PDA

View Full Version : Is Bruce Arians the Problem or Not?

SteelCrazy
12-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Aside from a couple clever plays last night I didn't see anything that hasn't been played out over and over again the last 4 years. We are 10-4 so sometimes it has to be working. The Defense has only given up 20 points or less in all of our wins, so that could be a big reason why we are 10-4.

When BA is calling plays it seems that there is no rhyme to the reason. As if he doesnt know what he's doing, just calling plays, at best, according to yardage to go for a 1st. I've seen enough of this guy and more than ready to watch him leave.

It seems Ben could have benefitted from that pistol shotgun formation due to his ankle, but it wasnt used. Maybe they felt it wasnt necessary, that Ben was mobile enough.

Our offense has so many weapons, including Mendenhall if used correctly and we can only put up 3 points. Yea, Ben hurt had a lot to do with it, but we should have been able to score 21 points. Arizona dropped 21 on them last week.

Is BA the best this team can do? Could someone else make us an offensive power house?

Steelhere10
12-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He could have sprinkled Dixon in with some kind of wildcat formation, to throw a new wrinkle but what does he do........ Pass 1million times when your QB is injured/inefficent. Changing personell with seconds left to go before halftime SHOULD ANSWER this question.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-20-2011, 09:22 PM
BA may not be the whole problem, but he's the biggest part of it, IMO.

NorthCoast
12-20-2011, 10:01 PM
He isnt the whole problem, but he certainly doesn't help his players be the best they can be.

We need an OC that will take charge and put Ben in his place. Ben should have sat last night regardless of whether he "wanted" to play.

JDSteeler
12-21-2011, 11:29 AM
WTF was BA doing for 10 days???

BA, MT, and Ben all agreed on this Game-plan???

The only plays I saw were...RUTFM, and 5-7 step drops!!

How about a reverse, or a screen, or anything different than
RUTFM, and dropping Ben back for passes that aren't there.

Hines wasn't even targeted, let alone caught on stinking pass!

WTF is up with that...Hines still needs 10 catches for a 1000???

What an absolute disrespect to Ward!!!

I cant stand BA!!!!

If he can't figure out a friggin gameplan that protects
Ben, and gets us a few points, is absolutely pathetic.

The Steelers better issue a whipping to the Lambs!!!!

Final score Steelers 49 Rams 8!!!!!

JD

feltdizz
12-21-2011, 11:52 AM
you can't protect a player like Ben from himself. He likes contact and will take hits if he thinks he can get it down field.

I thought I saw an attempt at a screen or 2...

we had 4 TO's and 3 were INT's that could have been avoided. I could see if they were tips or deflections but they were bad decisions or poor throws.

steelz09
12-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Yes. He's one of them.

His only solid game plan that rings a bell as of recently is against the Pats where we utilized Heath and our short passing game.

I really question the guys IQ level and his problem solving abilities. Lack of both (regardless of X's and O's knowledge) can explain for his lack "in game adjustments" abilities.

Slapstick
12-21-2011, 12:13 PM

The RUTFM was working...

I would like to have seen more RUTFM and fewer passes...

Shoe
12-22-2011, 10:17 PM
He's not the problem. If he was, do you really think Tomlin and Roethlisberger would go and ask him to reconsider leaving/retiring? (which they did)

His suckiness is overrated IMO, on this board. Same with LeBeau.

SteelCrazy
12-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Shoe, sometimes you need to be out of the loop to know the problem. 85% of this board can't be wrong! Can we?

Slapstick
12-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Shoe, sometimes you need to be out of the loop to know the problem. 85% of this board can't be wrong! Can we?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is an internet message board!!!

85% wrong is a conservative estimate!!!

hawaiiansteel
12-22-2011, 11:51 PM

The RUTFM was working...

I would like to have seen more RUTFM and fewer passes...

me too, especially with Ben hurt.

SteelCrazy
12-23-2011, 01:29 AM

This is an internet message board!!!

