PDA

View Full Version : Antonio's Brown's 5 for 151 give him 55 for 925 in 13 games!

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2011, 01:01 AM
The young 6th round pick that we got (along with Bryant McFadden) in exchange for the 5th round pick we acquired for Santonio Holmes is already significantly better than Holmes himself (41 catches for 552 yards in 12 games this year). Amazing.

hawaiiansteel
12-09-2011, 01:03 AM
that really was a beautiful catch and run to seal the game... :tt2

how did this guy last until the 6th round?

Eddie Spaghetti
12-09-2011, 01:04 AM
don't forget his return yardage.

kid is a machine.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-09-2011, 02:04 AM

Two words.........Central Michigan

NJ-STEELER
12-09-2011, 02:39 AM
great player

but i think his numbers would suffer a bit if sanchez was his quarterback

Scarletfire1970
12-09-2011, 08:21 AM
The young 6th round pick that we got (along with Bryant McFadden) in exchange for the 5th round pick we acquired for Santonio Holmes is already significantly better than Holmes himself (41 catches for 552 yards in 12 games this year). Amazing.
Holmes numbers would be better if he had Ben as his QB.

steelblood
12-09-2011, 08:32 AM
To be fair to Holmes, he does have a terrible QB and an OC that would prefer to run the ball. But, I feel that Brown is at least as good. It is really hard to compare them. I prefer Brown's attitude and love the way he has earned Ben's confidence. I'm very glad he is on this team and he'll be dirt cheap next season too. Great draft pick.

Slapstick
12-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Last night during the post-game interview with the NFL Network crew, I thought he sounded like Tomlin wrote his dialogue...

He said something like, "It wasn't our best game, but we made the plays that we needed to make in situational football."

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Holmes numbers would be better if he had Ben as his QB.

Interesting note (a more direct comparison):

In Santonio's second year in the league, with Ben as his quarterback, he played in 13 games (starting all 13). He had 52 catches for 942 yards.

In Antonio's second year in the league, with Ben as his quarterback, he played in 13 games so far (starting 2 of them). He has 55 catches for 925 yards.

Holmes had more touchdowns (8 vs. 2) but Brown offers more on kickoff and punt returns (interestingly enough, Holmes didn't return a single punt or kick in his second year...as a rookie he returned 26 punts and 18 kicks, and in his 3rd year he returned 34 punts and 0 kicks, but no special teams whatsoever in year 2).

If you figure in the the better value (1st round vs. 6th round), plus the better attitude (no run-ins with police), I'm THRILLED with what this kid brings to the table.

Oviedo
12-09-2011, 10:14 AM
It could be real tough to resign Brown if we keep waiting. I think he has made more critical plays this season than even Wallace.

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2011, 10:20 AM
It could be real tough to resign Brown if we keep waiting. I think he has made more critical plays this season than even Wallace.

If we keep waiting??? He's in year two, and we don't negotiate during the season. Are you bemoaning the fact that we did not extend this guy to a long term deal after a rookie season in which he caught 16 balls for 167 yards?

When have we ever extended the contract of someone in year two anyway?

People keep saying this about Brown, but why do I never hear it about Maurkice Pouncey? He's in year two as well. Will it be real tough to resign Pouncey if we keep waiting?

snarky
12-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Dear Cleveland,

Our Browns are better than your Browns.

papillon
12-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Dear Cleveland,

:P

Pappy

NorthCoast
12-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Make no mistake, Brown is turning into an awesome WR. But, without Wallace to pull coverage his way I don't think Brown's numbers would look as good.

Dee Dub
12-09-2011, 08:48 PM

Agreed but the throw was even better. Back shoulder. Nice. I sure hope this is something that Ben and his core is starting to develop. The back shoulder pass can be hard to defend.

On another note, Antonio Brown is fast becoming one of the greatest Steeler draft picks of all time. 6th round? Are you kidding me?

7 UP
12-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Dear Cleveland,

Literally.

Antonio Brown 7
Cleveland Browns 3

7 UP
12-09-2011, 09:34 PM
I love AB. Ive loved him since camp last year. I thought he deserved more snaps than Manny Sanders last year. But Sanders was looking pretty darn good in his own right, so it was hard to complain.

I might be alone in this but I think AB is the most complete WR on the Steelers roster right now. I think hes a better all around receiver than Wallace. Thats not a knock on Wallace. Brown is that freaking good.

flippy
12-10-2011, 08:04 AM
WRs are fun. They make the game cute.

But as long as we have Ben, he'll make any WRs we put on the field.

I hope we don't overpay these WRs.

Remember the formula QB + Defense = Championships.

