PDA

View Full Version : Ben Showed Us Last Night our Pass Protection.......

SidSmythe
12-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Ben showed us last night our pass protection is not as awful as we once thought.

Ben had to get rid of the ball early and he knew it.
The Niners weren't getting a lot of pressure on him and for most of the 1st 3 Quarters he remained on his feet.

It wasn't until we had to pass that Aldon Smith tee'd off on Max Starks b/c they were in obvious passing situations.
I'm not saying our O-Line is great or even close...but Ben sorta proved he's part of his own sack problem.

feltdizz
12-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Ben showed us last night our pass protection is not as awful as we once thought.

The Niners weren't getting a lot of pressure on him and for most of the 1st 3 Quarters he remained on his feet.

It wasn't until we had to pass that Aldon Smith tee'd off on Max Starks b/c they were in obvious passing situations.
I'm not saying our O-Line is great or even close...but Ben sorta proved he's part of his own sack problem.

The play Ben was injured on is a primary example.... out of the pocket, no one open and he tried to run against the grain instead of throwing it away.

This is who he is I just wish he would hold onto the ball... he is fumbling way too much on routine sacks this year.

pfelix73
12-20-2011, 10:34 AM
I agree with all of the above comments.. I thought that Essex had some nice pulls and blocks to spring Mendy on some running plays. He's a capable backup for us who can play 2 positions. It wasn't until obvious passing situations where we had some problems, but that is to be expected. Aldon Smith would look super in the black & gold. He's the guy I wished the Steelers would've tried to trade up to get...

:tt1

Oviedo
12-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Still need to dump both Kemo and Foster and get two legit NFL Guards not back-ups imitating starters. Colon coming back would be a bonus but that would also be a bad bet. His body is clearly breaking down.

Make the OL better and Ben doesn't get hurt like he did against Cleveland.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-20-2011, 12:23 PM
ramon foster is way down the list of this teams concerns.

you sound foolish when you say we should dump him.

still bitter that he beat out your pet urbik, I suppose.

pfelix73
12-20-2011, 12:42 PM
WTF- The OL didn't give Ben the bad ankle. That was Ben's fault for not throwing the ball away..

We need to go back to more man blocking schemes in the running game. When they did that last night they were successful. That Zone blocking crap that they do here and there is a joke.

phillyesq
12-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Still need to dump both Kemo and Foster and get two legit NFL Guards not back-ups imitating starters. Colon coming back would be a bonus but that would also be a bad bet. His body is clearly breaking down.

Foster is fine for depth, but the Steelers need at least one guard next year, if not two.

focosteeler
12-20-2011, 02:12 PM

Foster is fine for depth, but the Steelers need at least one guard next year, if not two.

I will be extemely dsappointed if the don't draft 2 lineman, and try and bring in a FA as well. Gotta protect ben and be able to run the ball better

skyhawk
12-20-2011, 03:21 PM

I must say you have a good point. Ben had alot of time last night. Even just standing there sometimes. But that's just not his game.

Ben was moving well in the 2nd half, and his pass pro broke down. The offensive line was completely dominated in the 3rd and fourth quarters though. Play calls also sucked when they wasted at least one running play for 0 or 1 yards.

pfelix73
12-20-2011, 07:06 PM

I will be extemely dsappointed if the don't draft 2 lineman, and try and bring in a FA as well. Gotta protect ben and be able to run the ball better

Well, I think you will be disappointed then. We have other needs greater than the OL. The OL is a young group of guys and will improve with time. ILB and Safety are bigger needs....

NJ-STEELER
12-20-2011, 07:12 PM

i'd take an LT too if there was one there.

and not just cause smith owned max (kid's a beast) but max has injury and age concerns. would like to groom a guy to follow him

skyhawk
12-20-2011, 07:13 PM

Well, I think you will be disappointed then. We have other needs greater than the OL. The OL is a young group of guys and will improve with time. ILB and Safety are bigger needs....

:lol:

pittpete
12-20-2011, 07:27 PM
We have other needs greater than the OL. The OL is a young group of guys and will improve with time

:wft :wft :wft :wft

skyhawk
12-20-2011, 07:50 PM
We have other needs greater than the OL. The OL is a young group of guys and will improve with time

:wft :wft :wft :wft

:Agree :wft :tt2

StarSpangledSteeler
12-20-2011, 08:37 PM
This is not as easy of an answer as some might expect. We absolutely need two quality OL in this year's draft, even if we do retain Starks. Our guards are very weak in pass blocking and run blocking. Pouncey, Gilbert, and Starks have saved our season. I would expect another early round OL this year.

But the bigger problem IMO is the pass play selection. I mean both B.A. and Ben. With weapons like Wallace and Brown, and outlets like Miller and Mendenhall, there is no reason we should not be lighting up the scoreboard. B.A. has got to start changing his plays to adapt to our weapons. Ben has got to take the smarter/safer choices.

pittpete
12-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Ba needs to stop his love affair with D. Johnson

focosteeler
12-20-2011, 08:42 PM

:Agree

i am tired of seeing him out there running routes when saunders is sitting on the sideline.

NorthCoast
12-20-2011, 08:44 PM
There were at least two plays i saw obvious bad vision by Mendenhall. He basically runs right into the mob that is stacked at the line and has no vision to make a cutback run that was open several times during the game. Sure, when the hole is right in front of him, he can hit it like a T Dorsett, but his periphereal vision on some runs is just terrible.

Steelhere10
12-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Ben showed last night that he makes HORRIBLE DECISION, Brown wide open on the crossing route ( that could be a td ) instead forcing a pass to Wallace/ Johnson in a crowd.
OR throwing to Mendy on a dump off when he had 2min to pass the ball , instead he throw a high ball to Heath in another crowd.
OR throwing the ball away instead of taking a sack/fumble on a gimpy ankle.
I'm sorry folks but quarter 1-3 Ben had plenty of time and forced bad throws.

NJ-STEELER
12-21-2011, 12:58 AM

:Agree

i am tired of seeing him out there running routes when saunders is sitting on the sideline.

defenses dont even bother covering him.

i dont blame them, where's he gonna go...if he even makes the catch

NJ-STEELER
12-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Ben showed last night that he makes HORRIBLE DECISION, Brown wide open on the crossing route ( that could be a td ) instead forcing a pass to Wallace/ Johnson in a crowd.
OR throwing to Mendy on a dump off when he had 2min to pass the ball , instead he throw a high ball to Heath in another crowd.
OR throwing the ball away instead of taking a sack/fumble on a gimpy ankle.
I'm sorry folks but quarter 1-3 Ben had plenty of time and forced bad throws.

i thought both were open.

miller got a hand on the latter
tougher throws for sure, but open. of course johnson failed to turn around in time on the 1st INT and it looked like the ball wizzed right in front of him