PDA

View Full Version : Ben will play and play well

BigRob
12-19-2011, 02:16 PM
I freaking love how confused everyone has been kept on Ben's playing status.

Peter King thinks there's no way he will play because "Someone who should know said "No way he plays'".

Dulac said he will play.

Lolley said he is moving around fine with no noticeable limp while walking around. Thinks he is sandbagging a bit.

Ha ha, freaking 49'ers have got to be confused as hell. They will load up to stop the run and Ben and Wallace will hit them with a huge down field completion.

WindyCitySteel
12-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Hope Lolley is right. This offense is all about Ben.

Oviedo
12-19-2011, 02:31 PM
All I know is no Ben = no win!!!!!

Defense and the running game need to be huge tonight especially the defense.

RuthlessBurgher
12-19-2011, 02:38 PM
No possible way he's sandbagging. His toes were literally pointing in the opposite direction when he was sacked. How he got away with no major tears or breaks (only a Grade I...the lowest grade...high ankle sprain) seems almost miraculous to me. No matter how much stretching you do beforehand, your leg should not be able to twist all the way around like that. I'd expect major joint damage even to an uber-flexible a yoga expert. And yet...he plays on...gotta love it.

SteelerNation1
12-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Ben is the man. I'd love to come out throwing, like they did vs. NE. Short, quick hitters to 83 and 84.

ROLROC
12-19-2011, 02:44 PM
^^^
THIS

Oviedo
12-19-2011, 03:03 PM
^^^
THIS

THIS THIS

I've always said that Ben using the TE more in a short to mid-range passing game is him at his very best. With Ben's limited mobility he needs to totally focus on 3 step drops and dumping the ball quick. Let the receivers earn the extra yards.

feltdizz
12-19-2011, 03:23 PM

that's not true but it's much easier to win with Ben at QB.

last year without Ben.. 3-1 and we were 1 minute from going 4-0.

Sugar
12-19-2011, 03:28 PM

that's not true but it's much easier to win with Ben at QB.

last year without Ben.. 3-1 and we were 1 minute from going 4-0.

There is a big difference in this case. We are playing a 10-win team without Pouncey and Harrison while Troy and Woodley are hobbled. If Ben is out of the equation, we are further handicapped against the top Run D in the league.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-19-2011, 03:28 PM
looks like ovi is getting his talking pojnts in early today.

saint lebeau better pitch a shut out tonight.

WindyCitySteel
12-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Schefter reporting that he's a true game time decision. Nothing certain yet.

Eich
12-19-2011, 04:56 PM
No possible way he's sandbagging. His toes were literally pointing in the opposite direction when he was sacked. How he got away with no major tears or breaks (only a Grade I...the lowest grade...high ankle sprain) seems almost miraculous to me. No matter how much stretching you do beforehand, your leg should not be able to twist all the way around like that. I'd expect major joint damage even to an uber-flexible a yoga expert. And yet...he plays on...gotta love it.

Completely agree. When it happened, I said he was done. Finshed for the season. It's broken.

Then he's on the field in the 2nd half!! WHAT?? ! Just amazing !!

This is the kind of thing Ben will be FOREVER remembered for. He's one tough SOB. That man is going to hurt later in life I think...

BigRob
12-19-2011, 04:57 PM

Add this one to the list. He will play. Too much on the line not to. A #1 seed in the playoffs is the best chance to return to the SB.

Eich
12-19-2011, 04:59 PM

Of course he is. It's all part of the mystique of the game tonight.

Is there anyone here that would bet against Ben playing tonight? It would be more shocking if Ben didn't play tonight than it was when he came out and played the 2nd half of the game against the Stains.

I could see Ben sharing some playing time tonight if he was really bothered. But if I had to bet $1,000, I would put it on Ben playing.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-19-2011, 05:19 PM
His foot got twisted on Heinz Field turf. We all know his foot just sunk down in the muck and turned no problem. Just a minor tweek a few advil fixed. :D

SteelCrazy
12-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Ben Roethlisberger active, in lineup

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is in the lineup for Monday night's game against the San Francisco 49ers despite a lingering ankle sprain.

Roethlisberger will wear a brace to stabilize his ankle.

Linebacker LaMarr Woodleyand center Doug Legursky will also start for Pittsburgh, while 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis and receiver Braylon Edwards are inactive.

On Sunday, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told ESPN that he was "optimistic" that Roethlisberger would play.

If the Steelers defeat the 49ers they will move to 11-3 on the season and hold a one-game lead in the AFC North over the Baltimore Ravens (10-4). They also would be in the lead for home-field advantage in the postseason due to their head-to-head victory earlier in the season over the New England Patriots.

