PDA

View Full Version : I can honestly say...

Discipline of Steel
12-12-2011, 10:18 PM
i am watching a lot less fotball this year. Used to be i wouldnt miss a game between 3 on sunday and monday night. Now they come and go and sometimes i dont even check the scores. I think the reason is both the pussification of the league and the freakin media glorifying offensive players for every move they make. Aaron Rodgers is now the best of all time after 1 1/2 seasons of success. Next year there will be a new best of all time, the league is disgusting in this way.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-12-2011, 10:29 PM
i am watching a lot less fotball this year. Used to be i wouldnt miss a game between 3 on sunday and monday night. Now they come and go and sometimes i dont even check the scores. I think the reason is both the pussification of the league and the freakin media glorifying offensive players for every move they make. Aaron Rodgers is now the best of all time after 1 1/2 seasons of success. Next year there will be a new best of all time, the league is disgusting in this way.

Discipline, I agree 100%. Not watching as much this year either.

Discipline of Steel
12-12-2011, 10:36 PM

Discipline, I agree 100%. Not watching as much this year either.

On the bright side, Ive been reading more books :)

http://www.amazon.com/Steelers-Team-Dec ... 0812908430 (http://www.amazon.com/Steelers-Team-Decade-Lou-Sahadi/dp/images/0812908430)

PS I met Lou Sahadi and he signed my copy. Oh the glory days....

flippy
12-13-2011, 07:23 AM
More reading...

Less football...

Does not compute....

Seriously, the game is becoming more like the NBA. Last team with the ball wins. And I couldn't watch more than 2 minutes of last night's game which was painful.

First the pussification of the NFL, next the board is reading books.....

Anyone wanna join my knitting club?

Discipline of Steel
12-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Seriously, the game is becoming more like the NBA. Last team with the ball wins. And I couldn't watch more than 2 minutes of last night's game which was painful.

Reading is mentally stimulating. Todays NFL is not. I didnt even think about last nights game, who won? Who played? Inequities between O and D and the fining of players just pisses me off. My intent for next Monday night's game is to watch on TV but listen on WDVE, at least its not such a media slobberfest there. Disgusting.

flippy
12-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Seattle over St Louis. Awful matchup.

Re: the announcers, they could do a better job with better announcers across the NFL. It does make a difference in the game if the announcer is good and can tell me things I can't see for myself on tv.

I like Collinsworth and Dierdorf games. Those 2 guys consistently enhance most games with insightful info. Don't get me wrong, they both get on my nerves, but they always add a little value. And it makes me think the NFL could put out a better product if they had more insightful people talking about the game while we were watching.

Tell me what's happening that I can't see on the tv. Seems simple, but most of these announcers just don't seem to get it.

But then when I hear Dierdorf, I know the NFL/Networks must have some control over what they say. Cause Dierdorf spends more time than anyone other than Joe Theismann calling every player the next coming of Tim Tebow. And I know he sometimes adds tremendous insight so he must be forced into the hype game.

feltdizz
12-13-2011, 09:47 AM
On digital air they show games without the broadcasters talking on Fox 18.2 for college and baseball. I put on a college football game with just the crowd noise and the bands playing and my wife had more fun watching because of the sounds of the game. Broadcasters are there to spin the game.

I find myself turning the channel if the Steelers aren't on. DAL vs NYG is a game I would usually watch but I had no interest. I really think the NFL regular season ratings have taken a hit. It's no fun watching flags fly every other play while broadcasters try to tell me a clean hit is dirty.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-13-2011, 11:45 AM

Reading is mentally stimulating. Todays NFL is not. I didnt even think about last nights game, who won? Who played? Inequities between O and D and the fining of players just pisses me off. My intent for next Monday night's game is to watch on TV but listen on WDVE, at least its not such a media slobberfest there. Disgusting.

It's been a year since I watched the Steelers with the TV sound on.

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/radio-show.html

Even with the sometimes up to 1 play worth of delay between TV and radio, it is SOOOOO worth it. Tunch. Hillgrove. And Wolf on the sideline.

RuthlessBurgher
12-13-2011, 01:33 PM
More reading...

Less football...

Does not compute....

Knit us all black-and-gold straightjackets, flip...I think we are all going to need them soon. :wink:

WindyCitySteel
12-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Gonna only get worse. Goodell is pursuing a team in Europe, a SB in Europe, eliminating kickoffs, the three point stance...it's going to be 100% International Arena Football by 2025.

