row while in the redzone

Starlifter
01-02-2012, 12:03 AM
It's been a fun year and I expect most of us thought looking at the schedule this was a 12-13 win team. sure enough, we're a 12 win team.

the rub is, we only looked really strong in every phase in maybe 3 games (cincy, seahawks and NE) - and we really haven't imposed our will on anyone. They talk about our #1 defense - but I really wonder what someone like drew brees or aaron rodgers would do to it. I don't think our offense is likely to win a shootout.

can we make a run? sure. can we win it all? you bet. i just have this gut feeling that we're going to come up short.

on the other hand however, if the steelers DO make it to Indy - it will most likely be with wins in baltimore and new england. call it the 'revenge tour'. That's something that would turn this playoff romp into something legendary.

MaxAMillion
01-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Mendenhall done.
Thanks

There is nothing to whine about. This is a beat up offense. They don't have enough physically to make a run. Sometimes it happens...I am proud of how the entire team has sucked it up through all the injuries. Believe it or not, there is no birthright to win every year.

fezziwig
01-02-2012, 12:08 AM
If you were going to predict the outcome of the season from todays view, who will represent the AFC in the Super Bowl ?

MaxAMillion
01-02-2012, 12:13 AM
If you were going to predict the outcome of the season from todays view, who will represent the AFC in the Super Bowl ?

I picked the Ravens before the season started and I will stick with them. I think they can slow down the Pats enough to win the AFC.

DukieBoy
01-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Honest, with the week-after-week patchwork of an offensive line, with the offensive schemes and puzzling playcalling (what happened to the 3-step drops and slants that worked so well vs N.E. ?), with the poor performance in the red zone, and with the tornovers, I am not confident we go deep into the playoffs. I hope for the best, of course. The defense will have to be outstanding.

Starlifter
01-02-2012, 12:17 AM

even though I said above I'm worried about what some of those NFC offenses would do to our D - I think either the Steelers or the Ravens are the only teams with a chance to win the SB.

Nevertheless, I still don't believe in Flacco. It will be either us or the Pats. If it's the Pats - they will get crushed.

pittpete
01-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Your right lets not go to Denver next week lets just give up, get Wallace in rehab, and get rested up for next season.

How about contributing to the thread?
Who said give up bro?
A question was asked about the offensive funk we are in.
You think Wallaces head was in this game?
Did you see the crossing patterns underneath where several times our recievers bumped into each other?
In an era where the rules are favoring offenses,high scoring games,some teams are putting up 40+ pts a game while we are sputtering on offense.
Nothing to laugh about in my opinion.
I guess we always have the 6 Superbowls to comfort us.
Im hoping they can put it together, but I dont think the defense can continue doing it w/o any help.
Im hoping we come out with a dynamite gameplan like back in 2005.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-02-2012, 12:52 AM
This offense is painful. Time for Ben's uncle Bruce to get the hell out of town. Part of the issue is crap formations, crap play design, and part Ben being an idiot. After this season I really have come to the belief that Ben won't ever run a smooth consistent offense like Rodgers, Brees, or Brady because he isn't as smart as they are.

fordfixer
01-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Your right lets not go to Denver next week lets just give up, get Wallace in rehab, and get rested up for next season.

How about contributing to the thread?
Who said give up bro?
A question was asked about the offensive funk we are in.
You think Wallaces head was in this game?
Did you see the crossing patterns underneath where several times our recievers bumped into each other?
In an era where the rules are favoring offenses,high scoring games,some teams are putting up 40+ pts a game while we are sputtering on offense.
Nothing to laugh about in my opinion.
I guess we always have the 6 Superbowls to comfort us.
Im hoping they can put it together, but I dont think the defense can continue doing it w/o any help.
Im hoping we come out with a dynamite gameplan like back in 2005.
Or at least like the game plan we had against the *'s

pittpete
01-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Or at least like the game plan we had against the *'s
Yes, maybe--hopefully we were waiting for the playoffs and this was their master plan all along...
Conversation after the Patriot game

Bruce Arianus: "Mike, I can make this offense look like Stevie Wonder is calling the plays"

Mike Tomlin: "Brilliant Bruce, brilliant...If anyone can make an offense look like crap,I know you can"

Bruce Arianus: "I will unleash a gameplan like no other defense has seen or stopped before"

Ben Roethlisberger: "So I guess I'll be going no huddle and calling the plays Brucie?"

Bruce Arianus: "You bet your bum ankle Ben,you bet your bum ankle"(as he checks out the Netflix guide for the upcoming week)

sd steel
01-02-2012, 01:10 AM
Is this year any different than any other?

We look about the same as always. We never dominate an entire season. We don't blow teams out regularly...never have. We have a 4000 yard injured passer two 1000 yard receivers and our backs are fine. Our line is not good...but has it been good in the last 6 years? We can go deep into the playoffs, or we can lose in Denver. Our OC always sucks, whether it was Arians, or Whiz or you name it.

I think Steeler fans have short memories. Were we offensively dominant last year, or in 08 or in 05? I would have to say no. But did we go deep in the playoffs? I see alot of chicken littles rising up. As long as we are in the tournament anything can happen...I'm glad we don't have a bye because I think a week off hurts Ben. I like where we are.

Plus you don't even like pierogies Pete, so what do you know? :wft

williar
01-02-2012, 01:28 AM
I'm predicting a loss to the broncos, 10-9. How anyone can ration a team with capable offensive talent, two pro bowl receivers with speed, three crafty veteran pass catchers, and good backs (before Mendy got hurt) along with an alleged elite QB. How we can only barely put 10 points on the board. It is disgustingly painful to watch these 6 to 3 games week in and week out coming down to the wire. Our offense doesn't even look like a professional NFL offense. Put me out of my misery. Just lose this weekend!

sd steel
01-02-2012, 01:31 AM
I'm predicting a loss to the broncos, 10-9. How anyone can ration a team with capable offensive talent, two pro bowl receivers with speed, three crafty veteran pass catchers, and good backs (before Mendy got hurt) along with an alleged elite QB. How we can only barely put 10 points on the board. It is disgustingly painful to watch these 6 to 3 games week in and week out coming down to the wire. Our offense doesn't even look like a professional NFL offense. Put me out of my misery. Just lose this weekend!

