PDA

View Full Version : NFL mulls ban for James Harrison

hawaiiansteel
12-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Updated: December 11, 2011

NFL mulls ban for James Harrison

By Adam Schefter
ESPN

The NFL is considering suspending Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison one or two games for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Cleveland Browns quarterback Colt McCoy, according to an NFL source.

The debate about whether Harrison will be suspended will continue at NFL offices Monday morning. But at the very least, he will be hit with a hefty fine for his latest controversial hit.

Harrison would be the first player suspended under the NFL's enhanced enforcement on player safety violations.

Ndamukong Suh became the first player suspended for on-field play earlier this season, and the league is strongly considering doling out its second suspension in two weeks.

Harrison was fined $125,000 for illegal hits last season. He maintained his innocence for Thursday's hit.

"From what I understand, once the quarterback leaves the pocket, he's considered a runner," Harrison said. "All the defenseless(ness) and liberties that a quarterback has in the pocket are gone and you can tackle him just as he's a running back. The hit wasn't late, so I really don't understand why it was called."

However, McCoy had thrown the ball before the hit, so the quarterback was considered a defenseless player.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/12/11/2628084/report-nfl-considering-suspension-for-steelers-lb-james-harrison#storyjump)

AkronSteel
12-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Total B.S.

I'm starting to despise Goodell and the new NFL.

How do folks keep comparing this to Suh?? It's not even close to the same thing!!!

:HeadBanger :HeadBanger

Steelgal
12-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Schefter on ESPN said something about he could receive a 1 OR 2 game suspension. I'm sorry, one is bad enough but if they give him two that's just flat out ridiculous. Rooney better be calling his buddy Goodell and giving him an earfull.

sentinel33
12-11-2011, 03:03 PM
From what I understand, this is Harrisons first infraction this year. There should not be a suspension. Fine-ok. But no suspension. That's BS.

sentinel33
12-11-2011, 03:22 PM
...and why is the term "ban" being used instead of the term "suspension"?

This has been the worst year since I can remember n the NFL.

Love the Steelers.

Hate this frickin' league. And the media.

hawaiiansteel
12-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Suspension remains very possible for James Harrison

Posted by Mike Florio on December 10, 2011

Two weeks ago, the football-following public got a crash course on the procedures that apply to suspensions for on-field infractions, thanks to Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. And that knowledge could quickly be put to use this week, given the helmet-to-face hit applied by Steelers linebacker James Harrison on Browns quarterback Colt McCoy.

On Monday, league executives Ray Anderson and Merton Hanks will convene to determine the punishment, if any, to be imposed on Harrison for the hit. Given the league’s explanation of the relevant rules, Harrison’s belief that McCoy was acting as a runner likely will be undermined significantly by the fact that McCoy actually threw the ball.

Working against Harrison will be his history of fines. Last year, Harrison paid a post-appeal total of $57,500 for four incidents. And while the fact that McCoy flipped the ball as he approached the line of scrimmage could work in Harrison’s favor, watch the hit. Harrison dropped his helmet and planted the crown of it into McCoy’s chin, a move that was unnecessary, even if it somehow was legal.

And just as Suh’s lack of remorse surely didn’t help him last month, the over-the-top remarks from a July interview with Men’s Journal won’t help Harrison. “If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out,” Harrison said of Commissioner Roger Goodell, “I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”

Harrison also posed for a photo with a pair of guns, called Goodell a “crook” and a “devil” and a “puppet” and a “dictator,” and Harrison described Goodell with a gay slur.

If Anderson and/or Hanks decide that the time has come to get Harrison’s attention by parking him for a week, Harrison would immediately be suspended pending an expedited review. Either Art Shell or Ted Cottrell — jointly hired and paid by the league and the union — would handle the appeal. A decision would come before the Steelers’ next game, on Monday, December 19 in San Francisco.

No decisions have been made about Harrison, but folks in the league office undoubtedly are already pondering the situation. The more we look at the video of the hit, the less surprised we’d be if Harrison is suspended.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -harrison/

snarky
12-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Will Merton Hanks do the funky chicken dance after he suspends JH?

