PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall is the Steelers Digest Player of Week

hawaiiansteel
12-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Mendenhall is Digest Player of Week

By Bob Labriola - Steelers Digest

Without Ben Roethlisberger at quarterback, the Steelers knew they were going to have to be able run the football more often and more effectively, and to that end they were going to turn to turn to Rashard Mendenhall.

Mendenhall came into the game with 774 yards rushing (3.8 average), and his only 100-yard game to this point in the season had come on Oct. 16 vs. Jacksonville. The Steelers turned to Mendenhall against the Rams, and he responded in a big way. He rushed for 116 yards on 18 carries (6.4 average), with a long gain of 52 yards plus a touchdown, and he also caught a short pass and turned that into a 35-yard play to finish with 151 yards from scrimmage in the teamís 27-0 win over the Rams at Heinz Field.

Mendenhall is the Steelers Digest Player of the Week.

Also considered were: Trai Essex, who stepped in at center when Doug Legursky was injured on the Steelersí second offensive play of the game and made no mistakes with the football; Antonio Brown, who caught three passes for 34 yards to go over 1,000 yards on the season, added 35 yards on returns, and made the tackle from his deep return spot to foil an attempted fake punt; Lawrence Timmons, who led the team with 11 tackles and added a sack; Troy Polamalu, who had six tackles, including two for loss, and broke up a pass; and William Gay, who had six tackles, including two for loss, and broke up a pass.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... c91ca95899 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Mendenhall-is-Digest-Player-of-Week/fc07cf0f-69b5-4421-a170-e4c91ca95899)

Discipline of Steel
12-25-2011, 01:45 PM
So Mendy needs 110 yards against the Browns next week to go over 1,000. Im betting he gets there with Batch under center again.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Mendy had a nice game for sure. Would like to see a game like that against a playoff caliber team.

I agree with the others that were considered. I have to admit I got nervous when Legs went down but Essex stepped up nicely. Makes me wonder about the best combo of Pouncey, Legs, Essex in the interior line down the stretch. Also, could Kemo play smart all or most the time like he did vs. the Rams?

pittpete
12-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Mendy ran hard today.
Liked how he got low on the goaline score.
$2,556,000= Mendy's cap hit next year

Snatch98
12-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Mendy had a nice game for sure. Would like to see a game like that against a playoff caliber team.

I'm tired of reading stuff like this because it's short sighted. Mendenhall has done that against playoff teams. We aren't running the ball this year and when we do we're stuffing Rashard in to holes that don't develop, running predictable plays (See the Super Bowl fumble) and just not committing to the run. Do I think it should be 60-40 run pass? No but give Mendenhall a chance to show what he can do. I hope he sticks around and gets a extension because Mendenhall behind consistently competent line play is a elite tailback. People forget we rode Rashard the first 5 games last season. People forget he's had really good seasons. He hasn't been amazing this year but he's been solid. I blame part of that on his hesitation because the holes aren't developing and he wants to hit the homer. I also put that on Arians and his often times sh.it play calling. We need to keep Mendenhall because Issac Redman IS NOT a work horse back. He's a ideal complement. We don't know what we have with Batch.

I also don't think he's going to break the bank. He'll get a respectable contract and stay with the Steelers IMO. I also feel that the team values him a lot more than our fan base. Mendenhall has all the tools to be a tank in this league. The team just needs to do a better job scheming and we need to bolster our line a little more. Guard please. Unless Colon bumps inside or Foster/Legs continue to develop. Essex did look solid tho.

Jooser
12-26-2011, 09:38 AM
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad259/CantonBulldogs94/Renders/Football/Steelers-Rashard-Mendenhall.png

Beast of a day for Mendy! We'll need more of that in the post-season.

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Mister Pittsburgh
12-26-2011, 11:43 AM

I'm tired of reading stuff like this because it's short sighted. Mendenhall has done that against playoff teams. We aren't running the ball this year and when we do we're stuffing Rashard in to holes that don't develop, running predictable plays (See the Super Bowl fumble) and just not committing to the run. Do I think it should be 60-40 run pass? No but give Mendenhall a chance to show what he can do. I hope he sticks around and gets a extension because Mendenhall behind consistently competent line play is a elite tailback. People forget we rode Rashard the first 5 games last season. People forget he's had really good seasons. He hasn't been amazing this year but he's been solid. I blame part of that on his hesitation because the holes aren't developing and he wants to hit the homer. I also put that on Arians and his often times sh.it play calling. We need to keep Mendenhall because Issac Redman IS NOT a work horse back. He's a ideal complement. We don't know what we have with Batch.

I also don't think he's going to break the bank. He'll get a respectable contract and stay with the Steelers IMO. I also feel that the team values him a lot more than our fan base. Mendenhall has all the tools to be a tank in this league. The team just needs to do a better job scheming and we need to bolster our line a little more. Guard please. Unless Colon bumps inside or Foster/Legs continue to develop. Essex did look solid tho.

On one hand you bash my post and say it is short sighted, and then you go on and state exactly why I said I hope he has the same type of game in the playoffs. You say he runs hesitant because there aren't holes and he wants to hit the homerun. We don't need the homerun. We need him to stick his nose into what hole IS there and get 4-5 yards instead of worrying about 45 yards. The stutter at the LOS anytime there isn't a big hole stops all his momentum. Bang it the heck in there and get what you can Mendy!

RuthlessBurgher
12-26-2011, 01:19 PM
So Mendy needs 110 yards against the Browns next week to go over 1,000. Im betting he gets there with Batch under center again.

Other potential milestones that can be reached vs. the Browns:

Hines needs 5 catches to reach 1000 for his career.
Ben (if he plays) needs 144 passing yards to reach 4000 for the second time in his career.
Harrison needs 1 sack to reach double digit sacks for the fourth straight season.
Woodley (if he plays) needs 1 sack to reach double digit sacks for the fourth straight season.
Ike needs 1 interception to tie his career high for INT's in a season (3).

buckeyehoppy
12-26-2011, 10:02 PM

It's early. But the weatherman is calling for a mud/slush pit at the Three Ring Circus (aka Clowns Stadium). If that turns out to be true, the Steelers need to start Batch and get somewhere between 30 and 40 touches for the running game.

The only way to beat the Browns is to shove it down their throat. Their O sucks. But that doesn't mean that we can afford to leave our D on the field (especially after repeated failures on 3rd down). We must control the tempo of the game for the entire 60 minutes.

I don't see the need to start Ben in this game. I do see the need for him to be the #2. But, first and foremost, we must establish the ground game and protect the rock. That is the way to win this game with the least amount of drama.

phillyesq
12-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Mendy ran hard today.
Liked how he got low on the goaline score.
$2,556,000= Mendy's cap hit next year

His base salary next year is something like $800k if memory serves me correctly. Most of his cap hit is from a signing bonus. Cutting Mendenhall will have little to no benefit for the cap. I wouldn't extend him unless the terms are team friendly, but cutting him will result in only negligable cap savings.

ramblinjim
12-27-2011, 04:59 PM
If we could establish a run game worth anything, Brown and Wallace would be brutal as play action deep threats with Heath in the middle. With more and more teams drafting and playing to stop the pass and rush the quarterback, a team with a good O-line and solid running back will be tough in December.