Quit watching...or you could go root for Holmes and the Jets...oh yeah, they didn't make the playoffs. :HeadBanger :tt2

pittpete
01-02-2012, 01:34 AM
If we win SD I will eat a pirogie-lol
Yes, these 13-9 games are turning my hair grey and stressing me big time.

williar
01-02-2012, 01:36 AM
Oh shucks! Well! I think I'll give it another week... Thanks for your concern.....

Steelerphile
01-02-2012, 07:08 AM
The intensity level steps up in the playoffs, so I think the Steelers have the capability to shift into another gear. They have enough talent on both sides of the ball to do it, but I don't expect easy victories at all. The fans should keep their heart meds and indigestion tonics at hand because I expect anxiety laden games.

But I for one wouldn't want it any other way. The victory is sweeter when you must face doubt and adversity to attain it. There have always been doubts about whether the team could do it, even during those glory days.

But the one thing I can't stand is a quitter and people who have already given up.

Steelgal
01-02-2012, 08:15 AM
I say no as well.

Not sure if the early great season got in Mike Wallace's head, but he's been terrible the last 3-4 weeks. What irks me about him is when the ball isn't thrown absolutely perfect, he doesn't even try to make a play so the defender can't catch it. He shows very little effort when it's not on the money and that bothers me.

I've been one this year to say don't pay Mendy the big contract because RBs can be replaced, but not starting a playoff run. Losing him is a big blow. Redman had a bad day yesterday, then we have a rookie behind him. Not sure if anyone is available to be picked up, but this is a huge loss.

Suisham is dreadful. He's been dreadful all season. Not sure why he was kept over the kid in the preseason (his name escapes me at the time). I don't trust him for anything over 30 yards. Was in chatroom during the game and at one point, the Browns tried to ice the kicker. With anyone else I would have said it was stupid, but I didn't blame him for trying.

Don't even get me started on Arians or Ben. It was Ben's fault that the field goal was missed. He took a 10+ yard sack on the 3rd down which made it that much harder for Suisham. Throw the dang ball away. He has to learn, especially with a bum ankle to get rid of it. No need to risk further injury or hurt your team by worse field position.

Now some positives, yes there are a few. Antonion Brown showed why he was voted MVP. The kid has so much heart. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite Steelers. So happy when they said he's the first player to have 1,000 receiving AND return yards ever in the same season. Hines, while he's getting slower, still shows he knows how to play and is dependable. Cotchery I think could grow into a great receiver.

The oline is less-than-stellar, but considering all the injuries they've had and all the different lineups they've used, what can you expect? They're doing the best they can and while it won't hold up to make a long run in the playoffs, I fear, it better be addressed it the off season.

Snatch98
01-02-2012, 08:24 AM

lol what?

First off the Browns are a division "rival" and I put that in quotes because we usually stomp that hell out of them. However they always get up for their games against us and other division opponents. Their defensive line is actually pretty stout, really their defense period is pretty stout. Ben is still a little hobbled and Redman despite running well put the ball on the ground twice killing two drives that would have led to points. The same thing happened the first time we played the Browns this season only it was Heath Miller and Ward putting it on the ground killing two scoring drives. I don't necessarily want to put the cart before the horse but Tim Tebow is going to have nightmares about our defense. The guy barely mustered 3 points against the hapless Chiefs.

papillon
01-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Every game develops differently than any that have already been played. You can't say that because they only score 13 against the Browns that they aren't going to hang 30 on the Broncos. The game will present itself in a different way and because of that the offense will have to do things differently.

That being said, the offense is going to have to string together 4 games like the New England game to give the team a chance to go deep into the playoffs and on to the Super Bowl.

I'm not sure what the purpose was having Ben in the game yesterday, unless it was to give more work with a sore ankle to allow him to get more accustomed to playing with the sprain. Me, I would have sat him and hoped that Batch could win the game and give the Steelers a shot at the #2 seed. As it worked out, Ben played, we won, but gained nothing in the seeding.

The offense has to protect the ball, manage the game (with Ben being hobbled), let the defense keep the game manageable and win the game leaning heavily on the defense. Too many pieces of the offense will be watching from the sideline to expect the offense to carry the day.

Pappy

Wilkinsburg
01-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Mendenhall done.
Thanks

The Steelers gain a lot of yardage but don't get the points to show for it. They need to finish drives. That probably comes down to running the ball better. Perhaps these young wide receivers read too much of their own press. Teams are taking Wallace away. One highlight is that the O line is playing better. Maybe having to play a wild card game is a good thing...they have the chance to play themselves out of the scoring funk.

Chadman
01-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Steelers will beat the Tebow's 24-3 riding on the shoulders of Ben, Brown & Essex.

Trust Chadman.

:wink:

JAR
01-02-2012, 11:18 AM
You all should just become Browns fans.. the Steelers make the playoffs just about every year, but so many fans act like we're rooting for the hapless Browns, where their only hope each year is maybe getting a win against us.

I was at the game yesterday... horrible conditions with the wind. Browns fans are the most disgusting, vile, drunken fools I've ever encountered.

Attending that game yesterday made me even more proud to be a Steelers fan. Maybe some of our always negative fans should go check out what we could have.

Oviedo
01-02-2012, 11:31 AM
You all should just become Browns fans.. the Steelers make the playoffs just about every year, but so many fans act like we're rooting for the hapless Browns, where their only hope each year is maybe getting a win against us.

I was at the game yesterday... horrible conditions with the wind. Browns fans are the most disgusting, vile, drunken fools I've ever encountered.

Attending that game yesterday made me even more proud to be a Steelers fan. Maybe some of our always negative fans should go check out what we could have.

Some people can't be happy unless they are unhappy about something.

