PDA

View Full Version : Bengals beg fans to show up for decisive game

fordfixer
12-26-2011, 03:20 AM
Bengals beg fans to show up for decisive game

By JOE KAY, AP Sports Writer 10 hours, 23 minutes ago
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... pleasecome (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ApYnTxGfMCS3YbVCwVxyvWhDubYF?slug=ap-bengals-pleasecome)

CINCINNATI (AP)—One victory away from an unexpected playoff spot, the Cincinnati Bengals are already immersed in their biggest challenge of the week.

No, it’s not getting ready for Baltimore. It’s trying to get somebody to come and watch.

The Bengals (9-6) drew another less-than-capacity crowd for their 23-16 win over Arizona on Saturday that secured only their third winning record in the last 21 years. With a victory on Sunday over Baltimore, they would clinch the final AFC wild-card berth for a chance to win their first playoff game since the 1990 season.
AdChoices

Big moment. Will there be another small crowd?

Only 41,273 fans showed up on a sunny, 38-degree afternoon to watch the breakthrough victory Saturday. Paul Brown Stadium was more than one-third empty, and that’s been the norm all season. Players buoyed by the chance to make the playoffs wasted no time lobbying for an audience.

“I just want to thank the fans who were out there today,” defensive tackle Domata Peko said. “We really felt you guys out there, and that helped us out big time. I really want to encourage all of the Cincinnati fans to come out and cheer us on as we try to make the playoffs.”

The franchise’s two decades of futility have brought about the strange situation: a team begging for fans as it closes in on the playoffs.

There’s a lot of bad history behind it.

The Bengals went 4-12 last season, when coach Marvin Lewis essentially played out his contract while looking for an indication the front office was fully committed to winning. After two days of talks, he agreed to return even though owner Mike Brown said publicly that there would be no significant changes.

Franchise quarterback Carson Palmer then insisted he would sit out rather than play another season in Cincinnati. The Bengals eventually satisfied his request for a trade, sending him to Oakland during the season.

Although the Bengals got a first-round pick and a conditional second-rounder, for fans it confirmed the notion that the franchise is hopeless.

Also, Paul Brown Stadium has been an ongoing point of contention as the region struggles to recover from the recession. Hamilton County voters approved a sales tax hike in 1996, and the Bengals signed a 30-year lease that gives them a lot of control over the facility and much of its revenues. The stadium came in way over budget—bad for taxpayers—and cost roughly $450 million when it opened in 2000.

Fans bristle that the family continues to get enormous benefits from the taxpayer-financed stadium while the team remains one of the league’s least successful. On Friday, the family increased its control of the team by purchasing shares from one of the original franchise partners for more than $100 million. Forbes magazine reported that the Brown family paid in cash for the shares, estimated at 30 percent of the team. Forbes estimates that the team is worth $875 million.

The longstanding resentments showed in the team’s ticket sales this season. The Bengals have sold out only one of their seven home games, when the Steelers brought thousands of fans. They’ve drawn the smallest crowds in the 65,500-seat stadium’s history, including an all-time low of 41,142 for a win over Buffalo.

A measure of how bad it’s been: The University of Cincinnati outdrew the Bengals for one of its games at Paul Brown Stadium. Fans have showed their disapproval by refusing to buy Bengals tickets.

Will it continue for one more week?

When the game ended Saturday, the Bengals flashed an offer on the scoreboard to try to drum up business for the final game. Season ticket holders will be allowed to buy one ticket and get another free for Baltimore, a sign the game was nowhere near a sellout.

Then, the lobbying began.

“The crowd really affected the game with the noise, and I’m sure they’ll be anxious to get here next Sunday as we play for something special,” Lewis said.

Even quarterback Andy Dalton, who is steadfastly reserved in his comments, decided to stump for public support.

“It’s going to be a big week, and we’re going to need everyone to come out and support us,” Dalton said. “Everyone in Cincinnati needs to come out for this big game.”