I'm already starting to get into hockey a lot more. Watched a game on Monday instead of football, which I wouldn't have thought of doing ten years ago.

papillon
12-14-2011, 12:48 PM
More reading...

Less football...

Does not compute....

No to the knitting, but we can try crocheting. :tt2

Pappy

fezziwig
12-14-2011, 01:03 PM
I agree with you guys, something has been lost with the NFL. For those of you that did not watch or old enough before free agency to me, those days were the best. They were teams in every sense of the word.
Not only did you know all your players, jersey numbers and their background, you knew the other teams as well.

The media didn't go as overboard as today, the NFL did not control with an iron fist and the players seemed to be tougher, no crying and antics that go along with some. I'm glossing over some stuff but to me, it was much better.

And whomever said the NFL is more NBA and the team with the ball at the end of the game usually wins, don't know how true that is but it sure seems that way.

WindyCitySteel
12-14-2011, 01:30 PM
no crying and antics that go along with some.

Super Bowl X, Lynn Swann makes the iconic catch where he tips the ball at its highest point, and then comes to the ground to make the catch we've all seen in photographs a thousand times.

Stallworth helps him up, they walk back to the huddle.

I can't imagine the unbridled assclownery that would accompany such a play today, both from the player(s) involved and the media. Antonio Brown has to flex every time he makes a ten yard catch.

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2011, 01:38 PM
More reading...

Less football...

Does not compute....

No to the knitting, but we can try crocheting. :tt2

Pappy

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo545csMVU1qimxvbo1_500.jpg

Because you macramed yourself a pair of jean shorts. :mrgreen:

fezziwig
12-14-2011, 01:39 PM
I wasn't thrilled that we lost Santonio Holmes but if there was some up side to it I, no longer had to hear him say, " its time to be great" What bothered me the most about him was he would point with the ball and then drop it. That would bother me and many times the ref was standing right there and would need to pick up the ball. Santonio would sometimes run 10 yards after his catch, after the play to do his little look at me thing. He would do that when the clock would be running and they would need to line up in a hurry. He's a real me guy and I dislike me guys.

Now I have to watch Antonio do pretty much the same thing. I hate stuff like that. You have a job your getting paid for, the team helped you accomplish your goal now act like a proffesional.

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2011, 01:42 PM
I hate when guys point to the nameplate on the back of their jersey repeatedly.

In my mind, that's like saying screw the team, it's all about me.

fezziwig
12-14-2011, 01:52 PM
ha, ha ! nameplate. I never heard anyone call it that.

How would these guys react if they only had numbers on their jersey ? I wonder why the NFL/sport teams feel the need to put names on a jersey ? It's really not needed.

Steelers>NFL
12-14-2011, 02:24 PM
I wasn't thrilled that we lost Santonio Holmes but if there was some up side to it I, no longer had to hear him say, " its time to be great" What bothered me the most about him was he would point with the ball and then drop it. That would bother me and many times the ref was standing right there and would need to pick up the ball. Santonio would sometimes run 10 yards after his catch, after the play to do his little look at me thing. He would do that when the clock would be running and they would need to line up in a hurry. He's a real me guy and I dislike me guys.

Now I have to watch Antonio do pretty much the same thing. I hate stuff like that. You have a job your getting paid for, the team helped you accomplish your goal now act like a proffesional.
Exactly my thoughts! Love AB. But this first down crap has got to STOP!

flippy
12-14-2011, 04:56 PM

Super Bowl X, Lynn Swann makes the iconic catch where he tips the ball at its highest point, and then comes to the ground to make the catch we've all seen in photographs a thousand times.

I can't imagine the unbridled assclownery that would accompany such a play today, both from the player(s) involved and the media. Antonio Brown has to flex every time he makes a ten yard catch.

Goodell should crack down on the assclownery. Nice word.

Assclowns should get suspended.

In fact, James Harrison should be allowed to hit any assclown with the crown of his helmet.

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2011, 04:59 PM

Goodell should crack down on the assclownery. Nice word.

Assclowns should get suspended.

In fact, James Harrison should be allowed to hit any assclown with the crown of his helmet.

