PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Draft: What if.....

Dee Dub
12-21-2011, 07:24 PM
..when the time comes for the Steelers to make their 1st round pick, QB Landry Jones is still on the board?

First this is just a "what if" to see what Steeler fans think. Second, I myself am not advocating the Steelers doing this.

So in light of the fact that the Steelers dont have a viable back up to Ben, and the fact that with Ben's style of play (being prone to injuries), is this something you think the Steelers should consider?

Of late, I have been seeing Landry falling down some boards. Some have him in the low to mid 20's.

pittpete
12-21-2011, 08:50 PM
1st round QB salaries are usually high no?
Rather spend first round $$$$ on an O-lineman or replacement for Farrior

SteelBucks
12-21-2011, 09:35 PM
All three of the backup QB's are UFA's so the Steelers will probably draft a QB, just not in the first round. I'd rather spend the money on a more immediate need on the offensive line or at ILB.

steelblood
12-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Since Broyles went down, Jones has looked like a 3rd rounder to me.

RuthlessBurgher
12-21-2011, 10:33 PM
In that case, I'd trade our 2012 first round pick to a QB needy team for their 2012 second rounder and 2013 first rounder. :twisted:

steelblood
12-21-2011, 10:37 PM
In that case, I'd trade our 2012 first round pick to a QB needy team for their 2012 second rounder and 2013 first rounder. :twisted: You might even be able to get another mid round pick (maybe a 4th in 2012) in that deal.

Dee Dub
12-22-2011, 12:38 PM
In that case, I'd trade our 2012 first round pick to a QB needy team for their 2012 second rounder and 2013 first rounder. :twisted:

Yep...that is what I would do.

phillyesq
12-22-2011, 01:13 PM
..when the time comes for the Steelers to make their 1st round pick, QB Landry Jones is still on the board?

First this is just a "what if" to see what Steeler fans think. Second, I myself am not advocating the Steelers doing this.

So in light of the fact that the Steelers dont have a viable back up to Ben, and the fact that with Ben's style of play (being prone to injuries), is this something you think the Steelers should consider?

Of late, I have been seeing Landry falling down some boards. Some have him in the low to mid 20's.

Can he play guard?

grotonsteel
12-22-2011, 01:57 PM

Yep...that is what I would do.

+1

Shoe
12-22-2011, 02:03 PM

I don't think you can say, without knowing who else is on the board. Obviously, this is a luxury pick... I do not think the team is in position for that luxury. We don't need the (youth) overhaul that people were saying we did back in September, but it's clear that we need help in key areas... and primarily we need an infusion of dynamism into our proud defense (that the lack of turnovers indicate).

Shawn
12-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Would I consider a high round, even a round 1 QB...if the Steelers truly thought he was special? Absolutely. Would it be feasible financially? Probably not.

SteelCrazy
12-22-2011, 10:32 PM
What if we actually draft the 1st rounder we need instead of the BPA and get a great left guard that can help us now. Start with BPA in the 2nd, just this year. What if?

Slapstick
12-23-2011, 01:03 AM
What if we actually draft the 1st rounder we need instead of the BPA and get a great left guard that can help us now. Start with BPA in the 2nd, just this year. What if?

Because there's no guarantee that the Steelers would have a "great left guard" available...

Don't overdraft...if there is a guard with a 1st round grade available, so be it...

SteelCrazy
12-23-2011, 01:28 AM

Because there's no guarantee that the Steelers would have a "great left guard" available...

Don't overdraft...if there is a guard with a 1st round grade available, so be it...

I'm with on that.....we cant reach, but if there's a top notch LG and he's only the 4th best player available then we still need to get him.

steelerkeylargo
12-23-2011, 10:04 AM
I have seen EVERY game Jones has played. While I think he has fantastic physical tools there is something in his cranial region that doesn't equate. Plain and simple I question if he has the "winners" quality. I would much rather have Kellen Moore in the 3rd or Dominique Davis in the 5th.

Dee Dub
12-23-2011, 12:30 PM

OK let's take a look at this. Using GBNREPORT's latest mock draft, here is what may be at or around picks 22-32.

22 NY Jets*Nick Perry LB Southern California
23 Denver*Mohamad Sanu WR Rutgers
24 Cleveland (from Atlanta)*Landry Jones QB Oklahoma
25 Detroit*Lamar Miller RB Miami
26 Houston Brandon Thompson NT Clemson
27 Baltimore Luke Kuechly LB Boston College
28 Pittsburgh Keleche Osemele OG Iowa State
29 New England (from New Orleans)Mel IngramLB South Carolina
30 San Francisco Jerel Worthy 5T Michigan State State
31 New England Fletcher Cox 5T Mississippi
32 Green Bay Brandon Jenkins LB Florida State

http://www.gbnreport.com/2012projection.html

..this nets what you yourself suggest, the best OG on the board, in Keleche Osemele. I have seen Osemele play 3 times this year, and all three times what I came away with is this guys isnt very good. Now he was playing at LT but none the less he looked bad.

Personally if it went down like this I would much rather the Steelers move up 2 spots and get NT Brandon Thompson from Clemson or stop the Ravens from getting ILB Kuechly.

steelerkeylargo
12-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Miller, Keuchley or Worthy!!

steelerkeylargo
12-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops said Friday, Dec. 23, that he expects QB Landry Jones to return for his senior season rather than declare for the NFL Draft. "My gut feeling is that he'll stay," Stoops said.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1hSY6UAom

NJ-STEELER
12-24-2011, 04:09 PM

nooo

lets take a defensive player so he can be a back up for 2 years instead. think about the 2014 season :)