Bengals players have avoided talking about the small crowds during the season, not wanting to alienate their small fan base. The win Saturday made them lose their inhibitions.

“I’m just happy for the team and the city of Cincinnati,” cornerback Adam “Pacman” Jones said. “The fans did a great job getting behind us, and we need all of you this week. We need the fans this week. Who Dey! Please come support us.

“I’m Adam Jones, and I approved this message.”

Jooser
12-26-2011, 10:01 AM
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h424/IBLAWLESS/bengals.gif

Not gonna knock the Bens'gals. They're gonna come through HUGE for us this weekend.

fezziwig
12-26-2011, 10:07 AM
That's pretty pathetic that the fans need to be asked to come to the games. I guess after heartbreak so many times it finally ends in results like this.

I have noticed that the Bengal girl fans are pretty good looking or, the crowd is so few I can notice them.

Wouldn't it be sweet if the Bengals knock off the Ravens ?

RuthlessBurgher
12-26-2011, 12:51 PM
The only time that they sell out is when Steeler fans invade the Stadium. How cool would it be for Steeler fans in southwestern Ohio and northern Kentucky (who need the Ravens to lose in order to have any chance at getting a first round by to get guys healthy) to show up to Paul Brown Stadium en masse to join whatever Bengal fans there are left to screaming their heads off any time the Ravens have the ball? (and, of course, waving Terrible Towels as well to show the network cameras how pathetic Cincy fans are that we had to come in and do their dirty work for them). :lol:

:bungalssuck :ratsuck

fordfixer
12-26-2011, 12:56 PM
The only time that they sell out is when Steeler fans invade the Stadium. How cool would it be for Steeler fans in southwestern Ohio and northern Kentucky (who need the Ravens to lose in order to have any chance at getting a first round by to get guys healthy) to show up to Paul Brown Stadium en masse to join whatever Bengal fans there are left to screaming their heads off any time the Ravens have the ball? (and, of course, waving Terrible Towels as well to show the network cameras how pathetic Cincy fans are that we had to come in and do their dirty work for them). :lol:

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap That would be sweet :lol: :lol: :lol:

pittpete
12-26-2011, 03:28 PM
I would never miss 1 minute of a Steeler game to watch, never mind attend another teams game :tt1
They should combine the 2 Ohio teams into the Browngals or something like that if they need more fans :lol: :lol:

fezziwig
12-26-2011, 05:22 PM
just goes to show good teams come from good ownership. do you realize if each team got to go to a super bowl each year it would take 32 years and thats only half of them getting to win.
we are so blessed that we've been to 8 super bowls. that is saying a lot when you think about it.

TallyStiller
12-26-2011, 05:52 PM
It's all about ownership. The article said the UC Bearcats had a game that sold more tickets than the Bungles/Cards game... can you imagine a world in which Pitt games outsold the Steelers? I can if Pitt wasn't looking for it's 6th head coach in 13 months and had a competent AD, while the Steelers had an owner who was as big a d****ebag as Mike Brown.

Spent my teenage years exiled in Tampa, where I was forced in the pre - internet, pre - Sunday Ticket 1980's to watch some of the worst allegedly "professional" football ever played when Hugh Culverhouse owned the Bucs. He viewed them purely as a business to be run as a profit center, and from an accounting standpoint they were very successful, even while going 2 - 14 about two out of every three seasons. Mike Brown is every bit as bad an owner as Culverhouse was from a competitive standpoint, PLUS he, according to the article, bent the people of that city over for a stadium deal that has him laughing all the way to the bank. Frankly, he's lucky those people are ONLY refusing to buy tickets, and haven't busted out their pitchforks and torches.

Sad part is, the team has wildly exceeded expectations this year, and win or lose Sunday the guys who play there really do deserve the support.

rpmpit
12-26-2011, 05:57 PM

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap That would be sweet :lol: :lol: :lol:

Agreed on the sweetness!!! :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

SteelBucks
12-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Forget the fans. I pray the BENGALS show up for their decisive game.

