PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Batch preparing for possible start

hawaiiansteel
12-15-2011, 01:37 AM
Steelers' Batch preparing for possible start

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, December 15, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-12-14/1215SteelBatchCAP-b.jpg

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger limped noticeably Wednesday at the team's practice facility, and the quarterback did not address reporters — and their inevitable questions about whether his left ankle will be well enough for him to play Monday night in San Francisco.

Charlie Batch said he expects to start if Roethlisberger is unable to play, a little less than two weeks after sustaining a high-ankle sprain in a 14-3 win over the Browns.

"Being that the game is on Monday, it wouldn't surprise me if I found out on Monday," Batch said.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said yesterday during a conference call with San Francisco reporters that Roethlisberger "can be ready to play on a limited number of snaps. We're always going to be optimistic when it comes to Ben."

Batch came off the bench last Thursday after Roethlisberger got hurt and played the final six minutes of the second quarter. He misfired on both of his pass attempts.

>> Strong safety Troy Polamalu didn't practice Wednesday, but it looks like the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year will be OK for the San Francisco game. Tomlin said Tuesday that Polamalu questionable to play against the 49ers because of a hamstring injury. "It feels good," Polamalu said.

>> Clark heaped praise on Jason Worilds on Wednesday, saying the second-year linebacker has helped hold the Steelers' linebackers corps together. The Steelers have been hit with injuries at the position, and they will be without the suspended James Harrison in San Francisco.

"The biggest thing is the play of Jason Worilds," Clark said. "Jason has been able to come in and play extremely well, definitely showing that he was deserving to be a high draft pick last year."

>> Emmanuel Sanders is hoping to play Monday night, but Dec. 24 is a more realistic return date for the second-year wide receiver. Sanders has missed three of the past five games because of knee and foot injuries.

"As long as I'm 100 (percent) by the playoffs, then it's going to be a good thing," Sanders said. "I've got to be out there mentally strong and not thinking about my injury. Until I can get back to that, I really don't need to be out there."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1gZhwJDiM (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_772067.html#ixzz1gZhwJDiM)

Steelers>NFL
12-15-2011, 09:15 AM
I was always a big Batch supporter as a back up QB. But, seems lately he has not been very good or effective.
Could be a long night come Monday.

Slapstick
12-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Batch never plays...don't judge him on the few snaps he took Thursday...

Last year, he played well enough to win...I believe that he can do the same in SF with some actual practice reps and not coming in cold for one series...

Mister Pittsburgh
12-15-2011, 11:00 AM
There is no way in heck that anyone can tell me that starting Charlie Batch gives us a better chance to win vs. a 10-3 team then creating a gameplan in 10 days for Dennis Dixon and starting him.

WindyCitySteel
12-15-2011, 11:09 AM
If Balt wins and we clinch on Sunday because of other teams losing, empty the bench and give Roger and the NFL the biggest Monday Night sh!t sandwich ever. I want people watching HGTV instead of that game.

MeetJoeGreene
12-15-2011, 12:31 PM
There is no way in heck that anyone can tell me that starting Charlie Batch gives us a better chance to win vs. a 10-3 team then creating a gameplan in 10 days for Dennis Dixon and starting him.

You are assuming that Arians would create a gameplan to take advantage of Dixon?

Slapstick
12-15-2011, 12:36 PM

Dennis Dixon is no Tim Tebow...

Mister Pittsburgh
12-15-2011, 12:53 PM
If Batch is the starter and plays the whole game he will be sacked a MINIMUM of 6 times and there will be no running game to help him out. There wasn't a running game to speak of anyway and with him at QB they will load the box and blitz the crap out of him.

And, if he does get sacked 6 times he will guaranteed get injured and Dixon will be in there anyway, but without having a gameplan created around his skill set.

And, you guys are right, Arians wouldn't design a gameplan round him anyway, so.....not looking good. If Dixon isn't capable of being the #1 backup I have no idea why they even have him on the team. If they bring him back next season they need a sanity evaluator brought down to the southside complex.

fezziwig
12-15-2011, 04:04 PM
I have no problem with Batch as the starter as long as he is getting his practice time in currently. If Ben doesn't start and I think he will, I wonder if they'll have Dixon prepared also ?
We did a decent job with Batch the first three games of last season and I think Charlie still has something to offer if they game plan for him towards his strengths.