Anyone who would actually predict that the Broncos will beat us have been living in a cave somewhere. Tebow and their offense are horrible.

You are right though. It is like many "fans" hope that we lose each week so they have something to complain about here. Go root for the Jets and Stupidio. They will give you lots to post about.

feltdizz
01-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Ben needs to stop throwing the ball to Wallace unless he is wide open. Wallace hasn't shown me he can stop a defender from intercepting a poorly thrown ball and yesterday was another example.

Our offense isn't bad we just give the ball away too much. I know we were out of TO's in the first half bu that whole sequence reminded me of how bad our clock management is...

Why was Ben trying trying to clock it instead of taking the obvious time out? Why 2 fade routes that were uncatchable? We still lookl like a JV squad inside the 20.

feltdizz
01-02-2012, 11:39 AM

Anyone who would actually predict that the Broncos will beat us have been living in a cave somewhere. Tebow and their offense are horrible.

You are right though. It is like many "fans" hope that we lose each week so they have something to complain about here. Go root for the Jets and Stupidio. They will give you lots to post about.

Tebow and the offense are horrible but we aren't much better when playing these types of teams. I don't think we will lose but I don't think anyone would be surprised if this game was decided on the last drive.

We should kill this team by 20 but we leave 14 points on the field most weeks.

Oviedo
01-02-2012, 11:45 AM

Tebow and the offense are horrible but we aren't much better when playing these types of teams. I don't think we will lose but I don't think anyone would be surprised if this game was decided on the last drive.

We should kill this team by 20 but we leave 14 points on the field most weeks.

The loss of Mendenhall will hurt a lot, especially if Redman keeps putting the ball on the ground. IMO we will beat these guys by at least 10 points. I just hope the defense can get turnovers like they have been lately and not go into the mode they were in early in the season.

fezziwig
01-02-2012, 11:46 AM
I don't think people are complaining about making the playoffs or being 12-4 but, there is the truth of this team that, they're not playing their best ball at this time. If your happy with just squeeking by inferior teams then, you have lots to be happy about.

If your only happiness is that your not a Browns fan then, you should be happy with always being a 500 team.

It cracks me up that people tell other fans to root for another team if they can't find the same rainbow that others decide that they should sit under.

This team has the nucleus of a good team and that doesn't come around too much for many football teams in the NFL. Everyone knows you strike when the iron is hot and all we want our Steelers to do is be a dominating team. The way they've been playing isn't getting us to the Super Bowl let alone winning it.

I don't settle for being almost good be it in life or whatever. I enjoy the positives of life and the positives that our Steelers have accomplished but, I don't take my eyes off of what needs repaired or could be better.

feltdizz
01-02-2012, 11:56 AM

I appreciate a Steeler fan going to Browns stadium to cheer our team on but i have no idea why I need to be reminded how bad their fans and team are to feel better about the Steelers woes on O.

sd steel
01-02-2012, 11:56 AM
I don't think people are complaining about making the playoffs or being 12-4 but, there is the truth of this team that, they're not playing their best ball at this time. If your happy with just squeeking by inferior teams then, you have lots to be happy about.

If your only happiness is that your not a Browns fan then, you should be happy with always being a 500 team.

It cracks me up that people tell other fans to root for another team if they can't find the same rainbow that others decide that they should sit under.

This team has the nucleus of a good team and that doesn't come around too much for many football teams in the NFL. Everyone knows you strike when the iron is hot and all we want our Steelers to do is be a dominating team. The way they've been playing isn't getting us to the Super Bowl let alone winning it.

I don't settle for being almost good be it in life or whatever. I enjoy the positives of life and the positives that our Steelers have accomplished but, I don't take my eyes off of what needs repaired or could be better.

Well I would say that's great if you could affect some kind of change within the organization to make the team better, but the reality is by you saying you aren't settling just means you are going to complain about all of our deficencies. Basically you are saying that guys who predict a 10-9 loss to the Broncos aren't settling for mediocrity. Can you recall a time that this team was ever consistantly better on offense in the last 7 years than they are now? Was there ever a year when we blew out all the bad teams that we played?

JAR
01-02-2012, 11:58 AM

But what are you going to do about it? You're not an owner or a coach, it's out of your hands so why complain about things that you have no control over? The Steelers are in the playoffs, again, I'm happy. We hear the same negative garbage year in and year out, hell, most of you had them not even making it this year.

It's a whole new season, anything can happen. Maybe some will get your wish by us beating our playoff opponents 35-0 each game. I hear that gets you an extra shiny SB trophy. :)

Oviedo
01-02-2012, 12:02 PM

But what are you going to do about it? You're not an owner or a coach, it's out of your hands so why complain about things that you have no control over? The Steelers are in the playoffs, again, I'm happy. We hear the same negative garbage year in and year out, hell, most of you had them not even making it this year.

It's a whole new season, anything can happen. Maybe some will get your wish by us beating our playoff opponents 35-0 each game. I hear that gets you an extra shiny SB trophy. :)

:Agree Steelers fans are spoiled rotten with our success. I love we have high standards and usually achieve them.

Remember the 80s. I prefer not to. We have one of the top three front offices in the NFL, one of the best staffs and some of the best players in a league which tries everything they can to destroy long term success.

JAR
01-02-2012, 12:14 PM

:Agree Steelers fans are spoiled rotten with our success. I love we have high standards and usually achieve them.

Remember the 80s. I prefer not to. We have one of the top three front offices in the NFL, one of the best staffs and some of the best players in a league which tries everything they can to destroy long term success.

Like snobby little rich kids, nothing is ever good enough... :)

GO STEELERS!

ROLROC
01-02-2012, 12:18 PM

I was at the game yesterday... horrible conditions with the wind.
Agreed.

Sometimes I can't believe the foolishness on this board. The offense played well under the circumstances. When I heard 40 mph winds Friday, I knew this would be a close game.