The Man of Steel
12-26-2011, 07:08 PM

Legions of Steelers fans taking over stadiums in both Cleveland and Cincinnati at the same time on Sunday would be even cooler. 8)

flippy
12-26-2011, 08:21 PM

I was thinking the same thing when I read this.

They should invite Steelers fans. Give tickets to Steelers fans to boo Flacco.

hawaiiansteel
12-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Go Bengals!!!

December 26, 2011

Bengals hope fans show for home finale

ESPN.com news services

Bengals encouraging fans to come to Sunday's game vs Ravens by offering deals on
The Cincinnati Bengals have locked up just their third winning record in the last 21 years and are one win away from a playoff bid, but the team's biggest victory this season would be getting fans to show up.

With paltry attendance marking an impressive season in Cincinnati, Bengals players are now asking for fans to turn out for the team's home finale against AFC North rival Baltimore next Sunday.

"I just want to thank the fans who were out there today," defensive tackle Domata Peko said Saturday. "We really felt you guys out there, and that helped us out big time. I really want to encourage all of the Cincinnati fans to come out and cheer us on as we try to make the playoffs."

If the Bengals (9-6) can knock off the Ravens (11-4), Cincinnati would be headed to the playoffs and in search of its first postseason victory since the 1990 season.

Only 41,273 fans showed up on a sunny, 38-degree afternoon to watch the breakthrough 23-16 victory over Arizona on Saturday. Paul Brown Stadium, with a 65,500-seat capacity, was more than one-third empty.

A big part in the Bengals' change in fortune on the field this year has been rookie quarterback Andy Dalton, who also is lobbying for an audience.

"It's going to be a big week, and we're going to need everyone to come out and support us," Dalton said. "Everyone in Cincinnati needs to come out for this big game."

Even coach Marvin Lewis has taken to calling upon the fans.

"The crowd really affected the game with the noise, and I'm sure they'll be anxious to get here next Sunday as we play for something special," Lewis said Saturday.

However, two decades of playing losing football has the Bengals proud of what they've accomplished for the sake of both the city and the franchise, but also looking for support from a tortured fan base.

"I'm just happy for the team and the city of Cincinnati," cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones said. "The fans did a great job getting behind us, and we need all of you this week. We need the fans this week. Who Dey! Please come support us.

"I'm Adam Jones, and I approved this message."

On Monday, the Bengals attempted to lure fans by offering a buy-one, get-one-free ticket offer to season ticket holders for Sunday's game against Baltimore.

The team sold a "couple thousand" tickets Monday morning, said Jeff Berding, the team's director of ticket sales.

"We have a lot of tickets to sell," Berding said. "The response has been great."

If the team doesn't sell out with this promotion restricted to season ticket holders, it will consider a discount offer to the public.

After Saturday's win, Bengals players practically begged fans to fill the stadium for the final game.

"We had a very enthusiastic stadium last week," Lewis said Monday. "I tell these guys, 'I can't wait to see us play.' I think people that haven't seen us play in person will have a good time. We'll do some incredible things. We'll do some things I wish we didn't quite do, I'll tell you that. But we'll do some incredible things. It will be a good football game."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/73887 ... -home-game (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7388727/cincinnati-bengals-ask-fans-turn-week-17-home-game)

SteelCrazy
12-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Bengals offer buy-1, get-1 free tix for Week 17

The Bengals have been one of the best stories of 2011, winning enough games so far to set them up for a win-and-they're-in situation against the Ravens in Week 17. (As noted at our playoff scenario home, Cincy's in if the Jets and Raiders both lose too.) But not enough people are taking notice, and Cincy's still struggling to fill Paul Brown Stadium.

