PDA

View Full Version : Pro Bowl AFC

SteelCrazy
12-27-2011, 09:04 PM
The NFL announced its Pro Bowl rosters Tuesday night. Below, I share my thoughts on the players who made it and in a few instances some players who should be heading to Hawaii instead.

QUARTERBACK
*Tom Brady, Patriots; Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers; Philip Rivers, Chargers

The first two are easy, with Brady and Roethlisberger both continuing to add to their future Hall of Fame careers. Rivers is another story, as his interception-filled first half of the season was a cause for concern. But with only two picks over his final five games, the Chargers QB earned the spot.

RUNNING BACK
*Ray Rice, Ravens; Maurice Jones-Drew, Jaguars; Arian Foster, Texans

It's no coincidence that all three of these guys are the top three rushers in the AFC. And it should be noted that all three players are also factors in their teams' passing games as well.

FULLBACK
*Vonta Leach, Ravens

I'm not sure a fullback is still a full-time position worthy of a Pro Bowl slot. I would rather have the H-back here and would give it to Aaron Hernandez of the Pats.

WIDE RECEIVER
*Wes Welker, Patriots; *Mike Wallace, Steelers; A.J. Green, Bengals; Brandon Marshall, Dolphins

All the best receivers in the AFC are on the list. I like that this group has a great combination of speed and quickness. Everyone in this group is a play-maker who can score touchdowns from anywhere on the field.

TIGHT END
*Rob Gronkowski, Patriots; Antonio Gates, Chargers

Gronkowski is an amazing talent and a game-changer for New England. When healthy, Gates can still make plays, but he is on the decline. Next year, Jared Cook of the Titans and Jermaine Gresham of the Bengals need to be on this list.

TACKLE
*Joe Thomas, Browns; *Jake Long, Dolphins; D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Jets

Andrew Whitworth of the Bengals should be on the list. He has played well all season. To put him on, I'd take off Ferguson, who has struggled against the best rushers he faced -- the Pats' Andre Carter and the Giants' Jason Pierre-Paul.

GUARD
*Logan Mankins, Patriots; *Brian Waters, Patriots; Marshall Yanda, Ravens

No omissions here. Waters looks like he has not missed a beat and is still a solid player. Both Mankins and Yanda are worthy of the list, too.

CENTER
*Maurkice Pouncey, Steelers; Nick Mangold, Jets

Both of these players are the best at their positions and vital to their teams' success. That was evident when both missed time due to injury.

DEFENSIVE END
*Dwight Freeney, Colts; *Andre Carter, Patriots; Elvis Dumervil, Broncos

Tough year for Freeney, but he is still disruptive. His teammate Robert Mathis is as well and had the Colts had a better season, he'd be here. Carter was a huge factor in the Pats' success and is well deserving, as is Dumervil.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE
*Haloti Ngata, Ravens; *Vince Wilfork, Patriots; Richard Seymour, Raiders

All three had great years and all three require constant double teams, which should be a prerequisite for Pro Bowlers.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER
*Terrell Suggs, Ravens; *Von Miller, Broncos; Tamba Hali, Chiefs

Suggs, Miller and Hali all impact the game on passing downs. It's hard to leave off LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison, but both have been injured and missed games.

INSIDE LINEBACKER
*Ray Lewis, Ravens; Derrick Johnson, Chiefs

Lewis makes the list on rep. His overall season was not as good as Brian Cushing's. Johnson is a top player and impacts the game on all three downs. Another tough omission was the Browns' D'Qwell Jackson, who is a tackling machine.

CORNERBACK
*Darrelle Revis, Jets; *Champ Bailey, Broncos; Johnathan Joseph, Texans

Three really good players, though I feel that the Browns' Joe Haden and the Chiefs' Brandon Flowers had better years than Bailey.

FREE SAFETY
*Ed Reed, Ravens; Eric Weddle, Chargers

Reed is still a dominating playmaker and Weddle was one of the few bright spots on the Chargers defense.

