PDA

View Full Version : Anxiously awaiting injury news...

BradshawsHairdresser
12-09-2011, 09:53 AM
...regarding Ben, Pouncey, Troy, and Woodley; and about Harrison's possible suspension.

These are all HUGE considering we really have to win out to win our division.

Slapstick
12-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Why would Harrison be suspended?

He didn't Suh the guy...he just nailed him when Colt left the pocket and was running...

Considering the fact that Harrison hasn't been fined this year, he shouldn't be suspended...

BradshawsHairdresser
12-09-2011, 11:42 AM

He didn't Suh the guy...he just nailed him when Colt left the pocket and was running...

Considering the fact that Harrison hasn't been fined this year, he shouldn't be suspended...

Hope you're right, but there's lots of talk that he's going to be suspended...considering his history with Goodell, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

papillon
12-09-2011, 11:48 AM

Hope you're right, but there's lots of talk that he's going to be suspended...considering his history with Goodell, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

Shouldn't have even been a penalty on the play let alone him getting suspended. McCoy was a running back at that point of the play. Mendenhall received a H2H on the goal line or maybe earlier in the game and the announcers even made mention of the fact that running backs are not protected species in the NFL and the hit was fine.

If a quarterback becomes a runner he should also become unprotected, IMO.

Pappy

snarky
12-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Pouncey out for the season with a high tummy ache. :lol: :lol:

BradshawsHairdresser
12-09-2011, 12:11 PM

Shouldn't have even been a penalty on the play let alone him getting suspended. McCoy was a running back at that point of the play. Mendenhall received a H2H on the goal line or maybe earlier in the game and the announcers even made mention of the fact that running backs are not protected species in the NFL and the hit was fine.

Pappy

Believe me, I agree with you, but others aren't seeing it that way. There are writers calling for Harrison's suspension. I'm afraid it's likely they'll get it.

papillon
12-09-2011, 12:17 PM

Pappy

Believe me, I agree with you, but others aren't seeing it that way. There are writers calling for Harrison's suspension. I'm afraid it's likely they'll get it.

Lets hope that some candy @ss writers don't have a say in suspensions that can be handed out in the NFL. He should be fined (by the letter of the law) and it's only his first time this year, so it shouldn't be huge.

Pappy

Dee Dub
12-09-2011, 12:29 PM

Funny...but the fact is...him leaving games is becoming a habit. I guess his pain tolerance isn't as high as Ben's.

Slapstick
12-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Funny...but the fact is...him leaving games is becoming a habit. I guess his pain tolerance isn't as high as Ben's.

Habit? I don't think that word means what you think it means...

And, after everything he's played through in his career, I don't think any pro football player, with the possible exception of James Harrison, has a pain tolerance as high as Ben's...

snarky
12-09-2011, 12:38 PM

Right. Because all injuries are the same and the physical demands of each position are the same too.

papillon
12-09-2011, 12:41 PM

Right. Because all injuries are the same and the physical demands of each position are the same too.

No other position except quarterback could have played on Ben's left ankle last night. Had the sprain been on Ben's right ankle he wouldn't have been able to play either. The Steelers and Ben were fortunate that the ankle that was sprained was Ben's stepping foot and not his plant foot.

Every other position on the field requires being able to cut or push off for leverage. If Ben had to do either he would have been sitting.

Pappy

SteelCrazy
12-09-2011, 12:50 PM

No other position except quarterback could have played on Ben's left ankle last night. Had the sprain been on Ben's right ankle he wouldn't have been able to play either. The Steelers and Ben were fortunate that the ankle that was sprained was Ben's stepping foot and not his plant foot.

Every other position on the field requires being able to cut or push off for leverage. If Ben had to do either he would have been sitting.

Pappy

AH HA! Someone gets it....

phillyesq
12-09-2011, 01:13 PM

Pappy

Thanks Pappy -- always nice to read a post from a voice of reason.

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2011, 01:41 PM

You think a lack of pain tolerance is the issue? Did you see him when Kemoeatu tried to come in for him on consecutive plays, but Pouncey wouldn't leave the field (when the Browns called timeouts on back-to-back plays near the end of the first half). Pain tolerance isn't the issue for o-linemen with a high ankle sprain. They need to be able to push 300+ men out of the way, which is simply not possible with a high ankle sprain. Even if he got a painkilling shot at halftime (like Ben got) his ankle wouldn't have allowed even mediocre pass protection and run blocking against players with NFL talent (even if they do play for the Browns).