Has assclownery now surpassed douchebaggery on the board's list of creative insults?

fezziwig
12-14-2011, 05:44 PM
It has my vote

feltdizz
12-14-2011, 06:58 PM
I have no problem with the celebrations after 1st downs. Do you guys hate the Woodley kick too? The Keisel whatever he does or the Ben point after TD's? Heck, why not cut Keisels beard while we are at it. That isn't professional and its nothing more than a marketing ploy. How dare he distinguish himself from the rest of the players. Troys hair needs to go to and he needs to stop doing the cross thing after every play. I'm an Athiest and its unprofessional to do that stuff at work.

How many times have you watched the Ben Yo Sammity Sam highlight after the TD pass in the Denver AFC championship game and told him to act like a professional? That replay burns my britches everytime I see it. What was he thinking being a professional and all.

Gimme a break with the act like you been there before schtick. I just read a story about a kid whose TD was called back in a championship game because he raised his hand on the way to the endzone. He didn't point at anyone or highstep, just raised a fist. The rule is "no celebrating" in HS football.

No celebrating? What's next? No smiling? No cheering on teammates? No one wins because it means someone loses?

I love the AB first down point because it means we moved the chains. The only time these things should be bashed is when a team is down big.

Its a game and these complaints sound very Goodell like. No Fun League indeed.

No name plates? How about no numbers or logos as well.

Discipline of Steel
12-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Gimme a break with the act like you been there before schtick. I just read a story about a kid whose TD was called back in a championship game because he raised his hand on the way to the endzone. He didn't point at anyone or highstep, just raised a fist. The rule is "no celebrating" in HS football.

I was at the kid's football game when his team won their only game of the year. They scored the winning TD in overtime...game over....and the kids massed the field. Ref threw a flag for celebrations and they all stopped for a moment, but when they realized the game was already over, the celebration resumed. The kids were 10 years old give me a break.

fezziwig
12-14-2011, 11:43 PM
I don't care for Kiesels row boat antic. I don't mind Woodleys kick. I hate Ray Lewis's chicken dance.
I think it's refreshing to see Troy make the sign of the cross.
I missed Bens pointing, it must be a subtle gesture. And subtle gestures don't bother me.

Your an athiest ? That means there will be more for me to eat when I go to heaven. Thanks.

SteelTorch
12-15-2011, 12:31 AM
I gotta say, if it weren't for the Steelers, I doubt I'd be watching much football at all now. I just hate the direction the league is going.

Thank God for hockey! That's all I'll say.

feltdizz
12-15-2011, 10:47 AM
I don't care for Kiesels row boat antic. I don't mind Woodleys kick. I hate Ray Lewis's chicken dance.
I missed Bens pointing, it must be a subtle gesture. And subtle gestures don't bother me.

Your an athiest ? That means there will be more for me to eat when I go to heaven. Thanks.

Not an athiest in the least.. just played the part for this thread.

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2011, 11:10 AM

Ben's pointing toward the sky is acknowledging his dead mother.

Keisel's celebrations are ones that I actually enjoy, because he changes 'em up but they are always outdoorsman-related, which is appropriate (rowing the canoe, shooting the arrow, etc.).

WindyCitySteel
12-15-2011, 11:13 AM
I have no problem with the celebrations after 1st downs. Do you guys hate the Woodley kick too? The Keisel whatever he does or the Ben point after TD's? Heck, why not cut Keisels beard while we are at it. That isn't professional and its nothing more than a marketing ploy. How dare he distinguish himself from the rest of the players. Troys hair needs to go to and he needs to stop doing the cross thing after every play. I'm an Athiest and its unprofessional to do that stuff at work.

How many times have you watched the Ben Yo Sammity Sam highlight after the TD pass in the Denver AFC championship game and told him to act like a professional? That replay burns my britches everytime I see it. What was he thinking being a professional and all.

No celebrating? What's next? No smiling? No cheering on teammates? No one wins because it means someone loses?

I love the AB first down point because it means we moved the chains. The only time these things should be bashed is when a team is down big.

Yes, I hate the Woodley kick and the Keisel assclownery. Spontaneous jubilation after a big play is one thing, choreographed dance steps after routine plays gets old.

Oh, and don't get me started on the primal scream...

Were you happy that Santonio's celebration in the Super Bowl almost and should have cost us 15 on the KO? Had he been caught, we may well have lost that game.

But at least he got to espress hisself!

WindyCitySteel
12-15-2011, 11:14 AM
I gotta say, if it weren't for the Steelers, I doubt I'd be watching much football at all now. I just hate the direction the league is going.

