PDA

View Full Version : Biggest NFC challenge to Pack?

WindyCitySteel
12-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Atlanta has the 8th ranked defense, 13th offense, and appears to be hitting their stride after a rocky start. Could they pull off another 1998-like upset in the playoffs again?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-16-2011, 03:32 PM
I posted in a thread a few weeks ago that I thought that Atlanta could be a scary team for GB. The team that takes out the Pack is going to have to play D and be able to run the ball up north. I also love the way that Jones is emerging, watching him play the past few weeks reminds me of Fitz. Big size and blinding speed. He looks like a man running away from kids when he gets loose.

feltdizz
12-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Last year the Pack owned ATL in their house... after watching the Panthers put up 23 first half points before tanking in another 2nd half I'm not too sure ATL is any better than last year.

The biggest challenge to the Pack is their lack of D and the refs. If the refs stay out of the way I could see GB getting beat but if they get every push off, late hit, catch that wasn't possessed etc then it's hard to see them losing before they play us.

Steelgal
12-16-2011, 03:56 PM
I don't have a lot of faith in the Falcons. Matty Ice is yet to prove anything in the playoffs......

I think the team that could beat them is the Giants. They almost got them a few weeks ago and they've been there before. Both defenses are suspect. The Falcons and Saints both play in domes and could have trouble playing in Lambeau in 20 degree weather and/or snow.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Last year the Pack owned ATL in their house... after watching the Panthers put up 23 first half points before tanking in another 2nd half I'm not too sure ATL is any better than last year.

Believe it or not, I don't think that this Packers team is as good as last season's WC team. They just have no D. That will come back to bite them when the temperature dips and the wind pick up.

steelblood
12-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Falcons are really pretty average on the road. Now if it was a dome road game, I'd give them a shot. But, at Lambeau, I don't see it happening. If the Giants had better secondary play, I'd like them.

flippy
12-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Detroit, Chicago, and Atlanta match up about the best defensively. But I don't know that they can put up the points.

NO probably has the best shot in a shoot out and their D is opportunistic.

The Giants and Dallas are the big wild cards in the bunch. They both have the talent to match up. But I don' trust Eli's noodle arm in the extreme cold weather of Lambeau. Dallas comes down to coaching and defense. If I was going to want a shot in Lambeau, I'd want Romo or Brees on my side from the NFC perspective.

The only other option - SF would get blown away. It's just a bad matchup for them.

I think most of the teams in the AFC have a much better shot from Pit to Baltimore to NE to Houston to the Jets to San Diego if they can sneak in.

pick6
12-16-2011, 07:16 PM
[quote="Steelgal"]I don't have a lot of faith in the Falcons. Matty Ice is yet to prove anything in the playoffs......

I think the team that could beat them is the Giants. They almost got them a few weeks ago and they've been there before. Both defenses are suspect. The Falcons and Saints both play in domes and could have trouble playing in Lambeau in 20 degree weather and/or snow.[/quote

Im with you about the Giants. They saved football as we know it a few years ago and almost did the same this year to the Pack. Just like the patriots beat NYG in the regular season that year and lost in the superbowl I hope NYG beats them again this year (aside from the far better scenario of us beating them in the superbowl, of course).

The Falcons simply don't stand much of a chance but despite your correct point about weather and dome play, I think the Saints would be pumped beyond belief for that game and would have a decent chance of pulling it off.

SteelAbility
12-16-2011, 07:25 PM
If there are howling winds in Green Bay on playoff day, the best team might just end up being the one with the best running game.

papillon
12-16-2011, 07:43 PM
If there are howling winds in Green Bay on playoff day, the best team might just end up being the one with the best running game.

It's kind of funny, Green Bay may be hurt most by the winter in Green Bay. They appear to be constructed for a track meet, not playing a physical football game that may require more running than they like to do.

That being said, I like the Giants (if they can get into the tournament) to be the spoiler again. If Bradshaw can stay out of Dutch with the coaches and a couple defenders get healthy and with the way Eli is playing this year, the Giants are a viable candidate to knock off the Packers. They almost did it with a depleted defense and Bradshaw on the sideline because he's an idiot.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2011, 03:58 PM
The Chefs have been playing a solid game against the Pack today. Of course, not being able to convert first half red zone opportunities to TD's (2 FG's and a turnover on downs) gave them only a tenous 6-0 halftime lead, which Green Bay erased rather quickly immediately after halftime.

Of course, crappy refs helped immensely...on consecutive plays on that TD drive to make it 7-6, Tamba Hali was clotheslined as bad or worse than what we typically see on James Harrison on the bomb to Finley, and then when Rodgers manages to spin out of the potential sack in the pocket, he just launches the ball 20 rows into the stands (if he was out of the pocket, that would have been okay, but since he was in the pocket it should have been called intentional grounding, but wasn't of course), and he threw at TD pass to Driver on the next play. Refs suck.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Don't know about biggest NFC challenge, but so far, the biggest NFL challenge to the Pack has been the Kansas City Chiefs!