PDA

View Full Version : Are Steeler Fans the only ones turning away from the NFL?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-15-2011, 09:30 PM
I know by reading this forum that I'm not the only one who has lost joy in the NFL. I didn't watch the Monday night game, I'm not watching tonight ... I haven't really watched much NFL at all this year beyond the Steeler games. All this rule malarkey is just sucking the fandom out of me, as I know it is doing to many of us.

My question is ... does anyone hang out with true fans of other NFL teams, or lurk on their boards? Is it just us (because it's our team members that have gotten Goodell's shaft), or do true fans around the league see what is happening as well?

Thanks for any perspective ...

virgilbosetti
12-15-2011, 10:20 PM
One can only hope. It is driving me insane, and the fact that the announcers and highlight show hosts are not being more critical is terrible.

The "hit on a defensless Receiver" call is the one that is the worst IMO. The only negative comment I have heard to date came from Jon Gruden.

Years past certain rules would lose momentum and then kind of fade.....one can only hope.

WindyCitySteel
12-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Didn't know there was a game tonight.

fezziwig
12-15-2011, 10:33 PM
They all ready have the players wearing titty pink ! Where does it all end ?

SteelBucks
12-15-2011, 10:36 PM
I don't like the new wussified rules of the NFL but I watch as much football as I always have. I've continued to purchase The Ticket for the past 14 years, my closet is full of merchandise and I try to attend a few games each year as well. Heck, I'm even sitting here watching an awful Falcons/Jags game.

I'm looking forward to the end of Goodell's reign of terror but football season is still the best time of the year. What else do I have to look forward to? The Buccos? :wink:

BURGH86STEEL
12-15-2011, 10:38 PM
I don't believe many people are turning away from the NFL. Especially because of the rule changes. Many fans only watch and are concerned with their team. Those same fans take a passing interests in other games unless those games directly affect their team. I believe a small minority of hard core fans have less interests in the NFL because of the over saturation of football and everything that has to do with football. Give people to much of anything and they may eventually lose interest.

Ghost
12-15-2011, 11:24 PM
They are not marketing the new NFL to us (people who follow religiously and post on message boards...). We'll continue to watch the Steelers and purchase their merchandise.

The NFL is the biggest sport on the planet and with the TV money involved it HAS to keep the best players and biggest names on the field. Most people today want scoring. Personally I loved the first LSU -Bama game but all you heard nationally was how boring it was. It's a real shame but this is what the NFL is going for - chicks who buy pink gear, foreign countries, and guys who just want to see 38 - 27 scores and think defensive battles suck.

fezziwig
12-15-2011, 11:30 PM
I love the defensive battles and the run game and peppered with some passes here and there.

It must be what I have grown up with. I grew up watching Franco and Rocky pound the defenses with the run game and then Frank Pollard, Barry Foster, Bettis and then...........

I loved the catches that Swann made, the bomb that Stallworth caught in the Super Bowl against the Rams and so, it was all good.
Today it's move up and down the field, the defense gets sued if they play the game and the team with the ball in their hands last, usually gets the win.

Discipline of Steel
12-16-2011, 12:12 AM
Today it's move up and down the field, the defense gets sued if they play the game and the team with the ball in their hands last, usually gets the win.

STOP I CANT FULKAN TAKE IT ANY MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2011, 01:05 AM
It's a real shame but this is what the NFL is going for - chicks who buy pink gear, foreign countries, and guys who just want to see 38 - 27 scores and think defensive battles suck.

You'd think foreigners would prefer low-scoring defensive battles as opposed to high-flying shootouts. After all, most of the international sports world tends to revolve around soccer, where you are lucky if you get more than one goal in any given game.

jj28west
12-16-2011, 07:32 AM
They are not marketing the new NFL to us (people who follow religiously and post on message boards...). We'll continue to watch the Steelers and purchase their merchandise.

The NFL is the biggest sport on the planet and with the TV money involved it HAS to keep the best players and biggest names on the field. Most people today want scoring. Personally I loved the first LSU -Bama game but all you heard nationally was how boring it was. It's a real shame but this is what the NFL is going for - chicks who buy pink gear, foreign countries, and guys who just want to see 38 - 27 scores and think defensive battles suck.

