SteelerNation1
12-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Per his twitter. What a joke.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-12-2011, 09:53 PM
ridiculous, if true.

Sugar
12-12-2011, 09:59 PM
If true, he should appeal. IMO, he has a good case.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-12-2011, 10:01 PM
If true, he should appeal. IMO, he has a good case.

Can he play during appeal?

We could use him against SF.

Discipline of Steel
12-12-2011, 10:04 PM
We knew this was going to happen before the season started

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-12-2011, 10:50 PM
The sense in Pittsburgh and around the league is that the NFL will wind up suspending Steelers LB James Harrison on Tuesday morning.

This is the quote from his twitter account. It does not say "inside sources" or "per a league source", it pretty much says that a bunch of people think that he will be suspended. Maybe the people on morning radio, fan message boards etc.......but in no way does it indicate that anyone in the league office has made a decision.

Discipline of Steel
12-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Give up all hope and seek your family. The apocolypse is nigh.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
12-12-2011, 11:20 PM
I'm sorry but the F in NFL is rapidly approaching F(a)G status.

pfelix73
12-12-2011, 11:21 PM
I still say this league needs competition with another league...I'm starting to really hate the NFL...Bunch of pansies.....

:tt1

SteelerNation1
12-12-2011, 11:35 PM
The sense in Pittsburgh and around the league is that the NFL will wind up suspending Steelers LB James Harrison on Tuesday morning.

This is the quote from his twitter account. It does not say "inside sources" or "per a league source", it pretty much says that a bunch of people think that he will be suspended. Maybe the people on morning radio, fan message boards etc.......but in no way does it indicate that anyone in the league office has made a decision.
Schefter is the "inside source." he doesn't float garbage info. I hope he's wrong but he's usually dead on.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
12-12-2011, 11:38 PM
this just in adam shefter played football until he got his a$$ destroyed by someone twice his size and has ever since been on a crusade to "save" the small and weak. There is no place for hitting in this glorious game called football ( at least in americia :wink: ). Throw throw thorow you wonmderful Tommy tom tom!! brokeback? NO THANKS!!!

Pass me a tissue yinz f'in pansie wee todd's across this pansified nation, think the china man is worried about this sheet? Hell no he's working on ways to slaughtwer our...sorry where was I.

:wft

Fire the pollicically incorrect cannpons and damm the torpedoes this is bull$heet and totally unfair. Ben is soiled, the media hates/loves Ward, Harrison was arrested for murder in 2000 and had to plea.... no...was it...no....couldn't be...G(a)y..G(a)y?

James Harrision may not be the most upstanding citizen, ( Ben may not be either ) the world has known but last I checked he has never been arrested for murder has he? If it were not for the national crotch groveling over this wee-tood in tights by the conglomerate media such as ESPN and FOX this guy would be known as the criminal element in the game of football.

HOW THE FU@K CAN ANYONE LIKE RAY LEWIS???

Pi$$

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-12-2011, 11:44 PM
I ask again - does the appeal process allow the player to play until a final determination is made?

Mel Blount's G
12-12-2011, 11:53 PM
I still say this league needs competition with another league...I'm starting to really hate the NFL...Bunch of pansies.....

I've been saying this for about 2 years felix. I am watching less and less of the sport I love because stuff like this really gets to me. Yes, it's true, I shouldn't let it, but it does and I am slowly, gradually losing interest in the game. James Harrison sHould be hailed as one of THE premier linebackers of the last several years. All the great ones before him made their mark doing what he is doing: Playing so ferociously that oppponents actually give up and quit. Not literally of course, but players on the field know when it happens. When an opposing player just wants no part of THAT action and are just punching the clock so to speak. We've heard the sports cliche "Imposing one's will on the opposition". See "James Harrison" for example "A". Nobody in the league thinks he is dirty but Goodell has a campaign to make James the poster boy for..i dunno....EVIL?...in the NFL. Though from everyone else James gets praise and accolades. So yes, Mark Cuban,...SOMEBODY!...ANYBODY! ...start another league and bring it back to what we all love. Tackle Football!

hawaiiansteel
12-13-2011, 12:06 AM
Madden: Harrison deserves suspension

Mark Madden Times Sports Correspondent | Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011

James Harrison's helmet-to-facemask hit on Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy Thursday was sinister, malicious and designed to injure. Any other notion is just plain idiotic.

