PDA

View Full Version : Steelers First to Worst In Field Goal % in Four Years Time

hawaiiansteel
12-23-2011, 02:47 AM
Steelers First to Worst In Field Goal Percentage in Four Years

by Neal Coolong on Dec 22, 2011

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/2525612/80713_AFC_Championship_Football.jpg

San Francisco weaponized P Andy Lee in San Francisco's 20-3 win in Week 15.

He took field position back from the Steelers with the force of a falling feather. Dropping multiple punts deep in Steelers territory, he individually hampered the Steelers offense almost as much as OLB Aldon Smith's three sacks did.

K David Akers was as solid as any other, drilling two kicks to keep the pressure on the visiting Steelers.

If the kickers of the 49ers are Mike Tirico, the Steelers' are John Sutcliffe.

Special teams, especially the individuals kicking the ball, factor in heavily come post-season time. While San Francisco may not have to worry, the Steelers certainly do.

Jason Kapinos, the replacement of Daniel Sepulveda for the second consecutive year, is in the bottom third of the league in net average. Taking the net average is more an accurate depiction of a punter's overall success, being that a fair catch is a desirable outcome.

The more glaring problem is with K Shaun Suisham. Or, more specifically, his problem with field goals of 40 yards or more.

His 52-yard field goal against San Francisco would have been good from 52.5 yards, and the surprise of that successful kick was quickly drowned out when he missed a 48-yarder later in the game. He currently ranks last in the NFL with a 73.1 percentage.

It's the longer ones that make or break a kicker's career. Missing 40+ yard field goals has been an alarming trend for Suisham - and the Steelers recently.

Dating back to the 2010 playoffs, Suisham is 6-for-13 (46.1 percent) from 40 yards or longer. Both of Suisham's misses in the post-season - one from 43 yards against Baltimore and from 52 against Green Bay in the Super Bowl - were in close games.

Of the last 10 Super Bowl champions, none have missed more than one field goal of 40+ yards in the playoffs.

Suisham made Steelers fans forget ousted K Jeff Reed, who was abysmal in his nine final games in Pittsburgh (68.2 percent). He hit 14-of-15 in the final seven regular season games, including 8-of-9 from 40+ yards.

He had to work to get the team's field goal percentage up to 78.4 percent, good for 25th in the league. The bottom fell out though, and the Steelers have fallen from 92 percent in 2007, best in the league in Tomlin's first season, to last by Week 14 of 2011.

There aren't any reports swirling about the Steelers auditioning new kickers. Salary cap space largely limits any potential transactions, but with Suisham's recent streak of inaccuracy, the Steelers may have to loosen up the restrictions on going for it in 4th-and-short situations inside the opponents' 33 to 23 yard lines.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/12/22/2655651/nfl-steelers-kicking-shaun-suisham-jason-kapinos#storyjump)

pittpete
12-23-2011, 09:51 AM
But its too tough to kick fieldgoals at Hienz field wah, wah wahhhhhhh!!!! :loser

SteelAbility
12-23-2011, 09:53 AM
We could bring back Jeff Reed. :Binky

RuthlessBurgher
12-23-2011, 10:38 AM

:lol: What was with that Sutcliffe dude? How did he possibly get on the air?

frankthetank1
12-23-2011, 12:12 PM

:lol: What was with that Sutcliffe dude? How did he possibly get on the air?

haha i was saying the same thing to my wife. that guy was really hard to understand.

this has to be it for suisham. i was shocked he made that 52 yarder against the 9'ers but all in all he really sucks. it really sucks about sep he was having a great year before his injury. i think sep might be through as well. 2 years back to back he has to be put on the IR, without ever getting hit or anything mind you. kapinos isnt great but at least he is better than berger. for a backup punter he isnt terrible.

another point about the ST's i would like brown to not be returing kicks or punts after this season. he is a way too valuable on offense to have on st's.

TallyStiller
12-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Have said this in this space before. The Steelers have to address this for the remainder of this season by leaving Suisham nailed to the bench unless they reach the opponent's 25 or they're playing in Denver. Period. Down and distance strategy has to be adjusted to meet this reality, and the team must enter 2012 with a clean sweep at the positions.

There is no reason that any kicker employed by an NFL team should not be virtually automatic inside 50 yards. There are simply too many good ones out there to be paying somebody anywhere from 20 to upwards of 50 k per kick without having them go through dependably.

focosteeler
12-24-2011, 04:59 AM
Have said this in this space before. The Steelers have to address this for the remainder of this season by leaving Suisham nailed to the bench unless they reach the opponent's 25 or they're playing in Denver. Period. Down and distance strategy has to be adjusted to meet this reality, and the team must enter 2012 with a clean sweep at the positions.

There is no reason that any kicker employed by an NFL team should not be virtually automatic inside 50 yards. There are simply too many good ones out there to be paying somebody anywhere from 20 to upwards of 50 k per kick without having them go through dependably.

I don't think there are really that many good kickers in the NFL. There is a reason good kickers stay in the nfl for long periods of time. They are hard to find, if there were that many, teams would never resign their kicker to a higher salary, they would just find another off the street.

flippy
12-24-2011, 06:47 AM
I still don't understand why we didn't keep Roadhouse. I thought he clearly beat out Sushi in the preseason.

And then watching Lee punt on Monday reminded me what a bum Kapinos is.

Starlifter
12-24-2011, 09:18 AM

it also reminded me why the steelers took a chance on sepulvada in the third round. fans tend to not place as much importance on the punter as is warranted. i've always maintained the punt is the first play of a defensive series. we sure saw what great punts can do for a defense last week.

Mel Blount's G
12-26-2011, 04:54 AM

it also reminded me why the steelers took a chance on sepulvada in the third round. fans tend to not place as much importance on the punter as is warranted. i've always maintained the punt is the first play of a defensive series. we sure saw what great punts can do for a defense last week.
Fragilevada was 4th round wasn't he? Regardless, I fear this to be our achilles heel come postseason. We will just have to blow people out and avoid close games. I'm actually pleasantly surprised our record is this good with such a sh!tty kicking game