PDA

View Full Version : Troy Polamalu is becoming one of the best ever

SteelCrazy
01-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Can you believe the plays this guy makes. He has to be one of a very few, if any others at all, to get a sack on a designed I-Formation running play. That was unreal. I've never considered any of today's Steelers in the same class of the Steeler's from the 70's, but Troy is definitely one that is just as good as they were.

He is our Defense.

Shawn
01-01-2012, 09:35 PM
While I don't agree that Troy "is our defense", I do believe he is the best SS to ever play the game. I can't think of any SS to ever play at a higher level.

Ozey74
01-01-2012, 09:39 PM
The conversation at the Steeler table I was at today was that Troy might very well be "the most valueable Steeler ever".

hawaiiansteel
01-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Troy gets my game ball for today, that's for sure! :tt2

DukieBoy
01-01-2012, 09:42 PM
We've been blessed with some great players in the secondary through the years, and Troy would be at the top of the lists of many.

Blount, Shell, Woodson, Lake, Wagner, Troy.
What a legacy.
Troy does things none of the others ever did.

My memory goes as far back as Clendon Thomas and Brady Keys, good players back in their day.

SteelCrazy
01-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Obviously, not one player could ever be the Defense, but he is the best on this Defense.

SidSmythe
01-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Funny this post is up tonight...

During the game i told my family, "it's just not going to be the same when Troy isn't playing the game anymore"

Steelers>NFL
01-01-2012, 10:09 PM

During the game i told my family, "it's just not going to be the same when Troy isn't playing the game anymore"
When Troy leaves, LeBeau must leave. Because he can not coach without Troy in this era of football.

Ozey74
01-01-2012, 10:13 PM

When Troy leaves, LeBeau must leave. Because he can not coach without Troy in this era of football.

Great point. Troy may of extended LeBeau's tenure by 5 or 6 years.

flippy
01-01-2012, 10:14 PM
I think we have a handful of best evers on this team right now. Some in their prime, others past their prime, and others to emerge.

Troy
Harrison
Ben
Heath
Ward
Woodley
Ike
The DLine
AB

And TBD
Wallace
Timmons

winwithd
01-01-2012, 10:19 PM
With Troy so good at stopping the run and covering larger receivers like TEs, is there any chance he could move to ILB with this becoming a pass-happy league? He is not much smaller than Farrior is he? Then we could draft a top-notch safety with great speed when Troy loses a step.

Snatch98
01-01-2012, 11:38 PM
With Troy so good at stopping the run and covering larger receivers like TEs, is there any chance he could move to ILB with this becoming a pass-happy league? He is not much smaller than Farrior is he? Then we could draft a top-notch safety with great speed when Troy loses a step.

Troy will retire before that happens. I also don't say that assuming he'd be unwilling but I think once he starts to lose his ability to play SS at the highest possible level he'll hang them up.

Shoe
01-02-2012, 04:15 AM
I don't think he did anything different today, than he's always done. He made a play nobody else makes (the jumping the snap and sacking Wallace). And the pick was typical for him...

So I don't know why today is much different. Yes, he's great.

For him to cement himself even more than he already has... he needs to find a way to make plays against the Tom Brady type, Aaron Rodgers type. The guys with the sick sick accuracy, timing, anticipation. This game was status quo for him as far as I'm concerned.

DukieBoy
01-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Loosely related the the topic, but there are some great-to-read interviews of old Steelers at this site:

http://pittsburghsportsdailybulletin.wo ... 1961-1967/ (http://pittsburghsportsdailybulletin.wordpress.com/2011/11/01/brady-keys-steelers-cornerback-1961-1967/)

I was reading this interview with Brady Keys. Note a couple quotes form the interview below:

What kind of player were you and how did you adjust to the NFL game?

My style of play was suited to cornerback. I was very fast and was an intimidator. I liked to intimidate receivers Ė I did bad things to them sometimes.

I used to love playing the Browns and Jim Brown. He and I had a grudge like you would not believe. Lots of people were scared to tackle him Ė and he hurt me once. But he used to call me the Black Missile. We fought a lot then but became big friends after we were done playing football.

What do you think of the NFL today with itís changes and emphasis on the passing game?

Itís a sissy game now. Defenses canít do anything. We would clothesline guys and hit guys out-of-bounds. Itís a sissy game now. The Steelers are trying to continue the tradition of being tough but itís hard.

What are some of your best memories of your time in Pittsburgh?

I have many, many good memories. Mellon Bank helping my business.

And nothing but good memories of Pittsburgh and the Steelers. The last day I cried was when Mr. Rooney died. I havenít cried since. I would not be who I am without him. The town and country were not ready for me Ė a Black man who wanted to run a business and play football. But he was.

Any last thoughts for readers?

I just want readers to know the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Rooneys - I owe them everything I am today. They gave me $10,000 and never let me pay it back. They gave me one charge Ė to be successful. Itís been on my mind ever since.

eniparadoxgma
01-03-2012, 12:41 PM
He was before my time but that was an awesome interview. Thanks, Dukie. :Beer

RuthlessBurgher
01-03-2012, 02:29 PM
While I don't agree that Troy "is our defense", I do believe he is the best SS to ever play the game. I can't think of any SS to ever play at a higher level.

Ronnie Lott was a beast.

DukieBoy
01-03-2012, 09:04 PM
He was before my time but that was an awesome interview. Thanks, Dukie. :Beer

Thanks, Bud!

Brady Keys was quite a character. As a returner, he used to fair-catch punts and quickly hand the ball off or toss it to a charging defender, who then took off with the ball to the EZ thinking they had a TD but looking like a fool instead. In today's No Fun League, Keys would probably be flagged for 15 yards unsportsmanlike conduct.

There are other Steeler interviews available in the right sidebar of that link posted above, many are good reads, for those interested in such stuff.