PDA

View Full Version : GM for a day

SteelCrazy
12-21-2011, 10:58 PM
If you were appointed GM of the Steelers for one day and were allowed to make only one decision concerning players, what move would you make?

This isnt on draft day, so that is ruled out. Cut a player, add a player, fire a coach.

Make your move.

fordfixer
12-22-2011, 02:12 AM
Give myself a raise :lol:

SteelCrazy
12-22-2011, 02:31 AM
fordfixer made a great move. Who can top it?

Considering all the geniuses on this board that always have the answers I thought this would be an easy topic to tackle, but complete silence, except for ff, is all I can get?

:owned

fordfixer
12-22-2011, 02:40 AM

Considering all the geniuses on this board that always have the answers I thought this would be an easy topic to tackle, but complete silence, except for ff, is all I can get?

You make it sound as if I was scraped off the bottom of the Barrel

Jooser
12-22-2011, 09:45 AM
That's better than being scraped off the bottom of a shoe!

:moon

RKSteel
12-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Tell Tomlin to fire BA and ask DL to retire.

RuthlessBurgher
12-22-2011, 11:05 AM
I'd fire myself and re-hire Kevin Colbert immediately. He's smarter than I am when it comes to football operations. He has a tendency to make sound football decisions in the best interest of the team as a while, not irrational, emotional reactions that fans like me might regret later.

RKSteel
12-22-2011, 11:11 AM
I'd fire myself and re-hire Kevin Colbert immediately. He's smarter than I am when it comes to football operations. He has a tendency to make sound football decisions in the best interest of the team as a while, not irrational, emotional reactions that fans like me might regret later.
Who said to bring logic to this question? :D

RuthlessBurgher
12-22-2011, 11:16 AM

Okay, then...cut Woodley because he hasn't come back from his hamstring injury well enough for fans' taste. :lol:

phillyesq
12-22-2011, 11:23 AM

Okay, then...cut Woodley because he hasn't come back from his hamstring injury well enough for fans' taste. :lol:

Not to mention Pouncey. Weak ankle, too weak to play after he lost 10 pounds in a weak and suffered from dehydration - clearly he has no place on this team. :lol:

Mister Pittsburgh
12-22-2011, 11:35 AM
I would fire Arians & promote Fichtner till season end then bring in a someone from outside.

steelblood
12-22-2011, 11:38 AM
No offense, but this is a poor question. If you are assuming that today is the one day, there really isn't much that can be done. FA isn't open, the trade deadline is past, new players wouldn't really have a chance to learn the scheme before the playoffs, etc. You can't even sign someone from the Canadian football league for a few weeks. You really can't even cut Kemo (not that I would at this point) because you can't replace him (since you only have one move). You can't even promote someone from the PS because you'd have to cut someone first (which would be two moves).

Oviedo
12-22-2011, 12:19 PM
I'd strongly push Tomlin to get two new Coordinators. Ultimately it is the HC's decision, but as much as I really like Tomlin if Arians and LeBeau come back I question his judgement. We need a fresh look and approach moving forward on both sides of the ball.

I'd thank them and say good bye to Aaron Smith, Hoke, Kemo, Farrior, Foote, D Johnson, Bmac, Foster, Suisham and possibly Ryan Clark and Casey Hampton (unless they both took paycuts). This to prevent the same situation we had in the early 80's where we hung on to players way too long.

I'd target legit Guards in both Free Agency and the Draft. In addition to the OL, in the draft I'm seriously looking at Safety, ILB, NT, TE and RB. I'm also putting forth a strong effort to resign Cotchery as insurance that Hines is done and Sanders can't get over his injury issues. IMO Cotchery deserves more reps.

Dee Dub
12-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Order Tomlin to give Ryan Mundy a two game trial at Free Safety.

SteelCrazy
12-22-2011, 05:24 PM
No offense, but this is a poor question. If you are assuming that today is the one day, there really isn't much that can be done. FA isn't open, the trade deadline is past, new players wouldn't really have a chance to learn the scheme before the playoffs, etc. You can't even sign someone from the Canadian football league for a few weeks. You really can't even cut Kemo (not that I would at this point) because you can't replace him (since you only have one move). You can't even promote someone from the PS because you'd have to cut someone first (which would be two moves).

