PDA

View Full Version : Wallace

feltdizz
12-20-2011, 09:51 AM
is fast.... but every pass isn't going to fall in the bread basket. Wallace needs to fight for the ball or grab the defender on under thrown passes.

frankthetank1
12-20-2011, 10:13 AM
is fast.... but every pass isn't going to fall in the bread basket. Wallace needs to fight for the ball or grab the defender on under thrown passes.

couldnt agree more. that pass in the endzone in the first half he was double covered but the pass was pretty good. he didnt even extend his arms or attempt to catch the ball. doubt he could of caught the ball but he did nothing to try to catch the pass other than running really fast down the field.

sometimes i forget that wallace has only been in the league for a few years. he will make the changes though. his first season he couldnt run routes all that well and would just run deep routes down the field. season 2 he showed a big difference in his route running.

JAR
12-20-2011, 10:23 AM
I've said the same thing several times. Even in the SB last year, he could have prevented that pick and he should have caught that pass near the end of the game, if he fights for the ball, the SB and last nights game may have different endings.

feltdizz
12-20-2011, 10:25 AM
I've said the same thing several times. Even in the SB last year, he could have prevented that pick and he should have caught that pass near the end of the game, if he fights for the ball, the SB and last nights game may have different endings.

he doesn't even have to catch it.. just prevent the other guy from catching it.

Sword
12-20-2011, 10:26 AM
I agree...I saw that to...you fight to get the ball..
go after it...don't wait for it to be all packaged up with a bow on it...

go after the dam ball....

sword

Mister Pittsburgh
12-20-2011, 10:38 AM
On the endzone interception yes, Wallace needs to man up and help his QB out......but Ben should of helped himself out and thrown to Brown WHO WAS WIDE OPEN.

RuthlessBurgher
12-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Meanwhile, Antonio Brown keeps making sick plays. The 1st down conversion on the pass thrown behind him was clutch. The catch on the sidelines, while correctly ruled incomplete because his hand did touch the white a fraction of a second before his 2nd foot touched green, was an insanely remarkable effort nonetheless.

Eich
12-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Not only does Wallace need to do a better job defending against an interception, but once and interception is made, he needs to do a better job going after the guy. On the interception in the end zone, Wallace came out jogging when the 49er was sprinting up field.

focosteeler
12-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Meanwhile, Antonio Brown keeps making sick plays. The 1st down conversion on the pass thrown behind him was clutch. The catch on the sidelines, while correctly ruled incomplete because his hand did touch the white a fraction of a second before his 2nd foot touched green, was an insanely remarkable effort nonetheless.

they shouldve given him the catch simply based off effort

Steveo
12-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Glad I'm not the only one, who thought this. Every game they seem to try at least one deep pass to Wallace, and to me half of them have looked catchable if he would just put forth some effort.

feltdizz
12-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Glad I'm not the only one, who thought this. Every game they seem to try at least one deep pass to Wallace, and to me half of them have looked catchable if he would just put forth some effort.

In Wallaces defense he is a speedster... but it's not like he has ever shown a hunger for the ball like a Steve Smith or Calvin Johnson.

While I would love to see him jump up like Swann and snatch balls out of the sky I would be OK if he just made sure the other team didn't get it or tried to draw some PI's.

skyhawk
12-20-2011, 03:24 PM

That was a great catch.

But the thread starter is correct, Wallace needs to be more physical.

PS. I think this is the main reason our offense is so inept at times. Wallace is not physical enough, and Brown and Miller have a difficult time getting open and creating space in the open field.

feltdizz
12-20-2011, 04:12 PM

That was a great catch.

But the thread starter is correct, Wallace needs to be more physical.

PS. I think this is the main reason our offense is so inept at times. Wallace is not physical enough, and Brown and Miller have a difficult time getting open and creating space in the open field.

disagree on Brown and Miller... I think part of the problem is a love with the deep ball.

jj28west
12-20-2011, 05:10 PM
When you look at the complete body of work I agree that he needs to attack the ball at the highest point and even comeback to box out the defender more physically for the ball. He has the potential to be a top 10 WR of all time and is already commanding double teams that helps Brown.

It seems Antonio naturally has this ability in his early career.

Sanders seems to also be weak in this part of his game.

What a great era we are witnessing in Steeler football with this WR group.

Need Wesle to be more of a factor in the redzone to give Ben that big target.

skyhawk
12-20-2011, 06:28 PM
When you look at the complete body of work I agree that he needs to attack the ball at the highest point and even comeback to box out the defender more physically for the ball. He has the potential to be a top 10 WR of all time and is already commanding double teams that helps Brown.

It seems Antonio naturally has this ability in his early career.

Sanders seems to also be weak in this part of his game.

What a great era we are witnessing in Steeler football with this WR group.

