PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts

snarky
12-09-2011, 12:16 PM
1. Had to go to a bar to watch the game so I couldn't really hear what the announcers were saying but it seemed to me that there were two terrible calls last night. 1) I don't see how Brown's catch could possibly be overturned. Looked clean to me on the replay. 2) The encroachment call on Troy looked bad. It looked to me like the refs just got confused about what happened. Troy came up and got set on the line and then the guy moved. Am I wrong about these calls? Were they at all reasonable or were they simply blown calls?

2. At the end of the first half, the pass play was a bad call, IMO. We had the ability to just get out of the half and it was clear we weren't moving the ball with Batch. I was really surprised we didn't just pack it in and get to the locker room to regroup -- especially with the ball to start the second half.

3. Aside from some possible flaws on the runs at the goal line, I thought Mendy ran very well. He can be a good runner when he is aggressive and attacks the defense. Hope to see more of it.

papillon
12-09-2011, 12:20 PM
1. Had to go to a bar to watch the game so I couldn't really hear what the announcers were saying but it seemed to me that there were two terrible calls last night. 1) I don't see how Brown's catch could possibly be overturned. Looked clean to me on the replay. 2) The encroachment call on Troy looked bad. It looked to me like the refs just got confused about what happened. Troy came up and got set on the line and then the guy moved. Am I wrong about these calls? Were they at all reasonable or were they simply blown calls?

2. At the end of the first half, the pass play was a bad call, IMO. We had the ability to just get out of the half and it was clear we weren't moving the ball with Batch. I was really surprised we didn't just pack it in and get to the locker room to regroup -- especially with the ball to start the second half.

3. Aside from some possible flaws on the runs at the goal line, I thought Mendy ran very well. He can be a good runner when he is aggressive and attacks the defense. Hope to see more of it.

Yea, both calls were bad, Kiesel was actually flagged on the play, but the tackle moved first when he saw Polamalu moved up to the LOS.

The catch was just as pitiful , at worst, there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the call. I hate instant replay; I wish they would get rid of it, particularly, since they still get it wrong and it slows down the game.

Pappy

Steelerphile
12-09-2011, 05:07 PM
The holding call on Gay at the end that negated Mundy's INT was pitiful also. That was hardly a hold.

snarky
12-09-2011, 05:10 PM
The holding call on Gay at the end that negated Mundy's INT was pitiful also. That was hardly a hold.

Ah yeah, forgot about that one. Was it holding or illegal contact?

DukieBoy
12-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Goodell's Game of 1000 Rules has gotten way too big for the league's officiating.

Steelerphile
12-09-2011, 07:42 PM

Ah yeah, forgot about that one. Was it holding or illegal contact?

The referee signaled hold. Gay slightly touched the receiver beyond 5 yards but did not hold.

Dee Dub
12-09-2011, 08:18 PM
yeah snarky..I gotta agree with you. Those sure are "some thoughts". :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pittpete
12-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Was it holding or illegal contact?

Niether, but they called holding.

Want to see a good one, go back and watch the AB td throw.
Heath is lined up on the left side and gets absolutely mugged about 7 yards off the LOS and falls down to the floor.

DukieBoy
12-10-2011, 12:39 AM
McCoy's pass was too far ahead of the receiver, and it gave the illusion that the receiver was held and taken off his route. There was no hold, no illegal contact. Bad call and nothing else.

There were some bad calls that went against the Browns, too.
The refereeing has been largely incompetent this year. Too many rules to try to enforce and they get all confused. It slows the game way too much.

The league would do well to cut back on the rules, take away the 5 yard limit and let the D-backs bump and run all over the field until the ball is thrown, like it used to be. Fewer tick-tack penalties, and maybe fewer injuries b/c teams will play more man coverage a run with receivers rather than wait in zones to ambush them.