PDA

View Full Version : Redman hurt my feelings

feltdizz
01-01-2012, 08:59 PM
I've been a big Redman fan and he blew a great opportunity to get more touches. Doesn't matter how effective you are if you cough the ball up.

I

DukieBoy
01-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Red got blown up big time on his first fumble.

Whose gonna be the 3rd RB ? Essex ???

Oviedo
01-01-2012, 09:13 PM
I've been a big Redman fan and he blew a great opportunity to get more touches. Doesn't matter how effective you are if you cough the ball up.

I

He is a decent #2 getting limited touches but he isn't a #1. Going into the play offs that way doesn't inspire confidence.

SteelBucks
01-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Well NBC just said Mendy is out for the playoffs with a serious knee injury. It's Redman or bust.

Slapstick
01-01-2012, 09:19 PM
It's hard to fault a guy gaining well over 4 yards a pop when he's fighting for extra yards...but, a young player needs to be smarter...

I'm not worried one bit about his confidence...he'll be a #1 RB next week in Denver...

I believe he'll rise to the challenge...

winwithd
01-01-2012, 09:21 PM
I like the way he runs and he will learn from this. I would not cut his carries much, maybe split them with MMoore if he is healthy. Isn't he the best back we have with Mendy down? He does not have Mendy breakaway speed but he is pretty consistent in getting the tough yards. Plus how many fumbles did he have prior to today? I honestly dont remember any.

Steelerphile
01-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Mendy doesn't get credit for the ball security he has. He is often attacked as being fumble prone when in fact his ball security is the best in the league. Right now, it seems that the fans are taking it easy on Redman. If that would have been Mendenhall to fumble twice, he would be getting blasted.

I think Mendenhall's injury is a blow to the Steelers chances, because he seemed to step it up for the playoffs and he is more of a big play threat than Redman. But if Redman doesn't fumble, he can be an effective runner, so not all is lost.

NJ-STEELER
01-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Well NBC just said Mendy is out for the playoffs with a serious knee injury. It's Redman or bust.

i thought they said for next week

certainly possible for the playofs though

BradshawsHairdresser
01-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Ike gots to quit coughing up the ball, or we won't be going anywhere in the playoffs...

pfelix73
01-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Ike will be fine in the playoffs, and I disagree- I think he is more than capable of being a #1 back in this league....

:tt1

flippy
01-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Chad Spann time.

He's about the size of Darren Sproles. Could be interesting to see what the kid could do. I like the little glimpses I've seen from Clay so far and think he might be earning himself a roster spot for next year. Might as well see what Spann can do in the playoffs. Who knows, maybe he's the best RB on the roster?

RBs are a dime a dozen. These guys grow on trees. Like WRs. But the can contribute immediately if they have the talent.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-01-2012, 10:36 PM
hope you are kidding about starting some guy from the practice squad in a playoff game.

he won't know the protections and ultimately could cost us the game if ben gets killed on blitz.

start redman, get clay ready.

flippy
01-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Sure Redman will start. But aren't you a little nervous after seeing him cough it up 2x today?

Tomlin was going with Clay to close the game out after fumbly's day today. And I might feel safer with Clay getting the bulk of the carries. That kid's a load. Not 3 bills like Bettis, but a lot bigger than Mendy and Red.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3rd RB get some carries and Spann's the next man up.

Besides, I'm not as worried about some UDFA picking up the blitz as I am about our starting C no blocking the guy lined up over top of him and giving him a free shot at our QB.

fezziwig
01-01-2012, 10:50 PM
is dwyer on IR

flippy
01-01-2012, 10:55 PM
is dwyer on IR

yep

Snatch98
01-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Everyone on the Mendenhall hate train is about to find out what it's like to have Redman carrying the load. He's a work horse back. He's a ideal complement and he proved that today by pushing for the extra yards and placing the ball in jeopardy. The first hit he got smacked pretty good so I don't necessarily fault him there but we're going to be in for a interesting playoff run without Mendenhall. In other words we're about to find out just how valuable he is to the team. Let's just hope Ben can stay healthy to keep defenses honest. Unless Redman is going to change his style of running and not go for broke on every run.

