PDA

View Full Version : Dee Dub’s First 2012 Pittsburgh Steelers Draft!

Dee Dub
12-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Sorry no O-lineman. I believe the Steelers are more than happy with Starks-Legursky-Pouncey-Foster-Gilbert. Now don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have David DeCastro or Cordy Glenn but I believe they will be long gone when the Steelers pick in round one.

1—Donta’ Hightower ILB Alabama-----projected to be available at back end of round 1 and plays the “Mike” in Alabama’s 3-4 (legit run stuffer)

2---Markele Martin FS Oklahoma State----will probably need to trade up to get Martin. (can play FS but will eventually be Troy’s replacement at SS). If Bacarri Rambo FS Georgia declares he would be my choice.

3---Isiah Pead RB Cincinnati ----the third down homerun hitter Steelers offense could use (Darren Sproles type) However, if LaMichael James falls he would be my pick.

4—Marvin McNutt WR Iowa--------gives the Steelers young core of receivers that needed height/size. Tough physical receiver who isn’t a afraid to block.

5—Rhett Ellison TE/FB USC-------could mean the end of David Johnson (hopefully)

6---Traded

7--Tony Dye SS UCLA----talented safety who drops due to injuries (neck). Carnell Lake coached him in 2010. Bob Sanders type.

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Trading a 6th round pick (which is worth about 20 points on the trade value chart, +/- 5 points or so depending on where you are selecting) will move you up 2 slots in the 2nd round. If you want to move from the late 2nd to the mid 2nd, you have to sacrifice your late 3rd round pick.

Dee Dub
12-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Trading a 6th round pick (which is worth about 20 points on the trade value chart, +/- 5 points or so depending on where you are selecting) will move you up 2 slots in the 2nd round. If you want to move from the late 2nd to the mid 2nd, you have to sacrifice your late 3rd round pick.

Uhhhhhhhhh duh! :mrgreen: Did I mention that I may have to trade a future mid round pick as well. :D

Eddie Spaghetti
12-12-2011, 05:05 PM
a 3rd round pick for a 3rd down RB?

ummm, no thank you.

lets see if batch can come back and handle those duties.

Dee Dub
12-12-2011, 05:52 PM

ummm, no thank you.

So you dont think San Diego would give up a 3rd round pick to get Darren Sproles back? He was kind of important to that offense and the overall success of that team.

Plus you are looking at a punt and kick off returner as well. At some point Antonio Brown is going to stop doing that.

Dee Dub
12-12-2011, 05:57 PM

ummm, no thank you.

And for what its worth, Isiah Pead could be more than a 3rd down back. He carried the load at UC. Showed the ability to be a plus as well in the passing game.

steelblood
12-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Not bad. I like Hightower and Pead (I live in Cincy and he is legit). I would have liked to see a G or a NT. But, in general, it is pretty good.

Dee Dub
12-13-2011, 01:19 PM
..........I would have liked to see a G or a NT. But, in general, it is pretty good.

Honestly? Me too but where? At the back end of round one the legitimate prospects at G will be gone. NT? Maybe Dontari Poe but I am not completely sold that he is not better at DT in a 4-3 than at NT in a 3-4.

Shawn
12-13-2011, 01:39 PM
You had me sold at Hightower and McNutt. I don't know much about the rest but let me tell you something. McNutt is going to be something special at the next level. I realize he won't blow anyone up with his measureables but this guy is football savy, runs good routes, has good hands and just knows how to get open. And adding Hightower to our LB core is just sick.

Dee Dub
12-13-2011, 01:52 PM
You had me sold at Hightower and McNutt. I don't know much about the rest but let me tell you something. McNutt is going to be something special at the next level. I realize he won't blow anyone up with his measureables but this guy is football savy, runs good routes, has good hands and just knows how to get open. And adding Hightower to our LB core is just sick.

Thank you Shawn! When are you going to do one?

steelblood
12-13-2011, 03:03 PM
NTs are hard to find. But, guards are easier. Plenty of good college tackles convert well to guard. Here is a draft for ya!