:Clap well said

anger 82&95
12-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Not only is the “commish” a skinny mustache away from being the leader of the Fourth Reich he is also a hypocritical idiot that lacks foresight. To manipulate the officiating so the NFL becomes an aerial circus will have consequences that may not be so easily rectified in the future.

WindyCitySteel
12-16-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm looking forward to the end of Goodell's reign of terror but football season is still the best time of the year. What else do I have to look forward to? The Buccos? :wink:

Hockey. If you don't know it, learn it. The Pens are about as good a team to watch as any.

WindyCitySteel
12-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Personally I loved the first LSU -Bama game but all you heard nationally was how boring it was.

Eh, that game was more terrible QB play than great defense.

isonator07
12-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Im still watching most of the games, but I don't like all the rules that limit the defense. Can't hit a QB high, can't hit a QB low, cant make contact with a QB's helmet, can't lead with your helmet on a QB. Cant faceguard a WR, cant bump a WR after 5 yds. Can't hit a defenseless WR. I'm sure I've missed some of the BS rules.

With all these rules favoring the offensive player it seems like after 90% of incompletions the WR's are jawing at the refs to throw a flag for pass interference.

There are four qbs on pace to throw for 5000 yards this year (Brees, Rodgers, Eli Manning, and Brady). I don't think Eli Manning should ever be close to 5000 yards. This is the new nfl.

feltdizz
12-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Im still watching most of the games, but I don't like all the rules that limit the defense. Can't hit a QB high, can't hit a QB low, cant make contact with a QB's helmet, can't lead with your helmet on a QB. Cant faceguard a WR, cant bump a WR after 5 yds. Can't hit a defenseless WR. I'm sure I've missed some of the BS rules.

With all these rules favoring the offensive player it seems like after 90% of incompletions the WR's are jawing at the refs to throw a flag for pass interference.

There are four qbs on pace to throw for 5000 yards this year (Brees, Rodgers, Eli Manning, and Brady). I don't think Eli Manning should ever be close to 5000 yards. This is the new nfl.

WR's have always begged for pass INT's..

Eli gets a bad rap based on his last name but the guy isn't a bad QB.

My brother in law is a Pats fan and when a Pats fan complains about the refs and the new rules you know something is wrong. LOL.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2011, 11:21 AM

Hockey. If you don't know it, learn it. The Pens are about as good a team to watch as any.

I'm shocked hockey isn't more popular in the U.S. Speed, power, grace, hitting, talent, fighting, players without massive egos that permeate other pro sports...it has it all over baseball, basketball, soccer, NASCAR, tennis, golf, etc. I used to be 85% football and 15% hockey and screw everything else. Now it's more like 55% football and 45% hockey (and closing).

isonator07
12-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Pats fans complaining about the rules says it all.

Dizz, i'm not saying Eli is a bad QB. If I had to rank the QB's in the league he wouldn't be in my top 5. With that said hes closing in on a record (along with 3 other QB's) that has stood for over 25 years.

WindyCitySteel
12-16-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm shocked hockey isn't more popular in the U.S. Speed, power, grace, hitting, talent, fighting, players without massive egos that permeate other pro sports...it has it all over baseball, basketball, soccer, NASCAR, tennis, golf, etc. I used to be 85% football and 15% hockey and screw everything else. Now it's more like 55% football and 45% hockey (and closing).

I got my in-laws watching Detroit-Boston day after Thanksgiving. They had never seen it but were into it.

Biggest problem was they couldn't follow the puck.

fezziwig
12-16-2011, 11:38 AM
I don't watch much of Eli but I did tune in for Eli's last drive against the Cowboys and Eli to me looked like an elite QB with some of those passes.

SteelBucks
12-16-2011, 11:44 AM

I've been a Pens and hockey fan since Lemieux's rookie year. Love it.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2011, 11:57 AM

HD helps immensely.

ColumbusSteelerFan
12-16-2011, 12:01 PM

HD helps immensely.