It's all a moot point because Ben will play in the SF game.

Steelerphile
12-15-2011, 04:48 PM

I don't think they have to create a gameplan specifically for Dixon. I'm pretty sure he can do the whole playbook by this point. I think he has as much passing ability as Batch myself, but the plays would just look different because, he would have escapability and the chance to adlib for yardage if the receivers are not open.

papillon
12-15-2011, 04:55 PM

I agree with this 100%; Charlie is an emergency quarterback at this point. Give Dixon the opportunity to play, he's more athletic and isn't a stationary target. Plus, maybe, he looks good and another team offers us something for him. Charlie isn't the answer this week, IMO.

Pappy

fezziwig
12-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Not to start a war with you guys but I don't think Dixon has what it takes or will ever have what it takes to be a NFL quarterback or a go to guy backup. He has no accuracy, doesn't read his check downs and has happy feet that gets him no where.
If he is capable of check downs he still gets happy feet and runs first.
I have never cared for running quarterbacks, that's the backfields job. Ben scrambles to gain more time or to allow a play to develope, Dixon and others are looking for somewhere to run.

Batch has it all over Dixon. Granted, our o-line better give Batch the protection.

In any event BA better map out a dink and dunk passing game for these two guys and not only for the passing attack but, a dink and dunk passing game may also need to be our running game if SF stops our running game.

And to think I thought this game was an automatic win when the schedule came out.

MaxAMillion
12-15-2011, 05:50 PM
If Batch is the starter and plays the whole game he will be sacked a MINIMUM of 6 times and there will be no running game to help him out. There wasn't a running game to speak of anyway and with him at QB they will load the box and blitz the crap out of him.

And, if he does get sacked 6 times he will guaranteed get injured and Dixon will be in there anyway, but without having a gameplan created around his skill set.

And, you guys are right, Arians wouldn't design a gameplan round him anyway, so.....not looking good. If Dixon isn't capable of being the #1 backup I have no idea why they even have him on the team. If they bring him back next season they need a sanity evaluator brought down to the southside complex.

Dixon is on the team because Leftwich is hurt. If Lefty was healthy there would be no discussion. We are down to our third string QB if Ben is hurt. How many teams can win with a 3rd string QB on the road against the Niners? The answer is not many.

Don't worry, Dixon won't be back next year because he ain't that good.

fezziwig
12-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Max, I totally agree. I do have a feeling the Steelers will let Lefty go after this season since his injuries seem to be more on the plus side than the negative side.
Possibly bring in another QB that used to be a starter like Charlie used to be and then pickup a receiver for the third team through the draft.

Steelerphile
12-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Not to start a war with you guys but I don't think Dixon has what it takes or will ever have what it takes to be a NFL quarterback or a go to guy backup. He has no accuracy, doesn't read his check downs and has happy feet that gets him no where.
I have never cared for running quarterbacks, that's the backfields job. Ben scrambles to gain more time or to allow a play to develope, Dixon and others are looking for somewhere to run.

Batch has it all over Dixon. Granted, our o-line better give Batch the protection.

In any event BA better map out a dink and dunk passing game for these two guys and not only for the passing attack but, a dink and dunk passing game may also need to be our running game if SF stops our running game.

And to think I thought this game was an automatic win when the schedule came out.

Not to continue the war, but Batch doesn't have anything over Dixon. You're too hung up on the "running quarterback" stuff and it biases your thinking. Dixon completed 68% of his passes in college and in the limited opportunities he has had in the NFL he has passed at the same level as Batch. He is a capable passer who has athletic ability, which is a good thing. I don't like his rail thin build but I think Dixon has it over Batch, especially a 36-year old Batch. Just because the guy hasn't played much doesn't mean he couldn't do the job.

steelblood
12-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Charlie isn't likely to win us the game with his play.
Dixon quite possibly could lose us the game with his play.

