PDA

View Full Version : The "Near Loss" @ KC Doesn't Look So Bad Now, Does It?

Slapstick
12-19-2011, 07:21 AM
That team can play some defense...

And, finally, someone called offensive PI on the Packers! At last!!

It's a Christmas miracle!

WindyCitySteel
12-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Compared to yesterday, no. Compared to how KC has played much of the year, yeah. Frankly, we looked about the same against Cleveland last week. Thankfully we don't play any bottom feeders in the playoffs, because this team is somewhat immature and doesn't get up for every game.

feltdizz
12-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Compared to yesterday, no. Compared to how KC has played much of the year, yeah. Frankly, we looked about the same against Cleveland last week. Thankfully we don't play any bottom feeders in the playoffs, because this team is somewhat immature and doesn't get up for every game.

I think we tend to forget teams "get up" to play us.

WindyCitySteel
12-19-2011, 09:45 AM

They get up to play Green Bay, New Orleans, and New England, too, and they have no trouble putting up 30 points routinely.

Our offense just isn't very good and we're going to have to find a way, once again, to work around it and hope Ben makes enough plays to advance.

feltdizz
12-19-2011, 10:09 AM

They get up to play Green Bay, New Orleans, and New England, too, and they have no trouble putting up 30 points routinely.

Our offense just isn't very good and we're going to have to find a way, once again, to work around it and hope Ben makes enough plays to advance.

GB just scored 14 points vs KC... that looks like trouble.

WindyCitySteel
12-19-2011, 12:02 PM

GB just scored 14 points vs KC... that looks like trouble.

First loss in a year. They get a pass for one bad performance.

feltdizz
12-19-2011, 12:06 PM
OK, but that one bad performance was against the same team we had problems putting up points on.

Maybe KC has a better D then we thought?

pick6
12-19-2011, 12:06 PM

What you say is true but I would say that our offense is a very good offense we just dont have a killer instinct which leads to inconsistent play at times.

KC has an awesome secondary at least for that game. The new Golden Boy had no one to throw to. I still think we played bad against them.

pittpete
12-19-2011, 12:10 PM

Good point, but we turned the ball over 3x vs the Browns and 2x vs. the Chiefs.

steelblood
12-19-2011, 12:13 PM
10-3 and the complaint is that we don't win by enough points. Steeler fans have to be the most spoiled fans in sports.

pittpete
12-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Spoiled or just expect greatness?

feltdizz
12-19-2011, 12:16 PM

The other guys get paid too... I could see if it was muffed punts or bad hand off exchanges but sometimes the other team makes plays.

I think we play down some games but I think being a Steeler fan we tend to forget how the rest of the league views us. We are the SB for a lot of these teams... "unfortunately" we don't play every game like it's the SB or maybe it's fortunate if you look at last years SB.

WindyCitySteel
12-19-2011, 12:19 PM
10-3 and the complaint is that we don't win by enough points. Steeler fans have to be the most spoiled fans in sports.

No, the complaint is that our offense is too inconsistent.

How can anyone argue that?

Slapstick
12-19-2011, 12:26 PM
The complaint is that Steeler fans are spoiled...

How can anyone argue with that?

phillyesq
12-19-2011, 12:31 PM

The other guys get paid too... I could see if it was muffed punts or bad hand off exchanges but sometimes the other team makes plays.

I think we play down some games but I think being a Steeler fan we tend to forget how the rest of the league views us. We are the SB for a lot of these teams... "unfortunately" we don't play every game like it's the SB or maybe it's fortunate if you look at last years SB.

Good point Feltdizz. To this, I'll add that the Chiefs were at home yesterday, as they were when the played the Steelers. Add to that, the Steelers were coming off a bye, and the Chiefs were getting up for what was likely their only primetime game of the year.

It was an ugly win, but an ugly win is certainly better than an ugly loss.

KC is going to be an interesting team next year. They lost their best offensive and defensive players, their QB and their TE.

feltdizz
12-19-2011, 12:31 PM

Steeler fans have a hard time accepting reality... we aren't consistent at scoring points but we are consistent at winning.

What's more important?