Steelers linebacker Harrison has mostly been a changed man since his $125K shakedown at the hands of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell last season. But the blow to McCoy's cranium spotlighted the old Harrison (the real Harrison?) at his nastiest.

Harrison lowered his helmet and drilled McCoy in the head. It was deliberate and explosive.

Not only was McCoy concussed, Harrison's illegal action affected the game's outcome.

His brains scrambled, McCoy served up a red-zone interception to the Steelers' Willie Gay. The Browns had a chance to take a 10-7 lead with time ticking down. Instead, they lost 14-3.

Yinzer Nation apologists are out in full force, citing scripture and verse regarding gray areas in the NFL rulebook that might put Harrison in the clear.

The most popular notion is that McCoy was fair game, losing protection afforded quarterbacks because he was attempting to advance the ball as a runner.

That's nonsense. McCoy was still acting as a quarterback, evidenced by the fact that he threw the ball and drew a roughing the passer penalty. Furthermore, the rulebook safeguards every player, regardless of position, from helmet-to-helmet hits.
Harrison is a repeat offender. Gray areas shouldn't protect him. Zero benefit of the doubt.

Harrison should be suspended. Media sources say the NFL is considering a one- or two-game ban.

Harrison delivered a fistful of questionable hits last season. Perhaps the deterring effect of fines has worn off. Maybe Harrison was frustrated by having to sweat a difficult result against an easy opponent. At any rate, HE DID IT AGAIN. The next logical step is suspension.

A suspension would anger Harrison. But it wouldn't change Harrison. Harrison doesn't want to change. Harrison had played 16 games since his last dodgy tackle. That's not that long.

Harrison's demeanor after the McCoy hit showed no remorse. He just made excuses. I bet Harrison relished blowing up McCoy. Harrison loved delivering that shot.

Fining Harrison large amounts last season didn't make him think twice Thursday.

Suspending him might actually be waving a red cape in front of the bull.

No matter. The NFL needs to act. Harrison should be banned for for at least one game.

But it probably won't happen that way. Harrison will absorb another big fine (six figures this time?), perhaps saved from suspension by the Steelers' Monday Night Football date with San Francisco. Goodell won't want to affect competitive balance in a marquee game via suspension, nor will he want Harrison to become that contest's focal point in absentia.

Maybe Harrison will get suspended next time. And there will be a next time. Harrison had me believing he had changed. But his credibility vanished Thursday.

After Harrison gets whatever punishment the NFL levies, everyone will again be subject to Harrison's (and the Steelers') thoughts about the "man's game" football should be, and used to be. I'm not interested. Football is what the NFL decrees it to be. Play it their way, or go bounce in a strip joint.

Football gave Harrison everything he has. Harrison works hard for it. But he's still an employee. There are rules. I don't want to hear Harrison's idealist rantings or his explanations.

But the Browns certainly have some explaining to do. Cleveland management claims McCoy was medically cleared to return, but I'm guessing an examination conducted during two plays wasn't very thorough. McCoy's dad had it right: The signs of a concussion were obvious, even from a distance. Heed common sense. Seneca Wallace might have won that game.

That said, if I'm McCoy, a 25-year-old professional, I'm not crazy about my father acting as my media spokesman. "Aw, dad...not in front of the guys!"

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steel ... mode=print (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/madden-harrison-deserves-suspension/article_7113598d-adef-5ab5-acd6-025de34ec22d.html?mode=print)

phillyesq
12-13-2011, 12:06 AM
I ask again - does the appeal process allow the player to play until a final determination is made?

