PDA

View Full Version : Crossing Routes

pick6
12-26-2011, 02:07 PM
In another thread I spoke of how I though Tomlin and the Bruce should spend a very high % of off. practice time on red zone offense, while moving our mental redzone to the 30 yard line. A few pionts about that.

I don't know if this is happening but someone has to tell Ben that its a different game in the red zone that what he likes to do is not always there especially against good teams with smart coaches. Ben, I know you like the vertical game and it works for you between the 20's but the field is shorter in the redzone and that gives the defense an advantage if we are going to insist on the vertical routes. We know the you can drop back look for the vertical guys, if there not open you buy time and have the best ability to find the open guy once the play has broken down. That's good but what pains many in Steeler nation is that Ben takes certain route off the table, sometimes, and if you think I notice this opposing coaches know this as well. San Fran was all over it.

But guess what Ben, teams are leaving the crossing routes open for you because our vertical game it so dangerous. Sometimes let Wallace and Brown clear out and hit Jericho, Hines, and Heath underneath. Also hit Mendenhall in the flat sometimes, we have to mix it up. Look at Wes Welker, 5 yard outs and shallow crossing routes. he is deadly. If we combine these type of routes with the wide reciever screens and add to it the dump off in the flat. and make this our red zone offense, the only thing left is execution, and thats why I would practice this stuff 70-80% from here on out. I dont know just think we have to punch it in the endzone a little more consistantly in these playoffs.

pittpete
12-26-2011, 03:22 PM
I dont know just think we have to punch it in the endzone a little more consistantly in these playoffs.

Yes, FG's and offensive turnovers will not win playoff games.
One thing Id like to see in the redzone is no David Johnson and no double TE sets.
Ben in Shotgun, in the back field-Mendy split to one side, Hines to the other
Heath in the slot or lined up as TE, Wallace and Brown on either side.
So many things you can do out of this type formation.
Keeps defenses guessing.

Keyplay1
12-26-2011, 04:12 PM
It isn't as if the Steelers do not have the people to execute these plays. And it isn't as if they do not use these plays at times. One can only hope they are saving stuff for the bigger games as one caller on the radio suggested.

But, it does get annoying to see both #1 seeds continue to use this weapon time and again--- time and again--- and no one is able to stop it. I'm getting to believe that even the average know nothing like myself can call 85% of these teams plays but it does not seem to make any difference. Obviously, perfect execution wins out.

Maybe all this over exposure with no attempt whatsoever to conceal tendencies will bite these teams in the PO's. Could happen.

A little off the topic now but Saturday was really one bizarro day. I mean after the Steelers very fast moving game one network showed the bonus ending of the Giants-Jets game. It was loaded with controversy. And the "Tuck Rule" for one was revisited. [See some notes on this in the tuck rule thread] But anyway the outcome was favorable I think for Steeler fans.

Then the other network was showing the end of the Bal-Cle game and all I saw was the final play where I got the idea the Browns goofed and did not give their team a chance to win the game with about 1:20 remaining by making a dumb penalty on a 3rd down giving Bal a 1st down and no need to punt. Oh well, that was expected I suppose.

But then they had time to go to the KC-Oak game and to me this one really hurt. I had gone out on a limb giving KC a good chance to win the AFC West and of course they had to win this game to stay alive. When they put the game on KC was trying to get into position for a game winning FG. They had a shot but it was blocked and Oak beat them after winning the coin toss in OT. Oh well, KC fans wait'll next year as they say.

fezziwig
12-26-2011, 05:18 PM
i would like to see in the redzone more saunders, miller and ward

flippy
12-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Interesting thread.

Different things are important in the RedZone and the value Wallace and Brown bring isn't as valuable as what some of the other receivers can inside the 20.

Miller, Saunders, and Ward should always be on the field in the RedZone. That's as close as we can get to running a jumbo package or going 5 wide with the same set of players.

Cotchery and Sanders should be featured along side Ward in the RedZone in 3 WR sets. Because it's not about going vertical, it's about running perfect routes, being sneaky, and finding soft spots in zones. And these 3 were designed for this part of the field.

AB's got a set of hands I never would want to take off the field though. And to a degree BA's got so many options I think he overthinks things and gets paralyzed with his play calling.

The other weapon I'd try to use in the RedZone would be Dennis Dixon. We've got this amazing athlete that's over on the sidelines. And it worked out pretty well last time we had a great athlete at QB and Chan designed a couple of plays for him in the RZ.

SteelCrazy
12-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Good points OP but BA doesnt like to call any plays unless its obvious but shouldnt be expected because its so obvious.

feltdizz
12-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Doesn't really matter what we call it's up to Ben to look for the crossing patterns and underneath routes. I think Hines slowing down is the reason our RZ passing game looks bad. Hines was money on the inside slant. Wallace had position and once again let the ball get into his body and it was easily defended.

Ben likes the vertical game but we have WR's who can take a 5 yard pass just as far as a deep pass. Let the young money use those young legs.

skyhawk
12-26-2011, 08:46 PM
It doesn't matter what the scheme is or who the players are when your OL gets dominated when it counts inside the 20.