PDA

View Full Version : Referees help 49rs win....

Sword
12-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Unsportsmanlike conduct for leaping in an attempt to block the kick...WTF

Fair catch interference..was his own player not Steeler...WTF

Not calling Pass interference on some calls. against 49rs...

Sword

snarky
12-20-2011, 10:47 AM
I don't think you can hang 17 points on the refs.

Ghost
12-20-2011, 10:49 AM
The Steelers (coaches and players) helped the 49's win a lot more than the refs.

RuthlessBurgher
12-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Sure the refs sucked, but any thought that it might have been the difference between winning and losing that game is akin to Seahawk fans thinking that the refs were the difference in a 21-10 SBXL loss.

phillyesq
12-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Sure the refs sucked, but any thought that it might have been the difference between winning and losing that game is akin to Seahawk fans thinking that the refs were the difference in a 21-10 SBXL loss.

:Agree

San Francisco is a good team. They whipped the Steelers.

There is no way you can hang this on the officials.

Eich
12-20-2011, 11:23 AM
The officials were awful and infuriating last night, as they often are these days.

But the Steelers were far more awful and infuriating.

It felt like we could play that game for 10 more quarters and still not score. It happens. Time to move on.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Ben's 4 turnovers lost the game. The refs horrible calls (running into returner when his own man did, the FG bullcrap, and the mystery chop block) were only the icing. Throw in the two power outages and that game was crap.

skyhawk
12-20-2011, 03:12 PM

Not so fast. If I were the 49ers, I wouldn't be too proud. The Steelers aren't a good team right now, and the 9ers haven't beaten a top tier team (the Giants??) all season.

Still, I loved their Defense last night, especially that tall pass rusher, what a good player. The Steelers turned the ball over 4 times and SF only got 20 points. But then again, if you spotted the Steelers 4 turnovers they would still have trouble scoring even that much. SO, the 9ers better not read their press this week too much and rest on their laurels.

fordfixer
12-21-2011, 03:09 AM

:Agree There were bad call on both teams

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-21-2011, 12:38 PM
The most obvious impact call was the receiver interference call. That would have given us the ball around their 30, instead they got it close to midfield.

The thing is that the Steelers did nothing all night to prove that they could have done anything with the ball had they kept it so while it may have been a big missed call, I would not say that it cost us the game.

The unsportsmanlike call on Timmons was a ticky tack call. However, supposedly Harbaugh had alerted the official on our previous FG block attempt that it was happening. I don't know but I think that I see this exact thing on almost every FG attempt, but again, not the wrong call according to the rulebook.

ikestops85
12-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Please let's not act like Seahawk fans. We got our arses handed to us and the officials didn't have anything to do with that. Bad calls happen ... some go our way and some go the other. We just need to deal with it.

Slapstick
12-23-2011, 12:55 AM
Please let's not act like Seahawk fans. We got our arses handed to us and the officials didn't have anything to do with that. Bad calls happen ... some go our way and some go the other. We just need to deal with it.

There is a difference...

There was only one bad call against the Seahawks in SB XL...

And it was after an INT an wouldn't have affected the change of possession...

SteelAbility
12-23-2011, 10:11 AM
This loss had everything to do with Ben being hobbled and the offense becoming predictable.

When teams generate offense, what is not visible to the eye is the fact that the D had to HEDGE because of having to account for multiple offensive options.

Scenario:

A receiver catches a pass over the middle and gashes for yards. But 0.2 seconds before that, a LBer made a shift because the QB was threatening to roll out. That slight shift opened the window for the pass to the streaking receiver. But now, your QB can't roll out so the LBer doesn't have to hedge or shift or anything. He can give all of his attention to defending one thing, not two things. That sweet pass to the streaking receiver is gone AND your QB is bigger risk for being sacked. See how that works?

Stop looking a the refs and even the Steelers. The balance of predictability with a hobbled QB becomes insane once his mobility is severely limited.

And, oh yeah, it also amplifies any weaknesses your OL has in blocking because your QB can't compensate for that with nifty footwork any more.

feltdizz
12-23-2011, 10:44 AM

There is a difference...

ehh...

I have no problem admitting refs screwed up a few calls in the Seahags game but I won't apologize for them.

It makes it much easier to point out bad calls when they go against your team if you are honest enough to admit your team benefited from a few bad calls as well.

I can't stand when a fan acts like bad calls never happen in their favor but as soon as they get a call against their team they scream bloody murder.

RuthlessBurgher
12-23-2011, 11:05 AM

There is a difference...

The call against Hasselbeck on Ike's INT return was crap, but it was only 10 or 15 yards added to the run back, certainly not the difference in a 21-10 game. The push-off against Darrell Jackson and the holding call on Haggans were legit penalties.

feltdizz
12-23-2011, 11:15 AM

There is a difference...

The call against Hasselbeck on Ike's INT return was crap, but it was only 10 or 15 yards added to the run back, certainly not the difference in a 21-10 game. The push-off against Darrell Jackson and the holding call on Haggans were legit penalties.

The push off was ticky tacky IMO. I loved that it was called but it was questionable IMO. If it was the other way around I think we would complain about that call.

RuthlessBurgher
12-23-2011, 11:29 AM

There is a difference...

The push off was ticky tacky IMO. I loved that it was called but it was questionable IMO. If it was the other way around I think we would complain about that call.

Extending your arm to extent that it shoves the defender away from you while also changing your own direction to catch the ball isn't ticky tack...it should be a penalty every time.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/718/1551/1600/super_bowl_pushoff1.jpg

SteelAbility
12-23-2011, 11:49 AM

There is a difference...

Extending your arm to extent that it shoves the defender away from you while also changing your own direction to catch the ball isn't ticky tack...it should be a penalty every time.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/718/1551/1600/super_bowl_pushoff1.jpg

Exactly. The definition of a foul is contact that CREATES advantage. Boxing out in basketball is not called because it is contact that MAINTAINS advantage. DJack's contact created advantage exactly as you described and was the correct call.