Need Wesle to be more of a factor in the redzone to give Ben that big target.]

Really? what has this group done? besides a big part of the 23rd ranked scored offense in the league?

NJ-STEELER
12-20-2011, 07:00 PM
this is one of the reason i keep saying our wideouts are not near the top units in the league.

have the potential to be the best we've seen since ben's been here, but its these little things they need to improve on.

and being dragged down by the back of your jersey isnt something a top 10 wideout in the league should happen to

jj28west
12-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Gents,

Maybe I am drinking the cool aid a bit but while we cant be an all world contender every year we can still appreciate the fact that Brown & Wallace can score on every given play and are fun to watch.

The WR weapons on offense remind me of the 90's with Thigpen, Mills, Johnson, Hastings, & Slash which are fun to watch.

skyhawk
12-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Gents,

Maybe I am drinking the cool aid a bit but while we cant be an all world contender every year we can still appreciate the fact that Brown & Wallace can score on every given play and are fun to watch.

The WR weapons on offense remind me of the 90's with Thigpen, Mills, Johnson, Hastings, & Slash which are fun to watch.

Those days WERE exciting! But it was NOD who made those guys!

pittpete
12-20-2011, 08:43 PM
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-one-trick-pony.htm

Chavezz
12-20-2011, 08:59 PM
I was going to make this same thread.

This is something I've noticed happening for the last 2 years. He doesn't seem to sell out to make the catch. He's almost looking for a perfect ball every time.

Sometime you gotta go make the play on a ball. Attack it! Not every ball is a floater over the left shoulder.

hawaiiansteel
12-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Where's Wallace?

Friday, December 23, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

What's happened to Mike Wallace?

The receiver who publicly set his 2011 goal as an NFL-record 2,000 yards, started quickly as if he were intent on reaching it. He began the season with three 100-yard games in a row and 377 total yards.

He had 730 yards in the first seven games, not one of them under 76 yards. In his past seven games, he has 370 yards, no more than 70 in any one game and including games of 17 and 38 yards.

He led the AFC in yards per catch each of his first two seasons -- 19.4 as a rookie and 21.0 last season. He was at 20.2 after seven games but is down to 16.4 because he has averaged only 11.9 yards per catch the past seven games.

Arians blamed dropped passes by Wallace and bad throws by the quarterback for his low output the past seven games.

"He's open. We've dropped some and we've missed him, every game. There's a 50-yard play in every game that we could have made that we made early in the season. We've missed those chunks; either they have gone off our fingertips or we've overthrown him.

"We had him wide open the other night to take the lead. That's one of the throws the foot actually worked on, and he overthrew him. But just keep throwing it deep, we'll hit him."

Where once Wallace seemed a cinch to break Yancey Thigpen's team record of 1,398 yards set in 1997, now that seems out of reach because he would need 299 yards in his final two games to do so.

Antonio Brown has picked up the slack. Since he got his first 100-yard game Oct. 23 in Arizona, Brown has been the most productive receiver. He has 722 yards in the past eight games on 42 receptions.

Brown's average is the same as Wallace's, 16.4 per catch. With 984 yards on 60 receptions, he has an outside chance to pass Wallace -- 67 catches, 1,100 yards -- to finish as the team leader.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11357/1198834-66-0.stm

Chadman
12-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Not every footballer is 'complete'.

Wallace is the spped guy. Time & maturity will lead to him being a better footballer, but for now- are we REALLY complaining about a guy that has topped 1000 recieving yards this early into the season?

He's the big play threat- not the go-to guy. That guy is fast becoming Antonio Brown. He's the clutch guy, the guy you bank on. He's the new generation Hines Ward.

Sanders is getting some negative reports from you guys because of injuries. For Chadman, he looks a great compliment WR. Cotchery is money with the ball in the air.

Hines can still produce.

The TE's are interesting- Heath is obviously top echelon, but Saunders could easily become a big threat around the RZ.

It's entirely possible that as fans, we expect too much from this group. It's not necessarily about how complete the 'individual' is, but how complete the 'group' is.

For Chadman, this group is pretty much rounded out to complete.

Chavezz
12-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Not every footballer is 'complete'.

Wallace is the spped guy. Time & maturity will lead to him being a better footballer, but for now- are we REALLY complaining about a guy that has topped 1000 recieving yards this early into the season?

He's the big play threat- not the go-to guy. That guy is fast becoming Antonio Brown. He's the clutch guy, the guy you bank on. He's the new generation Hines Ward.

Sanders is getting some negative reports from you guys because of injuries. For Chadman, he looks a great compliment WR. Cotchery is money with the ball in the air.

Hines can still produce.

The TE's are interesting- Heath is obviously top echelon, but Saunders could easily become a big threat around the RZ.