I feel opposite than most of the comments in this thread. I am optimistic of our chances for a repeat run to the SB, regarding our O. Ben looked fairly mobile. Wallace will not be primarily running crossing routes when conditions are better. Sanders is getting healthy. Hines getting to 1000 in the last game this season was huge- diminishes discussion of whether he will be back next season to get it. 4 wide set with Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Cotch with a healthy Ben should be lethal. Honestly, the most critical piece may be MeMo being able to play if Mendehall is indeed done for the season.

fezziwig
01-02-2012, 12:21 PM
To say wanting your team to do better or to pick up the pace is complaining then, that is much of a complaint too. This is a board to talk football and give opinions. Sorry I'm not in joy that our Steelers have an injured QB, Mendenhalls probably out for the season, our team can't score in the redzone.
I want a Super Bowl win every season, impossible but, I still hope for it.

Go ahead and settle for what life gives you, I hope you have a nice view from your porch.

williar
01-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Good points have been made here. I do recognize that we are a spoiled bunch. The frstrating thing to me is, I think we have more than enough talent to win this thing but for some reasons (schemes, coaching, execution, complacency etc.) hell, I don't know. We just don't play like a well coached, disciplined, hungry football team. It would crush me to see the ravens make to the SB instead of us because I do think we're a better team. We just don't play like it. You can tell the ravens are hungry and on a mission. Although the officiating in that ravens-bengals game was downright criminal against the bengals. Makes me suspicious of this new NFL, don't trust Rog and his cronies.

To make a long story, short. I wish this offense could get it together. We might beat the broncos scoring 10 points. But who else......

fezziwig
01-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Good points have been made here. I do recognize that we are a spoiled bunch. The frstrating thing to me is, I think we have more than enough talent to win this thing but for some reasons (schemes, coaching, execution, complacency etc.) hell, I don't know. We just don't play like a well coached, disciplined, hungry football team. It would crush me to see the ravens make to the SB instead of us because I do think we're a better team. We just don't play like it. You can tell the ravens are hungry and on a mission. Although the officiating in that ravens-bengals game was downright criminal against the bengals. Makes me suspicious of this new NFL, don't trust Rog and his cronies.

To make a long story, short. I wish this offense could get it together. We might beat the broncos scoring 10 points. But who else......

Watch it with speaking the truth. Don't you know only the bad weather applied to the Steelers while going against a bckup QB on a 4-11 team ?

NorthCoast
01-02-2012, 12:36 PM
This offense is painful. Time for Ben's uncle Bruce to get the hell out of town. Part of the issue is crap formations, crap play design, and part Ben being an idiot. After this season I really have come to the belief that Ben won't ever run a smooth consistent offense like Rodgers, Brees, or Brady because he isn't as smart as they are.

I think you covered all of my complaints MP. Formations that are obvious (cant stand the empty set), two WRs nearly running into each other in their patterns, no RB screens, no continuity in blocking.
To move forward, the Steelers will need to rely on the other team to play even worse than they are. Not a huge positive.
The offense needs a remake during the off-season including finding a couple of decent guards for the OL.

JAR
01-02-2012, 01:07 PM

I was at the game yesterday... horrible conditions with the wind.
Agreed.

Sometimes I can't believe the foolishness on this board. The offense played well under the circumstances. When I heard 40 mph winds Friday, I knew this would be a close game.

I feel opposite than most of the comments in this thread. I am optimistic of our chances for a repeat run to the SB, regarding our O. Ben looked fairly mobile. Wallace will not be primarily running crossing routes when conditions are better. Sanders is getting healthy. Hines getting to 1000 in the last game this season was huge- diminishes discussion of whether he will be back next season to get it. 4 wide set with Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Cotch with a healthy Ben should be lethal. Honestly, the most critical piece may be MeMo being able to play if Mendehall is indeed done for the season.

Steelers fans...the Veruca Salt's of the NFL.. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL3-pb2K7DM

pittpete
01-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Hey, this is a forum board, no one forces you to read it.
Without these topics we would just have links posted with news articles.
The title of the thread is "can this offense take us deep into the playoffs?"
Why is it when people need to relieve themselves of some stress and if they point out some of the teams weaknesses they are called whiners and told to go root for another team?
We cant change anything about the team, but with the time I have invested in this team over the last 25+ years I feel I can criticize what I feel is wrong w/o being told to go somewhere else.
Not taking away from anything, but how many posters here actually watch the games at a loud noisy bar while pounding alcohol?
Then they come here and tell us we are crazy and Wallace is the best reciever in the league while some of us here no that isnt the case the last few weeks.
:2c

sd steel
01-02-2012, 02:20 PM

You didn't answer my question. When has the Steeler offense ever been consistantly dominant? Were we when we won our last 2 Super Bowls? The league isn't set up that way. Any given team can have your number on any given day which leads to the parity that we have in this league. Ben's style in itself leads to our ability to beat any team or to be tremendously inconsistant. Whining about it isn't going to make it better. Bringing in a new OC most likely won't change the way Ben plays. Just saying I am happy that we are in the playoffs because anything can happen. It's great entertainment, and we still have a chance to come home with number 7.

Watch it with speaking the truth. Don't you know only the bad weather applied to the Steelers while going against a bckup QB on a 4-11 team ?

fezziwig
01-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Hey, this is a forum board, no one forces you to read it.
Without these topics we would just have links posted with news articles.
The title of the thread is "can this offense take us deep into the playoffs?"
Why is it when people need to relieve themselves of some stress and if they point out some of the teams weaknesses they are called whiners and told to go root for another team?
We cant change anything about the team, but with the time I have invested in this team over the last 25+ years I feel I can criticize what I feel is wrong w/o being told to go somewhere else.
Not taking away from anything, but how many posters here actually watch the games at a loud noisy bar while pounding alcohol?
Then they come here and tell us we are crazy and Wallace is the best reciever in the league while some of us here no that isnt the case the last few weeks.
:2c

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

That part about watching the game at the bar, I almost fell out of my chair laughing. Good one !
Not a bar stool but my office chair. Really have to be on the defense around here so I thought I would point that out.