JAR
12-11-2011, 03:41 PM
the way the media is ranting on about him being suspended, you can be assured it will probably happen.

hawaiiansteel
12-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Report: NFL Considering Suspension for Steelers LB James Harrison

by Neal Coolong on Dec 11, 2011

ESPN's Adam Schefter tweeted Sunday morning the NFL is considering a one or two game suspension for Steelers LB James Harrison after a helmet-to-helmet hit on Browns QB Colt McCoy.

This is the same Adam Schefter who tweeted Harrison was likely to be fined for an alleged hit during the Steelers Week 9 loss to Baltimore.

Despite the report, Harrison did not receive a fine - or a penalty - in that game.

The play drew a 15-yard penalty - Harrison's first personal foul penalty this year, and first since Week 10 of the 2010 season. Including the playoffs, Harrison hadn't been flagged for what the league views as an illegal hit in 16 games, including the playoffs. That number does not count the games he missed this season.

Under NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, two players have been suspended for on-the-field actions; then-Titans DT Albert Haynesworth, who stomped on the face of helmet-less Andre Gurode, and Lions DT Ndamukong Suh, who stomped on the arm of a Packers lineman and repeatedly slammed his head into the ground.

Both players were ejected from the game. Harrison was not.

Suh had been fined multiple times this season for his on-field conduct, and openly disputed the fact a penalty was even called. That led to the Lions issuing a public statement condemning his actions.

If consistency counts for anything, Harrison's penalty is not worthy of a suspension. It's hard to call him a repeat offender, considering he clearly has adjusted to the league's sudden emphasis on helmet-to-helmet contact.

The play in question has McCoy out of the pocket and scrambling forward. The ball is tucked in his arm, thus making him a runner instead of a passer. Harrison breaks down (gets in a stance to deliver a hit on the ball carrier), and moves toward McCoy. At that point, McCoy flips the ball quickly to his left. Harrison continues through the hit, and strikes McCoy with his helmet.

A penalty is valid in this case, because NFL rules state the onus to stop and prevent the hit when the quarterback no longer has the ball is on the defender. However, a suspension in this case would be unprecedented.

Harrison viewed McCoy as a runner, and not a quarterback. Helmet-to-helmet penalties are called on quarterbacks and defenseless receivers, not runners. It's extremely difficult to argue McCoy was not a runner when Harrison first attempted to hit him, considering he was outside the pocket and was running. Harrison should have held up and not struck McCoy, according to the rules of the game, but some credence should be given to the speed in which McCoy changed back into a passer.

The actions that occurred on that play are within past examples of a fine, not a suspension. Harrison's play has been clean in both the eyes of the game officials (no flags) and the league (no fines). A suspension seems over the top, and certainly something Harrison should appeal, with the full support of the NFL Players Union.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/12/11/2628084/report-nfl-considering-suspension-for-steelers-lb-james-harrison#storyjump)

drprwnap
12-11-2011, 07:47 PM
This is total BULL$HIT. There should be no suspension for Harrison. If there is, Steeler Nation should flood the a$$hole Adolf Goodell with letters, emails and phone calls. Fcuk him, I can't put into words how much I absolutely HATE this worthless piece of $hit

fezziwig
12-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Here's my two cents.

1. The rules are the rules but, it has to be hard to react in a split second when on the field and your emotions are driving you.

2. James has been doing really well in my opinion this season with getting his playing performance around the adopted Goodell cream puff league for Qb's.

3. At what point does a defender decide when and how to tackle a person without hurting the opposing players and himself for that matter ? And buy the way, also supposed to make the play.

4. Not being a homer but I think if they suspend James Harrison he should get and attorney. Richard Seymour has had three years in a row for punching players after the play and I don't believe he has been tossed for any games. Punching someone to me is a lot worse than making an aggressive tackle.

