PDA

View Full Version : How did everyone like Santonio's celebration?

WindyCitySteel
12-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Down 28-3, 7 of which were handed to Philly by his fumble, Santonio launches into a pre-planned end zone celebration after scoring to bring the Jets to within 18 points. 15 yards, unsportsmanlike.

That's how you be great!

Glad that 8-ball isn't a Steeler any longer.

feltdizz
12-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Rule #4081:

NEVER, EVER, EVER celebrate when down big...

BradshawsHairdresser
12-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Down 28-3, 7 of which were handed to Philly by his fumble, Santonio launches into a pre-planned end zone celebration after scoring to bring the Jets to within 18 points. 15 yards, unsportsmanlike.

That's how you be great!

:Agree

Steelgal
12-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Tone could be one of the best receivers in the league, if he'd mature and grow up. He's got the ability to really be a top-tier guy. It's a shame his brain/actions get in the way of it.

Leper Friend
12-19-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm glad he's gone and I'll take the WRs we have any day over him.

That being said , as a fan , I'm forever grateful for his 2008 playoff run. We don't have #6 without him.

RuthlessBurgher
12-19-2011, 11:12 AM

That's how you be great!

Not only the fumble, but the Iggles also got an INT that went right through his hands as well. It's mind-boggling how someone could taunt the other team while getting his @$$ handed to him (and his own mistakes were a big reason why they were down big in the first place!).

pittpete
12-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Tis the reason he is no longer a Steeler.

Oviedo
12-19-2011, 11:28 AM
I said Stupidio wouldn't be missed and we don't miss the moron. We have a better WR group without him and his bonehead antics. Glad the Jets have him and they can keep him.

Anyone wanna bet he gets popped this off season for dope???????

papillon
12-19-2011, 11:37 AM

That's how you be great!

Isn't the 8-ball the winning ball in a game of eight-ball? Just sayin... :P :tt2

Pappy

phillyesq
12-19-2011, 11:51 AM

That being said , as a fan , I'm forever grateful for his 2008 playoff run. We don't have #6 without him.

Probably true, but like Plaxico, I'm very glad that I don't need to root for Santonio anymore. He always rubbed me the wrong way when he was with the Steelers.

What worries me is that I see Antonio Brown doing a lot of the same asinine nonsense as Santonio, and I fear that he'll be a Jet within a few years.

A real celebration is fine, but I can't stand it when guys feel the need to run out and posture for the camera after every play. The individual attention grabs that a lot of these guys do really take away from the enjoyment of the game for me. I loved the monologue from Bob Costas on this a week or so ago. Couldn't agree with him more.

papillon
12-19-2011, 11:55 AM

Probably true, but like Plaxico, I'm very glad that I don't need to root for Santonio anymore. He always rubbed me the wrong way when he was with the Steelers.

What worries me is that I see Antonio Brown doing a lot of the same asinine nonsense as Santonio, and I fear that he'll be a Jet within a few years.

A real celebration is fine, but I can't stand it when guys feel the need to run out and posture for the camera after every play. The individual attention grabs that a lot of these guys do really take away from the enjoyment of the game for me. I loved the monologue from Bob Costas on this a week or so ago. Couldn't agree with him more.

I couldn't agree with you more. Not only do I dislike the attention grab, Antonio's isn't even original, he is copying Santonio's point and drop the ball.

Pappy

WindyCitySteel
12-19-2011, 11:59 AM

That's how you be great!

Isn't the 8-ball the winning ball in a game of eight-ball? Just sayin... :P :tt2

Pappy

Not if you sink it too early.

:Cheers

feltdizz
12-19-2011, 12:04 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. Not only do I dislike the attention grab, Antonio's isn't even original, he is copying Santonio's point and drop the ball.

Pappy

Brown will be a Jet because he does a 1st down point with the football?

Pointing after 1st downs and flexing his muscles didn't get Santonio traded for biscuits..

papillon
12-19-2011, 12:12 PM

Pappy

Pointing after 1st downs and flexing his muscles didn't get Santonio traded for biscuits..

I don't think he'll be a Jet; I just don't like the posturing after every decent play or first down. Accept congratulations from your teammates and get back to the huddle. Can't anyone simply go about their business as a professional and do their job?

Get to the sideline and whoop it up, flex, drop and point, do cartwheels if you like, but while you're on the field be a professional and just do your job until your job is done. I'm old fashioned I guess.

Pappy

papillon
12-19-2011, 12:16 PM

That's how you be great!

Pappy

Not if you sink it too early.