Shawn
01-02-2012, 03:12 PM
It depends on which Ben, and which Steeler offense show up. Lets be honest this is a Jeckyll and Hyde offense. When they are clicking, this is a top 3-4 O in the NFL.

My fear is this...Denver's D keeps them in this game, and we give Tebow a chance to win a playoff game at the end...at the Steelers expense.

fezziwig
01-02-2012, 03:21 PM
You got that right about being a two sided coin offense. That's what chaps me so much when, you see our team with all this talent and then they just seem to get into a funk or they seem to play away from their strengths or something.

They can be real good when they're good but when they get ugly, I just shake my head and wonder why.

I still think if there is any game our team ever showed up for it, will be against the ravens.

Shawn
01-02-2012, 03:35 PM
You got that right about being a two sided coin offense. That's what chaps me so much when, you see our team with all this talent and then they just seem to get into a funk or they seem to play away from their strengths or something.

They can be real good when they're good but when they get ugly, I just shake my head and wonder why.

I still think if there is any game our team ever showed up for it, will be against the ravens.

And that is the question. Why do the Steelers struggle with consistency? Is it Arians? Is it Ben? Is it a pourous OL?

I don't know but I can tell you that it isn't from a lack of talent. IMO, this Steeler team has as much talent as the Packers or the Saints have on O. My suspicion is that it's a combo of Arians and the OL.

Steelgal
01-02-2012, 03:49 PM
So far, all the talking heads are saying this will be an easy Steeler win. I hate when that happens. Mike and Mike were surprised the line on the game wasn't double digits. They play better as underdogs and hope they don't start reading all the headlines this week. This would be the biggest upset of the weekend, IMO, if the Broncos win.

fezziwig
01-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Shawn I think you nailed it with Arians and the O-line. I hate to keep bashing Arians but the guy just isn't a good coach. Not every team is going to have an all pro O-line but, the coach or coaches do get around that or can get around that with better play calling.

Listening to the Fan radio station just now with their two annoucers they are pretty much saying the same thing.
Josh Miller just got through saying, " I'm baffled that the Browns have one of the worse run defenses but, Arians has an injured Ben throwing 40 times in the game. "

I'm learning how Arian thinks and his way of thinking is, he's going to be the reason the offense does well. Not that they have talent or these guys lift weights or what ever attributes you can place on the players but, Arians ego or stupidity approaches the games as, this team can't do this so I will fool them by not attacking their weaknesses.

Not that I have figured him but, he has said that stupid stuff before.

Ben, Hines, Wallce, Sanders, Miller, Mendenhall, Redmen, Brown, Cotchry, saunders and this team struggles to put points on the board ?
They looked like heck against the Cheifs, Colts, Browns and any scrub team that they should have throttled.

In Arians defense, he isn't the one turning the ball over either but, that's just one piece of the problem puzzle. If this offense was a 100 piece puzzle, the o-line is five pieces of the puzzle the turnovers are ten pieces of the puzzle, injuries four pieces of the puzzle and the remaining pieces of problems go directly on Arians. Tomlin too because he hasn't stepped on Arians throat yet to tell him to get the job done. I wonder if Tomlin even knows enough about an offense to realize this guy can't shift gears with this racecar offense that we have ?

pittpete
01-02-2012, 04:12 PM
In response to Arians and the O-line some will say its the players not executing.
We all know dam well that when things arent working then you need to change.
Now the question is are you changing because the players just cant execute the plays you have or because opposing defenses are anticipating what you are trying to do?
All I can see when I watch the games is an offense with no continuity.
It feels like Helter Skelter,mayhem and Jojo the idiot circus boy(the movie-TommyBoy)all rolled into one.
We could be running the ball with success and than you say wow,this would be the perfect time to go play action and then Bruce will call a bubble screen with the opposing defense all up on the line and we lose 2 yards.
The only time this offense seems to succeed barring a turnover is when they are running the no huddle.
Also you're going to tell me that those lousy fade routes near from the 10 were the only plays they had up thier sleeve?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-02-2012, 04:13 PM

I think you covered all of my complaints MP. Formations that are obvious (cant stand the empty set), two WRs nearly running into each other in their patterns, no RB screens, no continuity in blocking.
To move forward, the Steelers will need to rely on the other team to play even worse than they are. Not a huge positive.
The offense needs a remake during the off-season including finding a couple of decent guards for the OL.

I just want to clarify when I say he may not be as 'smart' as those top echelon of QB's I strictly mean in a football, pre-snap reading, field general sense. I have no idea how smart Ben is in a non-football environment.

pittpete
01-02-2012, 04:18 PM
I said "what are a moron" when he tried to get them to the line to spike the ball with a timeout left.

fezziwig
01-02-2012, 05:02 PM
pittpete, you are soon becoming my hero. You perfectly described Arians and lack of game play calling, the two steps forward and three steps back offense that he fields each week. Almost each week. He did have two complete games this season that I thought the offense did well.

Some of our fans might not believe this but, other teams have injuries and problems too and they seem to coach around those problems.

DukieBoy
01-02-2012, 05:39 PM

And that is the question. Why do the Steelers struggle with consistency? Is it Arians? Is it Ben? Is it a pourous OL?

I don't know but I can tell you that it isn't from a lack of talent. IMO, this Steeler team has as much talent as the Packers or the Saints have on O. My suspicion is that it's a combo of Arians and the OL.

x2

pittpete
01-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Flynn throws 6 TDs, Packers beat Lions 45-41
McCarthy said it was an "easy call" to rest Rodgers -- although he did keep his quarterback involved in the game by letting him call some plays.

No matter who was calling plays, Flynn was making it work.

Backup QB in a great system....hmmmmmmm :idea:

feltdizz
01-02-2012, 06:39 PM
It always comes down to the same 3 or 4 posters bashing BA for all of our woes. I'm sorry but when you have 400+ yards and 13 points with 2 or 3 TO's it's not the coordinator it's the players.

