PDA

View Full Version : Clock Management Before Halftime

Steelers>NFL
12-20-2011, 02:44 PM
What a mess that was... A veteran QB, and veteran coaches and they look like they never been in that position before. Certainly, "no huddle offense", is not a "hurryup offense" with the Steelers. Ben is not smart enough to run a "hurryup offense". He can not read defense on the fly...We've always knew that though.

SteelerNation1
12-20-2011, 02:54 PM
:roll: Yeah, Ben is terrible "on the fly." All those 4th Q comebacks and all.

Northern_Blitz
12-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Although it wasn't the difference in the game, that was terrible management of the clock. And then terrible play calling after we stopped it.

If we didn't think we were close enough for a FG, why not use the time out? If we run a similar play maybe we get out of bounds and stop the clock, or clock it.

SidSmythe
12-20-2011, 03:13 PM
It wasn't Ben's fault, that's on Arians!!

They subbed ...Hines Ward runs off the field, so someone had to run onto the field.

You don't sub, they should have spiked it!

skyhawk
12-20-2011, 03:16 PM
I had no problem with the management. They just didn't have enough time.

AND, if their FG kicker didn't suck that would have helped.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-20-2011, 03:21 PM

They subbed ...Hines Ward runs off the field, so someone had to run onto the field.

$$$

skyhawk
12-20-2011, 03:22 PM

$$$

Yeah, I did wonder why they didn't spike it. But, I thought they already had a play called so didn't need to.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-20-2011, 03:57 PM

Ya, when they mentioned on the TV that they were subbing a player I thought WTF??? Isn't this a hurry up offense? Don't you have a personnel grouping for more than one play? Can't you spike it and then huddle and sub?

feltdizz
12-20-2011, 04:11 PM

It was everyones fault. Why not call timeout with a gimpy Ben? Why sub? Why does it matter if we subbed? It takes just as much time to run up the new LOS as it does to sub a player...

and why did it take another 5 seconds to snap the ball after we were set?

They all were at fault. At the first sign of confusion Ben should have used the time out. He used it the other week when we didn't need to on that 4th down dry fake we try all the time.

Too many vets to pass the blame off on each other.

snarky
12-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Remember that game in 2008 against the ravens where Santonio caught the ball at the Goldmine at the end of the game to win? If you remember the sequence of place before that we call our last timeout at something Like one minute to go in the game. And if that hadn't been touchrown the clock would've run out. After that game Tomlin said something about you should've saved the timeout and since then it seems to me that he has been under the false impression that he can save time at the end of the game by saving a timeout that he could have used earlier in the two minute drill.

It really is my only complaint about the guy. There have been a number of cases over the years where he misuses timeouts or leaves them on the table at the end of the half.

Sorry about any typos I'm posting from my phone.

ter1230_4
12-20-2011, 04:50 PM
It really is my only complaint about the guy. There have been a number of cases over the years where he misuses timeouts or leaves them on the table at the end of the half.

$$$$
I've said this before, Tomlin's clock management is abysmal. The Steelers are constantly finishing the first half with an unused TO having run out of time to score. It was criminal that they weren't able to get a 40 yard FG attempt last night out of that drive.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-20-2011, 04:51 PM
to say that tomlin needs to improve on his in game management skills is the understatement of the year. Last night was just another example, including his challenge opportunities. I don't know who gives him that information, but ne makes some really curious decisions.

the 2 point attempt against jax in the playoffs remains the worst coaching decision that I have ever seen. Still just dumbfounds me to this day.

feltdizz
12-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Still mad about 2008? Wow

Eddie Spaghetti
12-20-2011, 06:19 PM
dumbfounded doesn't mean mad felt.

I'm still somewhat amazed by the decision, and always will be.

just never seen anything like it.