WRs are rounding errors in that equation.

papillon
12-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Make no mistake, Brown is turning into an awesome WR. But, without Wallace to pull coverage his way I don't think Brown's numbers would look as good.

I think the same thing can be said about every good to great WR.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
12-10-2011, 12:47 PM

:lol:

SidSmythe
12-10-2011, 09:45 PM

I think the same thing can be said about every good to great WR.

Pappy

:Agree

there's a misconception in the NFL that no #2 WRs can be great without the #1 WR on the opposite side. Personally I think Brown is better than Wallace at this stage of his game. Brown is dangerous everywhere on the field and if u heard the announcers the other night ... Brown is an extremely hard worker

Shoe
12-12-2011, 12:44 AM
To be fair to Holmes, he does have a terrible QB and an OC that would prefer to run the ball. But, I feel that Brown is at least as good. It is really hard to compare them. I prefer Brown's attitude and love the way he has earned Ben's confidence. I'm very glad he is on this team and he'll be dirt cheap next season too. Great draft pick.

I don't think it's hard to compare them. I think Brown's professionalism (e.g. work ethic)gives him the edge. For the record, he had four years with Ben. AB has already surpassed three of Santonio's efforts with Ben, and had one (his last) which will be generally where AB ends this season.

I'm not discounting Santonio's big-play efforts with the team. He was a very good Steeler for us for those years. But his (lack of) professionalism ran him out of town, while AB is lauded for his professionalism.

hawaiiansteel
12-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Antonio Brown no longer a Steelers secret

DEC 17
By Jamison Hensley

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1216/nfl_u_brown11_576.jpg

Second-year receiver Antonio Brown has become the Pittsburgh Steelers' No. 1 playmaker on offense.

After making a game-breaking play against the Bengals, the Steelers' Antonio Brown was talking to a swarm of reporters until quarterback Ben Roethlisberger asked to speak to the wide receiver off to the side.

Brown came back to his locker with a big grin on his face. So, what did Roethlisberger whisper to him?

"I can't reveal our secrets," Brown said coyly.

Well, there's one secret that can't be kept any longer: Brown is the top playmaker on the Steelers.

He first bypassed Hines Ward on the depth chart. He then climbed past Mike Wallace as the go-to target. Not bad for a sixth-round pick out of Central Michigan.

In a matter of a months, Brown went from the Steelers' promising No. 3 wide receiver to the popular No. 1 target when Pittsburgh needs to finish off a team.

It happened two weeks ago against Cincinnati when Brown returned a punt 60 yards for a touchdown to answer a Bengals touchdown and essentially put the game away before halftime. It happened again last week against Cleveland when Brown took a short pass and turned it into a 79-yard touchdown to close out the game with 2:52 remaining.

The Steelers might need to rely on Brown even more Monday night at San Francisco if Roethlisberger can't play on his injured ankle.

"He is improving in all areas -- in route-running, coverage recognition, being quarterback-friendly and just an overall understanding of the game and how he fits in the big picture," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said of Brown. "That's what we expect of all second-year men, to grow by leaps and bounds in all areas, and he has done that to this point."

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1216/nfl_u_AntonioBrown_cmg_300.jpg

Antonio Brown's 79-yard touchdown against Cleveland sealed a Steelers' victory.
Brown, the 195th player taken in the 2010 draft, has improved "by leaps and bounds" in this season alone.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Brown averaged 43.7 yards receiving with no touchdowns and no 100-yard performances in his first nine games this season. In the past four games, however, he has averaged 94.7 yards receiving with two touchdowns and three 100-yard games.

An argument could be made that wide receiver Mike Wallace remains the Steelers' most dangerous threat because of his speed. But Brown has been the team's most consistent threat based on his production.

"[The Steelers] have a guy No. 84 in Antonio Brown who is better than 17 [Wallace] in all aspects of the game," Ravens cornerback Lardarius Webb said last month.

Brown flashed his potential last season when he beat Webb for a 58-yard catch, the critical late play in the Steelers' divisional playoff win over the Ravens. He's just taken it to the next level this year.

"I always knew I was capable," Brown told The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "It's a league of opportunities, and that's all it's about."

The real "secret" to Brown's success has been his bond with Roethlisberger. Brown leads the Steelers in passes thrown his way with 97, which is eight more than Wallace. He also ranks second in the AFC with 23 third-down receptions, which shows that Roethlisberger looks to him in pressure situations.

These numbers aren't being produced by talent alone. It's the result of hard work and long talks.

"If you watch us during practice, he's constantly by my side," Roethlisberger said. "He's just always right there, and it's good because he's coming to me asking 'OK, Ben on this play do you want me to do this, do you want me to do this?' And I think that's awesome because I know where he's going to be, and that's one of the biggest reasons why I think we've been so successful on third down."