Come on now.....just for funsies

fezziwig
12-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Fire BA and hire Turner after the Chargers release him. Sign a real fullback, more passes to Saunders and Miller.
Get rid of Johnson, Farrior, Arron Smith, Kemo, Jonathan Scott, Shuisham, Colon. Troy's only allowed to play in the important games or at least not in games like St. Louis and other scrub teams.
Ask Timmons for his money back and take the minumum salary. Bench Ziggy in favor of Heyward.
Look for guards and a left tackle in free agency.

Allow Steeler Cheerleaders and I don't mean the mods from another site that, shall remain nameless.

DukieBoy
12-22-2011, 08:04 PM

and full medical and dental insurance benefits.

SteelCrazy
12-22-2011, 10:22 PM

We all know you're top scum fordfixer......you are nowhere near the bottom. :lol:

SteelCrazy
12-22-2011, 11:12 PM

If we play @ Denver in the playoffs you'll probably get your wish.

hawaiiansteel
12-22-2011, 11:49 PM

great point! :Clap :Cheers

Playoff game in Denver could mean Steelers won’t have Ryan Clark

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 22, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/ryanclark2-e1321210505336.jpg?w=250

If the final two weeks of the NFL season go more or less as expected, the Broncos will be the No. 4 seed in the AFC and the Steelers will be the No. 5 seed, which would mean Pittsburgh at Denver in the wild card round.

And that may mean the Steelers will have to play without starting safety Ryan Clark.

In 2007, Clark got very ill after playing at Denver, reportedly because of a medical condition affected by the altitude. In 2009, when the Steelers played at the Broncos, Clark was held out, although he said he would have played if Steelers coach Mike Tomlin had let him. The 2009 game at Denver was the only game in the last three seasons that Clark has missed.

Neither the Steelers nor Clark has said whether he’ll play this time around at Denver, but if Tomlin wouldn’t let Clark play in Denver two years ago, he may insist on Clark sitting out again this time around. It’s a situation that bears watching if the Steelers end up at Denver in the first weekend of the playoffs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... yan-clark/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/22/playoff-game-in-denver-could-mean-steelers-wont-have-ryan-clark/)

SteelCrazy
12-23-2011, 01:32 AM

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/ryanclark2-e1321210505336.jpg?w=250

If the final two weeks of the NFL season go more or less as expected, the Broncos will be the No. 4 seed in the AFC and the Steelers will be the No. 5 seed, which would mean Pittsburgh at Denver in the wild card round.

And that may mean the Steelers will have to play without starting safety Ryan Clark.

In 2007, Clark got very ill after playing at Denver, reportedly because of a medical condition affected by the altitude. In 2009, when the Steelers played at the Broncos, Clark was held out, although he said he would have played if Steelers coach Mike Tomlin had let him. The 2009 game at Denver was the only game in the last three seasons that Clark has missed.

Neither the Steelers nor Clark has said whether he’ll play this time around at Denver, but if Tomlin wouldn’t let Clark play in Denver two years ago, he may insist on Clark sitting out again this time around. It’s a situation that bears watching if the Steelers end up at Denver in the first weekend of the playoffs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... yan-clark/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/22/playoff-game-in-denver-could-mean-steelers-wont-have-ryan-clark/)

Michael David Smith sounds like a very smart man.

fordfixer
12-24-2011, 03:08 AM
That's better than being scraped off the bottom of a shoe!

:moon
True, but not by much :moon to you to :lol:

fordfixer
12-24-2011, 03:10 AM

and full medical and dental insurance benefits.
I already have that :wink:

fordfixer
12-24-2011, 03:11 AM

We all know you're top scum fordfixer......you are nowhere near the bottom. :lol:
Thank you I try to be the best :lol:

flippy
12-24-2011, 06:44 AM
I'd first appoint myself as GM for life.

Then I'd figure out how to go get Aldon Smith from the 49ers. I've never seen a pash rusher own Max Starks like that ever. Max regularly negates some of the best pass rushers on the planet, but had no chance against Aldon.

Aldon looked like James Harrison on steroids.

pittpete
12-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Fire Bruce Arians and tell D.Johnson to give Bruce back the naked pictures of his wife

Discipline of Steel
12-24-2011, 04:44 PM

Except Cleveland is on the comeback trail!!! Down by 6 points, 7 minutes to go......