Dee Dub
12-09-2011, 01:47 PM
It will be interesting to see what is said on this forum about Pouncey the next time he has to leave a game.

There were several last night in the game chat that had some not so nice comments about him. Maybe it was all the alcohol flowing???

snarky
12-09-2011, 02:00 PM
It will be interesting to see what is said on this forum about Pouncey the next time he has to leave a game.

There were several last night in the game chat that had some not so nice comments about him. Maybe it was all the alcohol flowing???

Yes. It will be interesting to see who throws him under the bus without having any facts regarding why he is out.

Dee Dub
12-09-2011, 02:40 PM

Yes. It will be interesting to see who throws him under the bus without having any facts regarding why he is out.

No..I think it is more of a frustration that Pouncey can't manage to stay on the field with out some type of injury.

snarky
12-09-2011, 02:50 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":3j2c9fau]It will be interesting to see what is said on this forum about Pouncey the next time he has to leave a game.

No..I think it is more of a frustration that Pouncey can't manage to stay on the field with out some type of injury.[/quote:3j2c9fau]

Didn't you say in the tummy-ache thread that you have no problem with guys coming out if they have sustained an injury?

Dee Dub
12-09-2011, 03:25 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":26pmtx6p]It will be interesting to see what is said on this forum about Pouncey the next time he has to leave a game.

No..I think it is more of a frustration that Pouncey can't manage to stay on the field with out some type of injury.

Didn't you say in the tummy-ache thread that you have no problem with guys coming out if they have sustained an injury?[/quote:26pmtx6p]

I was referring to what others were saying last night in the game thread. Dude..do you even read what I actually am saying?

steelsnis
12-09-2011, 03:31 PM
No one complains about the guy in your avatar pic having a low pain-threshold do they? Yet he seems to leave his fair share of games early.

Just sayin...

snarky
12-09-2011, 04:39 PM
[quote=snarky][quote="Dee Dub":2mdevakj]It will be interesting to see what is said on this forum about Pouncey the next time he has to leave a game.

Didn't you say in the tummy-ache thread that you have no problem with guys coming out if they have sustained an injury?[/quote:2mdevakj]

I was referring to what others were saying last night in the game thread. Dude..do you even read what I actually am saying?[/quote:2mdevakj]

OK, sorry. I from your posts in this thread that you somehow objected to him coming out of the game. My bad.

feltdizz
12-09-2011, 04:49 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":tz8bia7u]It will be interesting to see what is said on this forum about Pouncey the next time he has to leave a game.

No..I think it is more of a frustration that Pouncey can't manage to stay on the field with out some type of injury.[/quote:tz8bia7u]

you sure it's not frustration that you reached last week and will now do anything to prove you were right?

steeler_george
12-12-2011, 06:01 AM
I hope that they do rest Ben and Pouncey for the SF game. With a limping Pouncey, Ben is more vulnerable. And maybe keep them fresh till the Cleveland game. Got to think long term, rather than short term. As long we are in the play offs we can beat anyone.

I believe Troy should see some action. Woodley still a question mark.

Harrison, it is a shame that the league is turning into a pu ss y league, but rules are rules. With his nasty reputation, he is being John Ramboed by the league, for doing just doing his job.

AND PLEASE DO NOT SAY THE LEAGUE IS AGAINST THE STEELERS!!! I THINK THIS CONSPIRACY THEORY IS THE DUMBEST THING AND THE BIGGEST PET PEEVE OF MINE.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-13-2011, 02:14 AM
Pouncey says he and Ben will play. I suspect Woodley might be done until the playoffs. Harrison suspension sounding more and more likely (though some posters here probably still think there's no chance of it). Hope Troy is at 100% for this game.

I'm more worried about our D than our offense for this one...I am actually thinking that Ben will probably have a really good showing vs. the 49ers.

hawaiiansteel
12-13-2011, 02:49 AM
Roethlisberger, Pouncey have mildest form of ankle sprains

Tuesday, December 13, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger and Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey have been diagnosed with high-ankle sprains that could have turned out a lot worse.

Pouncey said his sprain is not nearly as bad as the one that kept him out of Super Bowl XLV and expects to play Monday night in San Francisco.

Roethlisberger and Pouncey each have Grade 1 ankle sprains -- the least damaging type of sprain (Grade 3 is the most severe). But, unlike Pouncey, who was injured in the second quarter against the Cleveland Browns and did not return, Roethlisberger returned to the game in the second half.