:Cheers

Okay, so Santonio is the premature 8-ball sinking? In other words, the "bad" 8-ball as opposed to the winning the game "good" 8-ball. :P :Cheers

Pappy

feltdizz
12-19-2011, 12:26 PM

Pappy

I don't think he'll be a Jet; I just don't like the posturing after every decent play or first down. Accept congratulations from your teammates and get back to the huddle. Can't anyone simply go about their business as a professional and do their job?

Get to the sideline and whoop it up, flex, drop and point, do cartwheels if you like, but while you're on the field be a professional and just do your job until your job is done. I'm old fashioned I guess.

Pappy

how old fashion are you? :D

Nothing wrong with it if it doesn't cost your team points or yards. It's football... a game. How professional can a guy be given his surroundings at a football stadium?

You have a stadium filled with crazed fans, most of them drunk or feeling good, cheerleaders (except us), a guy or multiple guys dressed up in furry mascot attire walking around the stadium...

What exactly is the job requirement for these guys again? :wink:

papillon
12-19-2011, 12:41 PM

Nothing wrong with it if it doesn't cost your team points or yards. It's football... a game. How professional can a guy be given his surroundings at a football stadium?

You have a stadium filled with crazed fans, most of them drunk or feeling good, cheerleaders (except us), a guy or multiple guys dressed up in furry mascot attire walking around the stadium...

I'm very old fashioned I guess; I don't mind celebrations, but shouldn't you have done something of note first? A first down? Really? That isn't noteworthy, unless, it clinches a playoff game or Super Bowl, then celebrate away. But, in game two of the season, you pick up a first down on an 8-yard hitch and you feel you have to run away from the crowd, stand there and point for a first down with the ball and then drop it? Really?

That's a play that should be made many times throughout the season, it's not a once a year play. Score a touchdown, go ahead, celebrate, but don't cost your team yards doing it. I don't get the whole "look at me and what I did" shtick, like I said, I'm old fashioned and evidently, even more so than I thought. :P

Pappy

feltdizz
12-19-2011, 01:12 PM

I'm very old fashioned I guess; I don't mind celebrations, but shouldn't you have done something of note first? A first down? Really? That isn't noteworthy, unless, it clinches a playoff game or Super Bowl, then celebrate away. But, in game two of the season, you pick up a first down on an 8-yard hitch and you feel you have to run away from the crowd, stand there and point for a first down with the ball and then drop it? Really?

That's a play that should be made many times throughout the season, it's not a once a year play. Score a touchdown, go ahead, celebrate, but don't cost your team yards doing it. I don't get the whole "look at me and what I did" shtick, like I said, I'm old fashioned and evidently, even more so than I thought. :P

Pappy

yeah, your old fashioned... I love the celebrations within the game that don't cost us yards or points.

It gets the crowd and our team hype and/or shuts an opposing crowd up.

"It's a look at my and what I did" league and there is too much money in endorsments for guys to run back to the huddle like professionals.

RuthlessBurgher
12-19-2011, 01:19 PM
A first down? Really? That isn't noteworthy, unless, it clinches a playoff game or Super Bowl, then celebrate away.

The Cowher "Boom!!!" first down signal that clinched SBXL was classic.

WindyCitySteel
12-19-2011, 01:20 PM

Pappy

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

You are the wind beneath my wings.

Eich
12-19-2011, 01:49 PM
I don't mind some celebration when it's for something special. But some players take it to a ridiculous level. I've often seen TD's where the player is so caught up in what he's going to do that he completely ignores his own teammates who are trying to celebrate with him. It's difficult to look more selfish than that.

Brown doing his little show after first downs isn't a huge deal but it is annoying. And I can tell it irritates Ben when he's trying to keep a tempo going in the no-huddle.

Santonio's celebration yesterday is absurd to the point where you think he must've been high to do it. How do you celebrate anything when you're losing BIG ? It is possible to look more stupid and selfish than that?

The me-first attitude is something I always disliked about Holmes. And while celebrations alone won't get you kicked off the Steelers and headed for the Jets, it's that kind of attitude that can get you into other trouble that can get you kicked off the Steelers.

feltdizz
12-19-2011, 03:30 PM
I don't mind some celebration when it's for something special. But some players take it to a ridiculous level. I've often seen TD's where the player is so caught up in what he's going to do that he completely ignores his own teammates who are trying to celebrate with him. It's difficult to look more selfish than that.

Brown doing his little show after first downs isn't a huge deal but it is annoying. And I can tell it irritates Ben when he's trying to keep a tempo going in the no-huddle.