I'd say Dixon has the most upside and downside if we play him. But, I suppose it doesn't matter because the STeelers look likely to go with Batch.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-16-2011, 05:11 PM
I say ... have Batch and Dixon in the backfield ON EVERY PLAY.

Batch can look at the defense, decide whether to call Wildcat to Dixon, run to Mendy/Red, or get the ball hiked to him for a "normal" play.

Though this pushes the envelope of creativity, I'm sure it's something any halfway competent offensive coordinator can pull off!

:shock:

fezziwig
12-16-2011, 05:12 PM

Not to continue the war, but Batch doesn't have anything over Dixon. You're too hung up on the "running quarterback" stuff and it biases your thinking. Dixon completed 68% of his passes in college and in the limited opportunities he has had in the NFL he has passed at the same level as Batch. He is a capable passer who has athletic ability, which is a good thing. I don't like his rail thin build but I think Dixon has it over Batch, especially a 36-year old Batch. Just because the guy hasn't played much doesn't mean he couldn't do the job.

Batch has the experience over him and I feel he is a more accurate passer and less chances of him getting rattled. I do hope your right that Dixon is better than Batch because we can't keep Batch as our backup for ever.

Guys like Dixon are a dime a dozen in this league. Batch had some years as a starter and granted, not on a very good team but just the same, I would rather see Batch because Dixon doesn't have it.

Agree to disagree I guess.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Though this pushes the envelope of creativity, I'm sure it's something any halfway competent offensive coordinator can pull off!

When is the halfway competent offensive coordinator going to show up? :P

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-16-2011, 05:15 PM

Batch has the experience over him and I feel he is a more accurate passer and less chances of him getting rattled. I do hope your right that Dixon is better than Batch because we can't keep Batch as our backup for ever.

Guys like Dixon are a dime a dozen in this league. Batch had some years as a starter and granted, not on a very good team but just the same, I would rather see Batch because Dixon doesn't have it.

Mark my words, if Ben doesn't play, we're going to see both back up QBs on the field Monday night ... :cry: :(

fezziwig
12-16-2011, 05:17 PM

When is the halfway competent offensive coordinator going to show up? :P

They haven't hired him yet.

fezziwig
12-16-2011, 05:19 PM

Mark my words, if Ben doesn't play, we're going to see both back up QBs on the field Monday night ... :cry: :(

Will the Steelers bring their own stretchers or do the home teams supply them ?

pittpete
12-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Charlie moved kind of like this guy against the Browns
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071214173749/familyguy/images/4/4a/Seamus1.JPG

SteelAbility
12-16-2011, 10:34 PM
The Steelers' best chance for this game and for the playoffs is for Ben to start with the same offensive plan we saw against Tennessee and New England with lots of quick passes to make the D backoff so the occasional longer play can be more effective. Turn a negative into a positive. Maybe seeing it work a third time will finally translate into a lesson learned.

sd steel
12-17-2011, 12:53 AM

Dixon is on the team because Leftwich is hurt. If Lefty was healthy there would be no discussion. We are down to our third string QB if Ben is hurt. How many teams can win with a 3rd string QB on the road against the Niners? The answer is not many.

The truth is Batch wouldn't be on the team if it wasn't for Byron's injury, he was retiring to run his charity.

fezziwig
12-17-2011, 11:38 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":9kwj5h8e]If Batch is the starter and plays the whole game he will be sacked a MINIMUM of 6 times and there will be no running game to help him out. There wasn't a running game to speak of anyway and with him at QB they will load the box and blitz the crap out of him.

The truth is Batch wouldn't be on the team if it wasn't for Byron's injury, he was retiring to run his charity.[/quote:9kwj5h8e]

Is that what Charlie said or just your hunch ? I kind of remember Batch was insulted when people thought his time was over and that he was no longer a capable backup.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Batch had to come back. Dude went bankrupt.

sd steel
12-17-2011, 01:38 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":3hgc4ofe]If Batch is the starter and plays the whole game he will be sacked a MINIMUM of 6 times and there will be no running game to help him out. There wasn't a running game to speak of anyway and with him at QB they will load the box and blitz the crap out of him.

The truth is Batch wouldn't be on the team if it wasn't for Byron's injury, he was retiring to run his charity.

