PDA

View Full Version : We actually could clinch this week...

sentinel33
12-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Not as much of a long shot as it may seem.

Oakland is @ Green Bay, Chicago is @ Denver, New Orleans is @ Tennessee, Kansas City is @ NY Jets and Houston is @ Cinci. Yes, 4/5 teams that we need to lose are playing at home. But right off the break, Oakland and Tennessee should be losses. Cinci is reeling, and while I have no clue anymore who is playing QB for the Texans, they still have Foster. That should be a loss to Cinci. The only real tough ones are the Denver game and the Jets. Tough to see Denver losing at home. Not a believer in the Chiefs at all. But hey-any given Sunday. It'd be nice to see the chips fall just right this week.

I would just like to administer a psychological jab to the rest of the conference. Especially Baltimore. "Hey, we're locked in. How are you guys doin'?" Heh heh heh.

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2011, 01:31 PM
For what it's worth, here are the possible permutations for us to clinch a playoff spot this weekend:

Pittsburgh can clinch a playoff berth with:
1) WIN + CIN loss + NYJ loss + TEN loss
2) WIN + CIN loss + TEN loss + OAK loss + DEN loss
3) WIN + CIN loss + NYJ loss + OAK loss + DEN loss

Even though the Ravens still hold the tiebreaker advantage over us, there is no possible way that Baltimore can clinch a playoff spot (although NE can clinch the AFC East title with a win and NYJ loss, and HOU can clinch the AFC South title with a win and a TEN loss).

AzStillers1989
12-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Interesting thoughts on scenerios for the playoffs. I choose to not look at this type of thing usually untill it is clear that we can clinch the division with set wins and/or loss's. Good work on calculating the scenerios out for us to ponder though.

LETS GO STEELERS !! :tt1

sentinel33
12-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Nice Ruthless. 'ppreciate that.

Slapstick
12-08-2011, 03:45 PM
I always prefer securing a spot in the post season as early as possible...once you're in, that's it...you are playing the rest of the games for seeding...

Sugar
12-08-2011, 04:09 PM
The first thing is that Cincy would have to lose. It will be a real test of what they're made of against Houston. Have they packed it in mentally like Bengals teams of the past or are they truly a different animal (pardon the pun)?

If they are relatively healthy, they should be able to beat the Texans. It's all about their mental state, IMO.

Ghost
12-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Houston could easily beat cincy with the defense they've been playing this year. They are fighting for a playoff spot as well. As long as the O manages the game and they pressure Dalton the Texans could be a big help.

papillon
12-08-2011, 04:36 PM
I'd rather have a Cincinnati win this week to move Houston behind us in the tiebreaker and worry about clinching some other week. If the Steelers can win out and Baltimore stumble and Houston stumble the Steelers go from 5th seed to #1 seed. I believe the Steelers own the tiebreaker over the Patriots should they win out.

Clinching this week would be nice, but having a shot at the #1 seed would be better. If the Steelers win out they'll clinch, just not this week.

Pappy

Ghost
12-11-2011, 09:44 PM
For what it's worth, here are the possible permutations for us to clinch a playoff spot this weekend:

Even though the Ravens still hold the tiebreaker advantage over us, there is no possible way that Baltimore can clinch a playoff spot (although NE can clinch the AFC East title with a win and NYJ loss, and HOU can clinch the AFC South title with a win and a TEN loss).

Steelers were 10 points and less than 3 minutes to go from being in when the Bears somehow forgot to play football and got Tebow'd...

papillon
12-11-2011, 11:16 PM

Scenario one didn't happen, because the Jets won
Scenario two didn't happen, because Denver won
Scenario three didn't happen, because the Jets and Denver won

Does this mean that if the Jets lose a game or Denver loses a game the Steelers clinch a spot?

If the Steelers beat San Fran this week, are they in the playoffs regardless of what other teams do?

Pappy