5. Harrison probably didn't endear himself with Goodell with his off season remarks so, I expect the worse out of this for Harrison. Not trying to be negative but, I just don't trust the NFL would look at this situation through the players eyes. Their out to prove a point, trying to get a message across and sad as it is, they're using Harrison as the poster child. Not saying James is innocent of all his infractions but....it is what it is.

DukieBoy
12-11-2011, 08:51 PM
On NBC Football Night in America, Florio opened his segment with Peter King with his commentary about James Harrison's "vicious" hit on McCoy clearly advocating for James' suspension. King commented that the problem with suspension is that McCoy took 5 full steps as running back before he threw the ball, and King thinks that a suspension is not appropriate because of that.

How about some reporting about Florio ...

http://deadspin.com/5291351/mike-florio ... ding-block (http://deadspin.com/5291351/mike-florio-makes-the-leap-from-loathsome-gossip-to-mainstream-building-block)

http://bayarea.sbnation.com/california- ... -non-story (http://bayarea.sbnation.com/california-golden-bears/2011/1/18/1941543/mike-florio-embarrasses-himself-moralizing-aaron-rodgers-jan-cavanaugh-cancer-patient-non-story)

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-0 ... is-website (http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-05-12/sports/bal-sportsblitz-mason-florio0512_1_ravens-wide-receiver-ed-norris-website)

fezziwig
12-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Florio is a tool

Steel Life
12-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Really wasn't Florio who stirred this up...it was LaCanfora of the NFL Network (who reaches for a lot of his stories) & Schefter (who does the same, but is clearly trying to get ahead on this). Florio actually presented a possible defense for Harrison thru a "grey area" that exists in the rules, but doubted it would hold up. No fan of Florio but thought its worth pointing out. That said, the media is driving this now & seem out for blood despite the facts that Harrison has played within the rules this season...they want to villify him, it's the only way they can cope with the physical element of the game & that the Steelers just won't go away.

WindyCitySteel
12-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Of course the media is stirring things up. They want to make the news, not report it. Been that way for quite some time.

If JH gets suspended, it's a travesty of justice. The guy who hit Ben low should get twice as much, no? Isn't hitting a QB low a penalty? Or is it just a QB named Brady who gets that call?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-12-2011, 11:15 AM
You can always see if there is bias in this story when they report about Harrison's fines from last year.

If the report states that Harrison was fined $125K last season or that he was fines $75K for a hit on Massaquoi then I know right away that there is anti JH bias.

Harrison was originally fined $75K but the fine was reduced to $50K on appeal. If a report was objective then why would this part of the story be ignored?

fezziwig
12-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Of course the media is stirring things up. They want to make the news, not report it. Been that way for quite some time.

If JH gets suspended, it's a travesty of justice. The guy who hit Ben low should get twice as much, no? Isn't hitting a QB low a penalty? Or is it just a QB named Brady who gets that call?

Wow ! that is such a true and profound statement when you say, " they want to make the news, not report the news. "

SteelCrazy
12-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Harrison doesn't think he'll get suspended

Despite a report saying the NFL is considering a suspension, Steelers linebacker James Harrison doesn't think he'll receive one.

"I don’t think I have anything to worry about," Harrison told The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette today.

NFL officials are expected to meet today to discuss whether the league will punish Harrison for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Browns quarterback Colt McCoy.

This is Harrison's first personal foul of the season after getting fined $125,000 last season. No NFL player has received a suspension under the NFL's enhanced enforcement of player safety violations.

Asked about the possibility of a suspension, Harrison told The Post-Gazette, "Not going to go with ifs. I don’t have to worry about that. We'll see what happens."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... -suspended (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/37849/harrison-doesnt-think-hell-get-suspended)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Here is what I find to be interesting.

Every week there seems to be a story from the same writers talking about the NFL considering a punishment for some player. They then go on to tell you what the NFL seems to be considering.

As much as I hate the Goodell era NFL, I don't think that anything of value actually leaks from these discussions and it is just these writers giving their opinions. There is never "a source confirms" or any inside information quoted, it always just seems to be these guys taking a stab in the dark based on media reaction.