It's entirely possible that as fans, we expect too much from this group. It's not necessarily about how complete the 'individual' is, but how complete the 'group' is.

For Chadman, this group is pretty much rounded out to complete.

I agree with most everything you've said, except for one thing. If a player ever appears to not give 100% he's going to get slammed by fans. Especially a Steelers player. Wallace doesn't appear to always be giving 100% and that's just not acceptable.

I'm not asking this guy to be an Andre or Calvin Johnson when the balls in the air. He's never going to be that type of guy and that's ok. But he can be a Steve Smith who FIGHTS for the ball when it's in traffic, he can be a guy who attempts to come back for the ball when it's underthrown. Hell, Ced Wilson was good at coming back for those catches.

The other thing working against Wallace is that he's following Ward. Ward was a guy that killed himself for years doing these kind of things. We as fans now will hold every WR that wears the black and gold to that "Ward" standard. You lay it on the line for EVERY. SINGLE. PLAY.

Anything less may be ok for other teams, but not this one. I don't want Randy Moss dragging ass across my field.

feltdizz
12-24-2011, 12:19 PM
I don't think anyone is calling on Wallace to be Swann, Stallworth, Lipps and Rice rolled into one.

A WR has a responsibility to help the QB out when the pass isn't on point.

pittpete
12-24-2011, 01:51 PM
but for now- are we REALLY complaining about a guy that has topped 1000 recieving yards this early into the season?

Think its more like where has he been recently because he just hasnt produced.

hawaiiansteel
12-25-2011, 02:16 AM
Ed: Tale of 2 Half-Seasons for Mike Wallace

WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

The receiver who publicly set his 2011 goal as an NFL-record 2,000 yards, started the season as if he were intent on reaching it. He began the season with three straight 100-yard games and 377 total yards.

He had 730 yards in the first seven games, not one of them under 76 yards. In his past seven games, he has 370 yards, no more than 70 in any one game and including games of 17 and 38 yards.

He led the AFC in yards per catch in each of his first two seasons -- 19.4 as a rookie and 21.0 last season. He was at 20.2 after seven games but is now down to 16.4 because he's averaged only 11.9 yards per catch the past seven games.

Where once he seemed a cinch to break Yancey Thigpen's team record of 1,398 yards set in 1997, now that seems out of reach because he would need 299 yards in his final two games to do so.

Antonio Brown has picked up the slack. Since he got his first 100-yard game in Arizona Oct. 23, Brown has been the most productive receiver. He has 722 yards in the past eight games on 42 receptions.

Brown's average is the same as Wallace's, 16.4 per catch. With 984 yards on 60 receptions, he has an outside chance to pass Wallace -- 67 catches, 1,100 yards -- to finish as the team leader.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... ke-wallace (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114031-ed-tale-of-2-half-seasons-for-mike-wallace)

RuthlessBurgher
12-26-2011, 05:21 PM

WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

The receiver who publicly set his 2011 goal as an NFL-record 2,000 yards, started the season as if he were intent on reaching it. He began the season with three straight 100-yard games and 377 total yards.

He led the AFC in yards per catch in each of his first two seasons -- 19.4 as a rookie and 21.0 last season. He was at 20.2 after seven games but is now down to 16.4 because he's averaged only 11.9 yards per catch the past seven games.

Where once he seemed a cinch to break Yancey Thigpen's team record of 1,398 yards set in 1997, now that seems out of reach because he would need 299 yards in his final two games to do so.

Antonio Brown has picked up the slack. Since he got his first 100-yard game in Arizona Oct. 23, Brown has been the most productive receiver. He has 722 yards in the past eight games on 42 receptions.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... ke-wallace (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114031-ed-tale-of-2-half-seasons-for-mike-wallace)

Woodley has been crucified on this board for disappearing for half a season and being All-World for the other half of the season. Why does Wallace not get the same treatment?

fezziwig
12-26-2011, 05:24 PM
glad you guys mentioned this because i too believe wallace is kind of an up and down guy when it comes to having good hands or ball protection.

i hope he isn't using or near sweeds old locker

rpmpit
12-26-2011, 05:51 PM

WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Woodley has been crucified on this board for disappearing for half a season and being All-World for the other half of the season. Why does Wallace not get the same treatment?

Good point, rb. I'd say two reasons. One, a wr's play is directly affected by the qb's play. When a wr disappears, its very easy to just blame the qb (or in our case, the qb and the oc). And two, Antonio Brown. AB stepping up has made it easier to forget about MW - at least a little. With Harrison being out with injury and suspension, we've been looking at Woodley as "the guy" to get us sacks or at least pressure. When he doesn't deliver, there hasn't been anyone else to pick up the slack like Brown has done on offense. So his disappearance is amplified.