PDA

View Full Version : Colt McCoy’s father rips Browns for handling of concussion

hawaiiansteel
12-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Colt McCoy’s father rips Browns for handling of concussion

By Cindy Boren
12/09/2011

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/WashingtonPost/Content/Blogs/early-lead/Images/135318886-199.jpg?uuid=dImfxiKREeGH0V5USPQV3g

Colt McCoy doesn’t remember the James Harrison hit that flattened him. (Justin K. Aller / Getty Images)

The father of Cleveland Browns quarterback Colt McCoy says his son doesn’t remember his helmet-to-helmet collision with Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison on Thursday night and that he should have not gone back into the game.

“I talked to Colt this morning and he said, ‘Dad, I don't know what happened, but I know I lost the game,’ ” Brad McCoy, a high school football coach and his son’s junior-high and high-school coach, told the Plain Dealer’s Mary Kay Cabot. “I know I let the team down. What happened?’ ”

McCoy left the game for two plays and threw an interception into the end zone three plays after he returned. The Browns lost, 14-3.

“He never should've gone back in the game,” Brad McCoy said. “He was basically out after the hit. You could tell by the ridigity of his body as he was laying there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_296w/WashingtonPost/Content/Blogs/early-lead/Images/Browns_Steelers_Football_06e94.jpg?uuid=7s04DCKQEe GH0V5USPQV3g

Colt McCoy’s left hand may be broken. (Don Wright / AP)

“There were a lot of easy symptoms that should've told them he had a concussion. He was nauseated and he didn't know who he was. From what I could see, they didn't test him for a concussion on the sidelines. They looked at his [left] hand.”

The Steelers were hit with a 15-yard roughing-the-passer penalty; Harrison may well be hit with a big fine for the play. And McCoy may also have broken his hand on the play. Browns Coach Pat Shurmur said McCoy was well enough to return to the field, but his father said that McCoy, who suffered a concussion in high school and at least one with the Browns, was anything but fine.

“After the game, the [media relations staff] made sure Colt's interview was brief and he couldn't face the lights in his press conference,” Brad McCoy said. “The TV lights and the stadium lights were killing him. Why would you say he was fine? That makes it even worse.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ear ... _blog.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/colt-mccoys-father-rips-browns-for-handling-of-concussion/2011/12/09/gIQAAXLSiO_blog.html)

pittpete
12-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Will we have the first case of someone sueing the NFL now?

Slapstick
12-09-2011, 03:40 PM
James Harrison will be fined and the Cleveland Browns will avoid any punishment whatsoever...

Jigawatts
12-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Will we have the first case of someone sueing the NFL now?

Nah, sounds like he's just laying the groundwork to force a trade out of Cleveland.
Hopefully David Stern blocks the trade. :lol:

snarky
12-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Can you imagine not knowing who you are and then slowly coming to the realization that you are a Cleveland Brown.

Seriously though, I hope he is OK.

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Can you imagine not knowing who you are and then slowly coming to the realization that you are a Cleveland Brown.

Seriously though, I hope he is OK.

My name is what? Colt?!?! C'mon...you're #&@%ing with me, right? :lol:

feltdizz
12-09-2011, 04:51 PM
not surprised his daddy wanted him to sit out... freaking guy needs to STFU. He ruined the BCS title game with that daddy knows best bullspit.

Eich
12-09-2011, 05:26 PM
I could definitely see the Browns getting into some hot water over this. I was shocked when he came back into the game. I thought there were strict rules and procedures in place for head injuries.

Not only that, McCoy's backup was doing just fine and may have scored on us.

SidSmythe
12-09-2011, 06:55 PM
all i know is Colt McCoy's mom is dreamy!!

hawaiiansteel
12-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Will father's criticism affect McCoy's future?

December, 9, 2011
By Jamison Hensley

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1209/nfl_g_mccpy_sy_300.jpg

Colt McCoy's father criticized the Browns for putting the quarterback into the game when he believes his son wasn't medically cleared to do so.

McCoy was knocked out of Thursday's night game in Pittsburgh after taking a helmet-to-helmet blow from Steelers linebacker James Harrison and returned after missing a couple of plays. He then threw a critical interception in the end zone on third-and-goal late in the fourth quarter with the Browns trailing 7-3.