85% wrong is a conservative estimate!!!

lol

pittpete
12-23-2011, 09:59 AM
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem

feltdizz
12-23-2011, 10:16 AM

:lol:

RuthlessBurgher
12-23-2011, 11:08 AM

Unless we're chemistry nerds...then if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate. :wink:

frankthetank1
12-23-2011, 12:27 PM
BA is the problem when the steelers lose but not when they win haha.

if you think BA is most or even half of the problem what does that say about tomlin, the FO, and the organization in general? i think if BA was really as in ept as most think he wouldnt of lasted a full season with the steelers. i trust tomlin, colbert's and the rooneys opinions on knowledgable coaches. i think they know what they are doing. oh wait they probably just keep BA because ben likes him haha that makes a whole lot of sense :roll:

fezziwig
12-23-2011, 12:42 PM
He's not the problem. If he was, do you really think Tomlin and Roethlisberger would go and ask him to reconsider leaving/retiring? (which they did)

I think we are pretty in tune with what we see. Just because we are not players or coaches doesn't mean we don't understand what is happening.
Are fans just morons that have no clue to what they have been playing since childhood, wacthing with passion since childhood ?

I'm not one of them but, there are a lot of smart football posters on this site and others that do have an excellent knowledge of the game.

I've said it from the start, " I like Tomlin, he came in and complemented an excellent football team with his leadership but, the dude must not have a clue about offense or else he would have fired BA a while back. "
Same with Ben, Ben has a buddy in Arians that started out as an assitant coach to Ben so, they most likely had a friendship before BA was the OC.

Look up BA's track record with us and other teams that he coached.....it reads like a demon resume. The guy only does as well as he does due to the talent on the offense, a great defense.
We've won despite of Arians.

The guy could quit, get fired, retire today and he wouldn't get another OC offer and for sure not a head coaches job.

Only once in my life did another teams assistant coach come to my attention because he was so stupid and that coach was BA when he was Clevelands OC.

rockonsteel
12-23-2011, 01:32 PM

I think we are pretty in tune with what we see. Just because we are not players or coaches doesn't mean we don't understand what is happening.
Are fans just morons that have no clue to what they have been playing since childhood, wacthing with passion since childhood ?

I'm not one of them but, there are a lot of smart football posters on this site and others that do have an excellent knowledge of the game.

I've said it from the start, " I like Tomlin, he came in and complemented an excellent football team with his leadership but, the dude must not have a clue about offense or else he would have fired BA a while back. "
Same with Ben, Ben has a buddy in Arians that started out as an assitant coach to Ben so, they most likely had a friendship before BA was the OC.

Look up BA's track record with us and other teams that he coached.....it reads like a demon resume. The guy only does as well as he does due to the talent on the offense, a great defense.
We've won despite of Arians.

The guy could quit, get fired, retire today and he wouldn't get another OC offer and for sure not a head coaches job.

Only once in my life did another teams assistant coach come to my attention because he was so stupid and that coach was BA when he was Clevelands OC.

Couldn't agree more. Very well said!

:Clap :Clap :Clap

Rockon

Shawn
12-23-2011, 02:19 PM
IMO, Arians is an average OC. He isn't a stinker, but he isn't great. We could certainly find improvement by replacing him.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-24-2011, 02:02 AM
THE problem? No

A problem? Yes, a big problem

But not THE problem

papillon
12-24-2011, 02:18 AM
The Steelers find themselves in a position that few teams ever get in the NFL.

They have a franchise quarterback who gets along with his offensive coordinator.

They have a defensive coordinator that may be coveted by other teams, but he isn't leaving to become head coach due to his age and his defense is typically a top 5

They have an offensive coordinator who many think is a buffoon, but he has transformed the Steeler offense from a run first to a pass first offense to take advantage of the rules. He isn't leaving to be a head coach, mostly because of his age and partly because his offense hasn't reached its potential.

They have a head coach who won't be going anywhere too soon, because the owners of the team believe in stability at the top.

In other words, the Steelers have a head coach, defensive coordinator and offensive coordinator that aren't going elsewhere to coach and this creates an atmosphere of continuity and outstanding player relations. No other team (and probably not the Steelers once Lebeau, Arians or Tomlin retire) have the opportunity for stability at the three primary coaching positions.

So, while some hate Arians, some hate Lebeau and some hate Tomlin, the bottom line is the Steelers have leadership stability at the top and I hope it doesn't change any time soon.

Pappy

fezziwig
12-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Too bad stability on offense can't game plan, make game time adjustments, doesn't use the players to the best of their abilities.

Also too bad that the head coach doesn't have enough offensive smarts to interject to lousy game day planning, game day adjustments oops, no game adjustments with his OC.

Bruce Arian comments that have stuck out to me.

Reporter: Bruce, you tried running that play all day and it didn't work against the defense why, with minutes remaining, the game on the line would you run that play again ?

Arians: That's exactly why I ran that play I, didn't expect the defense to believe we would try that play again since, we had no success with it the entire game.