A. He won't hold up
B. He's gonna cough it up

fezziwig
01-01-2012, 11:07 PM
I like Redman and his work hard attitude but Mendenhall is a better featured back. Not because of Redmans fumbles but Mendenhall is a better back when it comes to hitting high gear and he can push the pile when need be.

Even if you want to argue one is better than the other or they are close to being just as good determined on their style and effort, it's great that we have them both.

I wonder if Willie Parker is waiting near the phone ?

Snatch98
01-01-2012, 11:32 PM
I like Redman and his work hard attitude but Mendenhall is a better featured back. Not because of Redmans fumbles but Mendenhall is a better back when it comes to hitting high gear and he can push the pile when need be.

Even if you want to argue one is better than the other or they are close to being just as good determined on their style and effort, it's great that we have them both.

I totally agree. They are the perfect compliment to one another. One just isn't a feature back as you already mentioned. I also wonder where Parker is physically. If we were going to bring someone in it would have to be Parker, as he already knows the system. You know they can't just roll Redman and Clay, unless someone off the practice squad can be brought up. The Parker scenario isn't all that far fetched as long as he'd come in backing up Redman because Redman has earned the carries. I just worry about the guy carrying the load. However I will say if there is a player on the roster to prove me wrong it's him.

fezziwig
01-01-2012, 11:59 PM

I totally agree. They are the perfect compliment to one another. One just isn't a feature back as you already mentioned. I also wonder where Parker is physically. If we were going to bring someone in it would have to be Parker, as he already knows the system. You know they can't just roll Redman and Clay, unless someone off the practice squad can be brought up. The Parker scenario isn't all that far fetched as long as he'd come in backing up Redman because Redman has earned the carries. I just worry about the guy carrying the load. However I will say if there is a player on the roster to prove me wrong it's him.

Thanks for the response and it wasn't a joke about Parker. I bet you he has remained in shape for just this reason.

PS. my computer is kicking the crap out of me in Chess tonight.

Shoe
01-02-2012, 04:06 AM
Please don't give me the "Everyone's gonna find out about Redman/I told you so" stuff about Ike Redman. Before this game, I don't think I I ever saw him fumble the ball. (In fact, I'm the one to blame. Right before that, I was bragging to him how I liked Red cuz he never fumbled, etc. Blame ME.)

Redman's going to be fine. He's going to pound it in there, and he's going to gain tough yardage against a tough team. He may not be the big threat of Mendenhall, but he'll do fine. I have faith in him.

As long as we keep the ball and don't do stupid stuff (i.e. turnovers), we ALL get at least ONE MORE PLAYOFF WEEK to enjoy Steeler football. LET'S DO THIS!

Chadman
01-02-2012, 05:31 AM
4 little words for you all...

Running...

Back...

By...

Committee...

Redman gets the 'most' touches- say 12 or so, Moore gets up around double digits & Clay gets mop up duty & pounding duty.

Redman can be effective, but Moore is a steady vet that knows how to be effective. Clay looks like, if you keep his playbook limited, he can contribute.

Those 3 will be fine. Besides, the Steelers are a passing team anyway.

:tt2

Snatch98
01-02-2012, 08:14 AM

Running...

Back...

By...

Committee...

Redman gets the 'most' touches- say 12 or so, Moore gets up around double digits & Clay gets mop up duty & pounding duty.

Redman can be effective, but Moore is a steady vet that knows how to be effective. Clay looks like, if you keep his playbook limited, he can contribute.

I would agree if Moore is healthy. The question is, is Moore healthy? I just assumed he won't be good to go Sat/Sunday?

Snatch98
01-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Please don't give me the "Everyone's gonna find out about Redman/I told you so" stuff about Ike Redman. Before this game, I don't think I I ever saw him fumble the ball. (In fact, I'm the one to blame. Right before that, I was bragging to him how I liked Red cuz he never fumbled, etc. Blame ME.)

Redman's going to be fine. He's going to pound it in there, and he's going to gain tough yardage against a tough team. He may not be the big threat of Mendenhall, but he'll do fine. I have faith in him.

As long as we keep the ball and don't do stupid stuff (i.e. turnovers), we ALL get at least ONE MORE PLAYOFF WEEK to enjoy Steeler football. LET'S DO THIS!