I'm not surprised that everyone but Ben is being blamed for our woes. The OL has kept Ben pretty clean and on the play he was injured he had 5 to 6 seconds to run, throw it away or dump it off short and he chose none of them.

Last game we had one time out, 15 seconds and Ben is trying to snap the ball. Not smart at all for a vet QB. On the pass to Wallace that could have been intercepted Heath was wide open over the middle. Ben is in love with the deep ball and we keep stalling because he won't take the short stuff.

We don't know how many times Ben is checking out of runs so I can't comment on the run vs pass ratio last game but we were making good gains on the ground but Redman kept putting the ball on the ground.

Not sure how the OL and BA are to blame when we had 6 fumbles and 5 INT's the last 3 or 4 games.

I can't take anyone seriously when they refuse to blame the QB who isn't playing as well as we all know he is capable of playing. I know he is hurt but it wasn't because the OL failed him it was because of his decision making.

Hines, Heath, Moore, Redman all put the ball on the ground and it costs us points... just wanted to add them to the list so people don't think I'm Ben bashing.

It's not the OL or BA... it's the players making mistakes that turn the ball over or kill drives with penalties.

Flynn from Gb had a great game but Detroit DB's aren't the best and te GB players made plays... when the ball wasn't on point their WR's fought for the ball and they push off without hesitation. Besides Brown we have a fast WR who needs the ball to be perfectly thrown and Sanders can't get healthy.

It's hard to blame coaching when your team is doing everything but finishing drives with TDs

Mister Pittsburgh
01-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Arians has pretty much stated we don't attack a teams weakness and we don't adjust our gameplan based on the talents of our own players. Wes Saunders isn't a target?????? All our WR have trouble getting open? Every normal RB screen is sniffed out? I think the gameplans and overall play design is crap.

NorthCoast
01-02-2012, 06:45 PM
So far, all the talking heads are saying this will be an easy Steeler win. I hate when that happens. Mike and Mike were surprised the line on the game wasn't double digits. They play better as underdogs and hope they don't start reading all the headlines this week. This would be the biggest upset of the weekend, IMO, if the Broncos win.

My guess is that a big part of the Vegas line is a 12-4 team going against an 8-8 team. The rest of the betting world doesnt see the gory details of the Steelers offense from week to week.

pittpete
01-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Hey Feltdizz, Ben dropped back 42 times to pass in a brutally windy stadium,continues to call passes when the QB is clearly off and is hobbling around.
The continued 5 wr sets with no chance of Ben scrambling on a hobbled leg is an invitation for a pass rusher to go all out knowing no run is possible.
BA severely handicaps our offense week after week.
How do you defend the fades in the endzone?
Can you, they were disgratz.....
Who called the plays?

On another note, if Ben throws that ball to Heath,the safety kills Heath or picks it off because Ben was pretty much off all day whether it be for the wind or his ankle.

sd steel
01-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Still no one has answered my question. When has the Steeler offense ever been consistantly dominant? Were we when we won our last 2 Super Bowls? The league isn't set up that way. Any given team can have your number on any given day which leads to the parity that we have in this league. Ben's style in itself leads to our ability to beat any team or to be tremendously inconsistant. Whining about it isn't going to make it better. Bringing in a new OC most likely won't change the way Ben plays. I'm just saying I am happy that we are in the playoffs because anything can happen. It's great entertainment, and we still have a chance to come home with number 7.

feltdizz
01-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Hey Feltdizz, Ben dropped back 42 times to pass in a brutally windy stadium,continues to call passes when the QB is clearly off and is hobbling around.
The continued 5 wr sets with no chance of Ben scrambling on a hobbled leg is an invitation for a pass rusher to go all out knowing no run is possible.
Who called the plays?

On another note, if Ben throws that ball to Heath,the safety kills Heath or picks it off because Ben was pretty much off all day whether it be for the wind or his ankle.

There wasn't a safety over the top when Heath was wide open. Ben wasn't under a ton of pressure all day and we don't know how many times Ben checked out of a run. We ran the ball 36 times and Redman fumbled twice.

I could see if Mend wasn't hurt and Moore was available but under the circumstances I can't blame BA for relying on Ben.

The fade routes were horrible. Terrible play calls... I'm not saying BA is perfect or one of the best but I can't blame him for all of our woes on offense.

feltdizz
01-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Still no one has answered my question. When has the Steeler offense ever been consistantly dominant? Were we when we won our last 2 Super Bowls? The league isn't set up that way. Any given team can have your number on any given day which leads to the parity that we have in this league. Ben's style in itself leads to our ability to beat any team or to be tremendously inconsistant. Whining about it isn't going to make it better. Bringing in a new OC most likely won't change the way Ben plays. I'm just saying I am happy that we are in the playoffs because anything can happen. It's great entertainment, and we still have a chance to come home with number 7.

We usually sleep walk on offense for periods of the season and wake up when the playoffs start.

pittpete
01-02-2012, 07:27 PM
No safety over the top but the safety was close enough,rewatch it..

NJ-STEELER
01-02-2012, 07:43 PM

I don't know but I can tell you that it isn't from a lack of talent. IMO, this Steeler team has as much talent as the Packers or the Saints have on O. .

i dont think its even close.

we all see the struggles wallace has on short routes. AB has been amazing but he's a little guy that can get pushed around at the LOS.
their TEs are much more athletic then heath.
our WR corps isnt as rounded out as the others. they have some big tall guys to go along with the fast quick guys that we seem to have an abundance of.
their OL's dont constantly put them in 1st and 20's with dumb penalties or 2and 13's with poor run blocking

that said, brees and rodgers are also playing at a level above ben and just about evey other QB in the league

feltdizz
01-02-2012, 07:44 PM
No safety over the top but the safety was close enough,rewatch it..
If Ben and Heath can't complete that pass they should both be on the bench. Even if the pass isnt completed it's a higher percentage pass then the one to Wallace.

NJ-STEELER
01-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Who called the plays?