Roethlisberger was limited Friday in his first practice since spraining his left ankle during a 14-3 win over Cleveland on Dec. 8. He practiced again Saturday, with guard Ramon Foster saying the quarterback showed little problems throwing the ball despite limited mobility.

"His ankle was better than it was last Thursday (when he injured it)," Tomlin told ESPN, adding that Roethlisberger "looked good" in Saturday's practice.

Roethlisberger last missed a start due to injury in 2009.

"Ben's competitive," Tomlin told ESPN. "Something like this stokes his fire. He loves a little adversity. But we won't be negligent. We'll see how it unfolds."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/73694 ... isco-49ers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7369452/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-active-set-start-san-francisco-49ers)

Steeler Shades
12-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Have to give the OP (BigRob) credit. He certainly called this one. 8)

DHSF
12-20-2011, 01:34 AM
I freaking love how confused everyone has been kept on Ben's playing status.

Peter King thinks there's no way he will play because "Someone who should know said "No way he plays'".

Dulac said he will play.

Lolley said he is moving around fine with no noticeable limp while walking around. Thinks he is sandbagging a bit.

Ha ha, freaking 49'ers have got to be confused as hell. They will load up to stop the run and Ben and Wallace will hit them with a huge down field completion.

You were right about Ben playing, but he had a horrible game. 4 TO's and all were on Ben. Kudos to Ben for having the guts to play, but I have to question whether he should have been out there. I realize that hind sight is 20/20, but Batch or Dixon would have put up better numbers tonight. We had 10 days to figure this one out and screwed the pooch big time. Was Ben really out best chance to win when he was clearly only playing at about 50%?

Steelers>NFL
12-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Too bad Ben did not read your post. Might have made a difference in his game...

MaxAMillion
12-20-2011, 09:35 AM
When you take away Ben's mobility, he loses a lot of effectiveness.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-20-2011, 09:46 AM

Then he should not have been playing. Isn't that why you have the backup?

frankthetank1
12-20-2011, 10:08 AM

this is why we need to get a real qb that can step in for ben if needed. batch was great for a number of years but at this point i would rather have ben playing on one foot than see batch or dixon in there

Ghost
12-20-2011, 10:29 AM

this is why we need to get a real qb that can step in for ben if needed. batch was great for a number of years but at this point i would rather have ben playing on one foot than see batch or dixon in there

That was my initial thought but, and I don't have an answer myself for this question - what if Batch had been named the starter immediately following the Browns game. You think he plays at least average with 10 days of hardcore practice? Obviously last week he came in rusty as hell and looked as if he hadn't thrown a pass ever. But does an intensive prep period make a difference?

feltdizz
12-20-2011, 10:32 AM

That was my initial thought but, and I don't have an answer myself for this question - what if Batch had been named the starter immediately following the Browns game. You think he plays at least average with 10 days of hardcore practice? Obviously last week he came in rusty as hell and looked as if he hadn't thrown a pass ever. But does an intensive prep period make a difference?

It definitely makes a difference. You can't have an old guy chilling on a cold sideline and then throw him in and expect instant offense.

Batch isn't great but he is decent and we would have changed our game plan to ball control and field position. It may have been a 6-3 game but it would have been better than seeing a one legged Ben with 4 TO's.

Shawn
12-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Try to throw with a bum leg and get back with me. Ben was gutsy, and I appreciate the fact that he tried to play. This was a Tomlin call.

feltdizz
12-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Try to throw with a bum leg and get back with me. Ben was gutsy, and I appreciate the fact that he tried to play. This was a Tomlin call.

No one is ignoring the leg but once Ben is in he is fair game to be criticized or praised. It's not like Ben couldn't make ANY of the throws.. he just chose to throw to guys who weren't open a few times.

I appreciate him playing but I didn't appreciate some of the throws that resulted in INT's.

Shawn
12-20-2011, 11:26 AM

No one is ignoring the leg but once Ben is in he is fair game to be criticized or praised. It's not like Ben couldn't make ANY of the throws.. he just chose to throw to guys who weren't open a few times.

I appreciate him playing but I didn't appreciate some of the throws that resulted in INT's.

Sure he is fair game, just saying the criticism is unwarranted. Tomlin asked him to play when he is probably playing at 50%. When you ask a player to be Super Man, and he is merely human, you get human results. :2c

BigRob
12-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Screwed the pooch on my playing well prediction ha ha. He should have been shut down and needs to be shutdown for the next two games.

We should all just be glad we are in the playoffs. We looked old, slow, and worn out last night.

feltdizz
12-20-2011, 01:17 PM

Sure he is fair game, just saying the criticism is unwarranted. Tomlin asked him to play when he is probably playing at 50%. When you ask a player to be Super Man, and he is merely human, you get human results. :2c

No one asked for Superman... #1 seed on the line, dink and dunk it.