I love Redman. I just don't see the guy as a 20 touch per game back. He got smacked on the first fumble and the second was a result of fighting for the extra yards. If he goes down sooner he doesn't fumble the ball in that scenario. As I said in this thread or another Redman has the best chance of anyone at proving me wrong. My argument all along has just been he's not Mendenhall and losing Rashard is gonna hurt. If Moore is healthy tho that's a big boost and that committee will do just fine moving the ball on the ground.

fezziwig
01-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't last nights game the most touches reman had in his NFL career ? Hopefully he can get it together this weekend.

m-wilhelm
01-02-2012, 09:52 AM
I love Redman. I just don't see the guy as a 20 touch per game back. He got smacked on the first fumble and the second was a result of fighting for the extra yards. If he goes down sooner he doesn't fumble the ball in that scenario. As I said in this thread or another Redman has the best chance of anyone at proving me wrong. My argument all along has just been he's not Mendenhall and losing Rashard is gonna hurt. If Moore is healthy tho that's a big boost and that committee will do just fine moving the ball on the ground.

That's why Mendy goes down so easy, so he won't fumble! I hope Redman doesn't fumble anymore I like the way he runs more than the way Mendy runs.

Oviedo
01-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Mendy doesn't get credit for the ball security he has. He is often attacked as being fumble prone when in fact his ball security is the best in the league. Right now, it seems that the fans are taking it easy on Redman. If that would have been Mendenhall to fumble twice, he would be getting blasted.

I think Mendenhall's injury is a blow to the Steelers chances, because he seemed to step it up for the playoffs and he is more of a big play threat than Redman. But if Redman doesn't fumble, he can be an effective runner, so not all is lost.

Very much an on the spot assessment. Mendy would be getting destroyed here if he fumbled twice in a game but Redman is getting a pass and actually being giving credit because he is fighting so hard.

Mendenhall's injury will force us to pass even more which puts Ben, who is really the key, at even more risk.

Oviedo
01-02-2012, 10:41 AM

Running...

Back...

By...

Committee...

Clay looks a little "pudgy" but I intrigued what an off season workout program could do for him. He appears to be a solid back. With Batch coming back too at the RB position Dwyer has a lot to worry about.

anger 82&95
01-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Per ESPN:
CLEVELAND -- The Pittsburgh Steelers fear starting running back Rashard Mendenhall tore the ACL in his right knee during Sunday's 13-9 win over the Cleveland Browns, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
Mendenhall was scheduled to undergo an MRI later Sunday to confirm the diagnosis.
It's not good, of course, when a guy goes down in open grass and is not touched by anyone," coach Mike Tomlin said. "Experience tells me that, in general, that's not good."
After the game, Mendenhall left the stadium on crutches, his head hanging in disappointment. Tomlin said Mendenhall would be examined when the team gets home.
"You should anticipate that he won't be participating next week," Tomlin said, referring next Sunday's wild-card matchup in Denver.
Mendenhall got hurt on a 5-yard carry on the final play of the first quarter against Cleveland. Mendenhall walked slowly to the sideline, where he was checked by Pittsburgh's training staff before heading to the locker room for further tests.
Mendenhall rushed for 38 yards on eight carries before getting hurt, giving him 928 yards this season. He has run for more than 1,000 yards in each of the past two seasons. He also passed Walter Abercrombie for ninth place on the team's career list.
Mendenhall was replaced by Isaac Redman.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/74112 ... -right-acl (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7411245/source-pittsburgh-steelers-fear-rashard-mendenhall-tore-right-acl)

feltdizz
01-02-2012, 11:21 AM
If we lost the game due to Redman's fumbles he would be ripped a new one. I hope Redman gets it together because this is his chance to show us if he is an everydown back.

I usually don't have a problem with a guy coughing it up when he is fighting for yards but not when your last touch was a fumble.

fezziwig
01-02-2012, 11:54 AM

That's why Mendy goes down so easy, so he won't fumble! I hope Redman doesn't fumble anymore I like the way he runs more than the way Mendy runs.