Thank God for hockey! That's all I'll say.

:Agree

feltdizz
12-15-2011, 11:24 AM

Yes, I hate the Woodley kick and the Keisel assclownery. Spontaneous jubilation after a big play is one thing, choreographed dance steps after routine plays gets old.

Were you happy that Santonio's celebration in the Super Bowl almost and should have cost us 15 on the KO? Had he been caught, we may well have lost that game.

I thought Santonio was on the sideline on his way back to the bench when he did his celebration.

I was happy that Santonio scored....

WindyCitySteel
12-15-2011, 11:25 AM

I thought Santonio was on the sideline on his way back to the bench when he did his celebration.

Nope, he was in the end zone and began it just as the official turned away. Otherwise, his selfishness, which you happily endorse, would have been very costly.

Team first.

feltdizz
12-15-2011, 11:30 AM

Ben's pointing toward the sky is acknowledging his dead mother.

Keisel's celebrations are ones that I actually enjoy, because he changes 'em up but they are always outdoorsman-related, which is appropriate (rowing the canoe, shooting the arrow, etc.).

Ben also does this to the crowd after scores

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/057/246/105995043_crop_650x440.jpg?1288022669

and it doesn't mean we are going for 2 :wink:

feltdizz
12-15-2011, 11:31 AM

Nope, he was in the end zone and began it just as the official turned away. Otherwise, his selfishness, which you happily endorse, would have been very costly.

Team first.

thank goodness "almost" means just that...

feltdizz
12-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Actually it was well after the play...

However, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said before the Pro Bowl that the NFL competition committee may consider making such celebrations legal if they occur long after a play ends.

"As you know, part of this rule is to avoid having a reaction from opposing players and, from what I could see, only seeing it once, it didn't seem like it was anywhere near that," Goodell said.

That's evil Goodell's words..

...and if you watch the replay Holmes was mobbed by teeamates after the catch.

flippy
12-15-2011, 11:41 AM
celebrating is cool. having a premeditated WWE move that you perform over and over is lame.

pick6
12-15-2011, 12:58 PM
DOS, you speak the truth. Although I'm stilling watching games, I share with you the disgust of the glorification of people. I understand that to some extent its part of the entertainment for many fans, yet all too often they go way overboard with the praise. The Monday night football crew, especially Gruden and Jaws are horrible. To them QBs can do no wrong. The verbal fellatio is sickening at times. I just agree with you.

feltdizz
12-15-2011, 01:05 PM
DOS, you speak the truth. Although I'm stilling watching games, I share with you the disgust of the glorification of people. I understand that to some extent its part of the entertainment for many fans, yet all too often they go way overboard with the praise. The Monday night football crew, especially Gruden and Jaws are horrible. To them QBs can do no wrong. The verbal fellatio is sickening at times. I just agree with you.

what are they supposed to do? Praise the other QB's who aren't playing and ignore the game in front of them?

I expect a former QB to gush over good plays by a QB... I expect a former OL or DB to do the same when it comes to talking about players at their position during a game.

pick6
12-15-2011, 01:34 PM
"Gushing" has no place in football my friend. Gushing is what old ladies do over their new granddaughter. or what ladies do over their new kitchen or bath, or some flowers that were just delivered. Not talking about the game and instead going on and on "gushing" about a single players abstract qualities is boring to a "MAN". And they do it in a whining, irritating voice, which is ok if granny is pinching your whittle bitty cheeks but not football. Man crushes are going to far these days. The next thing you know their going to be talking about how pretty the QBs eyes are and their perfect hair. Man the heck up, son.

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2011, 01:38 PM
"Gushing" has no place in football my friend. Gushing is what old ladies do over their new granddaughter. or what ladies do over their new kitchen or bath, or some flowers that were just delivered. Not talking about the game and instead going on and on "gushing" about a single players abstract qualities is boring to a "MAN". And they do it in a whining, irritating voice, which is ok if granny is pinching your whittle bitty cheeks but not football. Man crushes are going to far these days. The next thing you know their going to be talking about how pretty the QBs eyes are and their perfect hair. Man the heck up, son.

