PDA

View Full Version : An early mock draft 12-14-11

steelblood
12-14-2011, 08:28 AM
1. Mark Barron S Alabama (6'2, 218). As Dee Dub says, the top Guards and top NT will likely be gone. Barron can play either safety spot. He is probably a more natural SS, but he would be an upgrade over Ryan Clark at FS. He is smart, big, and physical. He is good in space and coverage (10 career interceptions). One thing that may give the Steelers pause is that he may have lied to police about his knowledge of a petty crime.

2. Dwight Jones WR N Carolina (6'4, 225). This is a very deep WR draft. Some players will fall more than they normally would. I'm hoping Jones is one of those players. In a weak WR class, he'd probably be a top 45 prospect. But, maybe he lasts another 10 or 15 spots until the Steelers pick. Jones would replace Ward and/or Cotchery as the physical, over the middle WR. Jones has a great burst for his size, excellent strength and can rack up the RAC.

3. Matt Reynolds OT BYU (6'5, 310). Reynolds is very durable, tough, mature, and smart. He was a college LT, but he would make an excellent LG in our system. He would be a huge upgrade as a pass blocker and would be effective pulling. Reynolds is athletic enough to play any position on the offensive line in a pinch. He is a high character guy with a great football IQ who would excel next to Pouncey.

4. Emmanuel Acho ILB Texas (6'2 245). We may lose Farrior and Foote next season in cost cutting moves. Acho is very productive on an underperforming defense. He could still be available this late.

5. Tank Carder ILB TCU (6'3 235). Carder will be a fantastic special teams player and a good nickel linebacker. Will help relieve loss of Foote and Farrior.

6. Adonis Thomas RB Toledo (5'9, 185). I know, I know. You don't want a 185 pound running back. But, have you ever seen him play? He is electric. He has perhaps the best lateral agility in all of college football. Thomas also is an accomplished inside runner. He could be a great threat as a change of pace, in our no huddle, as a returner, and as a third down back. Barron Batch is a great kid, but he has a long injury history and may never be healthy. Moore will likely be cut in a cost cutting move.

7. Brandon Bullock NT Marshall (6'3, 361). I have watched this cat play a few times. He is inconsistent, but he can be dominate as he was at times vs WVU. He needs to get better conditioned and work on his technique. I think he could be very effective as a two down run stuffer after working with coach Mitchell. He has enough athleticism and raw strength to be a starter.