PDA

View Full Version : More evidence of how gloriously spoiled Steeler fans are...

TallyStiller
12-23-2011, 09:37 PM
It's amazing how much I'm reading from posters here about how our defense is terribly schemed, a shell of its former self, and having a simply awful season... How bad would it suck if they weren't also, as of this posting, the NUMBER 1 OVERALL DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE! 276.6 YPG, one of only 3 defenses giving up less than 300 YPG. 4.6 YPP, one of only 4 teams under 5. Also, there's this - after watching us get torched by New England, New Orleans, and Green Bay last year, we've made the adjustments and are now #1 in the league against the pass, allowing 179 a game.

Considering the fact that we've had games where we were down to 4 D linemen, have been down 3 of our 4 starting LB's... I gotta say I'm pretty pleased on the whole with the effort. Are we the '74 Steel Curtain or the '85 Bears? No, but we're better than all 31 of the other teams out there right now.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-24-2011, 12:57 AM
it really is kind of funny.

ovi has been mocking lebeau on this board for years while he consistently fields a top 5 defense and goes to the superbowl almost every other year.

I would hate to be around here if they really sucked.

jj28west
12-24-2011, 07:03 AM
It's amazing how much I'm reading from posters here about how our defense is terribly schemed, a shell of its former self, and having a simply awful season... How bad would it suck if they weren't also, as of this posting, the NUMBER 1 OVERALL DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE! 276.6 YPG, one of only 3 defenses giving up less than 300 YPG. 4.6 YPP, one of only 4 teams under 5. Also, there's this - after watching us get torched by New England, New Orleans, and Green Bay last year, we've made the adjustments and are now #1 in the league against the pass, allowing 179 a game.

Considering the fact that we've had games where we were down to 4 D linemen, have been down 3 of our 4 starting LB's... I gotta say I'm pretty pleased on the whole with the effort. Are we the '74 Steel Curtain or the '85 Bears? No, but we're better than all 31 of the other teams out there right now.

Well said

Steelerphile
12-24-2011, 07:19 AM

I was thinking very similar thoughts and debated making a post about, but yours is good. No. 1 overall defense isn't as good a deal as it once was, I guess. People complaining about how average QBs consistently march up and down the field, and they're so tired of seeing it. It must be the SOFT schedule. That is the reason. But I just don't think that is an adequate explanation to me. They have played representative NFL teams. Of course the weak schedule is used perennially to explain Steeler success.

But one think the Steelers haven't done this year is get a lot of sacks, they have 30, which puts them in the middle or get a lot of turnovers, they have only 14, which is down at the bottom. I think that makes it appear they're not making things happen on defense.

7 UP
12-24-2011, 07:46 AM
Amen brother. Well said.

Oviedo
12-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Nothing at all wrong with being spoiled...as long as it is us :wink:

The difference with Steelers fans is that typically they are fans good and bad. Not true with many other cities. Therefore in the scheme of things we deserve to be spoiled more than anyone else!!!!!

MaxAMillion
12-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Meanwhile Dom Capers precious defense is next to last. All we heard after the Super Bowl was how much better Capers was than Labeau.

Just wait until Labeau leaves...people will start to realize how good he is when he isn't running the defense anymore. Most spoiled Steeler fans don't remember what the defense looked like under Tim Lewis before Labeau got here, but believe me it was not as good as it has been under Labeau. Same thing with Haslett. The defense was not nearly as consistent when he coached the defense.

Almost every fanbase in the league would welcome having Labeau as their DC, but arrogant Steeler fans think the defense isn't good unless they pitch shutouts in a league where all the rules favor the offense. Just absurd...

pittpete
12-24-2011, 01:13 PM
To be fair to LeBeau,ask yourself how many playmakers does this defense truely have?
Exactly 2.
We played without 1 last week.

DukieBoy
12-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Though the defense is so highly rated, I think the dissatisfaction comes from the recognition that this defense does not dictate the game like the Steeler defenses used to do.

One very significant factor is that the game has changed so much, recently, and in the longer term, to favor offenses. Another factor is the turnovers, a relative lack of turnovers.Yet another factor is the Steeler offense, which cannot run the ball well enough to dominate TOP when needed.

I am a strong Lebeau fan, though I don't like the cushion much, like more aggressive DB play.

My :2c

fezziwig
12-24-2011, 01:45 PM
The offense turning the ball over more than they should.

Harrison out some games and playing in recovery mode.

Woodley out some games.

Troy having health issues.

The defensive line having health issues.