Is that what Charlie said or just your hunch ? I kind of remember Batch was insulted when people thought his time was over and that he was no longer a capable backup.[/quote:3hgc4ofe]

Dixon was 3rd, Charlie was out.

fezziwig
12-17-2011, 01:59 PM
[quote=MaxAMillion][quote="Mister Pittsburgh":1wx8l37w]If Batch is the starter and plays the whole game he will be sacked a MINIMUM of 6 times and there will be no running game to help him out. There wasn't a running game to speak of anyway and with him at QB they will load the box and blitz the crap out of him.

Is that what Charlie said or just your hunch ? I kind of remember Batch was insulted when people thought his time was over and that he was no longer a capable backup.[/quote:1wx8l37w]

Dixon was 3rd, Charlie was out.[/quote:1wx8l37w]

Was that officially annouced at one time ?

sd steel
12-17-2011, 03:19 PM
I thought it was, but after looking through a bunch of the QB news from August it is harder to tell. It looked as if the Steelers could have been show casing Dixon for a trade in the preseason, or they were going to get him to be ready to be the 3rd, and let go of the 36 year old Batch, but then Byron got injured and they both made the roster. So I guess I was stating what I thought was going to happen because it was uncertain before the injury to Byron. Sorry.

fezziwig
12-17-2011, 04:04 PM
The more I read your postings I'm begining to think Dixon may just end up being here next season over Btach. With Dixon being younger and knowing the offense better than anyone that they could possibly bring in next year. Dixon with his knowledge and youth would be the safer bet.
Byron would be a good backup but he too seems to be a glass house but , some of that could be written off as bad luck / timing or what have you.

Someone mentioned Batch and his money problems may lobby to remain with the Steelers or possibly move onto another team if the circumstances work his way.

Talking about the Steelers using Dixon as trade bait or a trade deal, does he have enough on his resume that teams would want him ? What distinguishes him over other quarterbacks or backup quarterbacks ?

MaxAMillion
12-17-2011, 07:47 PM
The more I read your postings I'm begining to think Dixon may just end up being here next season over Btach. With Dixon being younger and knowing the offense better than anyone that they could possibly bring in next year. Dixon with his knowledge and youth would be the safer bet.
Byron would be a good backup but he too seems to be a glass house but , some of that could be written off as bad luck / timing or what have you.

Someone mentioned Batch and his money problems may lobby to remain with the Steelers or possibly move onto another team if the circumstances work his way.

Talking about the Steelers using Dixon as trade bait or a trade deal, does he have enough on his resume that teams would want him ? What distinguishes him over other quarterbacks or backup quarterbacks ?

I hope the team moves on from Batch and Dixon this off season. I would resign Lefty and tehn try to draft a QB in the 4th or 5th round that can be developed. Batch is too old and Dixon is inaccurate.

I wish Lefty was not hurt. I would feel a lot better about our chances if he was healthy.

fezziwig
12-17-2011, 07:57 PM

I hope the team moves on from Batch and Dixon this off season. I would resign Lefty and tehn try to draft a QB in the 4th or 5th round that can be developed. Batch is too old and Dixon is inaccurate.

I wish Lefty was not hurt. I would feel a lot better about our chances if he was healthy.

x2

Mister Pittsburgh
12-17-2011, 09:27 PM
I had John Skelton in my mock & would of liked to draft him.

pfelix73
12-17-2011, 09:44 PM
I remember discussing some of this when they put Lefty on IR. Lefty could be playing Monday if they would've just left him on the roster and not IR'd him for the season. His injury was a 6-8 week injury at the time he went down.
oh well.
:tt1

sd steel
12-18-2011, 02:43 AM
I have a hard time deciding whether Dixon is really inaccurate or is it just because he hasn't had alot of real game experience. I thought Tebow was innaccurate, but it seems to me the more games he plays the better he gets. In fact I think the inaccurate label creates this self fulfilling prophesy where he is throwing the ball on the money and his receivers are dropping the ball....but then in the 4th quarter that self fulfilling prophesy turns into Tebow Time and he drives and wins.