Starlifter
12-20-2011, 06:20 PM
the steelers seemed to be in denial that our QB couldn't hardly walk let alone run up and spike the ball. they were running the normal 2 minute offense. when everyone is healthy it's a pretty good setup. with what we had yesterday it was a disaster. I was screaming at the TV that if ben makes a 20 yard completion he won't be able to get up in time to spike the ball. it was astounding to me they appeared to totally disregard his inability to run. I thought his linemen were gonna have to pull a 'leftwich' on him to get him back to the LOS.

pittpete
12-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Wasnt the first time this year clock management has been disgratz
Does it really matter anyway, Suisham would've missed on 2 instead of just 1.

snarky
12-20-2011, 08:28 PM
the steelers seemed to be in denial that our QB couldn't hardly walk let alone run up and spike the ball. they were running the normal 2 minute offense. when everyone is healthy it's a pretty good setup. with what we had yesterday it was a disaster. I was screaming at the TV that if ben makes a 20 yard completion he won't be able to get up in time to spike the ball. it was astounding to me they appeared to totally disregard his inability to run. I thought his linemen were gonna have to pull a 'leftwich' on him to get him back to the LOS.

Right. They should have a plan b for spiking the ball let Ben stand way back and snap the ball to somebody else and let him spike it. I know there's an increased risk of fumbling. But you.cant tell me it is that hard to take a snap for one of our sure handed receivers.

steelblood
12-21-2011, 10:35 PM
Legursky was calling protections for 3-5 seconds. It was excruciating to watch.

NJ-STEELER
12-22-2011, 02:07 AM
the TO they had left was to be used to set up the FG.

however, no reason why they didnt clock it after the completion. it should not have taken that long nor should they have subbed players at that point

feltdizz
12-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Legursky was calling protections for 3-5 seconds. It was excruciating to watch.

that was the icing on the doo doo cake.

once we lined up it was still 5 seconds before we snapped it. What was the under on the half time score? LOL

AxnJxn
12-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Totally agree that the clock management there was horrendous, especially considering the big gains they had early in that possession. I was actually thinking TD instead of FG at one point. As if all that wasn't bad enough, on the last play they threw to AB well short of the end zone instead of putting it up for a Hail Mary.

Just really poor execution and strategy all around, which really shouldn't happen on a veteran team.

BURGH86STEEL
12-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Not sure who was in charge of the decision. The ball should had been spiked.

fordfixer
12-24-2011, 01:56 AM
Totally agree that the clock management there was horrendous, especially considering the big gains they had early in that possession. I was actually thinking TD instead of FG at one point. As if all that wasn't bad enough, on the last play they threw to AB well short of the end zone instead of putting it up for a Hail Mary.

Just really poor execution and strategy all around, which really shouldn't happen on a veteran team.
Welcome to the Planet :tt1

pittpete
12-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Remember this beauty from the Ravens game?

The Steelers appeared to be in control after rallying from a 10-point deficit to take a 20-16 lead with less than 5 minutes to go when Ben Roethlisberger hit Mike Wallace for a 25-yard score.

Pittsburgh’s defense held once and the Steelers moved in range for Shaun Suisham to attempt a 47-yard field goal that could have bumped its lead to seven.

Instead the Steelers wasted precious seconds deciding whether to kick or go for it, and when the flag was throw for delay of game the penalty moved Pittsburgh out of field goal range.

“I accept responsibility for that,’’ Tomlin said. “There was some hesitation on my part.’

frankthetank1
12-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Not sure who was in charge of the decision. The ball should had been spiked.

yes either spiked or use the final timeout. how can this be on arians haha? thats classic. do any OC's ever call timeouts? i doubt it. i put that on ben and tomlin mostly. what really did them in is not spiking the ball right away, calling a TO, or even if they got a play off really quick they would of been in good shape.
the offense was set for a while before the ball was snapped which killed a ton of time. thats not BA's fault

pittpete
12-24-2011, 10:51 PM
yes either spiked or use the final timeout. how can this be on arians haha? thats classic. do any OC's ever call timeouts?
No but the moron was running subs on to the field which took time also.