People used to knock Franco Harris for avoiding contact by running out of bounds instead of putting his head down for an extra yard. Francos kind of thinking/playing allowed him to participate in many games when we counted on him. I bet you Franco is in better health than most of those bruising backs and I doubt he has any head injuries that are haunting him.

pittpete
01-02-2012, 03:54 PM
I say we can go with Redman and Clay.
If Moores not a 100% who needs him?
With all the 3 and outs the Steelers defense will be getting, we will hammer the Denver defense into the ground.
Run,run,run,run,run the dam ball.
Spread them out with 3 wides, Heath and run all day alternating series.
Denvers def. will be exhausted.
I definitely dont want to see D.Johnson,Saunders & Heath in all game.
Denvers allows 126.3 rushing yds. per game

fezziwig
01-02-2012, 03:56 PM
I think Denver is ranked 20th in defense and with our talented bunch, you would think we could beat them.

pittpete, I like your game plan.

Oviedo
01-02-2012, 04:07 PM
With all the 3 and outs the Steelers defense will be getting, we will hammer the Denver defense into the ground.

Target Heath and Saunders all day long!!!!! Keep the defense chasing TEs and wear them down.

DukieBoy
01-02-2012, 05:56 PM

Target Heath and Saunders all day long!!!!! Keep the defense chasing TEs and wear them down.

Is Saunders still on the team? If he is, somebody best tell Arians. And remind him when we are in the RZ that there is a tall strong receiver with vicegrip hands as an alternative to floating predicatable and ineffective fade routes.

pittpete
01-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Is Saunders still on the team?
Yes he seems to come in to runblock or runhold.
BA thinks D.Johnson is more of a threat because of his probability of making the 2 yard catch and run. Other defenses focus their attention on Johnson and often double and triple team him.This is where BA's deception really works because they know he wont throw to a 6-5 reciever..
Crazy right?

BDESteel
01-02-2012, 06:49 PM

I
don't worry Felt, I'm down with Red too. He will be talked about positively after he helps whoop Denver's Azz!

I'm worried about backups. Clay looked real slow out there and how healthy will MeMo be? Is he even playing Sunday?

feltdizz
01-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Is Saunders still on the team?
Yes he seems to come in to runblock or runhold.
BA thinks D.Johnson is more of a threat because of his probability of making the 2 yard catch and run. Other defenses focus their attention on Johnson and often double and triple team him.This is where BA's deception really works because they know he wont throw to a 6-5 reciever..
Crazy right?
Dude... we get it. You hate BA. Now that we have that established can we talk about how Redman will perform moving forward?

pittpete
01-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Fair enough
I think Redman will come out and along with Clay,destroy Denvers defense.

feltdizz
01-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Fair enough
I think Redman will come out and along with Clay,destroy Denvers defense.
:Agree

I wasn't trying to be a hard azz but you have good info and sometimes it gets clouded in the BA bashing.

I think Redman will show us that he can carry the load. The Broncos will be trying to strip him so he will get some big runs but he needs to put ball protection first and go down when the ball is grabbed.

aggiebones
01-03-2012, 05:20 PM
As the past posts gave indicated, I always liked Ike. He can handle 20 carries no problem. But he reminds me a lot of marion barber. He's Better as a compliment back. He will be fine though 4 games. He will get something every carry and make it easier on everyone else. Just can't bust it like mendy

ikestops85
01-03-2012, 05:39 PM
As the past posts gave indicated, I always liked Ike. He can handle 20 carries no problem. But he reminds me a lot of marion barber. He's Better as a compliment back. He will be fine though 4 games. He will get something every carry and make it easier on everyone else. Just can't bust it like mendy

Mendy gets stoned at the LOS too many times. I don't blame him for that. The offensive line just isn't good enough to consistently open up running lanes. I actually think our running game would be better with Redman as the feature back and Mendy as the compliment. Use Redman to pound the defense and then bring in Mendy to slip through the cracks. This would allow Mendy to break off more of those big runs.

fezziwig
01-03-2012, 05:57 PM
I think Redman has something to prove this weekend. Nothing ticks off a proffessional more than not having a previous good week. That isn't even fair to say because Redman was running really well and I hope the two fumbles doesn't add too much self pressure for Redman or the fans and media getting all over him.

RuthlessBurgher
01-03-2012, 09:54 PM
The last time we put Mendenhall on I.R.? The last time we won the Super Bowl.