I think many QB's become who they are because situations like Ben being thrust into action his first year in a game manager position but we were going to live or die with him. Tebow is similar. Denver decided that they were going to use Tebow, built a workable offense around him and let him go. If Dixon were told he is the only choice and he has a season to make it or break it, and they put a "manager" package together based on his strengths he would be a much better QB than he looks like now. Playing under game pressure will normally bring out the best in most good athletes, but playing under the pressure of knowing there is a chance that you are going to be pulled and sit for the rest of the season if you don't move the chains in one or two series' is the kind of pressure that shortens already short careers. imo

Steelerphile
12-18-2011, 06:37 AM
I have a hard time deciding whether Dixon is really inaccurate or is it just because he hasn't had alot of real game experience. I thought Tebow was innaccurate, but it seems to me the more games he plays the better he gets. In fact I think the inaccurate label creates this self fulfilling prophesy where he is throwing the ball on the money and his receivers are dropping the ball....but then in the 4th quarter that self fulfilling prophesy turns into Tebow Time and he drives and wins.

I think many QB's become who they are because situations like Ben being thrust into action his first year in a game manager position but we were going to live or die with him. Tebow is similar. Denver decided that they were going to use Tebow, built a workable offense around him and let him go. If Dixon were told he is the only choice and he has a season to make it or break it, and they put a "manager" package together based on his strengths he would be a much better QB than he looks like now. Playing under game pressure will normally bring out the best in most good athletes, but playing under the pressure of knowing there is a chance that you are going to be pulled and sit for the rest of the season if you don't move the chains in one or two series' is the kind of pressure that shortens already short careers. imo

I think these are some of the wisest words I have read on here concerning Dixon. But the tendency of the fans is to make quick assessments and then dismiss a guy by calling him a "bust" or say he "sucks".

A player has got to get some time in real games for his best qualities to begin to surface. People credit Batch most of the time for those 3 wins last season while Ben was suspended. They seem to forget that Dixon started and finished and won the opener with Atlanta, with Matt Ryan at QB. Dixon did start a little slow but he heated up in the second half and was passing accurately. He completed 68% of his passes that game. He started the 2nd game and was not playing poorly before he got injured.

The story seems to be that if Batch plays he won't mistakes, whereas Dixon is more prone to mistakes. I am not sure if I agree with that either. In the fourth game last season, which the Steelers lost, Batch threw a couple of INTS. He is capable of throwing INTS. He is also capable of getting blitzed and losing the ball while being tackled.

It's not like I expect miracles from either one, whoever plays in SF. If Dixon played, I don't think he should try to impress everyone with his ability to pass right away. Take some safe passes and take the run if it is there. Get comfortable first and then I think his passing skills, which I do believe he possesses, could start to click.

I think Dixon has more passing ability than Tebow, overall. Even Tebow looks good at times throwing. I wish he had more of Tebow's strength, then I think he would be a really good #2, and a possible candidate for a starter somewhere.

Steelerphile
12-18-2011, 07:15 AM
Just want to make a few corrections to the prior post. Batch threw a total of 3 INTs last year. He threw two against TB but the Steelers won 38-13. He threw one against Baltimore and the Steelers lost 17-14. He was sacked and fumbled twice against Tennessee but the Steelers did not lose the ball.

So the idea that Batch would never make a mistake if he played is not factual.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Dixon end up playing the Baltimore game?

Steelerphile
12-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Dixon end up playing the Baltimore game?

Last year 2010, Batch started against Baltimore. In 2009, Dixon started. It was his frst start and the Steelers also lost. He was 12-26 for 145 yds. Threw a nice TD pass to Tone, had a nice 37 yard rushing TD but threw a killer int in OT that led to Ravens win. But the Steelers had a good chance to win that one.

hawaiiansteel
12-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Ben’s status could hinge on tonight’s game

Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/b-roethblow.jpg?w=250

Officially listed as questionable for Monday night’s game with a Grade 1 high ankle sprain, the availability of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger remains up in the air.