Santonio's celebration yesterday is absurd to the point where you think he must've been high to do it. How do you celebrate anything when you're losing BIG ? It is possible to look more stupid and selfish than that?

The me-first attitude is something I always disliked about Holmes. And while celebrations alone won't get you kicked off the Steelers and headed for the Jets, it's that kind of attitude that can get you into other trouble that can get you kicked off the Steelers.

Team celebrations are the easiest way to get a flag. Let the guy do his dance, tribute, etc...

Not sure Ben minds it too much since Brown is his go to guy :wink:

Brown isn't running laps before he points the ball, it's a 2 second move and it takes the rest of the team much longer then that to get up to the LOS.

I don't think a celebration or 1st down point can lead to something more.... Browns dances before getting in the end zone were selfish but as long as it's in the flow of the game I have no problem with it.

I hope to see 8 to 10 football points by AB tonight.. it means we are moving the chains :tt2

feltdizz
12-19-2011, 03:31 PM

Pappy

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

You are the wind beneath my wings.

That sounds so #22... I hope you are a chick. :D

Sugar
12-19-2011, 03:45 PM
I have no problem with celebrating good plays whether they are a TD or not. As long as they don't take away from the game or get us penalized, it's cool with me.

As for Holmes, perhaps his team being down is why he was so over the top? First, it has to feel good to finally get something right after an afternoon of frustration. Besides that, maybe it was just his way of trying to pump himself and his guys up for the rest of the game.

Slapstick
12-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Not that anybody asked...

As long as the celebration does not cost the team a penalty or does not come in garbage time when your team is losing, I really have no strong feelings one way or the other...

I do understand it, however...

If your dream for your entire life was to play in the NFL, then making a first down is a big deal...especially for younger players...

It's a game of emotion and in most cases, I prefer to see players who are into it rather than automatons....

papillon
12-19-2011, 03:50 PM

Pappy

yeah, your old fashioned... I love the celebrations within the game that don't cost us yards or points.

It gets the crowd and our team hype and/or shuts an opposing crowd up.

"It's a look at my and what I did" league and there is too much money in endorsments for guys to run back to the huddle like professionals.

It's a generational thing; the younger generation believes they've done something, when, in actuality, they haven't done anything, but on the off chance that they did, they believe they should celebrate and that way they don't miss an opportunity to grand stand, just my opinion.

I've learned to tolerate it, but I don't like it.

If you want endorsements for the way you play football all you have to do is play football, make plays and keep you nose clean and the money will follow. You don't have to advertise every time you do something of little importance. Make a Santonio catch, a James Harrison big play, a Troy Polamalu pick to seal a playoff win, a Hines Ward touchdown catch to put a Super Bowl almost out of reach and the money will find you.

I don't have a problem with a player receiving congratulations form his teammates for a nice play and encourage that; it's the individual displays that are annoying as if the catch, the pass, or the run was accomplished alone and without the help of others. It should annoy the other players as well.

Pappy

feltdizz
12-19-2011, 04:08 PM
That's not true Pap...

Guys who do their job without the flare get zero recognition off the field.

Do you think Keisel is getting recognized for his on field play? The beard has made him into an icon. Would Troy be as popular without the hair? It's all about separating yourself from the crowd. Hines didn't get any commercial's until he won a dancing show.

You don't get endorsements for being a hard worker who quietly goes back to the huddle. You get endorsements when you stand out from the team as an individual.

I'm a 70's baby and I grew up watching some of the most entertaining TD celebrations I've ever seen in the 80's.

The NFL became the #1 sport due to celebrations and showboating and the reason they will lose that spot is due to cracking down on having fun while playing a game.

RuthlessBurgher
12-19-2011, 04:39 PM
That sounds so #22...

:?: That sounds so Duce Stal...oh...never mind. :wink:

Eich
12-19-2011, 04:51 PM
I have no problem with celebrating good plays whether they are a TD or not. As long as they don't take away from the game or get us penalized, it's cool with me.

As for Holmes, perhaps his team being down is why he was so over the top? First, it has to feel good to finally get something right after an afternoon of frustration. Besides that, maybe it was just his way of trying to pump himself and his guys up for the rest of the game.

You're giving Holmes WAY too much credit. He's there to show himself off more than anything.

Sugar
12-19-2011, 05:07 PM

You're giving Holmes WAY too much credit. He's there to show himself off more than anything.

And you know this...?

papillon
12-19-2011, 05:18 PM
That's not true Pap...

