PDA

View Full Version : weather on sunday

winwithd
12-30-2011, 11:01 AM
The forecast for Cleveland is for VERY windy (with a little snow in the air), winds 30 mph gusting to 50. For Cinncinati its winds 25-35 mph. I would have said fairly confidently that Cincinnati and us were going to win on Sunday, now I am not so sure.

I remember the last time we played up there in windy conditions, 13-6, but I think our OL and secondary are playing better than then. Still it takes away the deep passing game. Ours is good and they dont have one. Likewise in Cincinnati, Flaccid is so erratic that I dont think it will affect the Crows too much, but it might take AJ Green out of the equation and that might be the Bungals biggest advantage.

Thoughts?

flippy
12-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Ben's arm is so strong, wind doesn't effect his passes like it does most QBs. Advantage us.

I see Cincy as overmatched, so anything with weather could be what helps them even the playing field. Weather could lead to mistakes which is what Cincy might need.

Slapstick
12-30-2011, 11:26 AM
If the Steelers run the ball more than they did in 2009, they should win...

In the first game this year, Rashard only ran the ball 18 times, but with a decent 4.2 YpC...

Redman only ran the ball 6 times (5.8 YpC)...

Just run, Brucie!!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-30-2011, 11:29 AM
The wind may limit the effectiveness of Green, but it also helps remove the threat of Torrey Smith, who has put up some big plays for the Ravens.

I like the Bengals short passing game with Gresham and that little guy Hawkins who had a couple of nice catches against us.

I'm not as sure about the Ravens short passing game without Boldin. They've got their TE Dickson and the RBs but that's about it.

As far as running game goes, Rice has it huge over Benson. The Cincy D is going to have to come up big against the run and force Flacco to pass into the wind without his best WR.

Tough game for a one week Bengals fan but they have much more on the line in this game than we do so at least we know that we'll get an honest effort.

SteelCrazy
12-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Ben's arm is so strong, wind doesn't effect his passes like it does most QBs. Advantage us.

Did you take a Bruce Arian's Offensive Coordinator 101 class?

pittpete
12-30-2011, 02:51 PM

Cmon, you really believe that?
I seem to remember that windy night at Cleveland Dec. 10th 2009.
The night the "GeniusBA" was going to fool the Cleveland defense by passing all night on the strength of Ben's arm :roll:
18-32 for 201 yds and getting sacked 8x was some gameplan.
Arggggh, reminds me of how bad the "GeniusBA" is

bobby jr
12-30-2011, 03:37 PM
If the playing conditions are that bad it should be a low scoring game which could go either way. The Steelers would be better off if they had a more effective running game for conditions like this, and the playoffs will likely have some poor weather games too

AkronSteel
12-30-2011, 06:42 PM
This may actually help the Steelers as we go forward. They need to establish a more consistent running game for the playoffs and playing in those conditions could force their hand. I'm looking at it as a positive to be honest. I would like to see Mendy with 25 carries and Redman with about 10. Let's get that running game going for January and February!!!

:tt1

kindlecatsb'ng
12-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Ben said (per 93.7 The Fan) that they are considering the Browns game as the 1st playoff game.

Hope BA takes the wind into consideration. It is wicked downtown CLE on windy days.

GO STEELERS! :tt1

Kindle

bobby jr
12-30-2011, 07:03 PM
It is true that a strong armed QB like Ben can have more success throwing in windy conditions. However the game in Cincy will have similar windy conditions and Flacco has a very strong arm too.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Windy and cold? Count on BA to call about 80 pass plays, with about half of them being very deep throws... :?

pfelix73
12-30-2011, 08:49 PM
:lol: I was thinking the same when I saw this thread. Remember the Jets game a few years ago?

AkronSteel
12-30-2011, 10:09 PM
:lol: I was thinking the same when I saw this thread. Remember the Jets game a few years ago?

Are you talking about the Jets game in '03 with the blizzard? The game where we throw like 40 times in the worst snow storm in NYC in years??? I don't think that was BA....I believe that was Mularkey but I could be mistaken!!! I just hope BA has a different game plan from the one we displayed in '09. We need a win this week damnit!!!

fordfixer
12-31-2011, 03:22 AM
If the playing conditions are that bad it should be a low scoring game which could go either way. The Steelers would be better off if they had a more effective running game for conditions like this, and the playoffs will likely have some poor weather games too
Welcome to the Planet :tt1

DkBlue
12-31-2011, 09:49 AM
I hope it desn't come down to Hillis versus Mendenhall as they can grin it out and keep Ben off the field.

I do think the Bengals will win and it would be a crime to lose to the Browns.

Chavezz
12-31-2011, 11:44 AM

Uhh. That game was a disaster. And as I recall, we still had a chance to win it at the end.

RuthlessBurgher
12-31-2011, 01:46 PM
It is true that a strong armed QB like Ben can have more success throwing in windy conditions. However the game in Cincy will have similar windy conditions and Flacco has a very strong arm too.

Flacco's strong arm helped a ton when he visited Tennessee, Jacksonville, Seattle, and San Diego. All of those teams will be sitting on their couches watching the playoffs. Meanwhile, Cincy has a lot to play for this weekend (win and they're in), and Baltimore sucks on the road whether it is windy or not.