STRONG SAFETY
*Troy Polamalu, Steelers

He still makes an impact, even though he does not have an interception this season

Special teams
Position Player(s)
Punter Shane Lechler, Oakland
Placekicker Sebastian Janikowski, Oakland
Kick returner Antonio Brown, Pittsburgh
Special teamer Matthew Slater, New England

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story/09000d ... le=HP11_cp (http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story/09000d5d825772f0/article/pro-bowl-analysis-afc-roster-full-of-good-calls-omissions?module=HP11_cp)

James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley and Ryan Clark are alternates to the Pro Bowl.

JTP53609
12-27-2011, 10:04 PM
polamalu had an interception this year against the browns

fezziwig
12-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks for posting the info steelcrazy.

The list would have been better with Kiesel included

Discipline of Steel
12-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Congrats to AB, hes had a helluva year. Also, Planet Steelers whipping boy, Ryan Clark gets a nod so good for him.

Again, i say im jealous of the Ravens having a real FB in Vonta Leach.

Biggest joke is philip rivers, but then again, ive never liked that dude. The Chargers dropped Drew Brees for him??? :shock:

Does Pouncey really deserve to start over Mangold? Maybe he does, since our OL has been better than expected and the Jets have not exactly been a running powerhouse.

Ray Lewis is a travesty....

...and where is Ike Taylor? Screw Chump Bailey

Thats my :2c

Steel Life
12-27-2011, 11:11 PM
I know I'm being a homer but does anybody else feel as though Antonio Brown outplayed Brandon Marshall? Being in South FL, Marshall is a distraction & doesn't give full effort, whereas Brown has been dynamic & is now a real threat.

Also, what happened to Ike? Wasn't this guy great in his responsiblity for locking down the oppostion's best WR every game this season?

Lastly...Woodley & Harrison don't make it becasue they missed games this season - but Ray-Ray makes it?!?!??

fezziwig
12-27-2011, 11:22 PM
It is a shame that Ike didn't make it and he is having just as good as year if not better than the other corners.

For some reason the NFL has been pushing Ray Lewis down everyones throats for years. Goodell wants all good guy image from the NFL but, he overlooks Ray the thug and a guy the mugs for the camera and takes all the credit when they win but, runs away from the cameras like a school girl with bad acne when they lose.

Iron Shiek
12-27-2011, 11:54 PM
You guys hit all my thoughts. Keisel is underrated just like Aaron Smith was. Maybe the line on our team is just overshadowed by the LBs and Troy to get any love.

Ike not being on the team is a pretty big oversight. I know everyone can't go and the players that made it are good, but nobody was scoring on Ike this year in the grand scheme of things.

Ray Lewis...ugh...I typically don't watch the pro bowl, but if he plays, I'll make it a point to miss the game...

tiproast
12-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Mankins was a reputation pick this year. He's been solid, but not up the standard he's played at in previous years.

flippy
12-28-2011, 05:45 AM
Steelers won't be eligible to participate in the Pro Bowl, so who cares? We've got more important matters to be thinking about ;)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-28-2011, 11:06 AM
On the Steelers I'd say......

Pouncey has not played well enough to make the PB

Both Harrison and Woodley are legitimate ommissions. They have both played well, but they have also both missed games and had their share of off games. Both started off very slow.

Taylor absolutely deserves to be there. He has been outstanding this year but doesn't put up the one stat that everyone looks at. He has been maybe the best Steelers defender all year - yes, consistently better than Troy, JH, Wood, Keisel etc. He has done everything asked of him.

Keisel is continually under appreciated. Unfortunately the 3-4 DE position is not one that really brings the flash.

fezziwig
12-28-2011, 12:03 PM
good post steeler -fan.

I agree, Pouncey hasn't been at pro bowl caliber but, neither is Ray Lewis.

Had Ray Lewis missed as much games as Harrison or Woodley or missed even more games he, would still be elected.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-28-2011, 12:42 PM
good post steeler -fan.