Pouncey made the same "I will play" declaration before the Super Bowl, even though the coaches and trainers knew he wasn't going to play. Pouncey injured the same ankle in the AFC championship game against the New York Jets.

But he said this is different.

"That was terrible the first time," Pouncey said Monday after receiving treatment on his ankle. "It's nowhere near that there. That was season ending. This is not."

Roethlisberger did not attend practice and was not available afterward in the locker room. He was told to wear a protective boot on his left ankle and, according to his agent, "will need rest."

"We'll be fine," Pouncey said, "But his is pretty serious."

None of the Steelers, though, would even begin to consider the possibility of Roethlisberger not playing. Not after what they witnessed against the Browns.

"Ben's a different breed," inside linebacker James Farrior said. "There's no telling what he's going to do."

Pouncey is no longer wearing a boot and said his injury already feels much better than it did Thursday night.

"I feel like I can do a little something on it," Pouncey said. "It just needs the right rest, the right rehab to it, right now."

"It's a sprain, but it will be fine. It could be worse; it could be a lot worse, actually."

Sanders ailing

Wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders did not play against the Browns because he has developed inflammation in his surgically repaired right foot, and it might be a while before he returns.

The Steelers are being cautious with Sanders, who had surgery on both feet during the offseason, and don't want to use him again until they are sure he is totally healthy. They don't want the problem to recur in the postseason.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11347/11 ... z1gOJGsV3H (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11347/1196464-66.stm#ixzz1gOJGsV3H)

BradshawsHairdresser
12-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Wonder if Sanders will ever have a healthy season? Seems like he's been hurt almost as much as he's played.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-13-2011, 01:19 PM

Pappy

Lets hope that some candy @ss writers don't have a say in suspensions that can be handed out in the NFL. He should be fined (by the letter of the law) and it's only his first time this year, so it shouldn't be huge.

Pappy

:( Sorry to say, my concerns were warranted. You guys forgot, Goodell is in charge....

SteelBucks
12-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Here's some injury news from today's PC...

Steelers' Roethlisberger, Pouncey questionable for Niners game
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin categorized quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and center Maurkice Pouncey as "questionable" for Monday night's game in San Francisco, saying about their high ankle sprains, "we'll see where the week takes us."

He also said safety Troy Polamalu would be questionable with a hamstring injury.

Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, however, is expected to play, Tomlin said.

First published on December 13, 2011 at 12:26 pm

BradshawsHairdresser
12-13-2011, 02:27 PM

Did Tomlin say whether Woodley would be ready to go full-time, or will he be platooning with Worilds? Huge difference.

RuthlessBurgher
12-13-2011, 02:34 PM

Did Tomlin say whether Woodley would be ready to go full-time, or will he be platooning with Worilds? Huge difference.

Well, since Harrison won't play, they'd likely have Woodley starting on one side and Worilds starting on the other, with Chris Carter spelling them both (I hope...I want to keep Timmons inside to deal with Frank Gore...moving Timmons to OLB turns him into the invisible man...and since the majority of their offense is built around Gore, I'd rather not rely on Farrior and Foote inside if we could avoid it).

hawaiiansteel
12-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Ed: Woodley to Play; Ben, Pouncey Maybe

TUESDAY, 13 DECEMBER 2011 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Coach Mike Tomlin opened his press conference today by saying the Steelers will "accept" the one-game suspension of linebacker James Harrison.

Harrison cannot practice with the Steelers or even show up at their training facility. However, if he appeals as his agent has promised to do, he could be reinstated until the appeal is heard and a decision rendered.

Tomlin also categorized quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and center Maurkice Pouncey as "questionable" for Monday night's game in San Francisco, saying about their high ankle sprains "we'll see where the week takes us.''

He also said safety Troy Polamalu would be questionable with a hamstring injury.

Tomlin did issue one bit of good news, that LaMarr Woodley is expected to play.

"We're disappointed,'' Tomlin said of Harrison's suspension for hitting Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy in the head last Thursday. "We're disappointed for James because we know how hard he's worked to play within the rules.''

However, "he has to be accountable for that so we accept the judgment rendered by the league office."

Tomlin continued: "He can't participate in any football activities with us this week. He'll be allowed in the building next Tuesday. There is an appeals process . . . Iff he's going to do it I imagine it will transpire pretty quickly" but Tomlin said the Steelers "have to prepare as if he's not going to play."