Not entirely sure, but I believe they can hear the appeal very quickly like they did with Suh.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
12-13-2011, 12:13 AM

I've been saying this for about 2 years felix. I am watching less and less of the sport I love because stuff like this really gets to me. Yes, it's true, I shouldn't let it, but it does and I am slowly, gradually losing interest in the game. James Harrison sHould be hailed as one of THE premier linebackers of the last several years. All the great ones before him made their mark doing what he is doing: Playing so ferociously that oppponents actually give up and quit. Not literally of course, but players on the field know when it happens. When an opposing player just wants no part of THAT action and are just punching the clock so to speak. We've heard the sports cliche "Imposing one's will on the opposition". See "James Harrison" for example "A". Nobody in the league thinks he is dirty but Goodell has a campaign to make James the poster boy for..i dunno....EVIL?...in the NFL. Though from everyone else James gets praise and accolades. So yes, Mark Cuban,...SOMEBODY!...ANYBODY! ...start another league and bring it back to what we all love. Tackle Football!

Well said and well said! WHen a player like Ray F'IN Lweis is glorified as the best middle linebacker of all time and James Harrison is the criminal element of the NFL, that's just wrong. Jack Tatum would be in prision if he played football today. It's a sport akin to boxing you know the risk don't you? The NFL is just protecting it's ar$e legally because they didn't care about this stuff until recentley. The players of the past are the ones that suffered and paid the price.

The players of today know what game they are playing and make enormous amounts of money to play it. These are men making grown men decisions, I can only think that the NFL is really out to stop the Steelers anyway they can. Goddell's press release before the super bowl IMO really f'ed with Ben's head. I think he was insecure and very sensitive to how his teamates perceive him. I think that has changed. Suspending Harrision would only throw gasoline on the fire and escalate the decline of the NFL.

RuthlessBurgher
12-13-2011, 12:23 AM

Not entirely sure, but I believe they can hear the appeal very quickly like they did with Suh.

Yeah, the appeal would be heard before Monday's game.

RuthlessBurgher
12-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Furthermore, the rulebook safeguards every player, regardless of position, from helmet-to-helmet hits.

No it doesn't, jackass...take the time to learn the rules to the game that you cover, Madden you moron. If you really thought this was true, then where is the outrage over the helmet-to-helmet hit from Gocong-on-Mendenhall at the goal line? There is no outrage about that hit because it is deemed by the NFL to be a legal helmet-to-helmet hit, since a ballcarrier advancing the ball is not protected under the "defenseless player" umbrella. Harrison is arguing that, because McCoy left the pocket and was running toward the line of scrimmage (for a good 5-6 paces) with the ball tucked under his arm as a runner, that McCoy was no longer a quarterback in a defenseless position...he was not just another runner in the open field. Harrison was already locked in and engaged when McCoy threw the ball away at the last second in a panic. Harrison's hit on McCoy was no different than Gocong's hit on Mendenhall, except that McCoy wears a jersey number in the teens while Mendenhall wears a jersey number in the thirties...both guys absolutely obliterated an opposing player that they considered to be a runner (not defenseless). That will be the crux of Harrison's appeal (should a suspension come down tomorrow).

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-13-2011, 01:11 AM
Thanks, Philly Esq, and Ruth ... a short appeal period didn't occur to me.

I wonder, if he gets suspended, whether he could hire a lawyer and get an injunction, show that the rule was being applied capriciously, even within the same game (hit on Mendy; also the other team's QB, Ben, was being tackled below the knees but that wasn't penalized).

Ruth, it is friggin' mind-blowing that a supposed "expert" in his field, like Madden, doesn't even know as much as I do about NFL rules ... that he believes that all H2H hits are illegal.

In what profession besides "sports writing" would such ignorance in your field not be punished by termination??

sd steel
12-13-2011, 01:46 AM
Thanks, Philly Esq, and Ruth ... a short appeal period didn't occur to me.

I wonder, if he gets suspended, whether he could hire a lawyer and get an injunction, show that the rule was being applied capriciously, even within the same game (hit on Mendy; also the other team's QB, Ben, was being tackled below the knees but that wasn't penalized).