To make up for the woeful attendance (and to avoid a local blackout), the Bengals are offering a buy-one, get-one free ticket special between now and Sunday's game, an unheard of special for an NFL game. Oh, and the players are begging the fans to show up too.

"I just want to thank the fans who were out there today,” defensive lineman Domata Peko said, per the Cincinnati Enquirer. "We really felt you guys out there, and that helped us out big time. I really want to encourage all of the Cincinnati fans to come out and cheer us on as we try to make the playoffs."

You can't really blame the Bengals, though. On October 2, 41,142 people showed up to see Cincy play the Bills and it was the smallest crowd in regular-season history for the stadium. That was the third time in 2011 there were less than 42,000 folks at Paul Brown, including this past Saturday, when only 41,273 people showed up despite the Bengals battling for the playoffs.

Here's an alternate suggestion if the sale doesn't work out: just have Jerome Simpson do flips into the end zone at halftime.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 8/34048105 (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/34048105)

RuthlessBurgher
12-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Bengals offer buy-1, get-1 free tix for Week 17

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:bungalssuck :bungalssuck :bungalssuck :bungalssuck
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SteelCrazy
12-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Could this be the end of the Bengals? If they cant sell tickets they may have a reason to move to a new city.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Toronto Bengals? I'd hate that except for the fact that I'd get the Steelers up here every year, and I would be able to make fun of the local fans non-stop.

Los Angeles Bengals? Would be quite a trip for an AFC North team, but at least we'd get sunshine in December. :D

SteelCrazy
12-27-2011, 11:57 AM
The Anchorage Polar Bears.........where ice meets cleats

Sugar
12-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Why would Mike Brown sell the team? They are a huge money-maker for him. If I recall right, they were actually more profitable than the Steelers last year (don't ask me where I read that, though).

ColumbusSteelerFan
12-28-2011, 03:38 PM
I guess their gimmick worked. Now if the stadium will actually be full on Sunday is another story...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/73959 ... ime-season (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7395976/cincinnati-bengals-avoid-blackout-second-time-season)

Bengals announce sellout for finale

By Jamison Hensley
ESPN.com

It's only fitting that a team that has enjoyed one of the most shocking turnarounds in the NFL this season ended with another surprise.

The Cincinnati Bengals announced they have sold out Sunday's regular-season finale against the Baltimore Ravens, a day before the NFL's blackout deadline. The odds of filling up Paul Brown Stadium seemed extremely slim before the team used some creativity.

Cincinnati used a special promotion for season-ticket holders -- "buy one, get one free" -- to record its second sellout of the season. The Bengals can clinch their third postseason berth in two decades with a win over the Ravens.

"Our fans have made a tremendous response this week to our sales efforts, and we thank the entire community for its support of the Bengals," Katie Blackburn, the team's executive vice president, said in a statement. "We're pleased that the game will be on television for everyone, and we look forward to the fans at Paul Brown Stadium giving us a great home-field advantage for a very important game against Baltimore."

If the Bengals (9-6) can knock off the Ravens (11-4), Cincinnati would be headed to the playoffs and in search of its first postseason victory since the 1990 season. The Ravens need to win to clinch the AFC North title and a first-round bye. Baltimore could clinch the division even if it loses, but only if the Pittsburgh Steelers lose to the last-place Cleveland Browns.

The Bengals have been the unexpected success story of the division, going from a four-win 2010 season to playoff contention this year. But the team has struggled to sell out games and has played regularly at the 65,000-seat capacity Paul Brown Stadium with one-third of the seats empty.

The only sellout this season came against Pittsburgh, when a large continent of Steelers fans made their way from Western Pennsylvania. Now, in order to have a true home-field advantage, Bengals fans must resist the temptation of selling their tickets to Ravens fans who will be coming to town.

Only 41,273 fans showed up on a sunny, 38-degree afternoon to watch Cincinnati's breakthrough 23-16 victory over Arizona on Saturday.

Jamison Hensley covers the AFC North for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.