The last two times we put Sepulveda on I.R.? The last two times we made it to the Super Bowl.

Now both of those guys are on I.R. this year. Bodes well for our Super Bowl aspirations, no?

hawaiiansteel
01-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Steelers' Redman is ready for the spotlight

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, January 5, 2012

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2012-01-04/0105RedmanInsideCAP-a.jpg

The ball will be in Isaac Redman's hands plenty during the playoffs, when the Steelers visit Denver for an AFC wild-card game.

One of the more compelling success stories in a locker room filled with them once spent an entire day carrying around a football. It was atonement for fumbling in a game.

It didn't happen this week at the Steelers' practice facility, but years ago in Paulsboro, N.J., a Philadelphia suburb where Isaac Redman excelled in football and wrestling at a school that excels in both sports.

"My coach made me do that," Redman said of legendary Paulsboro High coach Glenn Howard. "I don't know what it was supposed to do. It was sitting on my desk in class. It was barely in my hands."

The ball will be in Redman's hands plenty during the playoffs, starting Sunday when the Steelers visit Denver for an AFC wild-card game.

Rashard Mendenhall's season-ending knee injury has thrust Redman into the starting lineup, and the former undrafted free agent is the only healthy running back with significant NFL experience on the roster.

The bruising Redman averaged 4.4 yards per carry this season and converted nine of the 11 times he got the ball on third-and-2 or less. The 6-foot, 230-pounder is adept enough at picking up blitzing linebackers that he will serve as the Steelers' third-down back, as well as their featured runner.

"I'd be lying if I say I'm fine being a backup my whole career," said Redman, who rushed for 479 yards and three touchdowns this season. "Any chance I get I want to showcase my talent, and hopefully somebody here or wherever looks at me and says, 'Man, that guy is capable of being a No. 1 back in this league.' "

That self-assuredness is one reason why no one in the Steelers' locker room is worried that Redman lost two fumbles last Sunday in Cleveland. Coach Mike Tomlin apparently hasn't lost any sleep over the turnovers, either �" or what they may portend.

"Actually, Coach Tomlin hasn't said anything to me about it," Redman said. "They understand that it's not like it's been an ongoing problem."

There was a time when Tomlin said little to Redman, and it came during his first training camp in 2009.

Redman signed with the Steelers out of Bowie State, a Division II school in Maryland. Tomlin called him "Barlow" in a nod to Kevan Barlow, who had worn No. 33 during a short stint with the Steelers prior to Redman's arrival. He also jabbed at Redman for showing up at camp out of shape.

Redman staged a coming-out party during the goal-line drill, scoring three times from the 1-yard line against the first-team defense. He carried four more times, per orders from Tomlin.

Redman received seven of the eight carries during the only camp drill that features live hitting, and he scored five times.

"He didn't call me by my name one time through whole camp," Redman said of Tomlin. "I was like, 'Man, maybe Coach Tomlin will call me Redman after this.' "

He didn't, but other Steelers took notice of Redman.

That included Casey Hampton, who admittedly knew almost nothing about Redman before the goal-line drill.

"He was a beast," Hampton said. "I don't expect nothing but greatness from him from these next few games we've got. I'm not worried about him at all. One guy ain't going to bring him down. That's the kind of back you want fighting for you all of the time."

Wide receiver Mike Wallace agreed.

"I can't even tell you the things guys are saying out there on the field," Wallace said. "They get pretty mad when he runs over all these people. They be cursing all the time."

Such salty language is one measure of how far Redman has risen since joining the Steelers as an unheralded rookie and spending most of 2009 on their practice squad.

Now that he has become a starter, Redman has dual pursuits.

"Hopefully you'll see a running back that's capable of being a No. 1 running back in this league," he said, "and capable of helping a team go to the Super Bowl."

Steelers' Redman is ready for the spotlight - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1ibeZ1UKa (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_775091.html#ixzz1ibeZ1UKa)

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
01-05-2012, 04:43 PM

His fumble in the Super Bowl at the most crucial time in the game did not help his cause.

Shoe
01-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Redman has the platform right now, to become a Steeler legend. He has the task in front of him: Play like we all know he can... the guy can make himself MILLIONS this next month!

I'm looking for a Merril Hoge-like performance, back in the 1989 playoff run!