Ruth, it is friggin' mind-blowing that a supposed "expert" in his field, like Madden, doesn't even know as much as I do about NFL rules ... that he believes that all H2H hits are illegal.

In what profession besides "sports writing" would such ignorance in your field not be punished by termination??

Madden doesn't believe what he is writing, he is just trying to create more controversy. The more controversial he can be the more people will read and listen to him waiting to hear what he is going to say next....It's the old Howard Stern formula. People who loved Howard listened for 2 hours a day, people who hated him listened for 3. He's just trying to get a rise.

Slapstick
12-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Even Peter King doesn't think Harrison should be suspended...

I was in the car last night listening to the MNF pregame, and King said exactly that...

James Harrison should not be suspended, but he should be fined. I've watched his scary helmet-to-helmet hit on Colt McCoy 15 times now, and I've listened to his defense. Which is this, basically: Once McCoy tucked the ball under his right arm and began to run, and left the pocket, McCoy appeared to be a runner, and thus could be hit in the helmet by a tackler. (Crazy rule, that runners can be hit helmet-to-helmet in the open field and quarterbacks can't be if they exhibition any intention of passing.)

McCoy, by my count, took five strides with the ball tucked under his arm, and when he and Harrison were about one stride apart, McCoy quickly pulled out the ball and tossed it to a receiver for a completion. I agree with what Harrison said postgame -- when he was coiling to hit McCoy, the quarterback appeared to be a runner.

But the NFL rule does not refer to time when talking about hits on a quarterback. In other words, the rule doesn't say if a quarterback looks to be a runner and at the last second throws a pass, and then is hit in the helmet, it's perfectly legal. The rule simply says you cannot hit a quarterback helmet-to-helmet. And in this case, Harrison clearly had the chance to make his aiming point lower. He could have hit McCoy shoulder pads to ribs, but he chose to aim higher than that. McCoy didn't curl up either.

So while I do not blame Harrison for thinking McCoy was a runner, and I believe it is wholly unfair to indict him for this hit as a cheap shot, I do blame him for where he aimed and where he hit him. There was no need to aim for the helmet. None. The play should result in a good-sized fine -- but it does not rise to the Suh-stomping level of a suspension, even with Harrison's history of NFL fines and discipline.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... z1gQDMh6jY (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/12/12/Week14/index.html#ixzz1gQDMh6jY)

flippy
12-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Madden brings up an interesting point in that if Goodell suspends Harrison, he'll be the focal point in the MNF game instead of the game.

Does Goodell want to do that given the matchup?

I still hope the tee off Harrison with a huge fine. I want to see him when he's mad. But a suspension could take away from one of the better potential matchups on MNF. And Roger has to protect the shield. And the fans want a game. With Harrison.

ikestops85
12-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Even Peter King doesn't think Harrison should be suspended...

I was in the car last night listening to the MNF pregame, and King said exactly that...

James Harrison should not be suspended, but he should be fined. I've watched his scary helmet-to-helmet hit on Colt McCoy 15 times now, and I've listened to his defense. Which is this, basically: Once McCoy tucked the ball under his right arm and began to run, and left the pocket, McCoy appeared to be a runner, and thus could be hit in the helmet by a tackler. (Crazy rule, that runners can be hit helmet-to-helmet in the open field and quarterbacks can't be if they exhibition any intention of passing.)

McCoy, by my count, took five strides with the ball tucked under his arm, and when he and Harrison were about one stride apart, McCoy quickly pulled out the ball and tossed it to a receiver for a completion. I agree with what Harrison said postgame -- when he was coiling to hit McCoy, the quarterback appeared to be a runner.

But the NFL rule does not refer to time when talking about hits on a quarterback. In other words, the rule doesn't say if a quarterback looks to be a runner and at the last second throws a pass, and then is hit in the helmet, it's perfectly legal. The rule simply says you cannot hit a quarterback helmet-to-helmet. And in this case, Harrison clearly had the chance to make his aiming point lower. He could have hit McCoy shoulder pads to ribs, but he chose to aim higher than that. McCoy didn't curl up either.

