PDA

View Full Version : Three grades for tonight

drprwnap
12-09-2011, 01:00 AM
Ben: A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++
Wow! To come out and play on 1 1/2 legs and not stink up the joint is just FANTASTIC. Not only is he the toughest QB in the game today, he may be the toughest OF ALL TIME.

Kemo: F----------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you be any more of a worthless load???? I don't think so.

Tomlin: F----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not kicking the FG was absolutely STUPID. Game situation: you're franchise QB is hobbling around, the running game is struggling, and points are at a premium. FG would have guaranteed us a tie if the Browns score a TD. That decision could have cost us the game.

Discipline of Steel
12-09-2011, 01:03 AM
Wow! To come out and play on 1 1/2 legs and not stink up the joint is just FANTASTIC. Not only is he the toughest QB in the game today, he may be the toughest OF ALL TIME.

Not kicking the FG was absolutely STUPID. Game situation: you're franchise QB is hobbling around, the running game is struggling, and points are at a premium. FG would have guaranteed us a tie if the Browns score a TD. That decision could have cost us the game.

Tomlins gamble was acceptable to me. Score and you win, dont score and the Browneyes are looking at 99 yards after scoring 3 points all night. Is BA more to blame for not using Redzone Redman instead?

pittpete
12-09-2011, 01:05 AM
Disagree with the FG.
If we cant score on 4 plays from the 2 yard line after Ben came back in on 1 leg,then Tomlin just proved this O-line has no heart or will.
See him turn to Lebeau on 4th down and give him a worried look like "defense gonna be ready?"

Eddie Spaghetti
12-09-2011, 01:08 AM
I have no problem with going for it there.

good coaching.

hawaiiansteel
12-09-2011, 01:09 AM
Tomlins gamble was acceptable to me. Score and you win, dont score and the Browneyes are looking at 99 yards after scoring 3 points all night. Is BA more to blame for not using Redzone Redman instead?

who is to blame more:

BA for calling 4 straight unimaginative RUTFM plays, the OL for getting no push, or Mendy for not hitting/finding a crease better and finding a way to get the rock into the end zone?

Shoe
12-09-2011, 01:12 AM
Chalk another one up for going for it on 4th. It was a game feel situation that I certainly agreed with... I'm actually a gambling man who thinks teams should go for it more than they do. But in this case, you have to have faith in your team getting one yard there... and at worst, make them drive the length of the field on you.

My problem with it is continuing to pound Mendenhall in there like that, especially after Gocong laid him out on 1st. Redman is a beast in situations like this... why stick an upright dancer like Mendenhall in there like that. It's a minor quibble (because he was in the flow of the game, and he is a good back), but I definitely said, "Put Redman in there!" at the tiem.

sentinel33
12-09-2011, 01:17 AM
You take the points. With the condition the offense was in-take the points.

Can't fault Tomlin a whole lot. He's not perfect. He misses some calls every once in a while. But you take the points. Then have Kapinos boom it to the back of the end zone and make them go 80-as opposed to 99. You get 3 and they still gotta go the distance.

snarky
12-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Yeah, I thought going for it was the right call. And normally I would be a take the points and move on kinda guy. But given the amount of time left and the trouble the Browns had been having moving the ball. Hard to fault Mendy for not punching it in. I thought he might have done better on first down. But we just got collapsed after that.

Shoe
12-09-2011, 01:26 AM
One other thing: Hines Ward is my 1b favorite All-Time Steeler. But let's cut out trying to get him catches, for the sake of getting him catches. That bubble screen that they run with him every first or second series, it's so predictable... to the point where, if I was the cover guy on him at the start of a game, I'd be trying to jump that route and pick six it.

In any case, quit manufacturing ways to get him catches. If he can't make catches in the regular scheme, then too bad.

pittpete
12-09-2011, 01:29 AM
Game at home vs STL should be a bubble screen to Ward fest.
Getting him the 1000th at home will be big

papillon
12-09-2011, 01:33 AM

No the offensive line was awful that series, not Tomlin's fault and not Arians fault either. The line simply had to move the guy in front of them 1 yard and the Steelers get a touchdown.

Pappy

Sugar
12-09-2011, 01:37 AM

No the offensive line was awful that series, not Tomlin's fault and not Arians fault either. The line simply had to move the guy in front of them 1 yard and the Steelers get a touchdown.

Pappy

:Agree

That was the right call by Tomlin, IMO. However, the line got absolutely no push. Mendy was greeted at or behind the line by Browns all four times.

NottinghamForest_UK
12-09-2011, 05:44 AM

Agreed about Ben & Kemo, but I think the play call was right, get the TD and take the Browns out the game followed or limped out by Ben

Steelerphile
12-09-2011, 06:41 AM
I thought they should have kicked the FG because that one-two yards at the goalline is about the hardest yard on the field. The defense has not much turf to defend. Also when you've tried Run up the middle three times and got stuffed, I thought a different idea should have been attempted at least.

I don't think of that as a horrible decision to go for it. I understand the reasons. But Ben is not mobile and cannot roll out and give you a play action option run throw. You have already lost the ball twice in scoring position, I wanted something that was for sure.

Discipline of Steel
12-09-2011, 08:08 AM

who is to blame more:

BA for calling 4 straight unimaginative RUTFM plays, the OL for getting no push, or Mendy for not hitting/finding a crease better and finding a way to get the rock into the end zone?

I put the blame on BA for not utilizing his players in a way that maximized their abilities. He had four opportunities in a row and didnt adjust.

steelblood
12-09-2011, 08:45 AM

who is to blame more:

Play book was pretty limited with Ben's injury, calling a pass with that many guys at the line could have got him killed (not to mention that he couldn't take a three step drop). a toss play could have lost 4 yards. I don't like Bruce Arians, but I don't have any problem with the calls. The way we were running the ball, we should have been able to score with those plays.

Also, on third down Mendy simply chose to go the wrong way. if he cuts to the left, he walks in. The o-line did not get it done, but they (outside of Kemo) played pretty well for the rest of the game.

To the folks blaming Tomlin, I don't buy it. These are likely the same folks that complained every time Cowher settled for 3 in the same situation. Tomlin isn't perfect by any means, but to give him an F for this game is reedunkulous. This game wasn't a blowout for 2 reasons only - turnovers (2 in the red zone) and poor execution on the goal line. We should have won by 20 or more, but the coaching and game plan were not the our major short comings in this game. Going for it on 4th down was a great call. Heck, we got the ball back at the 35. If Kemo doesn't commit two straight penalties leading to Ben's pick, we get a FG any way.

Now, if you want to blame Tomlin for all of the penalties (most of them totally inexcusable), then I have no room to argue. That was terrible.