PDA

View Full Version : NFL looking to fine James Harrison for game time "tweeting"

hawaiiansteel
12-22-2011, 01:22 AM
NFL looking to fine James Harrison for game time "tweeting"

by steelincincy on Dec 20, 2011

Sources inside NFL headquarters reported today that the NFL is considering fining James Harrison for his "twitter" message during last night's game. The NFL prohibits players "ON THE ACTIVE ROSTER" from the use of electronic messaging devices within certain timeframes before, during and after NFL games. The rule has no language or distinction for player who are under suspension. This would be the first time an NFL player is sanctioned under the rule while not being in the stadium or city where the game is played. A first offense fine for violating this rule is typically $5000.

The NFL official, who declined to be named, stated the NFL may also look to add this violation to Harrison's repeat offender status, which may lead to another game suspension.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... e-tweeting (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/12/20/2650618/nfl-looking-to-fine-james-harrison-for-game-time-tweeting)

D Rock
12-22-2011, 02:27 AM
I hope this is true and they suspend him again.

If something this absurd happens, then hopefully it will be the straw that breaks that camel's back and leads to that p.o.s. being removed from his position.

Make no mistake...the players own this league. Without star players like Deebo all you have is the CFL. If a guy gets suspended for tweeting while sitting in his living room and being banned from even standing on the sidelines, then the other players should not take it laying down.

SteelCrazy
12-22-2011, 02:37 AM
"ON THE ACTIVE ROSTER" should not include a player not on the active game day roster.

Discipline of Steel
12-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Certainly gives the vendetta conspiracy theorists some legs. Wasnt James Harrison deactivated for the game? ie 'inactive'

Northern_Blitz
12-22-2011, 07:55 AM
It's funny...the first thing I thought of when they showed his tweet was "Arn't players not supposed to tweet during games."

Just another example of the No Fun League.

Steelers>NFL
12-22-2011, 08:21 AM
This is..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is this league coming to??? :wft

phillyesq
12-22-2011, 09:36 AM
I'd have to imagine that the players' union would step in here if this is accurate.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-22-2011, 09:49 AM
If they fine him for that the Rooney's better show some sack and make a statement to the league. Harrison is being targeted like no other. You got guys punching people in the face and stomping on players that aren't as villified as Harrison.

steelz09
12-22-2011, 12:27 PM
wow... this is unbelievable.

If Deebo gets fined for this, I would get the best attorney that Deebo's money can buy and come after Goodell with everything he has.

Take it up the chain to the supreme court... whatever it takes. That is absolutely uncalled for. Goodell and the NFL should be ashamed of themselves.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-22-2011, 12:46 PM
There is no freedom of speech in Herr Goodell's brave new league.

Correction: make that Herr Goodell's PUSSIFIED new league.

steelblood
12-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Is Steelincincy a respected journalist?

hawaiiansteel
12-22-2011, 01:26 PM
December 21, 2011

James Harrison returns from ban

ESPN.com news services

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison understands his helmet-to-helmet hit on Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy was illegal by the letter of the law.

He can also understand, grudgingly, why the NFL suspended him one game as punishment for a series of similar hits over the last three seasons.

What Harrison doesn't quite understand, however, is why the Browns haven't also been disciplined by the league for allowing McCoy to return to the game so quickly if the quarterback was in such bad shape.

"If he was hurt so bad I don't know why they let him back in ... two plays later," Harrison said. "Something should be done to them, I would think. I don't know. I got a game, what should they get?"

League spokesman Greg Aiello said the Browns will not be penalized for their handling of McCoy's injury.

McCoy was escaping pressure late in the fourth quarter when he tucked the ball as if to run. Harrison, who had been in coverage, approached ready to strike. McCoy pulled up at the last second and flipped the ball to running back Montario Hardesty right before Harrison mashed McCoy with his facemask.

Harrison contended after the game that McCoy ducked. Looking at the tape he's not so sure.

"I guess he's a little shorter, who knows? I don't know," Harrison said. "When it came down to it, my helmet hit his. Oh well."

The quarterback was down on the field for several moments but was cleared by the Browns to return a few plays later -- just in time to throw a clinching end zone interception in a 14-3 Pittsburgh win.

McCoy developed concussion-like symptoms following the game and hasn't practiced since while the Browns have come under scrutiny for the way they handled the situation.

Cleveland's failure to check McCoy for a concussion led the NFL to put a certified trainer in the press box at each game to help monitor head injuries.

Harrison practiced Wednesday for the first time since the suspension. The 2008 NFL Defensive Player of the Year doesn't think he needs to change the way he plays to avoid further disciplinary action.

"I'm doing everything they ask me to do," Harrison said. "I've lowered my target area, that's it."

Harrison, who has lashed out at league officials in the past for their crackdown on what is considered dangerous hits, seemed more nonplussed about the suspension than previous fines.

"I'm not worried about anything," he said. "I can't foresee the future. I'm not a fortune-teller. I'm going to deal with it as it comes."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/73770 ... colt-mccoy (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7377036/pittsburgh-steelers-james-harrison-questions-cleveland-browns-handling-colt-mccoy)

Slapstick
12-22-2011, 02:36 PM

Sources inside NFL headquarters reported today that the NFL is considering fining James Harrison for his "twitter" message during last night's game. The NFL prohibits players "ON THE ACTIVE ROSTER" from the use of electronic messaging devices within certain timeframes before, during and after NFL games. The rule has no language or distinction for player who are under suspension. This would be the first time an NFL player is sanctioned under the rule while not being in the stadium or city where the game is played. A first offense fine for violating this rule is typically $5000.

The NFL official, who declined to be named, stated the NFL may also look to add this violation to Harrison's repeat offender status, which may lead to another game suspension.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... e-tweeting (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/12/20/2650618/nfl-looking-to-fine-james-harrison-for-game-time-tweeting)

It hasn't happened yet, so I doubt it will...

That would be a freaking joke and it would make Goodell look even more petty and vindictive, if possible...

BURGH86STEEL
12-22-2011, 04:17 PM
The best thing to do is stay off of twitter and facebook.

Shawn
12-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Again, I am reading many posts from Harrison apologists.

Lets say that what everyone is saying is true...and it probably is...that Harrison is being targeted. Certainly Harrison believes it. So then why would you not be aware of the rules that can lead to fines and suspensions? Either you are dealing with ignorance, or you are dealing with a player being hard headed enough to hurt his team...time and time again. Either one is unacceptable.

I think the issue of Harrison being targeted is irrelevant. It's about personal responsibility. It's about being aware of your surroundings, the rules within those surroundings and abiding by them. It's really not rocket science.

California-Steel
12-22-2011, 06:17 PM

Sources inside NFL headquarters reported today...
Uhmmm...you guys know this is a joke, right?

feltdizz
12-22-2011, 06:31 PM
That tweet was hilarious. If the report was a joke it really shows how bad the NFL is right now.

We have fans ready to bash the owners, take this to the supreme court and others calling on Harrison to stop "hurting" the team due to a funny tweet.

Its really sad that fans are drawing lines in the sands over their teammates because the owners in the NFL are watering down the game and fining anything that moves.