D Rock
12-19-2011, 12:38 PM
10-3 with all of their losses to teams with 10 wins already.

You guys can be pretty ridiculous sometimes. A win is a win in the NFL.

WindyCitySteel
12-19-2011, 01:24 PM

Steeler fans have a hard time accepting reality... we aren't consistent at scoring points but we are consistent at winning.

What's more important?

I can buy that. What I can't buy is that we somehow have this "great offense" that routinely gets thwarted game after game, year after year, because "the other guys get paid" or "they really get up for us".

We win with a stinky offense.

I hope we play enough flawed teams in the playoffs to make it all the way through again. Green Bay was the most complete playoff team last year that we've faced in any SB run, and they smoked us.

Slapstick
12-19-2011, 01:40 PM
I hope we play enough flawed teams in the playoffs to make it all the way through again. Green Bay was the most complete playoff team last year that we've faced in any SB run, and they smoked us.

Smoked us? They won by 6 and the difference in the game was a pick 6...

In the SB, the Steelers' O had three TOs and still outscored the GB offense...

WindyCitySteel
12-19-2011, 01:50 PM

Smoked us? They won by 6 and the difference in the game was a pick 6...

In the SB, the Steelers' O had three TOs and still outscored the GB offense...

If not for some drops and injuries during the game, they win by three scores. Those turnovers were about as forced as you can get, too. They hit Ben when he threw and hit Mendenhall just after he took the handoff.

I fear the Saints would do similar to us if we met them in Indy. Hoping for Dallas or NYG to make a miracle run...much more favorable matchup.

Sadly, I think our offensive woes are mostly coaching. The OL is who it is, and the OC asks it to be something it cannot be. We saw in the NE game that we can come up with plans that work, but we always revert to sending everyone deep.

Slapstick
12-19-2011, 03:25 PM
If not for some drops and injuries during the game, they win by three scores. Those turnovers were about as forced as you can get, too. They hit Ben when he threw and hit Mendenhall just after he took the handoff.

The Steelers also had injuries and execution problems...if the Steelers don't turn the ball over, they score they score three more times and blow the Pack out...conjecture is wonderful...

Sugar
12-19-2011, 03:35 PM

The Steelers also had injuries and execution problems...if the Steelers don't turn the ball over, they score they score three more times and blow the Pack out...conjecture is wonderful...
:Agree

Our O doesn't stink, nor is it the best in the NFL. This team has the talent on all three phases to make a deep run, but a lot will depend on health and a little bit of luck. Of course, if luck is where opportunity meets preparation we should hopefully be in good shape!

steelblood
12-19-2011, 03:55 PM
There will be several very good teams in the playoffs this season. We will be one of them if relatively healthy. This is to be celebrated.

steelz09
12-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Let's not forget that we got some key turnover's because of Palko's poor decision making.

Palko wasn't playing yesterday, it was Orton.

WindyCitySteel
12-19-2011, 04:32 PM

The turnovers weren't flukes - we have blocking weaknesses that were exposed, and they cost us the game. Kemo and DJ executed as well as they could, they just suck.

Slapstick
12-19-2011, 06:50 PM
The turnovers weren't flukes - we have blocking weaknesses that were exposed, and they cost us the game. Kemo and DJ executed as well as they could, they just suck.

I never said the turnovers were flukes...but that does not negate the responsibility of the offensive players to maintain ball security...

The blocking weaknesses were poor execution...as were the drops by the GB receivers...

frankthetank1
12-19-2011, 08:37 PM

What's more important?

I can buy that. What I can't buy is that we somehow have this "great offense" that routinely gets thwarted game after game, year after year, because "the other guys get paid" or "they really get up for us".

We win with a stinky offense.

i know what youre saying the offense has really under achived the last couple of seasons. the personel on offense is scary good and they should be scoring points like the pats and packers. if they could only run the ball better and get in the endzone more in the redzone it would be a different story.

the chiefs defense is the real deal. if they didnt lose berry for the year so early they would have had a much better season. they had some awful luck with injuries this season. hali is becoming one of the best de's in the nfl. i dont understand why they fired todd hailey after a couple of seasons one of which they made the playoffs. the chiefs losing cassell, berry and charles would be like the steelers losing troy, ben, and mendy. its not like hailey inherited a good team in the first place.

