PDA

View Full Version : Steelers linked to CFL offensive lineman

PSU_dropout43
12-18-2011, 03:16 AM
PFT.com
by Mike Florio

Every once in a while, a player makes the jump from the CFL to the NFL, and he makes an impact. One of the next guys to get a promotion could be B.C. Lions offensive lineman Jovan Olafioye.

Olafioye worked out this week for the Vikings and Dolphins. Over the next two weeks, he’ll get a look-see from the Browns, Steelers, and Jets — and possibly other teams.

Under CFL rules, Olafioye can sign with any NFL team on January 2.

He played at North Carolina Central University, and he was invited to a minicamp with the Detroit Lions in 2009. Olafioye was not offered a contract.

At 350 pounds, Olafioye has played left tackle and right tackle. For the B.C. Lions, the 2011 Grey Cup champions, Olafioye allowed no sacks. He also was a finalist for the league’s Offensive Lineman of the Year award.

The last CFL player to generate this kind of buzz was Dolphins defensive end Cameron Wake. Maybe next year Olafioye will get a chance to try to block him.

Oviedo
12-18-2011, 10:46 AM
If he can play Guard sign him immediately. Cut Kemo and Foster immediately.

hawaiiansteel
12-18-2011, 01:34 PM

Kemo is as good as gone at the end of this season.

Ramon Foster I believe will be a RFA at the end of the year and I'm sure the Steelers will want to bring him back. while he isn't an All-Pro, he is serviceable and will provide much-needed depth at OG whether he starts or not next season.

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2011, 01:43 PM

Kemo is as good as gone at the end of this season.

Ramon Foster I believe will be a RFA at the end of the year and I'm sure the Steelers will want to bring him back. while he isn't an All-Pro, he is serviceable and will provide much-needed depth at OG whether he starts or not next season.

:Agree

Kemo is certainly history at season's end (combination of large cap number, demotion, lack of positional flexibility, and general boneheadedness gives us a perfect storm for walking papers).

On the other hand, Foster does not have a large cap number (can be kept with an RFA tender next season as you indicated), has not been demoted, does have positional flexibility, and is not a bonehead.

Who knows what happens with our guard positions next year...if we bring back Starks, Gilbert, and Colon then one of them could potentially move a starting guard role, and perhaps we draft a rookie guard high who could fill the other guard role, leaving Foster without a starting gig. Even then, he'd still provide valuable depth for us at a reasonable price. I have no idea why anyone would want to dump that immediately at season's end.

StarSpangledSteeler
12-18-2011, 03:46 PM
What are we signing him for? This year? Is he really going to learn the playbook and audibles and blitz pick ups in one week? I don't think so. We might look at him for next year.

The absolute biggest OL issue is re-signing Starks. We have NO cap room. We have to cut multiple veterans and restructure Ben just to get NEAR the cap. After Starks' performance this year, he will get other offers. Unless he gives us a huge home town discount, we will need a high draft pick at OT. If we do re-sign Starks, we start Starks and Gilbert at LT and RT. Kick Colon to RG. Draft an early round rookie LG. And our starters are set. We need more depth at guard of course but:

Starks - Rookie 1st rounder - Pouncey - Colon - Gilbert

Is a pretty dang good O line.

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2011, 04:06 PM
What are we signing him for? This year? Is he really going to learn the playbook and audibles and blitz pick ups in one week? I don't think so. We might look at him for next year.

Yeah, it would be a futures contract for 2012. Signing him now would mean that our trainers would be able to craft an offseason workout regimen for the kid before he reported to offseason activities with the rest of the team such as minicamps and OTA's (we've done this before...most recently went we signed Stefan Logan at the end of his 2008 season with the B.C. Lions, bringing him to camp to compete for a roster spot on our 2009 team).

Eddie Spaghetti
12-18-2011, 05:01 PM
only an idiot would want to cut Foster at years end.

his play has vastly outperformed his paycheck this season.

but ovi has hated this kid ever since he beat out his boy urbik in camp and made him look foolish. Its just comical at this pojnt.

pfelix73
12-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Legs is gonna be their long-term player at LG. He's fine there. Not to mention a backup at C. I would think they will bring in a FA to compete at RG. Not so sure Starks will be back next year, but I would bring him back.. They say Gilbert will be there at LT next year. Colon at RT- unless he gets hurt again.....

:tt1

Eddie Spaghetti
12-18-2011, 07:29 PM
I don't understand why so many people are convinced that legursky is a long term answer and LG and dismiss what Foster has done at RG. Is it his average performance in the Super Bowl? In limited starts he has been underwhelming at best, while we continue to pile up wins with Foster who seems to have developed a nice working relation ship with Gilbert. The right side of the OL has been pretty damn good.

to this pojnt Foster has proven much more on the football field than Legursky, but seems to be the 2nd favorite whipping boy on the line.

doesn't make sense to me.

hawaiiansteel
12-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Legs is gonna be their long-term player at LG. He's fine there. Not to mention a backup at C. I would think they will bring in a FA to compete at RG. Not so sure Starks will be back next year, but I would bring him back.. They say Gilbert will be there at LT next year. Colon at RT- unless he gets hurt again.....

I agree with you regarding Legs at LG and of course Pouncey would start at center.

and if we bring Starks back, Gilbert or Colon could start at RT with the other one sliding inside to RG to compete with Ramon Foster for that starting job.

Dee Dub
12-18-2011, 08:50 PM

The Steelers have made it known that they also like the fact that Legursky can get out and pull. I dont think the offenseive line will change next year. Starks-Legursky-Pouncey-Foster-Gilbert. I think is a group that has improved and are doing what the Steelers want.

buckeyehoppy
12-18-2011, 11:25 PM

The Steelers have made it known that they also like the fact that Legursky can get out and pull. I dont think the offenseive line will change next year. Starks-Legursky-Pouncey-Foster-Gilbert. I think is a group that has improved and are doing what the Steelers want.

I don't want Legursky as a starter, period. His position flex is a gold mine and, IMHO, makes him as valuable as a starter anyway. He'll get plenty of work, to be sure, because of the nature of the NFL and injuries.

I think Starks will be kept. He's like a drug for the Steelers that they can't do w/o. They went into withdrawal when he wasn't here to start this season. Until Gibby is good to go at LT, Starks stays.

That said, the Steelers should give the CFL prospect a long look and a contract if he can work at RT or anywhere on the left.

hawaiiansteel
12-19-2011, 12:58 AM
I think Legursky is a better center than OG...

personally, I really hope the Steelers sign a good OG in free agency or draft one in the first couple of rounds of this upcoming draft.

DukieBoy
12-19-2011, 01:11 AM
But, could he offer the incredible "position flexibility" such as we have in Essex ??????

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Slapstick
12-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Realistically, Starks will probably not be wearing the black and gold next year...

Too many salary cap issues, too many other impact players to secure...

The Steelers need to find healthy, capable bodies wherever they can...if they think this Jovan Olafioye can perform anywhere near the level of a Cameron Wake, or even a John Chick, he is worth signing to a contract for next year...