PDA

View Full Version : From here on out

pick6
12-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Just thinking of what Tomlin and company should be focused on as we make another push toward the great "Hoisting".

Nearly 60% of my offensive practice time would be dedicated to red zone offense. I would also change the team red zone from the antiquated 20 yard line to the 30 yard line due to our plethora of passing threats. I would also add Mendenhall to the passing game in this area as defenses simply cannot account for him and still protect the endzone. And don't forget about Hines he can still find the soft spot in the zone and opposing teams must worry about our other guys, "Young Money", I hate saying that, LOL. We have the tools to be deadly in the red zone we just have to fine tune it during practice.

Also I would rehash the cornerback blitz. We saw a lot of it last year but it seems like we have used it less this year. I really think that Lebeau is saving it for the right moments in the playoffs. He knows that last year the corner blitz was very effective causing major problems for the opposing offense almost everytime we employed it. Lebeau doesn't want it to be on film so much this year. Let's start practicing it.

We will also see many teams especially the Ravens try to use the stretch play, with the cut back, in their running game. We have to stop this. The 49ers will be a great test.

What would you guys like to see us work on.

flippy
12-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Redzone = Redman

pick6
12-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I just don't want to signal run play to the defense by bringing him, because yes he does seem to be more consistent in short yardage. Man, I just wish Mendenhall was a little tougher. But you can't teach that at this point.

Dee Dub
12-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Redzone = Redman

Does Redman have a 100 million dollar contract? Let me correct you....

Redzone should = Ben Roethlisberger!

If you run the ball inside the 10 like 80% time, guess what? It becomes a habit the other team is hip too.

In my best Herm Edwards tone..."you play to put the game in the hands of your play maker".

drprwnap
12-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Redzone = Redman

If you run the ball inside the 10 like 80% time, guess what? It becomes a habit the other team is hip too.

In my best Herm Edwards tone..."you play to put the game in the hands of your play maker".

Then you need to do two other things:
1. Let Ben call the plays (doesn't have to be no huddle)
2. Give him the best players to be successful. That means RB (at the goal line) =Redman

Mister Pittsburgh
12-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Redzone = Redman

2. Give him the best players to be successful. That means RB (at the goal line) =Redman

Wes Saunders & Heath should be in the redzone package as well. Spread the opposition out and look for whichever one of those two would have 1-1 coverage. Saunders can be a flippin' beast if they would wise up and use him.

flippy
12-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Exactly, give Ben some combo of Redman/Moore + Saunders + Heath + Ward/Cotchery + Wallace/Brown.

Keep DJ, Mendy, extra Olinemen off the field in the RedZone. Give Ben the best playmakers. Redman/Moore are better options for tough yards and catching passing in the RedZone. Saunder should be the uncoverable guy. Hines and Cotchery are crafty. Wallace and Brown are speedy. And Heath can be lined up all over the place and can be the most flexible option for Ben.

drprwnap
12-15-2011, 01:56 PM
[quote=flippy]Redzone = Redman

Wes Saunders & Heath should be in the redzone package as well. Spread the opposition out and look for whichever one of those two would have 1-1 coverage. Saunders can be a flippin' beast if they would wise up and use him.[/quote:2p1dsltl]

BINGO! I still can't understand why all teams want to bring in extra TE's, bunch everyone up at the LOS, and run up the middle. THRER ARE NO NATURAL GAPS TO RUN TO. IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE! I remember a couple of years ago watch Dallas on Thanksgiving line up at the goal line with 2 wides and a man in the slot. They ran a trap and the hole was so big a truck could drove through it. Maybe someone with more knowledge of coaching football could explain this............... :?:

WindyCitySteel
12-15-2011, 02:05 PM
These are all good ideas, but we all know what Toml-ians will do. They'll simply say "execute better".

pick6
12-15-2011, 02:14 PM
These are great points, I guess I'm not as down on DJ as a lot of people. But what I would add is that I hope we start to think more about scoring from further out than the 2-3 yard line. Not that we cant score from close but I hope we have packages that attack the end zone from a distance. Also I understand that this has a lot to do with how players play, ie. notice how Brown and Wallace are putting forth great effort, with measurable success, to take a simple catch and get it in the end zone with individual hustle. When you have 2-3 guys on offense who can take it to the house at any given time that's dangerous. I just don't want us to get bogged down once the field gets short and I know this will take practice and focus of mind from Tomlin to the long snapper.

Mendenhall in the flat isolated against a linebacker in space, a defensive coordinators nightmare. I'm just sayin.

Slapstick
12-15-2011, 03:56 PM
These are all good ideas, but we all know what Toml-ians will do. They'll simply say "execute better".

It's a simple solution that would work beautifully...

Simple solutions are usually the best...

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2011, 05:13 PM
These are great points, I guess I'm not as down on DJ as a lot of people. But what I would add is that I hope we start to think more about scoring from further out than the 2-3 yard line. Not that we cant score from close but I hope we have packages that attack the end zone from a distance. Also I understand that this has a lot to do with how players play, ie. notice how Brown and Wallace are putting forth great effort, with measurable success, to take a simple catch and get it in the end zone with individual hustle. When you have 2-3 guys on offense who can take it to the house at any given time that's dangerous. I just don't want us to get bogged down once the field gets short and I know this will take practice and focus of mind from Tomlin to the long snapper.

Mendenhall in the flat isolated against a linebacker in space, a defensive coordinators nightmare. I'm just sayin.

If we have trouble scoring from in close, and would do better from further away, I'm sure the OL would be happy to oblige with false starts, holding penalties, and QB sacks that will move us back so we aren't so darn close to that goal line. :wink:

Chadman
12-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Get the ball to Trai Essex more often in the Red Zone- dude would be unstoppable...

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Get the ball to Trai Essex more often in the Red Zone- dude would be unstoppable...

Give the ball...

To MEN-DEN-*ahem!*...TRAI ESSEX!!!

fezziwig
12-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Wish all you want but, there's a stone wall infront of any aspirations of yours or the horsepower this team could be producing and that stone wall is named, Bruce Arians.

pick6
12-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Wish all you want but, there's a stone wall infront of any aspirations of yours or the horsepower this team could be producing and that stone wall is named, Bruce Arians.

I don't know, Arains the Bruce has this offense kinda moving this year. Our execution hasn't always been the best but we have moved the ball with ease between the 20's except for the first game. Its even getting to the point that Im not complaining about the fricking empty set. And he even has the whole league using it on 2nd and 1. The guy is a revolutionary, his vision is beyond us.

But seriously, I hope we are working on the red zone offense... Im going to up it to 85% of practice time. The remainder can go 3rd down situations. Then they can go home.

fezziwig
12-15-2011, 11:10 PM
I can't deny, we move the ball between the 20's.