PDA

View Full Version : Timmons and Worilds On the Outside?

BradshawsHairdresser
12-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Harrison is suspended, Woodley is only going to play a limited number of snaps, and it looks as though Carter is out with a hamstring.

Sure hope Timmons and Worilds can keep from getting injured.

pittpete
12-17-2011, 11:23 AM
I sure hope Timmons can step up and earn some of the cash they dished out for him..

Slapstick
12-17-2011, 11:46 AM
From what read, Woodley was not limited at all in practice and participated fully...that was not the case in the week prior to the Cincinnati game...

His snaps may not be limited at all...

Chavezz
12-17-2011, 12:16 PM
I think a lot will depend on whether or not Balitmore loses. If they do, I think you'll see woodley play until the game is either in hand or we have no shot of making a come back. If Baltimore wins, then I see them sticking with the snap count.

Worilds I'm not so worried about. I think he's serviceable, Timmons being played out of postition though, weakens two spots.

Also if Gore is out or limited due to his injury, it probably won't matter who we play at OLB. Double Davis is the passing game with Timmons and Clark, let Ike cover Crabtree and we should shut them down defensively.

On offense, we go as ben goes. If he's capable, this is a game where we should come out and pass pass pass. We aren't going it run on them (unless Willis is out which I doubt he will be), play to our strengths.

I'm also calling Pony backfield early and often.

Shoe
12-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Chavezz,
You hit the nail on the head with Worilds: "serviceable" is how I'd describe him. And also, I realize how moving Timmons makes us worse (in two positions).

I really wish these young guys would be ready for their moment. I FULLY understand that injuries occur in this game, but it's a golden opportunity for guys like Worilds, Carter to gain experience!

And I don't know why... because I know how hamstring injuries are, and I know ow they linger... but I just can't help feeling fed up with Woodley's situation. I guess it's because he began the season like hot $hit (i.e. preparation, especially after just inking a new deal), he starts to produce like he's supposed to, and he hurts his hamstring (an injury that often occurs when you aren't in proper physical shape) that keeps im out basically the rest of the year. It's not out of the realm to think he won't be the same player for the rest of this season!

hawaiiansteel
12-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Worilds of talent pays off for fill-in starter at either OLB position

Saturday, December 17, 2011
By Dan Gigler, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Consider for a moment, the public image of the Steelers' All-Pro outside linebackers.

James Harrison, public enemy No. 1 in the NFL. A menacing player, unapologetic for his violent style of play.

LaMarr Woodley, a gregarious, pass rusher who spits water into the air in pregame introductions like the professional wrestler Triple H.

Now, meet the man who charged with replacing them when they cannot play: Jason Worilds, a quiet, affable fellow who -- true story -- took his mother to his senior prom.

As the Sesame Street song goes, one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong.

Personality wise, perhaps.

But, while the second-year understudy out of Virginia Tech lacks the bluster of the other two, he approaches the game with a no-frills intensity, impressive work ethic and near-academic analysis of his assignments that has yielded three sacks and 24 tackles in four starts the past five games. That's in addition to being a special-teams ace.

Worilds will start again Monday night in place of the suspended Harrison, and, in doing so, will move to the right side of the field, after replacing the ailing Woodley. (hamstring) on the left.

Right to left, left to right -- what's the difference?

"My reads are different. People don't understand how intricate the game is pre-snap," Worilds explained.

"On any given play, I could either be rushing or in coverage. That can switch depending on where a receiver goes, what the backfield formation is, what was called, or what our middle linebacker might see -- he might put us in a different defense.

"So, if I'm thinking coverage, my coverage could go from being a slot safety to a zone, or to someone in the backfield or to somebody on the other side of the field."

Worilds continued: "It can go from all of that -- pre-snap -- to [instead] being pass rush. So now you've got to think, what's the down and distance? What have they run prior to [this]? What's the stance, the alignments and the settings of the offensive line? What's the running back looking at? What did you study in film? What's the personnel?

"And all of that," Worilds snapped his fingers, "is split second."

"You've got to make a decision. Not only are the other 10 guys on the field waiting on you to make a decision, the sideline is, the fans are, everybody in the world is ... And, if you make the wrong decision, somebody knocks your head off."

"It's definitely a lot of pressure," Worilds adds. "I live for it."