So while I do not blame Harrison for thinking McCoy was a runner, and I believe it is wholly unfair to indict him for this hit as a cheap shot, I do blame him for where he aimed and where he hit him. There was no need to aim for the helmet. None. The play should result in a good-sized fine -- but it does not rise to the Suh-stomping level of a suspension, even with Harrison's history of NFL fines and discipline.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... z1gQDMh6jY (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/12/12/Week14/index.html#ixzz1gQDMh6jY)

I agree wholeheartedly with Peter King. There was no reason for James to hit McCoy that high but McCoy was also acting like a runner and not a QB. In defense of James I think this was his first offense. All of the other hits he was fined for last year were bogus.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-13-2011, 11:18 AM

Schefter is the "inside source." he doesn't float garbage info. I hope he's wrong but he's usually dead on.

Schefter was wrong earlier this year concerning Harrison. He tweeted that Harrison would be fined after the Baltimore game week 9.

IMO any sports writer who communicates via twitter is more interested in being first to a story than being right. I'm not saying that JH will not be suspended, but I will not take a tweet as proof that he is going to be.

Oviedo
12-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Furthermore, the rulebook safeguards every player, regardless of position, from helmet-to-helmet hits.

No it doesn't, jackass...take the time to learn the rules to the game that you cover, Madden you moron. If you really thought this was true, then where is the outrage over the helmet-to-helmet hit from Gocong-on-Mendenhall at the goal line? There is no outrage about that hit because it is deemed by the NFL to be a legal helmet-to-helmet hit, since a ballcarrier advancing the ball is not protected under the "defenseless player" umbrella. Harrison is arguing that, because McCoy left the pocket and was running toward the line of scrimmage (for a good 5-6 paces) with the ball tucked under his arm as a runner, that McCoy was no longer a quarterback in a defenseless position...he was not just another runner in the open field. Harrison was already locked in and engaged when McCoy threw the ball away at the last second in a panic. Harrison's hit on McCoy was no different than Gocong's hit on Mendenhall, except that McCoy wears a jersey number in the teens while Mendenhall wears a jersey number in the thirties...both guys absolutely obliterated an opposing player that they considered to be a runner (not defenseless). That will be the crux of Harrison's appeal (should a suspension come down tomorrow).

Totally correct!!! If there is a suspension it will be because it was james harrison who did it. His hit was no different than the dozens that RB endures every single game.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-13-2011, 11:54 AM
just came down.

1 game.

total BS.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-13-2011, 11:57 AM
just came down.

1 game.

total BS.

I would hire a lawyer, get an injunction, and sue the NFL for blocking his right to make a living. The rule is vague, the enforcement is capricious - from what I've read, that's a combination likely to result in reversal.

SteelBucks
12-13-2011, 12:03 PM
just came down.

1 game.

total BS.

I'm sure Harrison will appeal and the league will uphold the suspension.

I'm getting sick and tired of this "New NFL".

phillyesq
12-13-2011, 12:19 PM
just came down.

1 game.

total BS.

:Agree

Complete and total BS.

How is James Harrison suspended for this but Ray Lewis was not suspended for a clearly dirty hit on Hines Ward?

JAR
12-13-2011, 12:25 PM
1 game, total BS, looks like they're trying to prevent a Steelers SB appearance.

Lebsteel
12-13-2011, 12:29 PM
just came down.

1 game.

total BS.

:Agree

Complete and total BS.

How is James Harrison suspended for this but Ray Lewis was not suspended for a clearly dirty hit on Hines Ward?

Ray, Ray is not a repeat offender... :roll: :roll: This really makes me %^$&*(# angry. Goodell is a very bad word.

Wilkinsburg
12-13-2011, 12:31 PM
The rules stink, but this isn't the way to protest, its hurting the team. I hope they appeal so he can play against SF and sit one of the final two games.
:roll:

Jooser
12-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Trying to give SF the edge so the Gayvens can secure the division and host us in the playoffs. This is disgusting.