I believe this was after our last Super Bowl with Green Bay having a starter out for the game or during the game in the secondary.

Reporter: Bruce, why didn't you throw against the backup during the game ?

Arians: We don't attack players or go against their weaknesses, we stick with our game plan.

That's our brilliant OC.

The sad thing is, he will probably leave when Ben retires or Bruce gets him killed and you'll never know just how terrific this offense could be had we had an OC that was at least half way decent.

SteelCrazy
12-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Too bad stability on offense can't game plan, make game time adjustments, doesn't use the players to the best of their abilities.

Also too bad that the head coach doesn't have enough offensive smarts to interject to lousy game day planning, game day adjustments oops, no game adjustments with his OC.

Reporter: Bruce, you tried running that play all day and it didn't work against the defense why, with minutes remaining, the game on the line would you run that play again ?

Arians: That's exactly why I ran that play I, didn't expect the defense to believe we would try that play again since, we had no success with it the entire game.

I believe this was after our last Super Bowl with Green Bay having a starter out for the game or during the game in the secondary.

Arians: We don't attack players or go against their weaknesses, we stick with our game plan.

That's our brilliant OC.

The sad thing is, he will probably leave when Ben retires or Bruce gets him killed and you'll never know just how terrific this offense could be had we had an OC that was at least half way decent.

OMG, did he really say those 2 things? If he did, I hate him more than ever and he should be fired on those comments alone!

Mister Pittsburgh
12-24-2011, 11:56 AM
A- please provide a link to whatever article those quotes were from.
B- we will see how good Arians offense & gameplanning skills are with Batch at QB & he doesn't have Ben out there with his backyard football skills.

fezziwig
12-24-2011, 12:40 PM
I did not read his words, I heard his words in his interview. Believe me, I did hear him say those comments and I wouldn't give false statements or anything like that.

pittpete
12-24-2011, 01:24 PM

That's our brilliant OC.

Sounds like the genius to me.

fezziwig
12-24-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm telling you, " not only is Arians a tool, he's the entire tool box "

rockonsteel
12-28-2011, 01:38 PM
B- we will see how good Arians offense & gameplanning skills are with Batch at QB & he doesn't have Ben out there with his backyard football skills.

I did not read his words, I heard his words in his interview. Believe me, I did hear him say those comments and I wouldn't give false statements or anything like that.

FWIW, you've got at a witness here. I heard both interviews. And both quotes I've seen in print, but I am not gonna take the time to try and find them. As I'm sure Fezz fell the same way. But, the words are true and came directly from Arians' blowhole.

QB hobbled on one leg? OL banged up and not great at pass blocking? No problem, let's dial up 45 pass plays and make our franchise QB a sitting duck against one of the most phyiscal defenses in the league in the 9ers, with a really good pass rush. Brilliant!!!(Those are my words, not Bruce)

Rockon

fezziwig
12-28-2011, 04:24 PM

FWIW, you've got at a witness here. I heard both interviews. And both quotes I've seen in print, but I am not gonna take the time to try and find them. As I'm sure Fezz fell the same way. But, the words are true and came directly from Arians' blowhole.

QB hobbled on one leg? OL banged up and not great at pass blocking? No problem, let's dial up 45 pass plays and make our franchise QB a sitting duck against one of the most phyiscal defenses in the league in the 9ers, with a really good pass rush. Brilliant!!!(Those are my words, not Bruce)

Rockon

:lol: :lol: :lol:

NorthCoast
12-28-2011, 06:10 PM
I will confirm those quotes as well and paraphrased as much in a thread a while back. BA admitted to not changing the gameplan due to injury or who might be playing. His comment: "everyone needs to perform to the same level, so we don't feel it is necessary to make changes based on who is in the game".....

I have no problem with a coach that believes in his guys, but to think they all have equal skill levels is moronic to say the least. BA may not be all of the problem, but making a change at OC might help with the other ones we do have.

DukieBoy
12-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Offense is pretty good between the 20's. But then ...

How's your Red Zone offense this year?
How's your Red Zone offense against good defenses?
How's the playcalling working in the Red Zone?

fezziwig
12-29-2011, 12:50 AM
Is it just stupid on his part or ego on his part not to make changes during the situations of the games ?

rockonsteel
12-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Is it just stupid on his part or ego on his part not to make changes during the situations of the games ?

Yes! :HeadBanger

Rockon

Jooser
12-29-2011, 10:25 AM

If you ain't first, you're last Baby!!! WOOOOOO!!!!