PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think Harrison's hit won us the game?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-09-2011, 02:38 PM
The Colt was Dazed and Confused ...

And he'd been playing smart ball until then. Soon after the JHar's hit, he made that really DUMB pass into the EZ that BPWG (Big Play Willie Gay) picked off ... back foot throw, just threw it out there into tight coverage.

I'm thinking maybe he wasn't quite all there as a result of Harrison's tackle, and that's why he tried that pass.

What do you guys think?

pittpete
12-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Colt McCoy, QB CLE
News: The Plain Dealer reports Browns QB Colt McCoy's father, Brad, said Friday that his son shouldn't have returned to the game Thursday against the Steelers after taking a vicious helmet-to-helmet hit from Steelers LB James Harrison in the fourth quarter. "I talked to Colt this morning and he said, 'Dad, I don't know what happened, but I know I lost the game. I know I let the team down. What happened?,'" Brad said. "He never should've gone back in the game. He was basically out (cold) after the hit. You could tell by the ridigity of his body as he was laying there. There were a lot of easy symptoms that should've told them he had a concussion. He was nauseated and he didn't know who he was. From what I could see, they didn't test him for a concussion on the sidelines. They looked at his (left) hand.'' Shurmur said on Friday that McCoy didn't begin to experience concussion symptoms until after the game. "We go through the strict protocol to evaluate whether there's concussion-like symptoms," said Shurmur, who said the team handled McCoy's situation properly. Shurmur added that McCoy suffered a bruised left hand, but that injury shouldn't keep him out.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-09-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm sure Florio will be all over the Browns' handling of this situation!! :roll:

phillyesq
12-09-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm sure Florio will be all over the Browns' handling of this situation!! :roll:

Of all of Florio's crusades, the concussion issue is among the more irritating.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Colt McCoy, QB CLE
News: The Plain Dealer reports Browns QB Colt McCoy's father, Brad, said Friday that his son shouldn't have returned to the game Thursday against the Steelers after taking a vicious helmet-to-helmet hit from Steelers LB James Harrison in the fourth quarter. "I talked to Colt this morning and he said, 'Dad, I don't know what happened, but I know I lost the game. I know I let the team down. What happened?,'" Brad said. "He never should've gone back in the game. He was basically out (cold) after the hit. You could tell by the ridigity of his body as he was laying there. There were a lot of easy symptoms that should've told them he had a concussion. He was nauseated and he didn't know who he was. From what I could see, they didn't test him for a concussion on the sidelines. They looked at his (left) hand.'' Shurmur said on Friday that McCoy didn't begin to experience concussion symptoms until after the game. "We go through the strict protocol to evaluate whether there's concussion-like symptoms," said Shurmur, who said the team handled McCoy's situation properly. Shurmur added that McCoy suffered a bruised left hand, but that injury shouldn't keep him out.

Being out cold after a hit to the head ... that's a concussion. There is a large amount of lying going on, based on the above statements. I think legally if he were sent in to the game, but was determined to not in full possession of his faculties, the Browns could be in deep dimshee.

I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once, and I like lawyer shows on TV ... :D

BradshawsHairdresser
12-09-2011, 06:18 PM
McCoy was still dazed from the hit, and that no doubt contributed to the INT. If Shurmur had left Wallace in there, they may well have scored the TD. So I put it as much on Shurmur's decision as I do on Harrison's hit. But yeah, it was big, and if he didn't make that hit, we may well have lost.

Discipline of Steel
12-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Haha!!! I love it 92 my hero :tt1

steelz09
12-09-2011, 08:17 PM
No, I don't think his hit won us the game.

I think Ben playing the 2nd half won us the game.

Shoe
12-09-2011, 08:17 PM
No, it didn't win the game.

I'm more EXCITED to see him playing like James Harrison. Two weeks ago, watching him play whatever game it was, he looked like a shell of himself. Last week, he did look better. This week, he looked like his own self.

I'm excited that he will get 10 days off (hopefully no suspension)... and if his "sidekick" ever feels ready to bless us with his presence and earn some of his $60 million, we might have something.

hawaiiansteel
12-10-2011, 01:29 AM
Harrison awaits repercussions from hit

By Ralph N. Paulk, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 10, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-12-09/1210stjames-a.jpg

In the aftermath of the Steelers' sluggish 14-3 victory over Cleveland on Thursday night, an unapologetic James Harrison was somewhat perplexed about the roughing-the-passer penalty he incurred late in the fourth quarter.

Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy left the pocket to complete a pass to Montario Hardesty with 5:59 to play and the Browns trailing, 7-3. Harrison delivered a vicious helmet-to-helmet blow that left McCoy stretched out on the cold, ragged Heinz Field turf.

The penalty tacked on 15 yards, placed the ball on the Steelers' 19 and positioned the Browns to steal a rare victory in this one-sided AFC North rivalry. But five plays later, cornerback William Gay intercepted a hurried pass from a disoriented McCoy.

Harrison isn't likely to escape the wrath of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell when league officials deliberate next week to consider either a fine or suspension -- or both.

"From what I understand, once the quarterback leaves the pocket, he's a runner," Harrison said. "All the 'defenseless' liberties a quarterback has in the pocket are gone.

"You can tackle him just as if he's a running back. The hit wasn't late, so I really don't understand why it was called. We'll see what transpires later on in the week."

According to a league spokesman, Harrison's hit on McCoy probably will be reviewed early next week to determine whether referee Ed Hochuli's crew erred in penalizing Harrison for illegal contact to the head - a rule change tweaked specifically to protect "a passer who is in a defenseless posture."

Harrison clearly made contact with McCoy's helmet as he torpedoed his 255-pound body into the Browns' quarterback, who was exposed after releasing the pass. McCoy, who later complained of concussion-like symptoms, said he couldn't remember Harrison's hit. He was visibly dazed as he walked through the stadium corridor prior to his postgame interview.

Harrison and his agent, Bill Parise, are preparing for Goodell to deliver the next blow in a verbal sparring match that began when Harrison publicly ridiculed the commissioner during the NFL lockout for insinuating he's a dirty player.

However, it's Harrison's past that appears to give Goodell leverage to issue a significant fine. The All-Pro linebacker was fined more than $100,000 for three incidents last season, including a helmet-to-helmet blow to Cleveland wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi.

"There was nothing dirty about that (McCoy) hit," Parise said Friday. "There was nothing malicious about it. It was nothing more than a great player making a great play.

"I don't think anyone watching (Thursday) night - including the league office - feels that was a flagrant hit. It's just football. It was a tenth of a second between (McCoy) releasing the ball and James hitting him."

Parise acknowledged that he and Harrison exchanged text messages yesterday, but declined to say if their conversation centered on how they will move forward if the league opts to fine Harrison.

"There are a couple of issues here," Parise said. "The (league) will look at the tape, and I would want to hear what they say before James and I make a decision.

"I'm certainly willing to appeal. Right now, we're all sitting here saying, 'What if?' I think it's proven that appeals are basically worthless."

However, Parise convinced league officials last season to reduce two of Harrison's fines.

It may not factor into Goodell's decision, but the Steelers are among the most heavily fined teams in the league this season. Safeties Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu have both been fined twice this season, including Clark's $40,000 fine for his Nov. 6 hit on Ravens tight end Ed Dickson.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1g6RhGDtr (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_771327.html#ixzz1g6RhGDtr)