PDA

View Full Version : Report: Ben expected to start Monday night vs 49ers

hawaiiansteel
12-19-2011, 02:29 AM
Report: Roethlisberger expected to start Monday night

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 19, 2011, 12:00 AM EST

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/b-roethlisbergerfinger.jpg?w=250

Steelers-49ers already felt like a big game.

It feels even bigger after Baltimore’s loss on Sunday night. The Steelers now have a great chance to be the No. 1 seed in the AFC, and it sounds like they’ll have their franchise quarterback behind center for the game.

Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Ben Roethlisberger is fully expected to start after showing enough progress in practice Saturday.

“He’s good enough to go,” a source told Dulac.

Florio reported earlier Sunday that the Ravens’ result could play a role in Big Ben’s status. With a playoff bye now on the line, it sounds safe to expect Roethlisberger will be out there against San Francisco.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... day-night/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/19/report-roethlisberger-expected-to-start-monday-night/)

fordfixer
12-19-2011, 02:32 AM
Report: Roethlisberger expected to start Monday night

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 19, 2011, 12:00 AM EST

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/b-roethlisbergerfinger.jpg?w=250

Steelers-49ers already felt like a big game.

It feels even bigger after Baltimore’s loss on Sunday night. The Steelers now have a great chance to be the No. 1 seed in the AFC, and it sounds like they’ll have their franchise quarterback behind center for the game.

Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Ben Roethlisberger is fully expected to start after showing enough progress in practice Saturday.

“He’s good enough to go,” a source told Dulac.

Florio reported earlier Sunday that the Ravens’ result could play a role in Big Ben’s status. With a playoff bye now on the line, it sounds safe to expect Roethlisberger will be out there against San Francisco.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... day-night/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/19/report-roethlisberger-expected-to-start-monday-night/)
:tt1 :tt1 :tt1

Mister Pittsburgh
12-19-2011, 05:05 AM
Florio is the biggest creep out there. Ben starting had nothing to do with rats game.

Snatch98
12-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Florio is the biggest creep out there. Ben starting had nothing to do with rats game.

Really? I'd say it certainly played a role. If the Ravens had one chances were pretty good that they'd win out. The fact that they loss puts everything in our own hands. I personally wasn't so sure Ben would start or play tonight UNTIL the Ravens got smacked. After the door was pushed wide open it was all but a guarantee.

Florio is a creep though that's for sure.

WindyCitySteel
12-19-2011, 08:41 AM
This has everything to do with Baltimore losing, IMO.

It's still a huge risk, but a greater reward seems within reach. If he aggravates the injury, we may be finished for the year.

Steelgal
12-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Arians better call the game of his life tonight. He's had a few game plans this year, the game against the Pats come to mind, where it was brilliant. He seems to have one good game to 3-4 bad ones. Hopefully we' re due for a good one tonight. Also defense and special teams is gonna have to step up big time as well.

It's gonna have to be a total team effort to come away with a win.

papillon
12-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Ben has to manage this game and his physical capabilities. The 7 step drops may be limited, but other than that the game will be called the same as is usually done. It will be up to Ben to manage when and where the ball gets delivered. Ben is going to have to get into the mindset of releasing the ball when his back foot plants on his drops by getting through the reads quickly. He isn't going to be able to make plays outside the pocket.

Ben needs to be 2004 Ben tonight, manage the game, make first downs, get some points and let the defense do their thing, Alex Smith will make some mistakes.

Pappy

feltdizz
12-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Ben has to manage this game and his physical capabilities. The 7 step drops may be limited, but other than that the game will be called the same as is usually done. It will be up to Ben to manage when and where the ball gets delivered. Ben is going to have to get into the mindset of releasing the ball when his back foot plants on his drops by getting through the reads quickly. He isn't going to be able to make plays outside the pocket.

Ben needs to be 2004 Ben tonight, manage the game, make first downs, get some points and let the defense do their thing, Alex Smith will make some mistakes.