I would like to see the JH penalty compared to what might happen to Roman Harper of the Saints. In the second Q of that game, this play occured:

3-7-TEN 29 (12:25) (Shotgun) 8-M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete short middle to 89-J.Cook [95-M.Wilson]. PENALTY on NO-41-R.Harper, Unnecessary Roughness, 16 yards, enforced at TEN 29 - No Play.

On the play, Harper came up the middle on a blitz and hit Hasselbeck under the chin with the crown of his helmet. The hit was similar to how JH hit McCoy, but one QB was standing in the pocket and in a throwing motion - the definition of a defenseless QB - and the other had tucked the ball and began running before pulling up last second to throw.

We will see the result, but I do believe that these writers actually have no insight as to what might happen.

Discipline of Steel
12-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Here is what I find to be interesting.

Every week there seems to be a story from the same writers talking about the NFL considering a punishment for some player. They then go on to tell you what the NFL seems to be considering.

As much as I hate the Goodell era NFL, I don't think that anything of value actually leaks from these discussions and it is just these writers giving their opinions. There is never "a source confirms" or any inside information quoted, it always just seems to be these guys taking a stab in the dark based on media reaction.

I would like to see the JH penalty compared to what might happen to Roman Harper of the Saints. In the second Q of that game, this play occured:

3-7-TEN 29 (12:25) (Shotgun) 8-M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete short middle to 89-J.Cook [95-M.Wilson]. PENALTY on NO-41-R.Harper, Unnecessary Roughness, 16 yards, enforced at TEN 29 - No Play.

On the play, Harper came up the middle on a blitz and hit Hasselbeck under the chin with the crown of his helmet. The hit was similar to how JH hit McCoy, but one QB was standing in the pocket and in a throwing motion - the definition of a defenseless QB - and the other had tucked the ball and began running before pulling up last second to throw.

We will see the result, but I do believe that these writers actually have no insight as to what might happen.

Does it matter? Nothing a fan can do. Nobody knows what is going on except that the James Harrison suspension was a foregone conclusion at the beginning of the season.

hawaiiansteel
12-12-2011, 11:27 PM
James Harrison doesn’t think he should be suspended, or fined

Posted by Mike Florio on December 12, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/harrison2-e1323743278907.jpg?w=238

As the football-following world waits for the NFL to inform Steelers linebacker James Harrison of the sanction for his helmet-to-face hit on Browns quarterback Colt McCoy, Harrison doesn’t believe he should be suspended.

Undermining Harrison’s position is that he also believes he shouldn’t be fined.

“I don’t think a suspension is worthy,” Harrison said Monday, per the Associated Press. “I don’t think it’s worthy of anything, but that’s just my own personal thoughts.”

Harrison believes that the play should result in no punishment because McCoy was running with the ball before Harrison put the crown of his helmet into McCoy’s jaw. “Well, he took off running with it, and at the last second he, like, chucked and ducked,” Harrison said. “So, people can see it.”

Yes, they can see it. And what they can see is a defensive player hitting a quarterback in the head after the quarterback has thrown the ball. (Besides, McCoy didn’t “chuck and duck.” If he had, McCoy possibly wouldn’t have been knocked “out and cold.”)

On Friday, the league explained the rules that resulted in Harrison being flagged for roughing the passer, specifically pointing out that a quarterback who throws on the run — which McCoy did — remains protected against blows to the head.

The fact that the NFL hasn’t acknowledged that the officials erred in penalizing Harrison implies that the league will take some action against Harrison. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that there’s a sense in Pittsburgh and throughout the league that Harrison will be suspended for a game.

Given that Harrison suggested after being fined $75,000 last year that he would retire because he doesn’t understand the rules, a suspension at a time when Harrison doesn’t thing he should even be fined could push him to the point of no return.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -or-fined/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/12/james-harrison-doesnt-think-he-should-be-suspended-or-fined/)

Mel Blount's G
12-13-2011, 12:00 AM

Shame on you! Rational thinking has no place in this decision making process.