Steeler Shades
12-20-2011, 01:03 AM
Our offense stepped up again against the 49ers. 8)

BradshawsHairdresser
12-20-2011, 09:35 AM
No. Just because the Packers had a bad game vs. the Chiefs, it doesn't make our "near loss" look any better. We sucked in that game, but got lucky and won. That doesn't happen against playoff-caliber teams, as the 49er game demonstrated.

frankthetank1
12-20-2011, 09:39 AM
No. Just because the Packers had a bad game vs. the Chiefs, it doesn't make our "near loss" look any better. We sucked in that game, but got lucky and won. That doesn't happen against playoff-caliber teams, as the 49er game demonstrated.

we got lucky that we played them right when they got orton. i chalk that win up to tyler palko sucking big time. a great defense will keep you in a lot of games and the chiefs defense is pretty pretty pretty good.

Slapstick
12-20-2011, 09:44 AM

The Chiefs can play defense...they showed it vs. the Steelers and again vs. the Packers...

Go ahead and refuse to give credit where it's due, though...

Ghost
12-20-2011, 09:47 AM

Totally agree! The Steelers were beyond horrendous inside the 10 yard line in the KC game and nothing changes that (and have been all season long). The Steelers won that game beacause a now fired coach insisted on going with a QB who does not have even third string talent. Thank goodness it was not Orton playing.

And the 49's had the D befuddled last night. Chasing their tale.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-20-2011, 09:53 AM

The Chiefs can play defense...they showed it vs. the Steelers and again vs. the Packers...

Go ahead and refuse to give credit where it's due, though...

The Steelers can blow on offense...they showed it vs. the Chiefs and again vs. the 49ers...

Go ahead and refuse to assign blame where it's due, though... :lol:

Slapstick
12-20-2011, 09:59 AM
The Steelers can blow on offense...they showed it vs. the Chiefs and again vs. the 49ers...

Any team can blow on offense...especially when they play a good defense...

Funny how that works... :lol:

BradshawsHairdresser
12-20-2011, 10:09 AM

Any team can blow on offense...especially when they play a good defense...

Funny how that works... :lol:

You said yourself that we obviously passed too much vs. the 49ers, and should have run the ball more. The defense didn't dictate that.

Would the Steelers have scored 35 points if they'd run the ball more in that game? Doubtful. Could they have avoided some turnovers and put some more points on the board? Likely. Might have even pulled out a win.

Slapstick
12-20-2011, 10:15 AM
You said yourself that we obviously passed too much vs. the 49ers, and should have run the ball more. The defense didn't dictate that.

Would the Steelers have scored 35 points if they'd run the ball more in that game? Doubtful. Could they have avoided some turnovers and put some more points on the board? Likely. Might have even pulled out a win.

I agree...as Tomlin said, the Steelers played the game on the 49ers terms...

feltdizz
12-20-2011, 10:22 AM
If Ben didn't force the ball into double coverage twice we probably feel better about the game last night.

They showed guys open underneath when Ben chose to go deep to Wallace on the first pick. Gotta take what the D gives instead of trying to force it.

frankthetank1
12-20-2011, 10:25 AM
If Ben didn't force the ball into double coverage twice we probably feel better about the game last night.

They showed guys open underneath when Ben chose to go deep to Wallace on the first pick. Gotta take what the D gives instead of trying to force it.

also if the defense forced a turnover or got pressure on smith i would feel a lot better about the game. the week one loss, the texans loss and last night were bad bad losses. this is really alarming to me, those three losses both the defense and offense played badly.

feltdizz
12-20-2011, 10:27 AM

also if the defense forced a turnover or got pressure on smith i would feel a lot better about the game. the week one loss, the texans loss and last night were bad bad losses. this is really alarming to me, those three losses both the defense and offense played badly.

I don't think the D was that bad... it's hard to fault the D when you give the ball up 4 times. SF is a ball control team and they aren't going to put it up in the air like GB or NO.