Ben tried to throw through double coverage and that doesn't work even when healthy.

Shawn
12-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Dizz you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But, Ben is Ben. He will never dink and dunk it's just not in his DNA. He is a winner and will try to make things happen even when he is not physically able. Call it arrogance, call it stupidity, call it whatever you wish but it's tends to be a trait of "cowboy" QBs. Farve was the same way, and he is a first ballot HOFr.

I take the good with the bad when dealing with Ben. Considering Ben is a top 5 QB in the league, you wont be seeing me complain anytime soon.

feltdizz
12-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Dizz you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But, Ben is Ben. He will never dink and dunk it's just not in his DNA. He is a winner and will try to make things happen even when he is not physically able. Call it arrogance, call it stupidity, call it whatever you wish but it's tends to be a trait of "cowboy" QBs. Farve was the same way, and he is a first ballot HOFr.

I take the good with the bad when dealing with Ben. Considering Ben is a top 5 QB in the league, you wont be seeing me complain anytime soon.

If we had Ben, Marino, Bradshaw and Montana all wrapped up in one QB I would still complain after an INT into double coverage.

It's what I do :D

Shawn
12-20-2011, 04:03 PM

If we had Ben, Marino, Bradshaw and Montana all wrapped up in one QB I would still complain after an INT into double coverage.

It's what I do :D

:lol:

Hey at least your honest about it. :D

hawaiiansteel
12-21-2011, 02:13 AM
Steelers coach is defending Big Ben decision

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, December 21, 2011

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1382428/39398338E.jpg

Ben Roethlisberger didn't leave Monday night's game late in the fourth quarter with the outcome decided because, well, he didn't want to.

With the Steelers trailing San Francisco by three scores, Roethlisberger refused to exit the game despite being limited with a high-ankle sprain sustained Dec. 8.

"When Coach tried to get me out, I said, 'No, I'm not putting you in that situation, and I'm not quitting on our guys," Roethlisberger said. "I started this thing. I'm going to finish it."

Roethlisberger played the final two series, passing nine times and getting sacked twice, as the Steelers wasted an opportunity to take over the top spot in the AFC with a 20-3 loss to the 49ers.

Roethlisberger threw for 330 yards but failed to lead his team into the end zone for the first time in the past 28 games he started.

At his weekly news conference Tuesday, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin defended Roethlisberger's refusal to leave the game and his allowing Roethlisberger to dictate as much.

"He is a competitor, and I am not going to deny those guys those opportunities," Tomlin said. "His teammates definitely have an appreciation for that."

Tomlin said at no point did he seriously consider pulling Roethlisberger. Charlie Batch began warming up with about six minutes remaining in the game.

Tomlin has been in the same situation before with Roethlisberger, as has former coach Bill Cowher.

During Week 1 against Baltimore this year, Roethlisberger did not come out of a game the Steelers were losing 35-7. In 2006, with Cowher as coach, Roethlisberger stayed in the entire game despite trailing the Ravens, 27-0, with four minutes left. Roethlisberger was healthy in both of those games.

However, just three weeks ago, Roethlisberger sat the final 10 minutes against the Cincinnati Bengals with the Steelers leading, 35-7. He broke a thumb earlier in the game.

"I know what kind of competitor he is," Tomlin said. "I wanted to support him in that."

It is unknown whether Roethlisberger will play against St. Louis on Saturday, but he said he will leave the decision up to Tomlin.

"I always want to play," Roethlisberger said. "I want to be there and give my guys everything I have. I'll go out and play at 5 percent, I don't care. I told coach that. I said, 'It is your call. You make the call. You are the head coach.' "

Tomlin said he will use the week to evaluate Roethlisberger's high-ankle sprain before making a decision.

"He felt sore, of course, but he was no worse for the wear, as far as I could tell," Tomlin said. "We made the decision to give that guy an opportunity, and we don't second-guess it regardless of the outcome."

TOMLIN DENIES KNOWLEDGE OF BEN ANKLE TREATMENT

Tomlin said he did not know what treatment Roethlisberger received to his injured ankle before Monday night's game against San Francisco, including whether his franchise quarterback received a pain-killing injection.

"I don't know the specifics of what kind of medical treatment that he got," Tomlin said Tuesday.

After the game, Roethlisberger scoffed at ESPN analyst Steve Young's notion that Roethlisberger used an injection to help him play.

"There was no injection," Roethlisberger said. "There was two Tylenols and two Advils."

Said trainer John Norwig, "He played without needles."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1h8warnxk (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_772951.html#ixzz1h8warnxk)