From Colt McCoy's father: "I talked to Colt this morning and he said, 'dad, I don't know what happened, but I know I lost the game. I know I let the team down. What happened?'"

"He never should've gone back in the game,'' Brad McCoy told The Cleveland Plain Dealer. "He was basically out [cold] after the hit. You could tell by the ridigity of his body as he was laying there. There were a lot of easy symptoms that should've told them he had a concussion. He was nauseated and he didn't know who he was. From what I could see, they didn't test him for a concussion on the sidelines. They looked at his [left] hand.''

McCoy's father added that Colt doesn't remember anything about the game after the hit, saying, "I talked to Colt this morning and he said, 'dad, I don't know what happened, but I know I lost the game. I know I let the team down. What happened?''

Browns coach Pat Shurmur said after the game that McCoy wasn't groggy and "was fine to go back in." At today's press conference, Shurmur said McCoy began showing symptoms of a concussion as he was leaving the locker room and wouldn't have put him back in if he exhibited signs earlier. He also McCoy never mentioned anything about a loss of memory to him.

If the NFL finds evidence that the Browns didn't follow protocol, this could be a black mark on the franchise. But does this affect McCoy's future with the team? Absolutely not. It's difficult to think that the Browns would hold this against McCoy if they believe he is their franchise quarterback.

The bottom line in the NFL is finding a quarterback who can win games. Yes, this is a potential public relations nightmare. The bigger mistake is to compound one error in judgment with another.

The Browns likely will have a top-10 pick in the draft, and the question of using that selection on a quarterback will come up repeatedly. The answer won't be based on a father's outburst. The answer will come down to whether Mike Holmgren, Pat Shurmur and the rest of the organization think McCoy can lead this team to winning seasons, the playoffs and a championship.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation

CanadianSteel
12-10-2011, 12:50 PM
I don't think we can say to much about the Browns letting him back in. Just how many "stingers" have we had this year?

RuthlessBurgher
12-10-2011, 01:02 PM
I don't think we can say to much about the Browns letting him back in. Just how many "stingers" have we had this year?

Stingers aren't concussions, though. A stinger happens when you get pinched nerves in your neck/upper back that cause that burning pain/electric shock like feeling to move down your arm. A concussion is an injury caused when the brain itself impacts the inner skull. Both are serious, because they involve the central nervous system, but there are rules in place for what you must be able to pass before re-entering a game following a concussion (an imPACT test involving reaction time, memory, etc.). There are no such mandated requirements for stingers, because it is an entirely different type of injury.

CanadianSteel
12-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Yeah i know, i think you missed my point. I was talking about a few times this year (Ray Rays hit on Ward for example) the guy clearly takes a blow to the head and "word from the sideline" say it's a stinger to seemingly avoid the big bad "C" word.

hawaiiansteel
12-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Updated: December 11, 2011

Source: 'System failure' by Browns

By Chris Mortensen
ESPN

Beneath the headlines and anger of Colt McCoy's father after the Browns quarterback suffered a concussion Thursday via a helmet hit by the Steelers linebacker James Harrison is a medical review by the NFL and NFL Players Association which one union source is calling a "blatant system failure" by the Browns for failing to perform a sideline concussion exam and allowing McCoy to return to the game.

The initial league review determined the standard SCAT2 concussion test was not administered until Friday morning, which produced abnormal results.

The Browns medical staff said McCoy initially only complained about an injury to his left hand. Sources say the incident likely will be the catalyst to assigning an independent neurologist to each game in the future.

Browns coach Pat Shurmur said Friday he was confident the team's medical staff followed the NFL's strict guidelines on head injuries when they assessed McCoy on the sideline.

But McCoy's father, Brad, a longtime high school football coach, had been critical of the Browns' handling of his son, saying Colt couldn't remember the play that briefly knocked him out of the game.

Chris Mortensen is ESPN's senior NFL analyst.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/73412 ... em-failure (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7341272/source-colt-mccoy-case-cleveland-browns-system-failure)