Had Ray Lewis missed as much games as Harrison or Woodley or missed even more games he, would still be elected.

Cetain PB spots are filled in it seems prior to voting even taking place.

QB - Brady, Rivers

OT - Mankins

DT - Wilfork

OLB - Suggs

MLB - Lewis

SS - Troy

FS - Reed

CB - Revis, Bailey

Some make the team legitimately - Brady, Suggs, Revis

Some deserve to make it but their play has not been as strong as in previous years - Reed, Troy

And some should be eliminated immediately - Rivers, Lewis

Shoe
12-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Poor Ike.

Ike was actually getting a good push from the media types about making the Pro Bowl this year, but truthfully--he didn't seem to capitalize on that momentum as the season went on. He got sort of exploited by Andre Johnson or Fitz (can't remember which), when he got flagged more than once for PI...

I'm not saying he's undeserving, because I still feel he's worthy... and I thought his career (playing well, but not having any Pro Bowls) would've nudged him in this year. I guess Ike's gonna be one of those guys who'll have to hang their hat on team accomplishments (i.e. Super Bowls), and the fact that his team respects him (enough to pay him commensurate with some of the best at his position) and his team's fans.

Steelers>NFL
12-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Pro-Bowl is a JOKE! Nothing but a popularity contest.
No being ALL-PRO means everything.

hawaiiansteel
12-31-2011, 01:31 AM
Ed: Lack of Big Plays Kept Steelers out of Pro Bowl

WEDNESDAY, 28 DECEMBER 2011
By Ed Bouchette
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Putting five players in the Pro Bowl isn't bad but having just one represent from the No. 1 defense in the NFL is a slight. Troy Polamalu is the only player from the Steelers defense on the Pro Bowl team, although three are alternates and could ultimately make it -- James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley and Ryan Clark.

I thought Brett Keisel and maybe Ike Taylor deserved it.

Blame it on the lack of big plays. The Steelers have only 14 turnovers compared to 35 and their sacks are way down as well, they have only 33 entering their final game. They had 48 last season, 47 in 2009, 51 in 2008. Unless they pick up a few more sacks on Sunday, they're going to have one of the lowest totals in the past 20 years. They had only 36 in 2007 and 39 in 2006., 35 in 2003, 39 in 2000.

So they've been here before, but those were not exactly robust seasons for the Steelers. The only playoff season of the bunch was 2007, when they lost their first playoff game.

The worst pass-rushing teams of the past 25 years came in 1987 through 1990. In the 15-game strike season of 1987, they had 26. They followed with a pitiful 19 in 1988 and 31 in 1989. If the Steelers come up empty Sunday, they will have the fewest sacks since 1990, when they managed 34.

I have little doubt they'd have more if both Harrison and Woodley had played an entire season. Woodley had nine at the midway point of the season, on pace to set a Steelers record. His second half has been a wasteland and he still has nine sacks. He'd be in the teens now if he were healthy. Harrison missed five games, so at nine sacks in 10 games, he'd have four or five more had he played a full season.

But other than individual honors such as a Pro Bowl berth, what do sacks and turnovers really mean? The Steelers not only have the top defense in the NFL in yards allowed, they are No. 2 in points allowed. Points count -- not yards, not sacks, not turnovers -- in the ultimate winning and losing.

Maybe D!ck LeBeau, author of the zone blitz defense, has found yet another way to stop offenses. Forget the big play, hold them to short yardage gains and out of the end zone.

It's been a wonderful season again for the Steelers defense, especially when you add up all of their injuries -- Harrison, Woodley, Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke. Keisel missed two games. Casey Hampton missed three games. Farrior missed two and has virtually shared his position with Larry Foote.

It's not dominant against the run as it was just last season, as I point out in my story today in the PG. But it's gotten the job done better than almost any defense in the league. Yet only one of them was voted into the Pro Bowl.

