PDA

View Full Version : Bens Replacement

Pit Bull
12-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Ben is closing in on 30 and we tried alot of other QB's after Bradshaw left. Brister O Donnell Kordell and Maddox. Refering to Green Bay having Rodgers for a number of years in waiting behind Favre.

Just thinking ahead remember Brady was a sixth rounder and what we have in Dixon.

Batch and Leftwich on far side of 30.

steelblood
12-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Is there a question here or are you simply pointing out that the Steelers should think about his replacement?

This is not a great QB draft after the first 3 or 4 prospects.

Luck and Barkley will go early. RGIII could be a heisman trophy winner and 1st round pick. After that, I see a lot of weak arms and system QBs. It may be difficult to find a good QB in the middle rounds this year. We certainly won't be drafting a QB in the first 2 rounds and probably not the third.

RuthlessBurgher
12-10-2011, 02:14 PM
After Luck, Barkley, Griffin, and Jones (all of which will likely go in the 1st round), are there are any quarterback prospects that are markedly better than what we have now? Would you be willing to spend a valuable 3rd or 4th round pick on the likes of Nick Foles or Kirk Cousins? Guys like Kellen Moore and Case Keenam were tremendously productive in college, but they look like undersized system QB's whose games don't necessarily translate to the pros.

That said, Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch, and Dennis Dixon are all unrestricted free agents after this season. Leftwich is brittle, Batch is old, and Dixon doesn't want to be here...it remains to be seen who gets brought back next year. We need to bring 4 arms to camp, and at least 1 of those 4 arms will be a rookie (either a late round pick or an UDFA).

SteelAbility
12-10-2011, 02:58 PM
I hear Rex Grossman will be available after the 2011 season is over. :lol: :lol: :lol:

CanadianSteel
12-10-2011, 03:22 PM
The thought of the Steelers without 7 is frighting and brings back memory's of 6-10 :(

With that being said it will soon be that time to look for the next Franchise QB.

At this point Batch is not NFL material, it has to be his last year on would think.

Snatch98
12-10-2011, 03:38 PM
I don't see the Steelers drafting a QB on the first day for a while unless someone with immense talent drops. I could see them taking a shot in the later rounds this season because as already mentioned Batch is pretty much done. He looks like a deer in headlights a majority of the time. I very comfortable with Bryon under center as a back up but do we retain him? Personally I think we do and who knows with Dixon. I can say I've never been comfortable with Dixon under center but he has pulled through on a few occasions. Who knows we may see a Ryan Mallet type scenario where a work in progress falls and he can learn behind Ben. We'll have 7 for a long time as long as he maintains his overall health. I trust the front office and Colbert but as Pit Bull suggested we should really be thinking about getting at least a solid back up. They'll do right by the team.

Pit Bull
12-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Since Mendenhall can't perform to expectations and we pass more than run trade him and Dixon to sweeten the pot.

Redman / Dwyer and Baron Batch maybe all we need. Trying out for Dance Show doesn't work with our team.

siss
12-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Ben's replacement is still in high school hoping to get some some peach fuzz he can shave off.

steelblood
12-10-2011, 05:31 PM
After Luck, Barkley, Griffin, and Jones (all of which will likely go in the 1st round), are there are any quarterback prospects that are markedly better than what we have now? Would you be willing to spend a valuable 3rd or 4th round pick on the likes of Nick Foles or Kirk Cousins? Guys like Kellen Moore and Case Keenam were tremendously productive in college, but they look like undersized system QB's whose games don't necessarily translate to the pros.

That said, Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch, and Dennis Dixon are all unrestricted free agents after this season. Leftwich is brittle, Batch is old, and Dixon doesn't want to be here...it remains to be seen who gets brought back next year. We need to bring 4 arms to camp, and at least 1 of those 4 arms will be a rookie (either a late round pick or an UDFA).

Jones will likely go in the first round, but without Broyles he has played like a 4th or 5th rounder.

Discipline of Steel
12-10-2011, 06:08 PM
I wouldnt be unhappy if we drafted Cousins. Not that i watch much college football, but Im a Spartan and have seen him play effectively in several high profile games this year.

RuthlessBurgher
12-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Since Mendenhall can't perform to expectations and we pass more than run trade him and Dixon to sweeten the pot.

Redman / Dwyer and Baron Batch maybe all we need. Trying out for Dance Show doesn't work with our team.

Dixon is free agent after this season. You can't trade a free agent.

jj28west
12-10-2011, 06:26 PM
What about trying Dixon in a spread offense like he flurished in at oregon? I just cant believe he is 3rd on the depth chart right now behind a player who is more of a coach then anything right now. He had a nice touch in college but I have not seen the game slowdown from him yet.

CanadianSteel
12-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Dixon is not the answer long term at QB, but i agree he should be number 2 at this point. Batch is the only guy i worry about when he is in. Sorry but he looks about 45 years old behind center. No disrespect intended.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Are we 100% that Ben is starting next Monday night? Think we might start prepping Dixon like he may be the man for a game or two? What's the smarter move right now? Play Ben on a bum ankle and shoot for the division, or sit Ben for 4 weeks & roll with Dixon still making the playoffs?

Snatch98
12-10-2011, 07:09 PM

We need Mendenhall. I would not be happy with just Redman and Moore under center and defense IMO would react accordingly. Redman is effective because he's not carrying the entire load. We need the threat in the backfield that can take it to the house when given the opportunity. He needs to hit the holes better no doubt but I think Redman pushing him aids in forcing him to make those kind of decisions. He has good vision but he's always trying to hit the home run and that's the problem. He has the athleticism to hit the homer but with our inconsistent line blocking right now stuff to the outside isn't holding up. Gilbert is going to get better and we need a Kemo replacement.

I also love Batch but we have no idea what we'll have when the games roll around. Mendnehall isn't going to demand the sun and the moon contract wise. It in my opinion would be dumb to let him walk. Additionally he's had plenty of success here and the Steelers usually resign their first rounders that aren't a headache (despite his politically incorrect statements). He's a high character guy. The Steelers aren't going to let him go.

NJ-STEELER
12-11-2011, 12:04 AM
i'd go as high as 3rd round (really a 4th with how low we draft) this year to draft a capable back up

JTP53609
12-11-2011, 10:31 PM
You know who I like that I could see being a good Steeler....
Russel Wilson, he is an athlete who could be very versitile for us, not to mention he is a smart qb who reminds me a little bit of drew brees.

Steel Life
12-12-2011, 12:56 AM
Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M...why not?

That said, there are a lot of serviceable vets who could be brought in...Leftwich, Anderson, Campbell, Henne...plenty of options to choose from.

focosteeler
12-12-2011, 01:31 AM
I wouldnt mind taking Patrick Witt in the 6th or 7th