1. Mark Barron S Alabama (6'2, 218). As Dub says, the top Guards and top NT will likely be gone. Barron can play either safety spot. He is probably a more natural SS, but he would be an upgrade over Ryan Clark at FS. He is smart, big, and physical. He is good in space and coverage (10 career interceptions). One thing that may give the Steelers pause is that he may have lied to police about his knowledge of a petty crime.

2. Dwight Jones WR N Carolina (6'4, 225). This is a very deep WR draft. Some players will fall more than they normally would. I'm hoping Jones is one of those players. In a weak WR class, he'd probably be a top 45 prospect. But, maybe he lasts another 10 or 15 spots until the Steelers pick. Jones would replace Ward and/or Cotchery as the physical, over the middle WR. Jones has a great burst for his size, excellent strength and can rack up the RAC.

3. Matt Reynolds OT BYU (6'5, 310). Reynolds is very durable, tough, mature, and smart. He was a college LT, but he would make an excellent LG in our system. He would be a huge upgrade as a pass blocker and would be effective pulling. Reynolds is athletic enough to play any position on the offensive line in a pinch. He is a high character guy with a great football IQ who would excel next to Pouncey.

4. Emmanuel Acho ILB Texas (6'2 245). We may lose Farrior and Foote next season in cost cutting moves. Acho is very productive on an underperforming defense. He could still be available this late.

5. Tank Carder ILB TCU (6'3 235). Carder will be a fantastic special teams player and a good nickel linebacker. Will help relieve loss of Foote and Farrior.

6. Adonis Thomas RB Toledo (5'9, 185). I know, I know. You don't want a 185 pound running back. But, have you ever seen him play? He is electric. He has perhaps the best lateral agility in all of college football. Thomas also is an accomplished inside runner. He could be a great threat as a change of pace, in our no huddle, as a returner, and as a third down back. Barron Batch is a great kid, but he has a long injury history and may never be healthy. Moore will likely be cut in a cost cutting move.

7. Brandon Bullock NT Marshall (6'3, 361). I have watched this cat play a few times. He is inconsistent, but he can be dominate as he was at times vs WVU. He needs to get better conditioned and work on his technique. I think he could be very effective as a two down run stuffer after working with coach Mitchell. He has enough athleticism and raw strength to be a starter.

flippy
12-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Rule #1 of every solid Steelers draft - pick a Pitt player somewhere. Not that I went to Pitt and I'm being a homer or anything, it's just that with the Pitt players being in the same facility, the Steelers have to have some inside info that others don't.

And I'm not putting any more PSUer's in my drafts anymore.

grotonsteel
12-13-2011, 07:25 PM
I would be happy if we could get Barron or Chapman in Rd 1.

Dee Dub
12-13-2011, 07:54 PM
I would be happy if we could get Barron or Chapman in Rd 1.

Josh Chapman of Alabama? I think a first would be too high for him. Might be able to get him end of round two early round 3. But ya never know.

Dee Dub
12-13-2011, 07:55 PM
For the record I'd be happy with Mark Barron, Markele Martin, or Bacarri Rambo for safety. I just think that Rambo is more of a pure free safety than the other two are.

steelerkeylargo
12-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Terrible!!! No OL is atrocious. McNutt in the 4th would be great value but we certainly dont need to devote any more cap $$$ to WR's. Pead is a 4th rounder. Ellison is a FB for christ's sake. I WOULD BE STOKED WITH DYE. That kid has first round talent.

focosteeler
12-14-2011, 02:41 AM

:Agree

Dee I got a question, do you not think Lucas Nix is worthy of a late 2nd round pick? or is it that you would rather take a DB with that pick?

Shawn
12-14-2011, 02:44 PM

Thank you Shawn! When are you going to do one?

I usually like to do one right after the Super Bowl.

