PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Prediction

Keyplay1
12-20-2011, 01:41 PM
For the past several weeks many Steeler fans have accepted the likely possibility that the Steelers would be the 5th seed and go to Denver in the wild card game. Me too, plus I liked the idea and thought it was a good matchup for the Steelers. But NO! Now I believe we will go to Kansas City. Yes, Kansas City will win the AFC West. Go ahead laugh. But, it's really quite simple. Here's how.

Denver must lose at Buffalo Saturday. And San Diego must lose either at Detroit Saturday or to Oakland week 17.

Now how far fetched is that? Did not Buffalo beat KC 41-0 week 1. Is not Detroit a pretty darn good homer team?

Oh, one other thing KC must win their remaining two games. Then their 8-8 record and 4-2 division record will be best.

Love this NFL. Here it is week 16 and all four teams in the AFC West can still win that division.

Keyplay1
12-21-2011, 04:27 AM
Hey! Doesn't anyone want to speculate on who the Steeler's will be playing if they end up as the 5th seed and do not win the division. Who would really want to go to San Diego right now or even to Oakland with the not such good luck the Steelers have had there in the past. Denver looks like the winner but that could change in an instant and of course the long shot Kansas City Chiefs that no one could even imagine being in the PO's a week ago are very much alive. I went out on a limb and came up with a scenario putting KC in as the winner. Since I really believe those other teams will choke. What does anyone else think will happen out there?

MeetJoeGreene
12-21-2011, 09:13 AM
I am still thinking that I would rather play Denver or Oakland.

San Diego could really scare me and KC..I don't really think is realistic.

pfelix73
12-21-2011, 12:56 PM
My prediction is for the Steelers to nail down the #2 seed in the final week of the season.

Baltimore suks on the road and will lose to Cincinnati thus giving the Division Title and the #2 seed to us, since we'll win our remaining 2 games....

#5 seed Baltimore will win their 1st playoff game along with the Jets, and the Jets will visit NE and we'll host Baltimore in round 2.

rematch of last year's AFC Champ. Game...

:tt1

RuthlessBurgher
12-21-2011, 01:43 PM
My prediction is for the Steelers to nail down the #2 seed in the final week of the season.

Baltimore suks on the road and will lose to Cincinnati thus giving the Division Title and the #2 seed to us, since we'll win our remaining 2 games....

#5 seed Baltimore will win their 1st playoff game along with the Jets, and the Jets will visit NE and we'll host Baltimore in round 2.

Even if Baltimore were to choke away the AFC North, we still wouldn't get the #2 seed and a bye unless Houston were to lose at Indy this Thursday or at home vs. the Titans on New Years Day. Houston also has the tiebreaker advantage over us, since we lost to them earlier this season.

Slapstick
12-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Even if Baltimore were to choke away the AFC North, we still wouldn't get the #2 seed and a bye unless Houston were to lose at Indy this Thursday or at home vs. the Titans on New Years Day. Houston also has the tiebreaker advantage over us, since we lost to them earlier this season.

If the Titans win this week, they are still alive and have reason to go balls out vs. the Texans...

I don't think the Texans #3 QB will hold up...

pfelix73
12-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Ditto. It was a given in my prediction that Houston will not win both of their remaining games. Sorry I didn't put that in there. With them starting a 3rd string QB, they might even lose Thursday to Indy. I see them finishing 10-6. Indy's 1 game winning streak lights them up here for another win....lol, we'll see...

RuthlessBurgher
12-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Ditto. It was a given in my prediction that Houston will not win both of their remaining games. Sorry I didn't put that in there. With them starting a 3rd string QB, they might even lose Thursday to Indy. I see them finishing 10-6. Indy's 1 game winning streak lights them up here for another win....lol, we'll see...

Yates is 2-1 as a starter, beating the 9-5 Falcons and 8-6 Bengals in the process (plus he beat the Jags as well...didn't start that game, but Leinart didn't last long before injuring his shoulder).

Keyplay1
12-22-2011, 08:28 AM
RuthlessBurgher said: "Even if Baltimore were to choke away the AFC North, we still wouldn't get the #2 seed and a bye unless Houston were to lose at Indy this Thursday or at home vs. the Titans on New Years Day. Houston also has the tiebreaker advantage over us, since we lost to them earlier this season."

The possibility of the 3rd seed raises some other interesting questions. What is the significance of these seeding anyhow? I remembered seeing a story about this by Pat Kirwan several years ago. I could not find the original article, but found this reference to it.

Monday, January 1st, 2007
PermalinkSizing up the fourth seeds
Posted by Mike Sando @ 05:54:49 pm

NFL.com's Pat Kirwan takes a look at which playoff seeds have produced the most Super Bowl teams over the last 16 seasons. The top two seeds have produced 26 of 32 entrants. Fourth seeds have produced four entrants, more than the third (1), fifth (0) and sixth (1) combined. Read the column here. Seattle is the fourth seed in the NFC this season.

I updated this info:

2007 NYG 5 NE 1
2008 PIT 2 AZ 4
2009 NO 1 IND 1
2010 GB 6 PIT 2

The top 2 seeds have produced 31 of 40 entrants
3rd seed 1----This was IND in 2006
4th seed 5
5th seed 1----This was NYG in 2007
6th seed 2----This should need no explanation to Steeler fans

I am not going to comment or draw any conclusions on this data at this time.

Oviedo
12-22-2011, 12:22 PM

It is truly sad we have to count on the Bumgals to do our dirty work for us, but I'm hoping they are up to it and take down the Ravens.

Keyplay1
12-22-2011, 03:12 PM

It is truly sad we have to count on the Bumgals to do our dirty work for us, but I'm hoping they are up to it and take down the Ravens.

---That certainly would be in the best interests of the Steelers. Considering only 1 3rd seed and only 1 5th seed have made it to the Super Bowl in the past 20 years. This is a very low percentage. But the good new is they both did win it.

Of course, I would prefer yours and most others #2 scenario, but I'm staying with my 75-1 and as ---MeetJoeGreene correctly said---unrealistic call that KC would win the AFC West. Go Buffalo Go!

Okay, so I don't believe it either. But it would make a real nice story.

SteelAbility
12-23-2011, 12:47 AM

Ok, Houston did their part. :lol: Now we want CIN to have a "win and in" going into week 17 and we may just steal the AFCN title. I could conceivably see NE dropping a game to surging MIA, but it's pretty doubtful.

Slapstick
12-23-2011, 12:59 AM
I just want a home playoff game...

I'd take a bye as well, but postseason games should be played at Heinz...

SteelAbility
12-23-2011, 09:48 AM
I just want a home playoff game...

I'd take a bye as well, but postseason games should be played at Heinz...

Then we either have to win the division or the 6-seed has to keep winning along with us.
:lol:

feltdizz
12-23-2011, 10:21 AM

Ok, Houston did their part. :lol: Now we want CIN to have a "win and in" going into week 17 and we may just steal the AFCN title. I could conceivably see NE dropping a game to surging MIA, but it's pretty doubtful.

Anything is possible as we witnessed last night. I like how every AFC team ahead of us has to play out the last 2 weeks.