His zeal for the game has not gone unnoticed.

"I've been very impressed with the hustle plays he's made -- forcing fumbles, getting sacks," safety Ryan Clark said. "Those are the things we value here. It's not about what you can do, it is about what you're willing to do. He's shown he's willing to start at outside linebacker and go play special teams and, to us, that means a lot -- what you're willing to give to the team."

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau also was effusive in his praise of Worilds.

"His effort has been tremendous," LeBeau said. "Jason's held up very well, so I'm sure that he'll get a couple tickets to the dance [against San Francisco], but he'll do fine."

Worilds' who leans on his brother, Tyshawn, an Air Force veteran of the Afghan war for support, has a more tempered view of his play.

"I won't say it's clicked on for me, but the light is definitely flickering ... you go from being a backup one week to starting, if you haven't been paying attention the weeks prior, you're lost, you're not ready for the opportunity.

"I've been saying for awhile my time will come ... I'm out there, just trying to make the best of my opportunity and I'll go from there.

"But, right now, all I have is Monday."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11351/11 ... z1goORaWA1 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11351/1197546-66-0.stm#ixzz1goORaWA1)

Slapstick
12-17-2011, 03:07 PM
...three sacks and 24 tackles in four starts the past five games...

Actually, that's even better than serviceable...

WindyCitySteel
12-17-2011, 06:06 PM
I've been very pleased with Worilds' play. I think he'll be more than ready to assume a starter's role when JH retires, which I fear may be soon considering his back problems.

fezziwig
12-17-2011, 07:06 PM
I wasn't sold on Worilds at the start because so many were so pumped about him I expected him to come out of the gate like the next Woodley or Harrison. He has done a nice job with his limited action andI have a feeling he will be a Steeler for a long time.

My one friend is pumped up about Carter and tells me we got a steal in him and he's going to be the next famous Steeler linebacker someday.

Now about Woodley: Prior to the Bengals game Woodley was not a lock to be 100% and they should have only used him in the Bengals game if it came down to it.
I think had he not played in the Bengal game we wouldn't be worried about him at this time.

Shoe
12-18-2011, 02:41 AM
My one friend is pumped up about Carter and tells me we got a steal in him and he's going to be the next famous Steeler linebacker someday.

I like Carter too, based on the very limited amount I've seen of him, and the scouting reports I've read on him. He seems very quick and relentless. I don't know what it is about Worilds... I don't see the upside that we've come to expect from our LBs traditionally.

It's funny, because I mean this as sort of a... not an insult, but like a limiting, sort-of evaluation: I think at best, he is a Jason Gildon. I said it's funny because he is the all-time sack leader in STEELER history. Yet if I were to rank the OLBs in the last 20 years, Gildon is middle of the pack. And to me, Worilds does not bring the dynamic ability that guys like Lloyd, Greene, Harrison, Porter, Woodley...

fezziwig
12-18-2011, 10:48 AM
I never thought Gildon was good despite his sacks. His sacks were scrap sacks and that most teams geared up so much for the opposite side that Gildon got his by default. Gildon seldom bull rushed to the QB and more like they ran into him.
Too many times I've seen receivers, runningbacks plant Gildon and his body cast style of play.
Best that played that side of the line has been Kevin Greene and then Woodley.

I'm noticing Worilds improving and I guess that doesn't mean he will be the next super star but, it is nice to see the improvement.
I thought Timmons was going to be the next hitman that would take the NFL by storm only because that, is what everyone pretty much said about him. Each year is supposed to be his breakout year but, his contributions are average to me.
To me Timmons was a waste of a number one pick and for sure over paid with his new contract.

pittpete
12-18-2011, 12:55 PM
I think he'll be more than ready to assume a starter's role when JH retires, which I fear may be soon considering his back problems

Dont think Harrison has missed any time this year due to his back...

Shoe
12-18-2011, 01:08 PM
I thought Timmons was going to be the next hitman that would take the NFL by storm only because that, is what everyone pretty much said about him. Each year is supposed to be his breakout year but, his contributions are average to me.
To me Timmons was a waste of a number one pick and for sure over paid with his new contract.

I won't call him a wasted pick (yet* ;), but I'm also left waiting for all the big plays that we've been told this guy is capable of. And sadly, it's very likely that we've seen all we're gonna see from him.