Do you think Keisel is getting recognized for his on field play? The beard has made him into an icon. Would Troy be as popular without the hair? It's all about separating yourself from the crowd. Hines didn't get any commercial's until he won a dancing show.

You don't get endorsements for being a hard worker who quietly goes back to the huddle. You get endorsements when you stand out from the team as an individual.

I'm a 70's baby and I grew up watching some of the most entertaining TD celebrations I've ever seen in the 80's.

The NFL became the #1 sport due to celebrations and showboating and the reason they will lose that spot is due to cracking down on having fun while playing a game.

The NFL became the number one sport because the regular season (and every game in it) means something and the end of year tournament is a one and done high emotion, you can't afford to make a mistake or your season could end suddenly competition.

The celebrations had little or nothing to do with the rise in popularity of the game. It was on the rise steadily from the 70s to the current day and as long as each game is played with a high emotional adrenaline pumping pace it will stay popular. When it becomes baseball, hockey or basketball it will lose popularity.

Their seasons are interminably long and it's normal for star players to take nights off (even when they're on the floor, ice or field), because of the length of the regular season and losing a game or two isn't damaging. You lose two games in a football season that's 1/8 of the season, 20 losses in baseball, 10 losses in basketball and hockey, as a team you can't afford to do that. And, because of that, each game has an emotional level that only the playoffs in other sports can produce.

Pappy

feltdizz
12-19-2011, 05:30 PM
That's not true Pap...

The NFL became the number one sport because the regular season (and every game in it) means something and the end of year tournament is a one and done high emotion, you can't afford to make a mistake or your season could end suddenly competition.

The celebrations had little or nothing to do with the rise in popularity of the game. It was on the rise steadily from the 70s to the current day and as long as each game is played with a high emotional adrenaline pumping pace it will stay popular. When it becomes baseball, hockey or basketball it will lose popularity.

Their seasons are interminably long and it's normal for star players to take nights off (even when they're on the floor, ice or field), because of the length of the regular season and losing a game or two isn't damaging. You lose two games in a football season that's 1/8 of the season, 20 losses in baseball, 10 losses in basketball and hockey, as a team you can't afford to do that. And, because of that, each game has an emotional level that only the playoffs in other sports can produce.

Pappy

That's all true... but if you don't think those back flips by the WR's and team high fives in the end zone didn't help make this league what it is then we agree to disagree. I remember vividly watching those crazy moves and celebrations and they had NFL films dedicated to them...

Being stiff and professional didn't make this game.

pittpete
12-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Nothing wrong with signalling a first down in my book.
Trash talking and non excessive celebrating is part of the game.
Should the Lambeau leap be penalized?
It still is a game :stirpot

NJ-STEELER
12-19-2011, 06:22 PM
. We don't have #6 without him.

true

and possibly #7 last year if we kept him. that last drive was a clusterfluck

fezziwig
12-19-2011, 06:31 PM
To me it seems the great ones never had to go into their dance routine and all the hoop la.

Did Singletery, Jerry Rice, Jack Lambert and other great players need to do that kind of stuff ? They made their impression by being winners and acting like they expect to do their job well.

During the course of the plays these guys are athletes to me but after the play they act like idiots when they do their look at me stuff.

As for the fans cheering or wearing their wild clothing that's up to them, they paid to get into the game, the game is for them and the game would not survive without fans. Would you guys rather the fans not speak a word during the game ?

grateful for Santonio getting us a Super Bowl win but I don't miss him at all. And I was a huge Santonio fan when the drafted him.

WindyCitySteel
12-19-2011, 08:44 PM
That's all true... but if you don't think those back flips by the WR's and team high fives in the end zone didn't help make this league what it is then we agree to disagree.

Yeah, I remember a generation of new fans citing the celebrations after "The Catch" by Dwight Clark and "The Drive" by John Elway as what made them fall in love with the game.

:roll:

Discipline of Steel
12-19-2011, 09:35 PM

Pappy

It got him traded for a certain 6th round pick i wouldnt exactly call biscuits. In fact, it was his so-called protege.

papillon
12-20-2011, 12:12 AM
That's not true Pap...

Pappy

That's all true... but if you don't think those back flips by the WR's and team high fives in the end zone didn't help make this league what it is then we agree to disagree. I remember vividly watching those crazy moves and celebrations and they had NFL films dedicated to them...

Being stiff and professional didn't make this game.

The NFL is/has taken all the celebrations away and the game is as popular as ever. So, I'll stay on the side that the celebrations had little or nothing to do with it and we'll agree to disagree.

Pappy