PDA

View Full Version : They call me Bruce

jj28west
12-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Gents,

As long as I have been lurking Steelerboard message clubs I dont think there is a more hotly contested subject that is football related. (Ben's private life being non football related)

To debate this you have to make a ton of assumptions including that none of us are reporters,etc on the field sidelines, practices, game plan sessions with the coaches, etc.

You also need to have emotion removed and take a step back while arguing this case.

If you break it down into scheme, execution, player, & management authority it really becomes an interesting arguement.

At the end of the day you can also say it all falls on the head coach since he is accountable for everything in most sport matrix organizations.

Having said all of this and the fact that it has been documented that Ben is allowed a lot of power in running the offense including situational play calling, holding the ball longer then the typical 3 read progression,etc.. has actually made me not bash BA to the extent like I have done with passion in the past.

For years I would scream that our personnel & formation packages (especially goal line)were obvious and that good game film study by the oponent exposes them.

In a lot of cases though it really did come down to failure of execution like block pickup,etc.

The bubble bunched up screen a lot of times would only net 2 yards. Whether it was disguised well or not with successful blocking you could see Ward get 5-7 yards which is good as any run on 1st down when the safeties may be cheating up.

I would scream why dont we run more RB screens. Here is a case where with the current personnel on our line may not be athletic enough to execute it so the play usually gets blown up.

Its not like I converted fully overnight from basher to lover. Its actually other posters opening my eyes to another POV that may not be entirely wrong and that there may be more that is going on that what I see at 1st glance. I guess I have become more open minded and not afraid to hurt my pride and say the blame does not squarely only falls on BA's offensive philosophy why we have Red Zone woes.

Thoughts?

SteelCrazy
12-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Gents,

As long as I have been lurking Steelerboard message clubs I dont think there is a more hotly contested subject that is football related. (Ben's private life being non football related)

To debate this you have to make a ton of assumptions including that none of us are reporters,etc on the field sidelines, practices, game plan sessions with the coaches, etc.

You also need to have emotion removed and take a step back while arguing this case.

If you break it down into scheme, execution, player, & management authority it really becomes an interesting arguement.

At the end of the day you can also say it all falls on the head coach since he is accountable for everything in most sport matrix organizations.

Having said all of this and the fact that it has been documented that Ben is allowed a lot of power in running the offense including situational play calling, holding the ball longer then the typical 3 read progression,etc.. has actually made me not bash BA to the extent like I have done with passion in the past.

For years I would scream that our personnel & formation packages (especially goal line)were obvious and that good game film study by the oponent exposes them.

In a lot of cases though it really did come down to failure of execution like block pickup,etc.

The bubble bunched up screen a lot of times would only net 2 yards. Whether it was disguised well or not with successful blocking you could see Ward get 5-7 yards which is good as any run on 1st down when the safeties may be cheating up.

I would scream why dont we run more RB screens. Here is a case where with the current personnel on our line may not be athletic enough to execute it so the play usually gets blown up.

Its not like I converted fully overnight from basher to lover. Its actually other posters opening my eyes to another POV that may not be entirely wrong and that there may be more that is going on that what I see at 1st glance. I guess I have become more open minded and not afraid to hurt my pride and say the blame does not squarely only falls on BA's offensive philosophy why we have Red Zone woes.

Thoughts?

That's a well thought out, logical post. Why would you do that? :D As a BA basher, I do have one question though. Doesn't poorly designed plays against the wrong defense make execution very hard to pull off?

pfelix73
12-24-2011, 11:18 AM
:Agree

Right on the $. Can't execute the play if the play is a poor one at that......

I still say "Get a real FB and can these 1 back sets. They could really use one today with Ben out..

:tt1

birtikidis
12-24-2011, 12:27 PM
People have to remember, if the defenses executes correctly then they will stop the play. My problem with Arians is that he runs plays that are not conducive to the personnel that we have. DJ is not a fullback, don't use him like he is. He's an H-Back, use him THAT way. Our line is not good at passblocking, call faster developing plays. Our running back is NOT a power running back (mendenhall), stop calling the same power running play that you'd call with Bettis.

isonator07
12-24-2011, 12:45 PM
People have to remember, if the defenses executes correctly then they will stop the play. My problem with Arians is that he runs plays that are not conducive to the personnel that we have. DJ is not a fullback, don't use him like he is. He's an H-Back, use him THAT way. Our line is not good at passblocking, call faster developing plays. Our running back is NOT a power running back (mendenhall), stop calling the same power running play that you'd call with Bettis.

:Agree

BURGH86STEEL
12-24-2011, 12:48 PM
I agree. Like all QB driven offenses in the league, the offense lives and dies by Ben's style of play. I feel that Ben struggles more in the red zone because of the inconsistencies in his game. Decisions need to be made quicker in the red zone. The coverage and throwing lanes are tighter in the red zone. It also seems that there are passes Ben doesn't like to throw.

Injuries to the Oline hasn't helped the run game score as often when they had opportunities. Penalties and dropped passes hurt them in the redzone at times. Can add questionable play calling at times. I believe most of the issues were due to player mistakes or poor execution.