PDA

View Full Version : What a Nasty 49'ers defense, lots of top picks

BigRob
12-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Did they say on MNF that San Fran had almost 20 top 11 picks on their team?

Seems like they drafted well and finally got over the hump with the right coaching. That defense was nasty. It reminds me how I wish ours still was. The aggression was palpable.

Dee Dub
12-20-2011, 09:25 PM
And trip this...they were without their best defensive player, Patrick Willis. The best inside LB in football.

NJ-STEELER
12-21-2011, 01:12 AM
compare that to us with 1...ben

off the top of my head. top 11 picks

smith, davis, crabtree, aldon smith,willis, justin smith was top 11 for the bengals i believe, ginn for miami, carlos rodgers???not sure...was he 8 with the skins??, braylon edwards for the browns

maybe he meant overall and not just ones drafted by them or 20 1st rounder all together

3 1st rounders on the OL. staley, iupati and the OT from rutgers. not sure if any of those broke 11...maybe the rutgers kid

Slapstick
12-21-2011, 03:03 PM
When you suck as bad as the 49ers have for such a long time, you can eventually hit on some high draft picks...

Personally, I wouldn't necessarily be proud of that...

What the Steelers do on defense, consistently performing and ranking highly while consistently drafting in the bottom of the round is much more of an accomplishment...

BigRob
12-21-2011, 03:05 PM
It shows me that you need good coaching and good drafting. 49'ers were drafting well for a lot of years and they were not being coached up.

Boom. Bring in Jim Harbaugh and good assistants. Without any spring OTA's at all they were able to get these guys to play up to their potential.

feltdizz
12-21-2011, 03:09 PM
It shows me that you need good coaching and good drafting. 49'ers were drafting well for a lot of years and they were not being coached up.

Boom. Bring in Jim Harbaugh and good assistants. Without any spring OTA's at all they were able to get these guys to play up to their potential.

This 49ers team has been close for a while... the problem was Alex Smith. Either he was being asked to do too much or no one gave him the comfort that he was their guy.

If Willis played Ben would be on IR right now. They are built to make a SB run.

Shoe
12-21-2011, 03:56 PM
WTF do you expect? Let us pick in the top 10 every year, and we'll have all kinds of blue-chip talent too! I give credit to teams with guys like James Harrison (undrafted), Steve McLendon, Brett Keisel...

All they did was play like a toilet bowl for 10 years, and reap the benefits.

BigRob
12-21-2011, 05:07 PM
WTF do you expect? Let us pick in the top 10 every year, and we'll have all kinds of blue-chip talent too! I give credit to teams with guys like James Harrison (undrafted), Steve McLendon, Brett Keisel...

All they did was play like a toilet bowl for 10 years, and reap the benefits.

No ****e Sherlock. Tell me something I don't know. The whole point I made was how important coaching is combined with good draft picks. Obviously we draft well.

It's also obvious that we need an infusion of youth and talent on the defensive side of the ball. Our guys are getting old (Farrior, Polamalu, Clark, Harrison, Keisel, Hampton, Ike, etc..)

We have a good base of youth in Heyward, Hood, Woodley, Timmons, but it's time to re-load.

When is the last time our defense played that kind of vim and vigor? 2008?

phillyesq
12-21-2011, 05:12 PM
A lot of the 49ers former top picks were castoffs from other teams or free agent signings. Whitner, Rodgers, Edwards and Justin Smith were high picks with their original teams.

Steelers>NFL
12-21-2011, 05:13 PM
The Browns & Bens-Gals have selected top 10 the last 15 years or so. Maybe a top pick or two. And they both continue to SUCK! At least the Bens-Gals show promise here and there.
Like every other year the last 6 years. All the money they both paid out to top players and got what in return? Garbage... :bungalssuck :brownssuck

Mister Pittsburgh
12-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Amazingly we had 400+yds of offense against them. And the take-aways they had were on a tipped ball from Heath right to a defender, a horrible pass from Ben into 3 defenders around one WR, forget the other INT, and then Ben trying to brace his fall on his ginger ankle coughing up the ball easily. Not amazing defensive plays at all.

feltdizz
12-21-2011, 06:58 PM
The SF D isn't that bad. They didn't drop the passes by Ben or fail to recover the fumble.

Makes you wonder how people can blame BA when we had 400 yards of offense.

Fix the TO's and boneheaded mistakes and if we still can't generate points he deserves blame. Hard to blame any coach when the franchise QB has 4 INT's. I'm not knocking Ben, he showed why he will be a HOFer but the TO's lost that game. Not the playcalling.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-21-2011, 08:02 PM
We can put up yards with the best of them. Just not points. Count how many times the Pats GB & Saints have topped 30 points, then count the same for us. Then do the same for every season Arians has been OC.

steelblood
12-21-2011, 10:40 PM
A lot of the 49ers former top picks were castoffs from other teams or free agent signings. Whitner, Rodgers, Edwards and Justin Smith were high picks with their original teams.

Justin Smith is no castoff. The Bengals wanted to resign him, but the 49ers outbid them. Even the STeelers talked to his agent because our staff really respected his talent.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-21-2011, 11:53 PM
We can put up yards with the best of them. Just not points. Count how many times the Pats GB & Saints have topped 30 points, then count the same for us. Then do the same for every season Arians has been OC.
$$$
400+ yards...Genius BA probably thinks he had a great night. But 3 points isn't going to get it done in the NFL.

phillyesq
12-22-2011, 09:39 AM

Justin Smith is no castoff. The Bengals wanted to resign him, but the 49ers outbid them. Even the STeelers talked to his agent because our staff really respected his talent.

True. I should have been more careful with separating the FA signings from the castoffs.

Slapstick
12-22-2011, 02:31 PM
LeBeau was the HC in Cincy whe hey drafted Smith in the 1st round...

I would have gladly taken him on the Steelers...