PDA

View Full Version : Batch to Start

AkronSteel
12-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Report: Ben Roethlisberger ruled out

Ben Roethlisberger will be resting his sprained ankle through the weekend as the Steelers named Charlie Batch their starting quarterback for Saturday's game against the St. Louis Rams, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review is reporting.

Roethlisberger was nursing a high right ankle sprain when he passed for 330 yards in a 20-3 loss to San Francisco on Monday night., but also turned over the ball four times.

He said Wednesday that he came out of the game better than he anticipated, but offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said the long cross-country plane trip back home aggravated swelling in the ankle.

Information from The Associated Press was included in this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/73841 ... teelers-qb (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7384193/charlie-batch-replaces-ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-qb)

SteelCrazy
12-23-2011, 03:51 PM
With Chuck at the helm we can finally get back to Steelers football and RUTFM!

God help us, and Cleveland and Miami and...............(fill in blank)

DukieBoy
12-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Rest the injured, Ben and Pouncey and all.
We need them healthier if we are to be successful road warriors in the playoffs.

fezziwig
12-23-2011, 06:10 PM
I wonder if the coaching has decided this scenario ?

1. We didn't beat the niners so the hopes of getting on top of the ravens is probably out the window.

2. Why not allow our team to get healthy since we do have a playoff spot and allow a healthy team fight to live for the next round in the playoffs.

Each time our Steelers get into the jamb like we are with the Ravens ahead of us I, always remember the coaches preaching, " win your division and everything else will take care of itself. "

A simple rule of thought but, how very correct those words and actions are.

Is this the situation we found ourselves in the time we needed to go to Cincy and beat them in the playoffs ? This kind of reminds me of that and with us being a sixth seed.

PS. the Steelers never lost to a divisional rival during the playoffs. I hope that run of luck/performance continues.

Ghost
12-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Should have gotten Batch a quater of play last game (at least). This is a winnable game for the Steelers, Batch or not. St. Louis is horrendous.

Steeler Shades
12-23-2011, 09:47 PM
One week too late. But better now than to continue with a gimpy Ben that has difficulty making good decisions while in the pocket. 8)

Mister Pittsburgh
12-24-2011, 01:40 AM
Oh good. We choose to start the backup that is less mobile then a one legged Roethlisberger.

flippy
12-24-2011, 06:50 AM
This is good. Forcing the team to play/win without Ben will make us stronger going into the playoffs.

Wonder what being a mile high would do to a high ankle sprain and traveling across the country in the playoffs? Thanks for making me more concerned than I already was BA.

jj28west
12-24-2011, 07:01 AM
You can only make assumptions but Dennis Dixon is done as a Steeler if he cant beat Charlie with respect to where both are in their careers.

Steeler Shades
12-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Unlike Ben last week.....Batch was not our opponents best player during today's game. I wonder if Ben gave Tomlin permission to make the decision about whether Batch would start? 8)

ramblinjim
12-24-2011, 08:35 PM
I realize the Rams stink but it was good to see the Steelers running the ball today.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Unlike Ben last week.....Batch was not our opponents best player during today's game. I wonder if Ben gave Tomlin permission to make the decision about whether Batch would start? 8)

I suspect they had to clear it with Ben. Unless he is physically unable to walk out on the field, they would need to get Ben's OK to hold him out.

MaxAMillion
12-25-2011, 06:47 PM

I believe Tomlin is the head coach and he makes the decisions that he feels are best. Kind of insulting to assume that Ben tells Tomlin what to do. I would started Ben against the Niners. Pop arm batch wouldn't have done a thing against that Niners defense.

Chadman
12-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Batch is an undervalued commodity- a smart player that doesn't lose you a game when called upon.

He might not WIN games for the Steelers, but he allows the other, better players like Mendy to get value for their efforts, instead of throwing the game away.

Chadman likes Batch.

Not sure if Ben or Batch should have started vs the 49ers, but Chadman IS sure that Mendy should have been the bellcow that game as well- particularly when you consider that the Steelers were running the ball well early.

No need to put the responsibility of winning the game on your injured QB's shoulders like they did.

Steeler Shades
12-26-2011, 10:25 AM
I wonder if Ben gave Tomlin permission to make the decision about whether Batch would start? 8)

I believe Tomlin is the head coach and he makes the decisions that he feels are best. Kind of insulting to assume that Ben tells Tomlin what to do.

Not according to Ben:

"He tried to take me out," Roethlisberger said of Tomlin. "I told him I didn't want to come out. I didn't want to let my guys down. I didn't want to put [backup] Charlie [Batch] in that position. I started and I was going to finish."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11354/11 ... z1h6bP4igy

I would started Ben against the Niners. Pop arm batch wouldn't have done a thing against that Niners defense.
You don't know what Batch might have done. We do know that 4 TOs by Ben were insurmountable in that game. Ben is NOT a good pocket passer. 8)

fezziwig
12-26-2011, 10:30 AM
I wonder if the team, Ben and the coaches are so wrapped up in the Big Ben tough guy thing that, they figure he can do anything ?
Usually when Ben is banged up he plays really well but this time against the Niners, he was just too beat up to be in that game.

No matter who they would have placed at QB there would always be an arguement. With the way Mendy was running the ball they should have kept the run game going peppered with some dink and dunk passes. That's too much to ask from Arians.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-26-2011, 10:52 AM
With the way Mendy was running the ball they should have kept the run game going peppered with some dink and dunk passes. That's too much to ask from Arians.

$$$
And I contend that Batch would have been alright managing that kind of game. Would we have won? Maybe not, but we would have had a better chance of winning.