Dee Dub
12-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Terrible!!! No OL is atrocious. McNutt in the 4th would be great value but we certainly dont need to devote any more cap $$$ to WR's. Pead is a 4th rounder. Ellison is a FB for christ's sake. I WOULD BE STOKED WITH DYE. That kid has first round talent.

Where do I pick an O-lineman? Say we are drafting at 32, do I just draft one to be drafting one? The Steelers are very pleased with the current O-line (Starks-Legursky-Pouncey-Foster-Gilbert). They have made this known. So anything else would be pretty much for depth. I personally am not spending a high pick on depth. When at other positions I can get players who will probably be starters sooner. Ya feel me? :D

I agree Pead is probably a 4th rounder, but he want be there at pick 96. So I'd roll the dice and draft him in at the end of the 3rd. Again, I'd be really hoping and praying LaMichael James falls in the 3rd. But I doubt it.

Uhhhh....ya might wanna do your homework. :wink: Rhett Ellison has played both TE and FB for the Trojans. In fact in his career he's played more TE than FB. Here read up...

http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-foot ... ett00.html (http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ellison_rhett00.html)

And SKL, you know I would love to have DeCastro or Glenn but that isnt going to happen.

Dee Dub
12-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Dee I got a question, do you not think Lucas Nix is worthy of a late 2nd round pick? or is it that you would rather take a DB with that pick?

Absolutely. Nix is pretty solid. I just really think that the Steelers feel they are now set on the O-line. The group of Starks-Legursky-Pouncey-Foster-Gilbert has actually start to play pretty well as a unit.

If I have Markelle Martin, Bacarri Rambo, or Nix as a choice, I personally believe for the Steelers the safeties have a better chance of making a sooner impact.

steelerkeylargo
12-14-2011, 05:03 PM

Where do I pick an O-lineman? Say we are drafting at 32, do I just draft one to be drafting one? The Steelers are very pleased with the current O-line (Starks-Legursky-Pouncey-Foster-Gilbert). They have made this known. So anything else would be pretty much for depth. I personally am not spending a high pick on depth. When at other positions I can get players who will probably be starters sooner. Ya feel me? :D

I agree Pead is probably a 4th rounder, but he want be there at pick 96. So I'd roll the dice and draft him in at the end of the 3rd. Again, I'd be really hoping and praying LaMichael James falls in the 3rd. But I doubt it.

Uhhhh....ya might wanna do your homework. :wink: Rhett Ellison has played both TE and FB for the Trojans. In fact in his career he's played more TE than FB. Here read up...

http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-foot ... ett00.html (http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ellison_rhett00.html)

And SKL, you know I would love to have DeCastro or Glenn but that isnt going to happen.

The Steelers are very happy with the OL? Really??? Other than Poncey they didn't believe a single one of those guys was a starter week 1. Other than Starks (where would we be had he signed with Minn.) and Pouncey every one of those guys could be upgraded. I think Cordy Glenn will be available late. Maybe not 32 late but late. He would make a great LG. Move Doug to the right. Zebrie Sanders is a guy that I would def. entertain in the first and he would not be a reach. As far as Ellison goes where are you playing him TE or FB? If he replaces DJ its FB. We don't need a TE. Saunders is showing promise.

Dee Dub
12-14-2011, 05:41 PM

The Steelers are very happy with the OL? Really??? Other than Poncey they didn't believe a single one of those guys was a starter week 1. Other than Starks (where would we be had he signed with Minn.) and Pouncey every one of those guys could be upgraded. I think Cordy Glenn will be available late. Maybe not 32 late but late. He would make a great LG. Move Doug to the right. Zebrie Sanders is a guy that I would def. entertain in the first and he would not be a reach. As far as Ellison goes where are you playing him TE or FB? If he replaces DJ its FB. We don't need a TE. Saunders is showing promise.

Ok well I've read several times where they are pleased with this current unit (O-line). And you have to admit they have played pretty well of late.

David Johnson does line up at TE as well. We could use a FB/TE one that does well at both. Any team could use that.