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... ncey-maybe (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/113850-ed-woodley-to-play-ben-pouncey-maybe)

fordfixer
12-14-2011, 02:35 AM
Roethlisberger “day-to-day” with ankle injury

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... hlisberger (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AgkT758gTUtM6_VXBQXbEsZDubYF?slug=ap-steelers-roethlisberger)

Roethlisberger left last Thursday’s 14-3 win over Cleveland in the second quarter after turning the ankle while getting sacked. He returned to throw for 178 yards and a touchdown in the second half.

Neither Roethlisberger nor center Maurkice Pouncey, who is also dealing with a sprained left ankle, practiced on Monday.

Tomlin says Roethlisberger will have to practice at some point this week if he intends to play, adding he believes the extra day of rest will almost certainly benefit the quarterback.

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley (strained left hamstring) and defensive end Ziggy Hood (right hamstring) are expected to play.

hawaiiansteel
12-15-2011, 02:07 AM
Tomlin optimistic Big Ben can prep for 49ers on limited reps

NFL.com Wire Reports
Published: Dec. 14, 2011

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin considers Ben Roethlisbeger day to day this week as he recovers from a left ankle injury, but knows his quarterback won't need much practice time to play against the San Francisco 49ers.

Tomlin told Bay Area reporters during a conference call Wednesday that Roethlisberger would not require a lot of practice time this week to be prepared to face the 49ers on Monday night, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

"He can be ready to play on a limited number of snaps," Tomlin said. "At the end of the week when we get into some situational football things, that's going to require some physical preparation in some form or fashion. But we're going to take it day by day. We're always going to be optimistic when it comes to Ben."

Roethlisberger left last Thursday's 14-3 win over the Cleveland Browns during the second quarter, but returned to throw for 178 yards and a touchdown during the second half.

Roethlisberger hasn't practiced since his injury and declined to talk to reporters Wednesday as he sported a walking boot while walking with a noticeable limp out of the team's facility. Tomlin said Tuesday that Roethlisberger was working "tirelessly" to be on the field against the 49ers, but that he would have to practice at some point this week in order to play. He will be evaluated throughout the week before a decision is made.

Center Maurkice Pouncey is also dealing with a sprained left ankle but is hopeful to play. So is linebacker LaMarr Woodley (strained left hamstring) and safety Troy Polamalu (right hamstring). Polamalu didn't practice on Wednesday but expects to try later in the week.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... mited-reps (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8250c786/article/tomlin-optimistic-big-ben-can-prep-for-49ers-on-limited-reps)

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2011, 10:16 AM
I'd start Ben but have both Batch and Dixon active. If Ben's ankle tightens up, then replace him with Batch, who will have taken the majority of the starter's reps at practice this week. I'd use Dixon in goalline situations. With Ben's ankle limiting him from scrambling and QB sneaks in close, I think DD would at least give the opposition something else to think about when we are close to scoring (quick snap QB sneak, delayed QB draw, RB RUTFM, RB toss outside, fade route to the corner of the end zone, etc.).

snarky
12-15-2011, 11:36 AM
If Batch starts, what are the odds he ends up on IR my noon on Tuesday?

BradshawsHairdresser
12-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Woodley will play Monday, but his snaps will be limited...

...per KFFL.

hawaiiansteel
12-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Pouncey 'Not Expected' To Play, Roethlisberger May Miss Monday Night

by Neal Coolong on Dec 17, 2011

Post-Gazette reporter Gerry Dulac tweeted Saturday C Maurkice Pouncey isn't expected to play in Pittsburgh's Week 15 game at San Francisco. He's recovering from a high ankle sprain sustained in Week 14.

QB Ben Roethlisberger was limited in practice Friday, and did not practice Thursday. If he cannot practice today, he will not play Monday.

Starting LG Doug Legursky will replace Pouncey at center, and veteran OL Trai Essex will move over to the left guard position.

QB Charlie Batch will start in place of Roethlisberger.

It's a rough game to be without Pouncey or Roethlisberger. San Francisco is the league's top scoring defense (14 points a game), and is fourth in yards per game (305.1). With the Steelers trailing only San Francisco in scoring defense (15.2, and having surrendered just 19 points in their last three games (3-0), it looks like the defense will have to step up if Pittsburgh is to pull off a road win.