There wasn't a safety over the top when Heath was wide open. .

yes there was
clear as day on the replay

now he could have squeezed it in before the safety had gotten there but the safer throw was to the corner where the S had no chance to get there

feltdizz
01-02-2012, 07:49 PM

I don't know but I can tell you that it isn't from a lack of talent. IMO, this Steeler team has as much talent as the Packers or the Saints have on O. .

i dont think its even close.

we all see the struggles wallace has on short routes. AB has been amazing but he's a little guy that can get pushed around at the LOS.
their TEs are much more athletic then heath.
our WR corps isnt as rounded out as the others. they have some big tall guys to go along with the fast quick guys that we seem to have an abundance of.
their OL's dont constantly put them in 1st and 20's with dumb penalties or 2and 13's with poor run blocking

that said, brees and rodgers are also playing at a level above ben and just about evey other QB in the league

Ben hasn't been on all year besides the Pats game and the Titans game. I could see if Ben was playing lights out football and wenwere struggling but he is off this year and we are 12-4.

I would love to have those other teams production but we will see some of these teams lose and it wot matter that they had 60 point games or threw for 6000 yards.

Wilkinsburg
01-02-2012, 11:49 PM
How can we move the ball up and down the field yet not get it in the end zone? But then, how can we turn the ball over 3 times a game and still win 12? Maybe we can play our way out of the funk in Denver and get on a roll. Perhaps having to play in the wild card game was the bet thing to happen.

Sword
01-03-2012, 10:46 AM
If we play to win with good execution on plays we will go far...

We cannot win a Superbowl or big playoff games without, the Defense creating turnovers and our offense scoring touchdowns...

to someone else who posted about something weird with our offense.
I said, the same thing to myself it's like we don't have solid offensive plays
and \ or not executing them very well!!!!!!

In 2005 we played in those games to win.... establishing the pass game to run ..
You heard me establishing the pass game to run......

Sword

williar
01-03-2012, 11:22 AM

In an attempt at answering your question, I agree that the steeler offense hasn't been consistently dominant in the Roethlisberger era. All statistical numbers aside, because statistics can be manipulated to support an opinion either way. Great defenses have been the centerpiece of our success. That has worked successfully for us in the past. But have you noticed what type of teams are dominating today? NO, GB, NE, and I'd bet my money that one of these teams is going to win the SB. What do these teams have in common. Offenses that can put up numerous points on anybody's defense.

I guess the point I am trying to make is, the further we settle in to the Goodell regime, the further we seem to get away dominant defenses succeeding. Our team is going to need to adjust to the trend. Having a great defense and a marginal, inconsistent offense isn't going to win us anymore SB's. Not the way things are trending now in the NFL.....

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-03-2012, 11:42 AM
I don't think the offense is the concern even with Mendy gone. I think it all hinges on the defense. I'm feeling a little better about the run D as long as the age up the middle doesn't show its ugly face. I think the watching of the snap counts with Farrior & Hampton has been noticable down the stretch. I just hope there is enough fuel in the tank for 4 more games. I think the return to the SB lies with how quickly we get Woodley back and how quickly Lewis & Allen return. The relationship between the two will be exploited against the Pats - Packers Or Saints. The path to #7 goes through 2 of those teams. If we can get Lewis and/or Allen back after the Broncos ;) Things will start to look better.

sd steel
01-03-2012, 01:28 PM

In an attempt at answering your question, I agree that the steeler offense hasn't been consistently dominant in the Roethlisberger era. All statistical numbers aside, because statistics can be manipulated to support an opinion either way. Great defenses have been the centerpiece of our success. That has worked successfully for us in the past. But have you noticed what type of teams are dominating today? NO, GB, NE, and I'd bet my money that one of these teams is going to win the SB. What do these teams have in common. Offenses that can put up numerous points on anybody's defense.

I guess the point I am trying to make is, the further we settle in to the Goodell regime, the further we seem to get away dominant defenses succeeding. Our team is going to need to adjust to the trend. Having a great defense and a marginal, inconsistent offense isn't going to win us anymore SB's. Not the way things are trending now in the NFL.....
In reality isn't it the same every year? The GBs, NEs*, NO's are always the pick to win because of the high powered offense, and sometimes they win, and sometimes the team that has the best defense wins.

As long as Ben is the QB and our oline is suspect we will always be inconsistent offensively. We will have big plays and great drives and even great games, but Ben is a wild card, and if he is on and running no huddle we will move the ball with the best of them, or if Arians calls some good plays and the oline blocks we will have success, but if Ben isn't on and the Oline plays subpar your guess is as good as mine as how many points we will score. The consistantency of our defense is why the Steelers compete year in and year out. And that isn't going to change anytime soon.

SteelCrazy
01-03-2012, 01:42 PM
[quote="sd steel":dd3qyfm6]Still no one has answered my question. When has the Steeler offense ever been consistantly dominant? Were we when we won our last 2 Super Bowls? The league isn't set up that way. Any given team can have your number on any given day which leads to the parity that we have in this league. Ben's style in itself leads to our ability to beat any team or to be tremendously inconsistant. Whining about it isn't going to make it better. Bringing in a new OC most likely won't change the way Ben plays. I'm just saying I am happy that we are in the playoffs because anything can happen. It's great entertainment, and we still have a chance to come home with number 7.

In reality isn't it the same every year? The GBs, NEs*, NO's are always the pick to win because of the high powered offense, and sometimes they win, and sometimes the team that has the best defense wins.