Brown's biggest strength is his versatility. He can beat a team as a wide receiver or as a returner. He can beat a cornerback deep or show off his elusiveness by grabbing a short toss, spinning around a defender with a fake and racing untouched to the end zone.

"When you get single coverage and a guy that's as talented as he is, with body control, with his hands, he's got the speed to run deep," Roethlisberger said. "He just has a lot of tools [and] he puts in the extra work."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... ers-secret (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/50227/antonio-brown-is-no-longer-a-steelers-secret)

steelblood
12-17-2011, 05:01 PM

I don't think it's hard to compare them. I think Brown's professionalism (e.g. work ethic)gives him the edge. For the record, he had four years with Ben. AB has already surpassed three of Santonio's efforts with Ben, and had one (his last) which will be generally where AB ends this season.

I'm not discounting Santonio's big-play efforts with the team. He was a very good Steeler for us for those years. But his (lack of) professionalism ran him out of town, while AB is lauded for his professionalism.

Yeah, my post was in reference to someone comparing their numbers for the year. If you really think that is fair, then you must be a huge Mark Sanchez fan.

WindyCitySteel
12-17-2011, 06:09 PM

But as long as we have Ben, he'll make any WRs we put on the field.

I hope we don't overpay these WRs.

Remember the formula QB + Defense = Championships.

WRs are rounding errors in that equation.

Eh, I don't know. I don't think you throw Limas Sweed, Fred Gibson, and Danny Farmer out there and have as much success.

WindyCitySteel
12-17-2011, 06:11 PM
... Brown is an extremely hard worker

And that is the best part of this story. Brown worked hard and reaped the benefits. I'm sure Tomlin has made that fact perfectly clear to other young players who may be struggling for PT.

Leadership by example.

Captain Lemming
12-17-2011, 08:04 PM

Yeah, my post was in reference to someone comparing their numbers for the year. If you really think that is fair, then you must be a huge Mark Sanchez fan.

Nevertheless, the reply on your part that you cannot compare the two is wrong because they DID play with the same QB. Had he not been a Steeler at all THEN you might have a point.

I would go on to say this: It is easier to compare these two receivers than it is to compare ANY two receivers who are not teamates

hawaiiansteel
12-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Brown sets all-purpose yards record

By Mike Prisuta - WDVE-FM

It was a record that stood since 1992, which meant something to Antonio Brown. And it was a Pittsburgh Steelers’ record, which meant everything to the franchise’s newly-anointed, all-time leader in single-season all-purpose yards.

“It’s prestigious,” Brown said after amassing 77 all-purpose yards in the Steelers’ 27-0 Christmas Eve victory over the St. Louis Rams, an output that ran Brown’s 2011 total to 2,048. “I play for one of the greatest organizations. To have something like that, it’s special.

“I’m just thankful.”

Brown totaled 8 yards rushing, 34 receiving, 5 on punt returns and 30 on kickoff returns against the Rams.

He had reported to Heinz Field with 984 receiving yards and was fixated on pushing that total into four figures to the extent that he was unaware running back Barry Foster’s mark of 2,034 all-purpose yards in 1992 was within striking distance.

“I had no idea,” Brown said. “I knew I was close to 1,000 yards receiving. That’s what I was kind of thinking about.”

Brown pushed his receiving yards total to 1,018.

His day also included a couple of tackles, one after an interception thrown by fill-in quarterback Charlie Batch, and one when the Rams tried a fake punt on fourth-and-10 from the Pittsburgh 44-yard line with 13:30 left in the second quarter and the Steelers leading, 3-0.

Special teams coordinator Al Everest said the Steelers were aware something might be up at that juncture and had all four eligible receivers either covered or sealed off due to the nature of the punt return they were running.

Punter Donnie Jones eventually took off running once he determined there was nowhere to throw the ball.

Brown blasted him 1-yard shy of the first down.

“I was about 35, 40 yards deep,” Brown recalled. “I saw at the snap of the ball he kind of hugged the ball like he was throwing a pass, so I hurried down to make a stop.”

Added Everest: “That’s (Brown’s) guy. Fortunately for us, Antonio read it, came up quickly and made the tackle. (Jones) took off running and Antonio made a great play.

“It was a good tackle. He’s a good football player.”

This season Brown has become an explosive football player as well. After reporting to training camp as “a highly conditioned athlete,” according to Coach Mike Tomlin, Brown has spent this season realizing more of the potential he flashed as a rookie, and he has earned enough trust from the coaching staff to have started three of the last six games.

