PDA

View Full Version : What's your game plan vs the 49ers?

SteelCrazy
12-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Most of you, including myself, bash BA and a lot bash D. LeBeau. What would you do on offense and then on defense.

The 49ers are by far the best run stuffing D in the league. I dont think BA's reverse logic is going to cut in this game. Run it when we should be passing and passing when we should be running. They are mediocre in the passing game, so I say attack right there, but run the ball enough to keep them honest. With Ben's ankle I think a 3 step drop and throw technique should be heavy utilized. He cant be taking 7 steps and scrambling on one leg. So, that means slants, 5-10 yard curls, screens, and the ever popular WR bubble screen. You do have to take some shots down field with Brown and Wallace. I would even send Cotchery deep a few times to see if we could catch them off guard. Ward is great in the short game so we need to use him more this game.

On D I think stopping the run is apparent here. Gore is in the top 5 rushing, I think. Alex Smith is doing well in the role of support to the run game. He's only thrown 5 picks. I'd blitz a lot in this game and sell out on run D. Try to make Alex Smith beat us.

What would you do?

pfelix73
12-10-2011, 10:12 PM
I think you hit on something there- This could be a big game for Hines.....

:tt1

papillon
12-11-2011, 08:49 AM
First and foremost is to determine as soon as possible who is going to play quarterback and then get that person the work, film study, etc. The worst thing they could do is waffle about the starting quarterback and then not get that player the necessary reps, game plan, film, two minute drill, etc leading up to the game and that includes Ben. If he can go, he needs to take the practice snaps, if he can't, then he needs to rest and let Batch or Dixon get the work. It isn't going to be an easy game.

Pappy

phillyesq
12-11-2011, 09:04 AM
If Ben plays, I'd bring back some of the "pistol" that they used last year a bit -- the half shotgun setup, to try to make things easier on his ankle. You can't abandon the run, but I would some short passes, including the WR bubble screens, to supplement the running game. Maybe fake a bubble screen and send somebody deep, hoping to catch the D cheating up.

On D, match up Ike with Crabtree and use a combination of Timmons and the safeties to help with Davis. The comparisons to the 90s Steelers seem apt for the 49ers, and I'd focus on stopping Gore to make Smith beat them.

SteelCrazy
12-11-2011, 04:53 PM
If Ben plays, I'd bring back some of the "pistol" that they used last year a bit -- the half shotgun setup, to try to make things easier on his ankle. You can't abandon the run, but I would some short passes, including the WR bubble screens, to supplement the running game. Maybe fake a bubble screen and send somebody deep, hoping to catch the D cheating up.

On D, match up Ike with Crabtree and use a combination of Timmons and the safeties to help with Davis. The comparisons to the 90s Steelers seem apt for the 49ers, and I'd focus on stopping Gore to make Smith beat them.

I agree with the pistol formation (actually they'll probably do that if he plays, good call) and the fake bubble to send someone deep. You do have to run the ball to keep them honest. What about Troy in the wildcat? :mrgreen:

MaxAMillion
12-11-2011, 08:23 PM
The problem is that the Niners will know that Ben can't move. He will be a sitting duck back there. I honestly hope they have Dixon ready to go next week because I think the back QB might have to play (especially with the banged up OL).

The Steelers can't afford turnovers because the Niners have taken advantage all year of tunrovers. Also have to be careful of Ginn returning punts.

flippy
12-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Baltimore and Arizona laid out the game plan to stop them defensively. The only tweak I'd make on D is let Cortez Allen cover their TE and give him a little help and make sure Timmons is pounding on him at the LOS.

No defense can stop Pittsburgh's offense. Too many weapons and configurations, we should be able to easily move the ball through the air.

I think SF is a little overrated. This game's gonna be a blowout. We're a matchup nightmare for them.

I really only see Davis as the one guy that's a tough matchup for us.

Chadman
12-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Stifle the 49ers running game, forcing the 49ers to pass in order to win.

The Steelers should mix up their pass rush- not dial it up. If nothing else, the season has shown that the Steelers can't get to the QB consistantly. So instead of just throwing more bodies at it- mix up the rushers- send ILB on the rush & drop DE's into coverage...have ryan Clark blitz & Polamalu drop back...don't give them what they expect. Alex Smith has never proven to be a good reader of defense.

Keep the offense simple if Ben is out- plenty of rotation in the running game, passes to RB's, passes to TE's...keep it simple, keep it safe. Win by 3 if they have to.

Beating the 49ers will be about possession, turnovers & wether or not the 49ers Offense can score. If they can't, field position & Sushi are the winners.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-12-2011, 10:57 AM
I agree with Chadman defensively. Sell out to stop the run and make Smith beat you. Gore at his best is one of the top backs in the league. Smith and the receivers are no better than average at any time.

On offense you have to do things to slow down the pass rush. The WR bubble screen does this. A HB screen (which we never use) would help. An end around with either Wallace or Brown. Quick short pass up the middle to Heath for 5 yards out of the pistol etc.

If you want to put the D back on their heals, you open up in pistol formation with 3 WR and Moore as the HB beside Ben.......then delay hand off.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-12-2011, 02:18 PM
On offense you have to do things to slow down the pass rush. The WR bubble screen does this. A HB screen (which we never use) would help. An end around with either Wallace or Brown. Quick short pass up the middle to Heath for 5 yards out of the pistol etc.

If you want to put the D back on their heals, you open up in pistol formation with 3 WR and Moore as the HB beside Ben.......then delay hand off.

:Agree

Would love to see an occasional HB screen, and some pistol formation with quick passes.
Minimize the slow-developing pass plays and the 5-7 step QB drops.

We will have to be sure to take care of the ball.

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2011, 02:37 PM

The pistol formation also helps out with Ben's broken thumb as well (in the midst of having his leg twisted to the point that his toes were facing backward, people tend to forget about that li'l old thumb on his throwing hand). The most painful thing that he's had to endure with that has been snaps from under center, so the pistol should help alleviate that as well.

Dee Dub
12-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Block Aldon Smith, stop Frank Gore, and get the ball to Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown often!!

NC Steeler Fan
12-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Wow, you just gotta love all the energy, aggression and enthusiasm in this thread!

It's kinda sexy! :D :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Wow, you just gotta love all the energy, aggression and enthusiasm in this thread!

If game planning is sexy, that must explain why Bruce Arians is revolting! :lol:

SteelCrazy
12-12-2011, 06:51 PM

"You know I be strippin' in the evenins' "

Flasteel
12-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Go no-huddle!
Ben knows the limitations on his ankle and how to best attack what he sees in front of him. There's been a lot of chatter about unleashing it more and we have yet to really see that. This is the perfect game to do it.

Regardless of who is calling the plays, I agree...attack their pass defense. Skelton hit them up for over 280 yards and a lot of that was YAC yards. I say a lot of quick slants and underneath crossing routes with our receivers and look for Miller down the seam all day. Our strength against their weakness. I like that match-up.

On defense, it's simple...stop Frank Gore. We can single-cover Crabtree, Davis, and whoever else they claim to have as their down-field threat. Stack the box, stop the run, and pressure A. Smith. Baltimore got nine sacks on that guy and harrassed him all night. Gore had 2.8 ypc in that close, low-scoring game.