As long as Ben is the QB and our oline is suspect we will always be inconsistent offensively. We will have big plays and great drives and even great games, but Ben is a wild card, and if he is on and running no huddle we will move the ball with the best of them, or if Arians calls some good plays and the oline blocks we will have success, but if Ben isn't on and the Oline plays subpar your guess is as good as mine as how many points we will score. The consistantency of our defense is why the Steelers compete year in and year out. And that isn't going to change anytime soon.[/quote:dd3qyfm6]

I probably could have said it more manly, but i agree

Oviedo
01-03-2012, 01:58 PM
I don't think the offense is the concern even with Mendy gone. I think it all hinges on the defense. I'm feeling a little better about the run D as long as the age up the middle doesn't show its ugly face. I think the watching of the snap counts with Farrior & Hampton has been noticable down the stretch. I just hope there is enough fuel in the tank for 4 more games. I think the return to the SB lies with how quickly we get Woodley back and how quickly Lewis & Allen return. The relationship between the two will be exploited against the Pats - Packers Or Saints. The path to #7 goes through 2 of those teams. If we can get Lewis and/or Allen back after the Broncos ;) Things will start to look better.

I think there is a huge concern with the offense with Mendy gone. He was the only legit threat to go long of all our RBs. Redman's style plays right into the Broncos strngth of stopping up the middle runs. They have gotten destroyed by RBs who can take the edge and have speed.

Combine the Mendy loss with the depleted secondary and this game will be much closer than it ever should be.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-03-2012, 02:09 PM

I think there is a huge concern with the offense with Mendy gone. He was the only legit threat to go long of all our RBs. Redman's style plays right into the Broncos strngth of stopping up the middle runs. They have gotten destroyed by RBs who can take the edge and have speed.

Combine the Mendy loss with the depleted secondary and this game will be much closer than it ever should be.

Its nice to think that Mendenhall might break off a 50 yard run to the house. He just never does it. Maybe what, once a season? I'll take the back that gets me 4 or 5 every carry vs. the one that gets 2 or 3 on 95% of his carries.

And realistically, to win the Superbowl, we won't need to be leaning on the running game. We better be ready to put up 30+ which is a major stretch for this Ben/Arianus run passing attack.

williar
01-03-2012, 02:12 PM

I think the game will be close for the same reasons all of our games have been close, even with Mendy. We just don't score enough points... We barely beat KC with Tyler Palko and Cleveland with Colt McCoy / Seneca Wallace. I think the scores were the same in all three games...

I like Mendy and what he brought to the table, but he ain't no Ray Rice or Arian Foster. He may have the skills to take it to the house, but he hasn't done too much of that this season.. Call me whatever, but that touchdown run by John Clay was probably the best run I have seen from one of our RB's. Mendy reminds me too much of Willie Parker. You know he can break one at anytime but he hardly seems to ever do it....

feltdizz
01-03-2012, 02:18 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":24ogcgzx]I don't think the offense is the concern even with Mendy gone. I think it all hinges on the defense. I'm feeling a little better about the run D as long as the age up the middle doesn't show its ugly face. I think the watching of the snap counts with Farrior & Hampton has been noticable down the stretch. I just hope there is enough fuel in the tank for 4 more games. I think the return to the SB lies with how quickly we get Woodley back and how quickly Lewis & Allen return. The relationship between the two will be exploited against the Pats - Packers Or Saints. The path to #7 goes through 2 of those teams. If we can get Lewis and/or Allen back after the Broncos ;) Things will start to look better.

Its nice to think that Mendenhall might break off a 50 yard run to the house. He just never does it. Maybe what, once a season? I'll take the back that gets me 4 or 5 every carry vs. the one that gets 2 or 3 on 95% of his carries.

And realistically, to win the Superbowl, we won't need to be leaning on the running game. We better be ready to put up 30+ which is a major stretch for this Ben/Arianus run passing attack.[/quote:24ogcgzx]

I get tired of hearing about the Mendy "breakaway" threat that we've seen maybe 1 or 2 times and he was walked down on that 50 yarder.

The only concern with Redman is ball protection because of last week... other then that serious issue, and it is a cause for concern, Redman is an upgrade due to his consistency.

I liked Mend but he pizzed me off this year. He ran like a wild animal in the playoffs last year and then hop and skips his way through 2011?

Redman runs like a guy trying to make some money... Mend was running like he is getting 10% returns of sound investments.

williar
01-03-2012, 02:37 PM
I also get tired of, every time we lose a player (in this case Mendenhall) due to injury or whatever the case maybe, we have to feel all of this doom and gloom. Like our team is going to be impacted so much by the loss. Other good teams lose good players all the time due to injury and you hardly ever hear about it and their teams don't miss too many beats. NE has loss a plethora of good players this year. I don't hear no one complaining. They just keep on winning. GB lost their best WR, Greg Jennings, their best O Lineman, Chad Clifton, their best DB Nick Collins, and so on and so forth. You'd never know it! We lose Mendy or Ryan Clark and it's like Mr. Bill revisited.......

pittpete
01-03-2012, 02:41 PM
No doom and gloom here, I think Redman is just what the doctor ordered for us.. :Cheers

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-03-2012, 03:13 PM

Mendy when healthy was never one to break a big one around the corner. The long runs usually were between the tackles. Their best play Counter 34 Pike has accounted for many big plays over the years. The only one really famous for bouncing the corner was Fast Willie in his prime. Mendy is the most athletic of all of them but being being the best athlete doesn't equal best option. Redman, Clay, and Moore are all "one cut-stick your foot in the ground & hit the hole" downhill runners which do very well. It would have been nice having Mendy but the running game can still get going with the guys they have. Lewis & Allen injuries will be more felt if they can't get back quickly.

fezziwig
01-03-2012, 06:04 PM
You do need to or I do kind of smile that, even with all the turnovers we are 12-4. That has to be some kind of stat for doing so well but at the same time, shooting yourself in the foot at the same time.
All this tells me, we are a really good team but, we just aren't clicking with the ball control and redzone positives. I'm sure they go hand in hand.
Someone said it well with saying Brees and Rodgers are playing lights out and while Ben, hasn't hit his stride yet.
If Ben does hit his stride or shake off the funk, we will be a hard team to beat.

pittpete
01-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Redman, Clay, and Moore are all "one cut-stick your foot in the ground & hit the hole" downhill runners which do very well

Honestly I remember Clay doing a little stuttering behind the line against the Browns.
I said "cmon Clay don't be like friggin Mendenhall"