JAR
12-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Deebo should just start punching, you don't get suspended for that.

fezziwig
12-13-2011, 12:48 PM
I heard there is a panel of people that make the decisions on these matters, is that true and who are they if true ?

SteelBucks
12-13-2011, 12:51 PM
The rules stink, but this isn't the way to protest, its hurting the team. I hope they appeal so he can play against SF and sit one of the final two games.
:roll:

The league will rule on the appeal before the Monday Night game. So expect him to sit out the SF game.

fezziwig
12-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Who will takes Harrisons place on the field ? I'm guessing Worilds.

SteelBucks
12-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Who will takes Harrisons place on the field ? I'm guessing Worilds.

Probably depends if Woodley plays. If Woodley can't go, Timmons will take Harrison's spot.

RuthlessBurgher
12-13-2011, 01:10 PM
I heard there is a panel of people that make the decisions on these matters, is that true and who are they if true ?

Former coaches Art Shell and Ted Cottrell.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-13-2011, 01:39 PM

I don't know Cottrell, but at least we know that Art Shell, as a former Rayduhh who got his tail handed to him by Pittsburgh umpteen million times will be impartial.

That appeal process is BS.

I wish the NFLPA would file a lawsuit asking for an injunction - this whole thing is so arbitrary that it seems indefensible.

AND WHERE IS THE STEELERS FO TO DEFEND HARRISON IN ALL THIS?????

fezziwig
12-13-2011, 03:00 PM

That is why I asked that question. See, there's the rub with all this stuff when it comes down to getting a fair deal for whatever circumstances throughout the NFL. Be it the powers that be that decides a players punishment, voting a guy to the HOF or just a non-bias annoucer during the game.

I would like to think people are above the petty stuff and maybe they are but the system stinks to me.
yeah, harrison should have done this, shouldn't have done that and so on but, here is a chance for the NFL to look good with my scenario.

NFL: The James Harrison hit was illegal and with Harrison past track record we have considered all opitions.
Mr. Harrison has taking positive steps through this season with playing within the rules and we will not punish him with a suspension at this time.
Mr. Harrison will receive a fine of $15,000.00 A new season, a new begining.

Possibly some anger management classes in the future. lol

fezziwig
12-13-2011, 03:17 PM
reported on the fan radio that one game wages for JH is $73.500.00

Just think what Goodell would have done back in the day when, Harrison made a Browns fan wish he never came to the game ?

That is one of my all time NFL hilarious moments.

hawaiiansteel
12-15-2011, 01:40 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/img/logo_triblive.gif

Clark weighs in on Harrison suspension

December 14th, 2011

Here is Ryan Clarkís surprisingly muted reaction to James Harrisonís suspension. Clark is the Steelersí union representative, and he has been outspoken in his criticism of Roger Goodell and the commissionerís crackdown on illegal hits.

Q: How frustrating is all of this?
A: To be honest, Iím frustrated for James. I feel bad for James. I couldnít imagine having to deal with what heís had to deal with the past two years. I know heís worked extremely hard to stay within the guidelines and itís his first offense this year so that part frustrates me. As far as the other stuff it doesnít bother me. You just hate to see a teammate, you hate to see a friend be kind of ostracized, ridiculed when heís actually been working to do better.

Q: Has James been unfairly targeted by the league?
A: Itís not my call.

Q: Where do you see this going in the future? Will it get worse?
A: Iím just a free safety. I canít tell yíall whatís going to happen in the future. We just want to play now. We want to try to figure out a way to be as physical as possible and to be as legal as possible. Right now thatís the challenge placed before us. On the other (side) of that when things donít go our way we need to shut up because obviously being who we are isnít working. Being outspoken about things and expressing our frustration in different manners than other people thatís not working for us. Weíre not going to call the commissioner, weíre not going to set up meetings, thatís just not the players that we are. But I think as a team we just need to stop talking about it. Just do our best to go out here and play football because thatís what our jobs are and leave the rest of the politicking to other people.

Ė Scott Brown

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... uspension/ (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/12/14/clark-weighs-in-on-harrison-suspension/)