SS Troy Polamalu has been limited in practice this week, but is still expected to play. Jason Worilds, who will start over the suspended James Harrison, may face a back-up himself, as it appears LT Joe Staley may not be able to play for the 49ers. Staley suffered concussion-like symptoms in San Francisco's 21-19 loss at Arizona in Week 14. Alex Boone would replace him in that situation.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... joe-staley (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/12/17/2642360/nfl-week-15-ben-roethlisberger-maurkice-pouncey-injury-report-san-francisco-49ers-joe-staley)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Pouncey 'Not Expected' To Play, Roethlisberger May Miss Monday Night

by Neal Coolong on Dec 17, 2011

Post-Gazette reporter Gerry Dulac tweeted Saturday C Maurkice Pouncey isn't expected to play in Pittsburgh's Week 15 game at San Francisco. He's recovering from a high ankle sprain sustained in Week 14.

QB Ben Roethlisberger was limited in practice Friday, and did not practice Thursday. If he cannot practice today, he will not play Monday.

Starting LG Doug Legursky will replace Pouncey at center, and veteran OL Trai Essex will move over to the left guard position.

QB Charlie Batch will start in place of Roethlisberger.

It's a rough game to be without Pouncey or Roethlisberger. San Francisco is the league's top scoring defense (14 points a game), and is fourth in yards per game (305.1). With the Steelers trailing only San Francisco in scoring defense (15.2, and having surrendered just 19 points in their last three games (3-0), it looks like the defense will have to step up if Pittsburgh is to pull off a road win.

SS Troy Polamalu has been limited in practice this week, but is still expected to play. Jason Worilds, who will start over the suspended James Harrison, may face a back-up himself, as it appears LT Joe Staley may not be able to play for the 49ers. Staley suffered concussion-like symptoms in San Francisco's 21-19 loss at Arizona in Week 14. Alex Boone would replace him in that situation.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... joe-staley (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/12/17/2642360/nfl-week-15-ben-roethlisberger-maurkice-pouncey-injury-report-san-francisco-49ers-joe-staley)

That and that alone would be enough to sit Ben and take a loss so as to live and fight another day, IMO.

Do the math:

. . Essex at guard
+ Immobile Ben

SteelBucks
12-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Roethlisberger questionable, Pouncey out against San Francisco 12/17/2011 2:08 PM By Ralph N. Paulk, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 17, 2011

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger didn't favor his injured left ankle as much today as he has much of this week, but he's listed as questionable for Monday night's game at San Francisco.

While there's a 50 percent chance Roethelisberger will be in the lineup despite a high ankle sprain, center Maurkice Pouncey (ankle sprain) is among three players who will sit out a game in which the Steelers (10-3) can clinch a playoff spot with a victory at Candlestick Park. Wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot) and outside linebacker Chris Carter (hamstring) will sit.

Safety Troy Polamalu has been limited in practice some by a sore hamstring and is listed as probable along with offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert. Gilbert, who was hospitalized on Thursday, is still recovering from an infection.

Also, wide receiver Arnaz Battle (hamstring) and cornerback Curtis Brown (knee) are questionable.

If Roethlisberger is unable to go, Batch will get the start. Coach Mike Tomlin could go with three quarterbacks if he activates Dennis Dixon.

?I haven't talked to anyone yet, but I would think I'll be activated,? Dixon said. ?I got a couple of reps, which is always good. I prepared myself as if I'm going to play every week. I'm looking forward to it if it happens.?

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who missed last Thursday's 14-3 win over Cleveland after aggravating an already sore hamstring against Cincinnati, expects to play against the 49ers.

?I didn't feel anything with the hamstring,? Woodley said. ?I'm just worrying about us all being on the right page.?

fezziwig
12-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Do not the Steelers allow any of the QB's to toss the ball around during practices ?
I always figure while Ben is working with the first team Charlie and Dennis are taking turns with the second team.

WindyCitySteel
12-18-2011, 10:17 AM
I thought Pouncey had the better chance at returning because this was his 2nd HAS? His mouth needs to stop writing checks his ankle can't cash. 2nd straight time he guaranteed he'd play after hurting his ankle, 2nd straight time he was wrong.

RuthlessBurgher
12-19-2011, 02:49 PM
I thought Pouncey had the better chance at returning because this was his 2nd HAS? His mouth needs to stop writing checks his ankle can't cash. 2nd straight time he guaranteed he'd play after hurting his ankle, 2nd straight time he was wrong.

Pouncey's ankle needs to be stable enough to push off against 300+ pound d-linemen.

Roethlisberger's ankle needs to be stable enough to push off when throwing a 1 pound ball.