Onto some stuff:

-- The Steelers will announce several awards this week, including two the writers select, Rookie of the Year, and The Chief. The rookie is a no-brainer. They also will announce their MVP, which players vote on and then the coach usually manipulates it the way he wants it to come out. My choice for MVP would be Ben Roethlisberger.

-- Hines Ward talks about his movie stardom. Click here: Pittsburgh Steelers player 'blown away by cameo in Dark Knight Rises' - Movies News - Digital Spy

-- YOU: Realize perhaps it's a little early to be talking about this, but noticed on your blog today you were somewhat advocating or hoping that the Ravens would draw the Patriots as an early playoff opponent with the possibility that they would eliminate the Pats before the Steelers had to face them?? I'm going to disagree with you a little on this and advocate that perhaps what would be best for the Steelers would be for the Pats to eliminate the Ravens from the playoffs before the Steelers have to face them. Think at this point I'd rather the Steelers go to Foxboro to face the Pats than have them go to Baltimore to face the Ravens. Also, eventually the Steelers need to beat the Pats in the playoffs for their mental health and perhaps avenge the losses in 2001 & 2004 a little, wouldn't you say??

ME: Mental health? If I'm the Steelers, I want the best chance to advance to the Super Bowl and that, to me, would be at Baltimore, not New England, where they've never beaten Tom Brady. I couldn't care less about what happened in '01 or '04 -- a large majority of players weren't on those teams. Mental health for some fans, maybe. So if they get to the Super Bowl by avoiding the Patriots again, it lessens the accomplishment?

-- YOU: Great piece. If the Steelers cut Hines it will be a sorry day for Steeler Nation. Why the heck all of a sudded this season is he done, as some say? Wrong! He still has it and I am ticked off that he is not being used. Ed, what can we the fans do? Print something that we can get on to get the message across to the org.

ME: Let's see how this plays out because I still think Ward will be back next season. Perhaps by executive order.

-- YOU: Ed, how come when the Green Bay Packers score at home and do their "Lambeau Leap" they are not penalized for excessive celebration? Seems like there's a double standard in the No Fun League.

ME: It's not against the rules if just one player is involved. Anyone can do it in any stadium, and I believe Antonio Brown did it this year. It's just that some places like Heinz Field takes a bigger leap to make it.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... f-pro-bowl (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114090-ed-lack-of-big-plays-kept-steelers-out-of-pro-bowl)

fezziwig
12-31-2011, 12:18 PM
To cover a guy really well and make interceptions is a great thing but, if I had to make a choice if I could only have one from a player would be, good coverage skills.

skyhawk
12-31-2011, 01:06 PM
I just don't get it.

Kemoeatu is a third alternate and Ike Taylor isn't even on anybody's list? Is he overshadowed by Troy or is it anti-Steeler bias? Or is it he doesn't pick off passes? We all know he is a top 5 CB in the league. :HeadBanger

frankthetank1
12-31-2011, 01:34 PM
I just don't get it.

Kemoeatu is a third alternate and Ike Taylor isn't even on anybody's list? Is he overshadowed by Troy or is it anti-Steeler bias? Or is it he doesn't pick off passes? We all know he is a top 5 CB in the league. :HeadBanger

there is no logic to it which is why the pro bowl and every all star game in any sport imo is crap and not watchable. im shocked kiesel didnt make it as well as ike but there are a ton of snubs. how marshawn lynch, cam newton and london fletcher didnt make it is beyond me. fletcher is leading the nfl in tackles!!!

ive always hated how some players always make it based on reputation. troy makes it every single year. how can anyone justify ray lewis being in the pro bowl? it reminds me of cal ripken making the all star game in his twilight years when he really didnt deserve it

RuthlessBurgher
12-31-2011, 02:11 PM
good post steeler -fan.

Harrison and Woodley have 10 starts each in 15 games to this point. Lewis has 11 starts in his 15 games.

fezziwig
12-31-2011, 04:12 PM
i'm always right :)