PDA

View Full Version : Why no ruling on Harrison appeal yet?

WindyCitySteel
12-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Is the NFL playing both sides of the fence here? They could string this out until Monday, lift the suspension, and then James is free to play that evening after not practicing all week.

Would they play him in that case, or sit him and give the NFL their wish?

Paranoid or crazy like a fox?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f3/Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

SteelBucks
12-16-2011, 10:38 AM
I expect a decision today. I'm not holding my breath on a positive outcome.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Even if they announced it later on this afternoon, and it was somehow overturned, he still would have missed Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday practice.

Sugar
12-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Even IF they saw that it was wrong, there is every political reason to leave the suspension in place. Lifting it would be a slap in the face to too many important people and the media would go on and on about it as a black mark on the league.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Appeal Denied.

James Harrison's appeal of ban denied
ESPN.com news services
Updated: December 16, 2011, 10:48 AM ET

Steelers linebacker James Harrison's appeal of his one-game suspension for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Browns quarterback Colt McCoy was denied Friday.

The appeal was heard on Wednesday afternoon by Ted Cottrell, jointly appointed by the NFL and the players' association to hear such cases.

Harrison was expected to miss Monday night's game against the San Francisco 49ers. The NFL suspended Harrison for his hit last Thursday night on McCoy.

Harrison become the first player to be suspended for a helmet-to-helmet hit at a time when the NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has attempted to enforce enhanced player safety rules.

While he is suspended, Harrison cannot practice with the Steelers or be at the team's facility or a stadium where they will be playing. He is scheduled to be reinstated Dec. 20.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has said the team respects the league's decision while acknowledging Harrison's play was a foul.

"We're disappointed for James because we know how hard he's worked to play within the rules," Tomlin said. "We accept the judgment rendered by the league office and we'll move forward."

Harrison's hit on McCoy was his fifth illegal hit against a quarterback in the past three seasons. In addition to the fines he has received for hits on quarterbacks, he also has been fined twice more for unnecessary roughness for other hits during that time period.

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7359537/one-game-ban-james-harrison-pittsburgh-steelers-upheld

Blitz-en
12-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Beat me to it. Just received a text that the suspension was upheld.

Slapstick
12-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Of course it was upheld!

Goodell wouldn't allow any other outcome, no matter how persuasive the argument...

BradshawsHairdresser
12-16-2011, 12:35 PM
There whole appeal process was a sham. The suspension was set, and there was no way it would have been overturned.

Goodell's happy. He's one step closer to his dream Super Bowl matchup of the Packers vs. the *'s.

NorthCoast
12-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Overturning it would require them to admit they made a mistake. Waiting for the day they admit making a mistake on one of these rulings is like waiting for indisputable proof of global warming, by the time you get it, it is already too late for everyone.

Steelers>NFL
12-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Since it is so obvious they will not overturn it, why appeal then.
Must be a union thing.

snarky
12-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Denied

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/73595 ... ers-upheld (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7359537/one-game-ban-james-harrison-pittsburgh-steelers-upheld)

EDIT: oops miss Ruthless's post above.

Dee Dub
12-16-2011, 03:06 PM
I guess this is Goodell's way of telling James...

"If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out, I wouldn't do it,"

SteelBucks
12-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Since it is so obvious they will not overturn it, why appeal then.
Must be a union thing.

Bingo! The players union would have got involved and make him appeal.

flippy
12-16-2011, 04:22 PM
It'd be cool if 10k Steelers fans showed up in #92 jerseys next week.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-16-2011, 05:12 PM

I rarely (never) wear my jerseys at home for regular season games, but I think I will wear my #92 on Monday night!

WindyCitySteel
12-16-2011, 06:01 PM

Even cooler if all of the players wore a #92 patch somewhere Monday Night, fines be damned.

grotonsteel
12-16-2011, 06:03 PM

Even cooler if all of the players wore a #92 patch somewhere Monday Night, fines be damned.

:Agree