PDA

View Full Version : Did ANYONE think AB's catch SHOULD have been overturned?

Eich
12-09-2011, 02:25 PM
How was that not a catch???

I wasn't all that shocked that they overturned it. We've had messed up calls like that go against us before. But is there ANYONE outside of Goodell and Steelers haters that really thought that wasn't a catch?

chiken
12-09-2011, 06:42 PM
We got hosed on that one. Slow motion, Fast motion the ball never moved in his arms.

plainnasty
12-09-2011, 10:39 PM
The ball may have hit the ground. But there was abolutely nothing conclusive shown that would allow the call to be overturned.

I don't know how they justifed overturning the call unless they had a different angle that wasn't shown on TV.

papillon
12-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Instant replay sucks, always did, always will, all it does is slow the game down and they still can't get it right.

Pappy

sentinel33
12-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Was watching the game with a buddy of mine(who is a Ravens fan) and even he couldnt believe it was overturned. We both thought there wasn't enough evidence to overturn it-conclusive evidence. That one P'd me off.

So did the holding call that wasn't called on ogbananyu's 28 yard run up the gut. I thought it was Cobra(55) who got held. Looked pretty blatant to me.

Keyplay1
12-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Does anyone else remember that Ed Hochuli was the ref in the Steeler - New England AFCCG in 2001 I think----the 1st one--- the 9/11 one? Anyway in that game he overturned 2 or 3 on field rulings. I really do not like to see him officiate Steeler games. Although we have won most of them over the years.

Well, when they challenged that call, and they showed the replays which as everyone here has agreed AB caught the ball cleanly, his hands were underneath the ball and whether it brushed a blade of grass or not was a mute point by the new rules------I thought "Let's see you overturn this one you SOB." And, somehow he did. :I really thought it would be impossible to overturn that one.

Someone said they must have had a view none of us saw. Bull! If they did they would have instantly and again and again showed it.

plainnasty
12-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Does anyone else remember that Ed Hochuli was the ref in the Steeler - New England AFCCG in 2001 I think----the 1st one--- the 9/11 one? Anyway in that game he overturned 2 or 3 on field rulings. I really do not like to see him officiate Steeler games. Although we have won most of them over the years.

Well, when they challenged that call, and they showed the replays which as everyone here has agreed AB caught the ball cleanly, his hands were underneath the ball and whether it brushed a blade of grass or not was a mute point by the new rules------I thought "Let's see you overturn this one you SOB." And, somehow he did. :I really thought it would be impossible to overturn that one.

Someone said they must have had a view none of us saw. Bull! If they did they would have instantly and again and again showed it.
Everyone thinks that the Pats were lucky, and got to the Super Bowl, because of the "tuck rule". But they were much luckier with the calls against the Steelers in that AFCCG. No one ever talks about the forward lateral after the block FG, that went for a TD, and the Steelers couldn't challange it because they already had 2 sucessful challanges.

Keyplay1
12-11-2011, 06:21 AM
plainnasty said: "Everyone thinks that the Pats were lucky, and got to the Super Bowl, because of the "tuck rule". But they were much luckier with the calls against the Steelers in that AFCCG. No one ever talks about the forward lateral after the block FG, that went for a TD, and the Steelers couldn't challange it because they already had 2 sucessful challanges."

Yeah, he released the ball at the NE 48 and it was caught at the Steelers 48. I don't know if there is a penalty assessed on those type plays. Probably 5 yds from the NE 48. Certainly might have been a different outcome the way the Steeler D was playing that day.

Hey, it just dawned on me. This new rule in effect this year where all TD's are reviewed would have overturned that play. Not a bad rule at all but 10 years too late. :)

However, it was just in time to overrule the really spectacular play Mike Wallace made when his knee allegedly was on the ground. I'll admit it did look like his knee brushed the ground for an instant, but I'll bet if there was a camera on the ground it might show a sliver of daylight between his knee and the ground. Frankly, I didn't think any replays were conclusive. But what was really laughable was the guy in the booth kept yapping about how he picked up a pile of grass. I'm thinking is this guy nuts or what.

In regards to Wallace's play. He made a definite effort to get the ball inside the pylon. I was hoping he simply brushed the ball through the pylon since it would be a TD anyhow. It is one of the few rules I know. The pylon is in the EZ. I learned this from that famous play a couple years back when Detroit was playing Green Bay and right at the end of the game the Detroit receiver caught a pass in the EZ and his right foot came down a couple of yards in bounds and when he came down his left foot landed clearly a yard in bounds also. The referee immediately was giving that out of bounds signal. Everyone was puzzled including all the announcers and probably millions of fans. But what happened was as it was explained after the game by that well known official who used to holler "First Down: He said it was a no brainer and an easy call. What happened was the Detroit WR was racing down the right sideline and at about the one yard line he leaped in the air and his right foot brushed through the pylon. It was explained that the pylon is in the Ez and also is Out of Bounds. So of course the spectacular grab the receiver made was negated.

Come to think about it in Ben's very first game against Miami Hines Ward scored what probably was the winning points on a play in the same corner of the EZ. He dove into the pylon[veteran savvy] and the Steelers got a TD.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-11-2011, 02:08 PM
This was worse than the Ravens game when a ball that clearly was not a catch was ruled a catch by replay.