Brown didn’t start against the Rams, as the Steelers opened with three tight ends, running back Rashard Mendenhall and Hines Ward at wide receiver. But Brown was able to do enough upon entering the game to continuing earning the respect and admiration of veterans such as Ward, as well as set the franchise record for all-purpose yards.

“Just phenomenal considering where the kid came from,” Ward said of Brown, a No. 6b draft pick (195th overall) from Central Michigan in 2011. “When he touches the ball special things always happen.

“I haven’t seen somebody with such big-play capability since (wide receiver Antwaan) Randle El. Every time on punt return I stand up because it could be the one. Hopefully, (Brown) will continue to gain confidence and make a name for himself in the postseason.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... abc082eb5a (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Brown-sets-all-purpose-yards-record/f04e7096-2e2d-4498-8bda-f4abc082eb5a)

skyhawk
12-25-2011, 02:20 AM
He sucks. He only got me 3 points in my fantasy league. :HeadBanger :stirpot

pittpete
12-25-2011, 09:21 AM
should've benched him like i did
I guessed correctly with Batch starting

hawaiiansteel
12-31-2011, 01:25 AM
Ed: Team MVP Biggest Surprise Since '83

THURSDAY, 29 DECEMBER 2011 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

The announcement today that Antonio Brown had won the Steelers MVP award in a vote by his teammates was stunning. I listed the candidates here this morning, led by Ben Roethlisberger, and never mentioned Antonio Brown.

Nothing against Brown, but he's not the team's leading receiver in yards, catches or touchdowns. In fact, he has three touchdowns, one on a punt return, and Mike Wallace has 8.

The fact that Brown broke the team record for all-purpose yards on Saturday may have pushed him into the forefront among his teammates when it came time to vote.

Brown, in his second season, did not start until the 10th game of the season when Hines Ward was demoted in Cincinnati Nov. 13. In the past nine games, he's topped 100 receiving three times and has led the team in catches and yards during that period.

What a story he's become, too -- first start Nov. 13, sets team record for all-purpose yards, makes first Pro Bowl and now this, voted the team MVP in maybe it's biggest upset since kicker Gary Anderson won the award in 1983.

I still think Ben Roethlisberger is their MVP -- take him away and they are not close to an 11-4 team -- but don't blame Brown for winning it. He obviously is popular among his teammates for many things and he's performed at a high level when given an opportunity.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... e-since-83 (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114122-ed-team-mvp-biggest-surprise-since-83)

RuthlessBurgher
12-31-2011, 01:32 PM
Ed: Team MVP Biggest Surprise Since '83

THURSDAY, 29 DECEMBER 2011 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

The announcement today that Antonio Brown had won the Steelers MVP award in a vote by his teammates was stunning. I listed the candidates here this morning, led by Ben Roethlisberger, and never mentioned Antonio Brown.

Nothing against Brown, but he's not the team's leading receiver in yards, catches or touchdowns. In fact, he has three touchdowns, one on a punt return, and Mike Wallace has 8.

The fact that Brown broke the team record for all-purpose yards on Saturday may have pushed him into the forefront among his teammates when it came time to vote.

Brown, in his second season, did not start until the 10th game of the season when Hines Ward was demoted in Cincinnati Nov. 13. In the past nine games, he's topped 100 receiving three times and has led the team in catches and yards during that period.

What a story he's become, too -- first start Nov. 13, sets team record for all-purpose yards, makes first Pro Bowl and now this, voted the team MVP in maybe it's biggest upset since kicker Gary Anderson won the award in 1983.

I still think Ben Roethlisberger is their MVP -- take him away and they are not close to an 11-4 team -- but don't blame Brown for winning it. He obviously is popular among his teammates for many things and he's performed at a high level when given an opportunity.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... e-since-83 (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114122-ed-team-mvp-biggest-surprise-since-83)

This team MVP voted by his peers probably means way more to the kid that being selected to the Pro Bowl. Knowing the way his teammates feel about him could actually make it more likely that the kid re-signs with us when the time comes.

frankthetank1
12-31-2011, 01:45 PM

i dont really agree because the same was said about wallace in his first couple of years when he was behind ward and holmes on the depth chart. then when holmes left people said wallace's numbers would decline since he would be going up against teams #1 cb. i think no matter what position you put brown or wallace in they will have great success.

hawaiiansteel
01-01-2012, 09:50 PM
congratulations to Antonio Brown who becomes the 1st player in NFL history with 1,000 receiving yards and 1,000 return yards! :Clap

BradshawsHairdresser
01-01-2012, 11:22 PM
congratulations to Antonio Brown who becomes the 1st player in NFL history with 1,000 receiving yards and 1,000 return yards! :Clap

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2