I'd say our defense is doing well. Would I like them to do better ? Sure but, you can't take away the injuries, other teams play us like it's their Super Bowl.

The biggest let down the defense gave me this season was the 92 yard scoring drive the Ravens put on us on our own field plus, all the complications that came out of that loss.

The fact is, we have such a talented offense that the OC can't seem to direct/conduct or coach correctly is this teams biggest problem.

NJ-STEELER
12-24-2011, 03:51 PM
besides brady, ios there a QB we played this year that puts fear in a defense?

schuab i guess, but he lost his best weapon a lil after halftime

curtis painter, tavaris jackson, colt mccoy, rookie dalton x's 2, flucco x's 2, skeleton, locker, a smith,palko, clemmens,gabbert,

Steelerphile
12-24-2011, 05:01 PM
besides brady, ios there a QB we played this year that puts fear in a defense?

schuab i guess, but he lost his best weapon a lil after halftime

curtis painter, tavaris jackson, colt mccoy, rookie dalton x's 2, flucco x's 2, skeleton, locker, a smith,palko, clemmens,gabbert,

These are the same QBs the rest of the NFL plays also. Why aren't other defenses rated No. 1? You make it seem they all are terrible and that is just not accurate.

NJ-STEELER
12-24-2011, 05:56 PM
huh?

the rest of the NFL has the same schedule as us or had to face back ups at the time we played them?

here's what im concerned with. playing a top QB like breees, rodgers, brady, most of those crap QBs wont be in the payoffs (flacco will)

sooo, while they're ranked #1, i certainly dont feel they done as good as job as the year we won SB43 or even last year.
and of course i know its been without harrison and woodley for big stretches of the season.

they'll need both healthy for the team to do some damage in the playoffs (as well as a healthy ben)

Steelerphile
12-24-2011, 06:19 PM
huh?

the rest of the NFL has the same schedule as us or had to face back ups at the time we played them?

here's what im concerned with. playing a top QB like breees, rodgers, brady, most of those crap QBs wont be in the payoffs (flacco will)

sooo, while they're ranked #1, i certainly dont feel they done as good as job as the year we won SB43 or even last year.
and of course i know its been without harrison and woodley for big stretches of the season.

they'll need both healthy for the team to do some damage in the playoffs (as well as a healthy ben)

Have you gone through every teams schedule and determined what QBs they faced and when? There are only a handful of QBs like Brees, Rodgers and Brady. The rest of the time everybody else is playing the second-level QBs too. I think the Steelers faced as big a challenge as the rest, and they still stand at No. 1 statistically.

I can understand why you don't feel why they haven't done as great as job as the year they won the SB. That defense was one of the best in franchise history. But I don't personally agree with how much dirt and disrespect is thrown at this defense.

Of course in the playoffs, you face the better QBs, but according to you Flacco isn't any good and if they face Tebow, he won't be considered any good. Somehow, the rest of the NFL couldn't stop them sufficiently to keep them out.

I guess I am the optimistic type and think that a No. 1 NFL rating shows they have good credentials and can make a good run. Whereas a lot of other people are always grumbling and saying how this, that and the other is not good enough.

NJ-STEELER
12-24-2011, 06:49 PM
i am optimistic. as long as harrison and woodley are healthy

ramblinjim
12-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Tim Lewis made me throw stuff at the TV screen.

flippy
12-26-2011, 08:39 PM
By yardage, the AFCN has the #1, 3, 6, and 11 defense in the NFL. We've had a very weak schedule.

Call us spoiled, but when I watch the games, we don't get consistent pressure and don't force turnovers. And this has been an issue that's been coming down the track for a few seasons now.

Just like the 70s Steelers got to the point where they needed Bradshaw to carry them, that's where we are now. We need Ben to carry this team. We're as good as Ben plays ultimately. It's time to start clicking on offense early and putting the petal to the metai.

We need the other team playing catchup. We need their QB to hold the ball longer to have to go vertical down field so we can get to the QB and force mistakes.

Watching the Steelers is stressful for us fans. Every game is close and down to the wire. Defense keep it close. Ben pull it out in the end. That's our formula.

But now it's time to flip the script. We've got all these weapons on offense. Ben and BA need to figure out how to start using these guys. It's maddening these guys haven't figured it out by now.

flippy
12-26-2011, 08:49 PM
The Pats and the Pack have the 31st and 32nd ranked D by yardage, but they have 2x and 3x the number of INTs that we have.

And we're dead last in the league in Forced Fumbles.