Per a league source, the decision as to Roethlisberger could hinge on the outcome of tonight’s game between the Ravens and the Chargers. If the 10-3 Ravens win, moving a game closer to the AFC North title that they’d win even if tied with the Steelers (thanks to a head-to-head sweep of Baltimore over Pittsburgh), the Steelers will be more likely to rest Roethlisberger. If, on the other hand, the Ravens lose the Steelers will be more likely to play Roethlisberger, given the opportunity to seize control of the division.

The decision to scratch center Maurkice Pouncey, who we’re told tried desperately to persuade the powers-that-be to let him play, came from a desire to ensure that Pouncey will be healed for the postseason. Under that reasoning, the Steelers could be inclined to rest Roethlisberger, too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ghts-game/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/18/bens-status-could-hinge-on-tonights-game/)

Shoe
12-19-2011, 12:17 AM
To be totally honest, our backups blow. Two of them are hasbeens who are only "serviceable" at their best, and the other one simply is a neverwas.

In terms of Leftwich & Batch, they both make you hold your breath every time they drop back to pass. And it's not even necessarily because you think they're gonna throw a pick or something. You're worried that they'll break a hip, or break anything when someone touches them.

They need to drink more milk or something, more calcium for their bones.

sd steel
12-19-2011, 12:25 AM
To be totally honest, our backups blow. Two of them are hasbeens who are only "serviceable" at their best, and the other one simply is a neverwas.

In terms of Leftwich & Batch, they both make you hold your breath every time they drop back to pass. And it's not even necessarily because you think they're gonna throw a pick or something. You're worried that they'll break a hip, or break anything when someone touches them.

:Agree

MaxAMillion
12-19-2011, 12:37 AM

How many teams have back up QB's better than what the Steelers have? Hell, there are not 32 quality starting quarterbacks so it stands to reason that the back up QB won't be that good.

I think Lefty is a good QB if he only has to play a game or two. Once he plays more than that, his issues and weaknesses start to show. I would like to see Lefty throwing downfield to our speedy WR. Batch doesn't have the arm to stretch the defense (another reason why I think the Steelers lose if he has to play).

Flasteel
12-19-2011, 01:16 AM
Report: Roethlisberger expected to start Monday night
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 19, 2011, 12:00 AM EST

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/b-roethlisbergerfinger.jpg?w=250
The Steelers-49ers game already felt like a big game.

It feels even bigger after Baltimore’s loss on Sunday night. The Steelers now have a great chance to be the No. 1 seed, and it sounds like they’ll have their franchise quarterback behind center for the game.

Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Ben Roethlisberger is fully expected to start after showing enough in practice Saturday.

“He’s good enough to go,” a source told Dulac.

Florio reported earlier Sunday that the Ravens’ result could play a role in Big Ben’s status. With a playoff bye now on the line, it sounds safe to expect Roethlisberger will be out there against San Francisco

Shoe
12-19-2011, 01:21 AM

How many teams have back up QB's better than what the Steelers have? Hell, there are not 32 quality starting quarterbacks so it stands to reason that the back up QB won't be that good.

I think Lefty is a good QB if he only has to play a game or two. Once he plays more than that, his issues and weaknesses start to show. I would like to see Lefty throwing downfield to our speedy WR. Batch doesn't have the arm to stretch the defense (another reason why I think the Steelers lose if he has to play).

But better isn't even the issue. They (Lefty/Batch) may be marginally better than the average NFL backup. But they're so brittle, it's ridiculous. They fall down, and break their wrist. They get tackled, and their collarbone breaks. There has to be some level of dependability with your backups, if nothing else, then knowing they won't get hurt because of a stiff wind pinches a nerve in their neck.

RuthlessBurgher
12-19-2011, 11:19 AM

But better isn't even the issue. They (Lefty/Batch) may be marginally better than the average NFL backup. But they're so brittle, it's ridiculous. They fall down, and break their wrist. They get tackled, and their collarbone breaks. There has to be some level of dependability with your backups, if nothing else, then knowing they won't get hurt because of a stiff wind pinches a nerve in their neck.

It's weird how that works, though, when the backup gets thrown into the fire...it seems like they are more prone to injury right off the bat. Didn't Leinart break his collarbone on his first series after replacing Schaub as the starter? Didn't Kyle Orton break his finger on his first pass at a Chief a few weeks ago?