PDA

View Full Version : Can Batch be our Jeff Hostetler??

rpmpit
12-28-2011, 01:25 PM
I have a hard time believing Ben will be well enough to be effective for the rest of the season. Can a high ankle sprain really heal that fast?

So can Charlie do it?? It would make a hell of a story.

NW Steeler
12-28-2011, 02:00 PM
No.

rpmpit
12-28-2011, 02:21 PM
No.

Figured this would be most people's response.

I bet most Giants fans felt the same way about Hostetler when Simms went down.

MeetJoeGreene
12-28-2011, 04:15 PM
No.

If the rest of our team - defense getting turnovers/special teams gettting big returns and not missing FGs/o-line/running game steps up -- then yes.

Shoe
12-28-2011, 04:23 PM
You've gotta be an unabashed optimist to think that Batch can be like Hoss (in '90). There are so many ways that this situations don't apply. I think the biggest ones is that we don't have the infrastructure to have a chance at that (dominant defense, and strong o-line). And... Batch is simply not that good anymore. We are a stiff wind from being down to Dennis Dixon.

ramblinjim
12-28-2011, 04:42 PM
I hate to agree but Hostetler was younger, had a big arm and was surrounded by an absolutely fantastic team. We just don't seem to have that this year.

ramblinjim
12-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Here's the thing though:

All the big boys in the league this year are flawed:

If a team gets their act together, gets a little hot and puts a couple of good games together that could be all it takes.

Batch dinks and dunks, line blocks well for Mendy, defense gets the big plays they haven't been getting, Sushi makes a couple of kicks and the next thing you know the 2011 Pittsburgh Steelers look pretty darn good.

papillon
12-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Not to mention that Phil Simms didn't do for that offense the things that Ben does for the Steeler offense, the Giants probably didn't have to pare down the offense at all for Hostetler. On the other hand, the offense has to be pared down a lot for Charlie at this point in his career; he simply doesn't have the arm or scrambling ability to do the things that Ben does week in and week out.

Pappy

feltdizz
12-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Not to mention that Phil Simms didn't do for that offense the things that Ben does for the Steeler offense, the Giants probably didn't have to pare down the offense at all for Hostetler. On the other hand, the offense has to be pared down a lot for Charlie at this point in his career; he simply doesn't have the arm or scrambling ability to do the things that Ben does week in and week out.

Pappy

The offense isn't paired down that much and it's not like scrambling is part of the offensive game plan. Unfortunately our gameplan this year has been a ton of yards between the 20 and turnovers in the RZ.

rpmpit
12-28-2011, 08:26 PM
No.

If the rest of our team - defense getting turnovers/special teams gettting big returns and not missing FGs/o-line/running game steps up -- then yes.

This!! The team seems to rally around Charlie. Seems like everyone steps their games up a notch. We saw it last year during Ben's suspension. And we saw it last week.

And I wasn't comparing Batch to Hostetler or us to the Giants. Was just posing the question if Batch as a back-up could lead us to a championship - as it had been done before by Hostetler.

papillon
12-28-2011, 09:55 PM

Pappy

The offense isn't paired down that much and it's not like scrambling is part of the offensive game plan. Unfortunately our gameplan this year has been a ton of yards between the 20 and turnovers in the RZ.

I disagree the offense didn't look anything like the one Ben runs. There were very few routes run in the 15-17 yard range and not many verticals either. Charlie Batch is limited as a quarterback compared to Ben. He understands the game well enough, but he's unable to execute in the same way that Ben is able to do.

I also realize that scrambles aren't part of the offense for the most part, but if you're going to run a lot slow developing routes as a quarterback you may have to be able to elude the rush from time to time and the defense for the most part knows exactly where to find Charlie.

The game plan and the offense were different for Charlie than it was for Ben.

Pappy

fezziwig
12-29-2011, 12:54 AM
If I learned anything from watching the NFL it is, anything is possible.

NJ-STEELER
12-29-2011, 01:33 AM
didnt simms go down near the middle of the year?

rpmpit
12-29-2011, 07:47 AM
didnt simms go down near the middle of the year?

According to wikipedia, Simms broke his foot against the Bills (interesting) on December 15, 1990.

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2011, 01:43 PM
I think Ben will be back, but hypothetically, I wouldn't be shocked if Batch led us to playoff wins over the likes of the Bengals/Jets/Titans, Broncos/Raiders, Texans, or even the Ravens. However, I ultimately don't see him outdueling teams led by the likes of Brady, Rodgers, or Brees.

flippy
12-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Next man up. We can win the SuperBowl with Batch or Dixon. You guys just gotta believe.

fordfixer
12-29-2011, 09:21 PM
No.

Might as well forget about it then if your going to put that condition on it :lol: :lol:

BradshawsHairdresser
12-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Next man up. We can win the SuperBowl with Batch or Dixon. You guys just gotta believe.

Forget Batch and Dixon. We're going to win it with Hines under center. His performance at QB will net him a Super Bowl MVP honor, which he will share with James Harrison. Then, during the award ceremony, Ward and Deebo will be standing on either side of Goodell. At the precise same moment, they will hit the Fuhrer from either side, knocking his wig off his ugly head and rendering him speechless for about 15 minutes. When Goodell finally gets his voice back, he will (of course) announce that he's kicking them out of the league, but both of them will say, in unison, "You can't expel us, we QUIT!" They will then ride off into the sunset of retirement, while Steelers fans enjoy title #7.