Or the "glow in the dark" puck that FOX used for a while. That worked, didn't it? :lol:

feltdizz
12-16-2011, 12:02 PM

I'm a fan of the Pens but I couldn't watch any other team play...

Skating on ice is hard to do.. and most people don't enjoy watching a sport they never played or couldn't envision themselves playing.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-16-2011, 12:27 PM
OK, so from the comments here, it seems that though there may be some unhappiness with the NFL outside of Steeler Nation (and Planet!), there's no widespread plans to march with pitchforks on Goodell and NFL headquarters.

Bummer, I was hoping talking heads on TV would realize the game they love is on life support, that only a Goodell-ectomy can keep it from death (it will still be called "football", but any similarities to the game we have known and loved would be purely coincidental ...), and that they would be leading the revolt on TV ...

BTW - why aren't old school retired players speaking out? Marino? Bradshaw? Blount? Etc.?

Re: hockey - since SASF, Jr. became a lacrosse goalie I have watched a fair amount more of similar sports, like hockey and soccer, than I used to. Only problem I have with hockey is the fighting, from two points of view: one is the hypocrisy, it's supposedly illegal, but is tolerated/encouraged; the other is why fight? ... it really doesn't add anything to the beauty of the game, it detracts IMO.

fezziwig
12-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Not a hockey fan or baseball fan but I root for our Pens and Bucs just the same.

I do take the kids to a couple of Pirate games a year and it's enjoyable. Hockey just makes me so nervous to watch.

virgilbosetti
12-17-2011, 10:11 AM
[quote="SanAntonioSteelerFan"]OK, so from the comments here, it seems that though there may be some unhappiness with the NFL outside of Steeler Nation (and Planet!), there's no widespread plans to march with pitchforks on Goodell and NFL headquarters.

BTW - why aren't old school retired players speaking out? Marino? Bradshaw? Blount? Etc.?

In regards to the pitchfork thing.......I'm in.

As far as the old school talking heads - that is exactly my point from earlier post. I understand why they are doing it (see Ghosts' post), but why no critique from anyone besides Jon Gruden?? Ditka, Jackson, Cowher, etc.....

Cut my teeth on the Steelers of the 70's, and have been a fantasy dood for about 20 years. It seems like the new NFL is only catering to fantasy football, and scoring TD's. The hit on a defenseless WR is the one that is driving me nuts. It's a bad rule and open to much human interpretation (error through inconsistency).
Separate receiver from ball with solid hit…..IT’S FOOTBALL!!!

WindyCitySteel
12-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Only problem I have with hockey is the fighting, from two points of view: one is the hypocrisy, it's supposedly illegal, but is tolerated/encouraged; the other is why fight? ... it really doesn't add anything to the beauty of the game, it detracts IMO.

Eh, they're tame fights. I see it as a code of honor thing. If someone is jamming his stick into your goalie's ribs after the whistle or throwing cheap shots, I'd rather see gloves drop than retaliation at full speed that could seriously injure someone.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Only problem I have with hockey is the fighting, from two points of view: one is the hypocrisy, it's supposedly illegal, but is tolerated/encouraged; the other is why fight? ... it really doesn't add anything to the beauty of the game, it detracts IMO.

Eh, they're tame fights. I see it as a code of honor thing. If someone is jamming his stick into your goalie's ribs after the whistle or throwing cheap shots, I'd rather see gloves drop than retaliation at full speed that could seriously injure someone.

Hey Windy!

But why is it an "either/or" kind of thing? If the refs enforced the rules about jamming the stick or cheap shots, then theoretically (like in football now) wouldn't that cut down on the fighing or full speed retaliation?

I have a hard time watching those fights, besides the hypocrisy of the rules/refs it's looking lately like they aren't as tame as people once thought - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/sport ... gewanted=1 (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/sports/hockey/derek-boogaard-a-brain-going-bad.html?pagewanted=1)

WindyCitySteel
12-17-2011, 12:30 PM
If his brain got scrambled by hockey, it was more likely from the violent collisions during play rather than from a human fist. Two guys slipping around, holding each other's jersey, and throwing half punches isn't going to do damage compared to a full speed collision at center ice.