Pappy

:Agree

but I also think Ben plays better and BA calls better plays in these circumstances. Pistol formations, 5 step drops and shorter routes.

Take whats there and play field position all night long.

papillon
12-19-2011, 10:38 AM

Pappy

but I also think Ben plays better and BA calls better plays in these circumstances. Pistol formations, 5 step drops and shorter routes.

Punts can be good plays tonight, since, the defense is not playing against an elite quarterback. Good call on the field position and Kapinos has been the boss lately.

Pappy

Chachi
12-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Short routes, quick throws, dink and dunk is the key to victory tonight.

feltdizz
12-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Its easy to say dink and dunk but what if the 49ers play tight since they know Ben is gimpy and our run game is average?

We will have to take some shots down field as well IMO.

Hopefully the D sets the tone for us tonight.

Shawn
12-19-2011, 11:53 AM
I think you all will be surprised with the result tonight. I do not believe the 49rs will be able to move the ball. I believe even an 80% gimpy Ben throws for 250+ and 2 TD. I believe this is a match up nightmare for the 49rs.

24-10 Steelers

phillyesq
12-19-2011, 12:45 PM

Pappy

Punts can be good plays tonight, since, the defense is not playing against an elite quarterback. Good call on the field position and Kapinos has been the boss lately.

Pappy

The one hard thing about seeing 2004 Ben is that his ability to use play action is going to be limited, not only because of the 49ers strong run D, but also because of his mobility.

feltdizz
12-19-2011, 01:05 PM

Florio is a bum but I think the Rats loss had a ton to do with Ben starting.

feltdizz
12-19-2011, 01:07 PM
I think you all will be surprised with the result tonight. I do not believe the 49rs will be able to move the ball. I believe even an 80% gimpy Ben throws for 250+ and 2 TD. I believe this is a match up nightmare for the 49rs.

24-10 Steelers

I wouldn't be surprised by that at all...

I think Lebeau is going to make Alex Smith look like the real Alex Smith tonight.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-19-2011, 02:45 PM
I recall reading or hearing somewhere that this decision was made before last night's game.

Shawn
12-19-2011, 03:33 PM

24-10 Steelers

I wouldn't be surprised by that at all...

I think Lebeau is going to make Alex Smith look like the real Alex Smith tonight.

Exactly. The 49rs strengths play into the strengths of the Steelers. Run the ball? Not on the Steelers. Throw to Vernon? Not with Timmons. Yes, they stop the run well but the Steelers have a very stout passing game. As long as the Steelers don't beat themselves, I think the 49rs will look like the 49rs of old tonight.

SteelCrazy
12-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Big Ben A Game Time Decision

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be a game-time decision for Monday night's game against the San Francisco 49ers, a source told ESPN.

Roethlisberger's status will not be decided until the Steelers coaches and doctors evaluate him in pregame warm-ups, according to the source.

If he plays, Roethlisberger will wear a brace to stabilize his ankle.

On Sunday, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told ESPN that he was "optimistic" that Roethlisberger would play.

If the Steelers defeat the 49ers they will move to 11-3 on the season and hold a one-game lead in the AFC North over the Baltimore Ravens (10-4). They also would be in the lead for home-field advantage in the postseason due to their head-to-head victory earlier in the season over the New England Patriots.

Roethlisberger was limited Friday in his first practice since spraining his left ankle during a 14-3 win over Cleveland on Dec. 8. He practiced again Saturday, with guard Ramon Foster saying the quarterback showed little problems throwing the ball despite limited mobility.

"His ankle was better than it was last Thursday (when he injured it)," Tomlin told ESPN, adding that Roethlisberger "looked good" in Saturday's practice.

Roethlisberger last missed a start due to injury in 2009. Veteran Charlie Batch will get the start if Roethlisberger can't go against the 49ers.

"Ben's competitive," Tomlin told ESPN. "Something like this stokes his fire. He loves a little adversity. But we won't be negligent. We'll see how it unfolds."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/73694 ... h-steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7369452/ben-roethlisberger-status-game-time-decision-pittsburgh-steelers)