Some of these guys probably have a subscription to "Tiger Beat" (or whatever the teeny bopper magazine of the day is) so they can cut out pictures of "dreamy" Tom Brady to hang up on their bedroom walls. :D

pick6
12-15-2011, 02:43 PM

Some of these guys probably have a subscription to "Tiger Beat" (or whatever the teeny bopper magazine of the day is) so they can cut out pictures of "dreamy" Tom Brady to hang up on their bedroom walls. :D

Hilarious. Don't get me wrong if a guy makes a great play, whoop it up, its fun, its football, that's fine. But if I didn't know any better sometimes I would think that I was watching a dog show, with an overly enthusiastic less than masculine dog judge gushing over the champion poddle "with just the most darling little tale, absolutely marvelous posterior, fabulous bone structure, and sparkling eyes, he's just to die for..." all said with the patented lisp.

Discipline of Steel
12-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Has assclownery now surpassed douchebaggery on the board's list of creative insults?

Maybe but it still doesnt beat douchethuggery! ie Suh kicking the man when he's down.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-15-2011, 04:33 PM
"Gushing" has no place in football my friend. Gushing is what old ladies do over their new granddaughter. or what ladies do over their new kitchen or bath, or some flowers that were just delivered. Not talking about the game and instead going on and on "gushing" about a single players abstract qualities is boring to a "MAN". And they do it in a whining, irritating voice, which is ok if granny is pinching your whittle bitty cheeks but not football. Man crushes are going to far these days. The next thing you know their going to be talking about how pretty the QBs eyes are and their perfect hair. Man the heck up, son. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

feltdizz
12-15-2011, 05:20 PM

You do realize football players wear tight pants, jump on each other, put their hands in guys crotches to get the ball and have a position called Tight End?

Our best defender has a high voice, long curly hair & sells shampoo and our toughest WR won DWTS. :lol:

Oh.. and our team asked Mendenhall to start dancing naked again after he stopped and we went in a slump.

Damn... now that I think about it we may be 1 or 2 degrees from full on rainbow fans.

papillon
12-15-2011, 05:36 PM

Kiesel only shoots his arrow after a sack, not every mundane play he makes, same with Woodley.

Again, a big play worthy of celebration.

I don't like this because it's not original; I don't have a problem with him doing after a first down pick up, but since Santonio created it, AB should find something different to be his mini-celebration. The end zone wiggle rocks.

Pappy

fezziwig
12-15-2011, 05:37 PM
My feelings towards the show boating compared to the excitment after a good play compares to another poster here with, I don't mind the gestures like a clinched fist, a high five, the making the muscle and stuff like that but, when they leap into their dance moves that they practiced is just not what I care for.

For all you that like that kind of stuff I'm glad for you because that is your enjoyment. We don't all like the same cars, music, foods or what have you so I don't see our opinions being any less or better than the next guys.

But I still think the look at me routine is over the top for guys doing their job.

pick6
12-15-2011, 06:17 PM

You do realize football players wear tight pants, jump on each other, put their hands in guys crotches to get the ball and have a position called Tight End?

Our best defender has a high voice, long curly hair & sells shampoo and our toughest WR won DWTS. :lol:

Oh.. and our team asked Mendenhall to start dancing naked again after he stopped and we went in a slump.

Damn... now that I think about it we may be 1 or 2 degrees from full on rainbow fans.

Please don't tell me the nude dancing is true. Come on Mendy. Now the stories about him getting robbed at fist point are starting to ring true. Awesome post though feltdizz.

Discipline of Steel
12-15-2011, 08:54 PM

what are they supposed to do? Praise the other QB's who aren't playing and ignore the game in front of them?

I expect a former QB to gush over good plays by a QB... I expect a former OL or DB to do the same when it comes to talking about players at their position during a game.

Meanwhile the leagues best defensive players are villified for the way they play the game.

Offensive players = Good Guys
Defensive players = Bad Guys

The toughest players are now the league villains. Badasses are being legislated out of the league. WHAT?!? Metrosexual QBs who call for flags on every other play are glorified. COME AGAIN?!?

Im disgusted with it. Football is no longer a man's sport.

fezziwig
12-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Dude you said it perfectly. The goodguys/badguy analogy.
To me Goodell wasn't the right guy for the job. If he so against this game being a contact sport, why did he take the job ?

I can hear Goodell now:

Oh those brutes, I'm going to put an end to all the rough play and make the sport more of a carnival affair.

I would also like the waterboys to offer the men hand sanitizer after each series. Imagine them having dirty hands when they need to touch each other ? Oh well, someday there will be no contact what so ever.
We can figure it all out on the computer on what man is faster, stronger, taller and the math will tell us the winner.